Author Topic: Success with tapering down?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline JGlav

• Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quit Date: 9/05/15
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Success with tapering down?
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
There is no taper. It is that bad of an addiction. Do not feed it any longer. Stop using, post a day one in October group and this group of guys will hold you accountable and
help you stay quit. Quit today. Your life depends on it.

JGlav - 308

Offline YoYo-

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-05-31
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Quote from: mpagett
Hey there everyone,

I am 23 and going on 7 years of chewing. Through these years I have chewed anywhere from half a can a day to a can a day or more. I have tried quitting cold turkey probably 4 times but have always faltered when there is a special event and went right back to it.

I am posting this to ask advice. Last month I decided that I want to quit for good. So I decided to dip at a normal rate for the entire month. I was on my 15th can when the month ended. So I decided to make a quitting plan. Every month I would decrease my chew intake by 1 can. So now I am at the end of this month and about half way through my last can.

I have a pretty good feeling about this plan, but from everything I'm reading on here, it sounds like going cold turkey is the best approach. For those who have been successful at quitting, what are your thoughts to my approach? Have any of you had success with tapering down before outright quitting?

Thank you all in advance,

Micah
Micah, if you're still around I'd like to hear from ya and hear what you are really looking for. These guys, though very brash at times, know what they're talking about. They built this site from the ground up and take pride in it.

At any rate, let's talk about a cold turkey quit plan and go from there. Everyone would gladly help when that happens. Hope to hear from you and see a daily post on roll.
Trying to earn my wife's trust One Day At A Time

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
Quote from: SamueL
Going cold turkey vs tapering could mean the difference between you developing cancer or not.

Besides, when you taper, you keep your body in a constant state of withdrawal because you're not giving it the amount of nicotine it WANTS, but you're still giving it SOME, so you remain chemically dependent on it but you never feel like you're getting enough. It's like masturbating but stopping yourself when you're about to ejaculate. You stay horny and you accomplish nothing. Either you whack it to completion like a good little addict or you don't do it at all.

If you ask me, I'd say it's time for you to stop beating your meat.
Very well put, I guess! I think everyone is wasting their time he's not man enough for ktc, he may have went down the road
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline SamueL

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
Going cold turkey vs tapering could mean the difference between you developing cancer or not.

Besides, when you taper, you keep your body in a constant state of withdrawal because you're not giving it the amount of nicotine it WANTS, but you're still giving it SOME, so you remain chemically dependent on it but you never feel like you're getting enough. It's like masturbating but stopping yourself when you're about to ejaculate. You stay horny and you accomplish nothing. Either you whack it to completion like a good little addict or you don't do it at all.

If you ask me, I'd say it's time for you to stop beating your meat.

Offline DjPorkchop

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Mother Fricker!!!
    • PaPa Ray's Photography
  • Quit Date: 9/17/2015
  • Interests: Brewing Beer and Building Cheap Smokers (UDS Drums)
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
Ohhh my bad! He said please don't reply unless we can tell him why cold turkey is the way to do it. Please allow me to retort!

I am so sorry man. I didn't mean to not listen to you in your post. Now let me get on to why cold turkey is your best option.

1. Your putting fucking poison in your body!!!!
2. If trying to quit the poison, why keep putting poison in your body?
3. Cold turkey sucks major ass at first but 3 days later all nic is out of your system and then it is all psychological after that.
4. It is rewarding in more ways than 1. Try it and see what them rewards are.

Is it going to suck? Yeah, really fucking bad. Is it manageable? Sure. Drink plenty of water, exercise, go hike, go walk etc etc. Use fake dip like Hooch if you have to or Smokey Mountain. The suck goes away. Cancer does not!

Take care and make the best decision of your life. It's time to act like a big boy now and nut up and do it.
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline DjPorkchop

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Mother Fricker!!!
    • PaPa Ray's Photography
  • Quit Date: 9/17/2015
  • Interests: Brewing Beer and Building Cheap Smokers (UDS Drums)
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
You have been given great words already and not much more I can add really. Like was said the last post, if you want to quit, quit. If not, don't. BUT If you do want to, you have come to the right place.

Quit plans NEVER work. Do not give in to any rhetoric bullshit. Quit plans do not work. Nic replacement therapy, now that is a royal joke. Lets not even talk about it besides saying it is not allowed here. No nic AT ALL and post daily is your cost of admission to this site. You have a BUNCH of bad ass quitters here that are here for you day in and day out. This site works if you work it properly. It is not a 12 step program or any of that stuff. You simply PROMISE not to use any nic just for today. Don't worry about tomorrow. Worry about today. Tomorrow will get here when it gets here and we can deal with it then.

Get as many numbers from your brothers and sisters of quit that you can and when you are in those moments that you mentioned and craves or temptations are rough, reach out and call. There is NEVER any good excuse to cave. Exactly what good does any form of nicotine do you? That's right absolutely no good at all. And PLEASE don't try the old excuse, well it all started with me and the boys drinking..... No!!!!! Reach out, use your numbers you traded for. If your drinking and your buddy offers you a blow job your not taking it right? So why take a dip, cigarette or stoagie? Is one ok and not the other? No!

Quit now man while you can! Save your life while you can! Lets get going and get some fucking quit going on up in here!

I quit with all the bad ass quitters that have posted in here today!

Ray - 290 no nic for me today! 'finger point' 'Finger' nic bitch!
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Quote from: Jungleland
Hey there everyone,

I am 23 and going on 7 years of chewing. Through these years I have chewed anywhere from half a can a day to a can a day or more. I have tried quitting cold turkey probably 4 times but have always faltered when there is a special event and went right back to it.

I am posting this to ask advice. Last month I decided that I want to quit for good. So I decided to dip at a normal rate for the entire month. I was on my 15th can when the month ended. So I decided to make a quitting plan. Every month I would decrease my chew intake by 1 can. So now I am at the end of this month and about half way through my last can.

I have a pretty good feeling about this plan, but from everything I'm reading on here, it sounds like going cold turkey is the best approach. For those who have been successful at quitting, what are your thoughts to my approach? Have any of you had success with tapering down before outright quitting?

Micah
The insight is most of us have tried tapering off and it simply will not work. You are a nicotine addict, as I am.

The only real difference between us is I'm an addict following the program and am quit for today, and you are still in denial that you are an addict.

Come back when you are really ready to quit. Take our advice, don't throw years and tens of thousands of dollars away.
^^^ I quit with this bad ass every day. Between us we have 2,500 days of win. If you don't wanna quit, don't. If you do - I'd listen to the winner above me.

Offline Jungleland

• Quitter
  • Interests: Living
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
Hey there everyone,

Micah
The insight is most of us have tried tapering off and it simply will not work. You are a nicotine addict, as I am.

The only real difference between us is I'm an addict following the program and am quit for today, and you are still in denial that you are an addict.

Come back when you are really ready to quit. Take our advice, don't throw years and tens of thousands of dollars away.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
Uh thanks? What I was really looking for is thoughtful insight... not degrading pep talks. Feel free to respond with WHY you think cold turkey is the way to go. If not that, please just don't respond. I am not looking for an internet debate. I really just want insight.

I understand that I am a guest, so understand that I am not trying to be disrespectful. If somehow it is disrespectful to wonder about a tapering approach to quitting, then I will absolutely go elsewhere to "coddle" my ego as you suggested.
You are too good for us. Good luck in your method of quit. After you've been quit for five years, come back here and tell us how you did it.

You don't want insight, you want affirmation. You might as well go to a vegan website and ask for affirmation for drinking milk to help you quit eating meat.

You are either quit, or you're not. Decide.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline jswiss11

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-01-08 00:24:00
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
hey dude, you can try it your way - but I can tell you just like the others have said - it won't work. we've all tried tapering. I wasted hundreds of dollars on the nicotine lozenges. you just end up abusing and craving.

when you are ready to fully QUIT - get mentally prepped. buy a shit ton of gum, seeds, candy or whatever else you want, but no chew. no nic. cold turkey brosky.

it will suck MAJOR ballz for about 2 weeks. then you're good to go one day at a time after that. 111 days quit myself today. it feels pretty fuckin good

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
Dude we don't play games here. Tapering down takes several years, quitting can start tonight, if you man enough! Sack up or try the coddle club! We would love to have you as a quit brother but don't expect a pat on the ass, this shits hard! I'll quit with you now!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
First off, man I wish I had quit when I was 23! I waited until I was 49. I really wish I had all of the money that I spent on tobacco back in my bank account.

I'm not sure what tapering down really accomplishes other than to deny yourself your daily dosage of nicotine. I'd suspect that approach would lead to reward days where you'd go through a couple cans all at once. This sounds like a bad idea to me.

Cold turkey is maybe a few weeks of misery, followed by some rough days here and there. The freedom that you gain will make that misery worth it and you'll realize that you won't ever want to go through those first few weeks again. Quitting with a group here will help you maintain your quit. Plus it will give you hours of entertainment as you bounce off the walls going through nicotine withdrawal. ;)

I hope you make the right choice for you.

Offline Palpatine

• Administrator
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 1.6.2016
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Quote from: njohns23
For me I had told myself over and over that I was going to quit the same way your talking about. The thing you need to realize is that you are addict and the only way to be quit is to stop using nicotine in any form possible. The more you try to wein off of it the worse it will be. You will have some bad days and then you will stuff your lip even more because you are still using. Think of it this way if you were to try to cut out a can a month you wouldn't even be able to start a actual quit for a little over a year. That is no way to quit. Take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself why you want to quit. If you can honestly say that you are quitting for yourself then this is the place to do it, it won't be easy, the first month or so you will be in a fog and most everything will piss you off, but the feeling you get when you reach the end of the day and you can say you didn't need nicotine today is feeling you need to experience.
^^^What this guy said.

You need to really ask yourself, "Do I want to quit?". If your answer isn't a definitive "NO", then you need to really think hard about what you are doing because you aren't ready. You can't quit for someone else like a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband/kids/parents/friends/dogs/fish/pastor/horse/tree/etc. You need to quit for YOU and only YOU.

Cold turkey is the only way to quit if you really want to quit. All tobacco companies and corporations are sold on the 'Nicotine cessation program' because tobacco companies sell the vapes, patches, etc. because they want to make money still. Nicotine is addictive and one of the most addictive drugs on this planet right there with pain killers like oxycodone and heroin. The only way to really do it is to do it cold turkey. Scary? Hell ya! I was freaking out because I wanted my 'program' to taper down sorta like you are saying but in my way. I was way wrong because once I tapered down to just one dip a day, something would affect my life and I'd be right back there with my friend putting down a can a day. One dip or one can...it didn't matter because I've already become an addict and I will ALWAYS be an addict.

You need to come to realize that YOU are an addict and you ALWAYS will be an addict. The quitting here is done one day at a time. Not one week or month or year or whatever...24 hours and then you come back again. Why? Because people who have quit for 2 years think that they can just have one dip because they have it under control. Total fucking bullshit wrong! The nicotine is a bitch and tells you lies. Guys have 'just one' and within a week they are back to 2 cans a day because that is what they did before.

Own your quit...you need to be 100% invested. If you aren't, come back when you are and read up. This place will prove to you that it works...but only if you are 100% sold on the system. Don't buck the system thinking you can do it better...this shit is HARD!!! That is why there are 27,000 people who have signed up for this place.

So, what say you? Are you in? Will you commit? I hope you do...because it is a ride at first but it is ultimate freedom from all of the stupid shit we all have done like driving 100 miles to get a can or leaving a party early to get a can or leaving a date to get a can or leaving your family to get a can. It owns you...take the step, own it, and go cold turkey and commit to the plan one day at a time by coming here, reading up, and helping others out with their quit.

I want you to quit...do you want to quit? Are you ready?
Good...good, let the quit flow through you!  -chewie

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
  • Quit Date: Today
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
Uh thanks? What I was really looking for is thoughtful insight... not degrading pep talks. Feel free to respond with WHY you think cold turkey is the way to go. If not that, please just don't respond. I am not looking for an internet debate. I really just want insight.

I understand that I am a guest, so understand that I am not trying to be disrespectful. If somehow it is disrespectful to wonder about a tapering approach to quitting, then I will absolutely go elsewhere to "coddle" my ego as you suggested.
You are right on target with being a guest in our house. These are our rules : boardrules/

KillTheCan is a NO NICOTINE SITE

Posting roll in a quit group, or posting anywhere outside of an intro, while using nicotine in any form (NRT, cigar, cigarette, chew, snuff, snus, etc) is not acceptable and may be grounds for banishment.
IP masking is immediate grounds for expulsion. Administrators can track IP address and if they change from one side of the country to the other...you are gone...period.

Multiple aliases will not be tolerated. Violators will be banned immediately

Administrators can and will ban domain names and IP addresses used for spam.

The QSX Forums are for quitters age 18 and above.

We will defend this house... topic/1006018/

I suggest that you review them.

2nd. You are either quit or you arent. There is no degree of quit or in the process of. I know for a fact there is no debate here, cold turkey, accountability and brotherhood, is the only thing that has worked.
There are no circumstances in which using nicotine will improve the outcome.

My journey. The best part it is not over yet.

Offline Njohns23

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
For me I had told myself over and over that I was going to quit the same way your talking about. The thing you need to realize is that you are addict and the only way to be quit is to stop using nicotine in any form possible. The more you try to wein off of it the worse it will be. You will have some bad days and then you will stuff your lip even more because you are still using. Think of it this way if you were to try to cut out a can a month you wouldn't even be able to start a actual quit for a little over a year. That is no way to quit. Take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself why you want to quit. If you can honestly say that you are quitting for yourself then this is the place to do it, it won't be easy, the first month or so you will be in a fog and most everything will piss you off, but the feeling you get when you reach the end of the day and you can say you didn't need nicotine today is feeling you need to experience.