Author Topic: My Entrance to Freedom  (Read 951 times)

Offline nicofiend

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My Entrance to Freedom
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Quote from: Radman
Congrats on your decision, if indeed it was YOUR decision. Let me first say that I am VERY much in favor of spousal support. I've posted on here many times that my wife has been very instrumental in supporting my quit. But, with that said, there is a difference in positive support and ineterference. My wife never liked by tobacco use, but she never tried to force me to quit, probably because it she knew it would have been pointless. Neither she nor I really understood addiction, or even knew that it was truly an addiction. Realizing that fact now, I understand that pressure from others can make an addict feel trapped, and inadvertently drive him right back to the can. The more forbidden the substance is, the more rewarding the addiction can potentially be.

I mention this mainly because your intro was all about your wife catching you and disapproving, except for the last sentence. That's only about 9.7 percent about YOU deciding to quit. Some of the vets around here have pointed out that quitting for somebody other than yourself (kids, wife, boss, etc) is opening the door to failure.

Face this shit head-on, quit because your life depends on it, and own your quit. You can do this.
Very well spoken, Radman!! Words of TRUTH!!

Offline Radman

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Family and friends. Other than that, anything outdoors....motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, racing.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Congrats on your decision, if indeed it was YOUR decision. Let me first say that I am VERY much in favor of spousal support. I've posted on here many times that my wife has been very instrumental in supporting my quit. But, with that said, there is a difference in positive support and ineterference. My wife never liked by tobacco use, but she never tried to force me to quit, probably because it she knew it would have been pointless. Neither she nor I really understood addiction, or even knew that it was truly an addiction. Realizing that fact now, I understand that pressure from others can make an addict feel trapped, and inadvertently drive him right back to the can. The more forbidden the substance is, the more rewarding the addiction can potentially be.

I mention this mainly because your intro was all about your wife catching you and disapproving, except for the last sentence. That's only about 9.7 percent about YOU deciding to quit. Some of the vets around here have pointed out that quitting for somebody other than yourself (kids, wife, boss, etc) is opening the door to failure.

Face this shit head-on, quit because your life depends on it, and own your quit. You can do this.

Offline Jtricher

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Yup. One. Day. At. A. Time. Tomorrow? Deal with it when it comes. Just quit. For today. Give me your word that you are quit for today. Don't lie to me. If things get tough and you are thinking about caving, reach out. So many resources on this site that you can use and rely upon before you reach that point. Glad to be quit with you.
I chose Freedom on May 26, 2011, at 9:16 PM CST. My Introduction
I entered the HOF on September 2, 2011, at 7:08 AM CST. My HOF Speech

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Welcome D4G. Like the man said, one day at a time.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Good decision to join a site with support. Get involved and post roll everyday and keep your word. You have quit before so you know the drill, it sux but gets better with time. Focus on 1 day at a time.

Offline Done4Good

• Quitter
My Entrance to Freedom
« on: June 23, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
So im not going to type a huge long essay on how i got here. Just the basics. So i started dipping when i was 14 with some friends at school. Then as years went by it became more and more of something I couldn't get away from. Eventually when I got my license i was flat out addicted and there was no turning back at that point for me. I was in it and in it for life. I eventually met a girl (who is now my fiance). She helped me get back on my feet with a lot of aspects of my life that were screwed up and we have been together ever since. I eventually got some serious cravings after fighting and caved. Of course since she thought I had quit I didn't tell her and lied about it. Not long after she caught me in the act or at least found evidence. This caused issues but we got through them. The bad part is like a freakin moron, I did it more than once. This has happened quite a few times over the course of our relationship. We eventually got engaged on October 6th 2010. The last straw was on June 22nd 2011.
I was on vacation with my parents and my fiance and she found a can in my clothes in the bathroom. she came out and just asked why. I played dumb until she hit me with it and then she asked where the rest was. I looked at her in the face and told her that was all I had. You all know that was a lie. Honestly I had bought two cans from the gas station when we got to Florida. The other can was in my bag which she found after she searched it and the rest is history. I found this site and decided that I was never going to cave again or let the nicotine destroy my relationship. I also would like to die from something other than cancer and get to live a long healthy life with my future wife and never regret quitting. In short...I'm Done4Good.
Done4Good[/B]