Author Topic: Luke7 intro  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Spence249

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Luke7 intro
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
Quote from: Diesel2112
Quote from: Luke7
My story starts in May 1998. I was in middle school and threw in my first chew on a bus with my teammates as we came home from an away game, celebrating the victory. I had that chew in for about 15 seconds before I almost threw up all over the bus. I took it out and tossed it out the window, put my head between my knees, and recovered.

I didnÂ’t touch chew again until December 2007. A friend offered me a chew and out of boredom I decided to try it out, even though I remembered how shitty it was back in Â’98. I took a tiny pinch, knowing that if I was going to enjoy it I should start small. That was the pinch I wish I could take back. I have thought about that moment many times in the last 7 years.

In 2008 and 2009 I didn’t chew frequently – a couple times a month - but I was forming a habit. In 2010 and 2011 I started chewing every week. In 2012 and 2013 I was chewing just about every day.

Since 2012 I have tried to quit by myself maybe a dozen times. I have never sought out a support group, and never “wanted to” really quit. My attempts to quit would last anywhere from a day to a few weeks at most (with one exception of quitting for 4 months in Jan 2013 – April 2013), but my mind would allow me to fall back into the habit because “I had been good” and “was chewing less, so it would be OK if I did it a only a little bit because that was still less than what I had been doing.”

At different times I lied to my friends, family, and wife about my habit. I would wake up early before my wife to have a morning chew with coffee sometimes. I would wait for my wife to run errands to sneak a dip. I would try to quit and throw out a half full tin just to find myself digging through the trash can an hour later to have another chew. The size of my dips kept getting bigger too. I got to the point in these last few weeks where I could only get about 4 dips out of a tin because I was throwing in such big lips. It is disgusting and I am ashamed of it.

I know that if I don’t stop, I’m going to get cancer. I have read about Tony Gwynn and Curt Schilling and don’t want to end up like those guys. I am thankful for everything I have in my life that I could potentially lose – great job, great family. I need to stop and re-wire my brain to 1) realize that it is not an option and I need to stop 2) actually stop for good. I know it is going to be hard. I am most worried that I don’t feel as if I have hit a “rock bottom” point yet, and that I may not be strong enough to re-wire my brain unless I have a “rock bottom” experience.

My triggers for craving a dip is anytime I am alone, stress from my work, whenever I am fishing/camping, watching sports on TV, and drinking beers. I use JakeÂ’s Mint Chew now and have decided to always have a tin of that on me at all times that I can go to when I start to find myself craving a tobacco chew.

Looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks for your support.
Why not keep chewing and get cancer. Would that be rock bottom enough? 4 dips per can...how about you get it up to one HUGE dip per can and you stroke out from nic overdose...Maybe that would be rock bottom? Maybe you erode your gums so bad that you have to have a slice of skin cut from the roof of your mouth and sewn onto your gum. Perhaps that would be rock bottom?

You want to quit, fucking quit. Don't leave yourself any "out" by thinking you haven't hit rock bottom yet. Sometimes mother fuckers who hit rock bottom never get back up. They Fucking die.

I'm not saying this to be a dick, I'm saying this because you need to push all your chips to the middle of the table and go all in with your quit.

If you're here on this site, then it's time to quit. Use some dickhead from Michigan cusing at you on an online forum your rock bottom. I don't give a shit.

Just Fucking quit. We are here to help.
As much as it pains me to admit this, the Michigan guy is right. Just Fucking Quit BEFORE you "hit rock bottom" and end up with no jaw because Cancer took it from you.

There are plenty of rock bottom stories to read about on here. Don't become another one.

Quit hard today!!

Offline Air Force ADDICT

• Eternal Quitters
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: Wife & kids, mountian biking/cycling, running, surfing/body surfing... Pretty much anything outdoors.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Welcome to the family brother. This might be the most challenging thing that you'll ever experience in your life so dig in your heels, let down your guard  be sure to invest into everyone in your quit group as well as us strangers here on KTC. The road to redemption is in sight my friend... Just take it one day at a time.

Offline Idaho Spuds

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: August 18, 2014
  • Interests: Family, Soccer, fishing, hunting, camping
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
Luke,
Welcome and congratulations on your quit.
Read everything on this site, get motivated, post roll each day and get pissed at nicotine.
It doesn't want you to quit, it doesn't want you to hit bottom, it wants you to forget about Curt, Tony and cancer but don't forget.
Stay strong, one day at a time,
Charles, pm me for digits

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
Glad to have you on board Luke!
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline VAWilly

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
No need quitting after the doctor diagnoses inoperable cancer. Just stop at the convenience store, stock up. chew, and meditate on your decision to wait until 'rock bottom' was encountered. and wait.

And BTW a friend of mine once told that you've reached bottom when you stop digging your hole.

Transparency and fellowship at KTC saved me. Chewed for 32 years, quit 100s of times and inevitably found myself back in bondage. Figured failing on my own efforts for 32 years was an indication that I needed power greater than my own if I was going to live free (yes there is irony in that statement but it works for me).

Decide. Post roll. Read. Repeat.

And ask for help.

Willy

Live Usefully

Offline jwright

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-09-01
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
Luke,

I'm only on day 2. Read your introduction post and pretty much all of your triggers/descriptions are things I will be fighting as well and I'll be rolling along side you through this. I'll shoot you PM to exchange some info for supporting one another.

J
"Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones."

-Benjamin Franklin

Introduction

HOF Speech

Quit Date: September 1, 2014

Offline slug.go

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/23/14
  • Interests: Family, motorcycles, all sports, hunting, fishing, guns
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
thanks for all the support

posted roll yesterday and today. feeling good.
This made me stronger, thanks, Luke. Welcome to the nut house.
Quit since 1/23/14

Offline Luke7

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-08-31
  • Interests: fishinghuntingsurfingcamping
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
thanks for all the support

posted roll yesterday and today. feeling good.

Offline Mupig

• Master of Quit
    • MUPig HoF Speech
  • Quit Date: April 14, 2014
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »
Brother Luke

I have been a nic victim for 35 years. Finally made the decision to quit for the rest of my life about 140 days ago. It is not easy, but guess what. With the support of the great guys (and a few gals) on this site - you can do it. It is a every damn day commitment. Not just for today or tomorrow but every damn day. You can't give in because your job sucked today, because you kid is sick, because your wife is bitching at you or even because of more serious things. We are a family here and you have us as your new brothers and sisters. We are here for you and you are here for us. Together we will beat this nic bitch and get here out of our system forever. I am PM'ing you my contact info (otherwise known as digits from other KTC people) I am here for you and expect you to be here for me. Every damn day - post your commit to quit. One day failure leads to 2 days of failure and then to a cave. If you post every day - you are committed to every day.

Anytime you need help = let me know and I am your other brothers are here for you.

Welcome to the quit and the best decision you will every make.

By the way - get your ass posting to December quit group - now and every day from now
Proud member of July 2014 DD’s

Offline Ron_Cross

• Quitter
  • I am quit
  • Quit Date: 8/30/2013
  • Interests: Started my own CPA firm!
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Luke,

We post roll here everyday, it is the single most important thing we do here. When you post roll you make a promise to yourself and to us that you will not use nicotine for today only. We wake tomorrow good lord willing and repeat.

You should check into the welcome center and read read read do the ground work to keep your quit a priority.

PM me if you need anything.

Offline NozzleHead

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-08-28
  • Interests: Spending time with the wife and my dogs. Fire and Rescue.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Proud to have you in our group. Now get a plan and get down to business. I know it seems weird when they say get numbers from the guys here...just do it. Look forward to seeing you on roll in the morning brother. Quit hard
Honor, Respect, Devotion

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Bro... This is not a habit. It's an addiction. Nicotine has you hooked.

How's that for rock bottom?

You're an addict.

That's not a pretty thing to hear or even admit but... Once you wrap your head around it, you can begin to deal with it. You need to spend some time reading this site. Understand your enemy... Understand your addiction to it.

Freedom is here... Reach for it.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
My story starts in May 1998. I was in middle school and threw in my first chew on a bus with my teammates as we came home from an away game, celebrating the victory. I had that chew in for about 15 seconds before I almost threw up all over the bus. I took it out and tossed it out the window, put my head between my knees, and recovered.

I didnÂ’t touch chew again until December 2007. A friend offered me a chew and out of boredom I decided to try it out, even though I remembered how shitty it was back in Â’98. I took a tiny pinch, knowing that if I was going to enjoy it I should start small. That was the pinch I wish I could take back. I have thought about that moment many times in the last 7 years.

In 2008 and 2009 I didn’t chew frequently – a couple times a month - but I was forming a habit. In 2010 and 2011 I started chewing every week. In 2012 and 2013 I was chewing just about every day.

Since 2012 I have tried to quit by myself maybe a dozen times. I have never sought out a support group, and never “wanted to” really quit. My attempts to quit would last anywhere from a day to a few weeks at most (with one exception of quitting for 4 months in Jan 2013 – April 2013), but my mind would allow me to fall back into the habit because “I had been good” and “was chewing less, so it would be OK if I did it a only a little bit because that was still less than what I had been doing.”

At different times I lied to my friends, family, and wife about my habit. I would wake up early before my wife to have a morning chew with coffee sometimes. I would wait for my wife to run errands to sneak a dip. I would try to quit and throw out a half full tin just to find myself digging through the trash can an hour later to have another chew. The size of my dips kept getting bigger too. I got to the point in these last few weeks where I could only get about 4 dips out of a tin because I was throwing in such big lips. It is disgusting and I am ashamed of it.

I know that if I don’t stop, I’m going to get cancer. I have read about Tony Gwynn and Curt Schilling and don’t want to end up like those guys. I am thankful for everything I have in my life that I could potentially lose – great job, great family. I need to stop and re-wire my brain to 1) realize that it is not an option and I need to stop 2) actually stop for good. I know it is going to be hard. I am most worried that I don’t feel as if I have hit a “rock bottom” point yet, and that I may not be strong enough to re-wire my brain unless I have a “rock bottom” experience.

My triggers for craving a dip is anytime I am alone, stress from my work, whenever I am fishing/camping, watching sports on TV, and drinking beers. I use JakeÂ’s Mint Chew now and have decided to always have a tin of that on me at all times that I can go to when I start to find myself craving a tobacco chew.

Why not keep chewing and get cancer. Would that be rock bottom enough? 4 dips per can...how about you get it up to one HUGE dip per can and you stroke out from nic overdose...Maybe that would be rock bottom? Maybe you erode your gums so bad that you have to have a slice of skin cut from the roof of your mouth and sewn onto your gum. Perhaps that would be rock bottom?

You want to quit, fucking quit. Don't leave yourself any "out" by thinking you haven't hit rock bottom yet. Sometimes mother fuckers who hit rock bottom never get back up. They Fucking die.

I'm not saying this to be a dick, I'm saying this because you need to push all your chips to the middle of the table and go all in with your quit.

If you're here on this site, then it's time to quit. Use some dickhead from Michigan cusing at you on an online forum your rock bottom. I don't give a shit.

Just Fucking quit. We are here to help.
Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

"Celebrate the moment as it turns into one more"..
"You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win, win without a fight".
"Onion rings...funyons. A connection? Yeah. I fucking think so."
"Honest Abe had a fake jaw".
"In a world that seems so small, I can't stop thinking big"
"Someone set a bad example. Made surrender seem all right
The act of a noble warrior. Who lost the will to fight."

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
  • Quit Date: Today
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
Luke,

Welcome to the hardest yet most rewarding experience of your life. Please take the time to read everything on here. It helps with the quit so, so, much. But it only helps if you form a quit team. Begin by reaching out to your fellow quitters in ur support group. Then go to the chats, get the kakao app, post, read and reflect. There is only one unforgivable sin, to use nic again. So if you mess up roll, its all good, you have major rage, fog, emotions, and confusion, its all good. However it is not reason to go back.

I was in your spot 40 days ago, I came clean with everyone it was the hardest thing I ever did. I did it with the support of the quitters here. Please reach out and do not loose sight of this powerful tool you now have.

Welcome to one day at a time
There are no circumstances in which using nicotine will improve the outcome.

My journey. The best part it is not over yet.

Offline Luke7

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-08-31
  • Interests: fishinghuntingsurfingcamping
Luke7 intro
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »