Author Topic: Joined the Army, having to quit!  (Read 1202 times)

Offline ArmyIvan94

• Likes Given: 0
Re: Joined the Army, having to quit!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
This support is just so awesome! I'm now about 15 hours into this thing. I feel like a damn zombie but I just get on here and it's giving me the courage to grab the apple or the gum instead of the cash and the keys to go down to the store with. And yeah part of the reason I'm on this site is I want to STAY quit after basic. I know I can to! Thanks for the support guys :)
MARCH BEAR SLAYING MAD MEN OF QUIT!!!
We some crazy motherfuckers ;)

Offline Crick

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hunt'n, fish'n, and cruis'n on the HD.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Congratulations on your quit and thank you for enlisting. The first time I quit was in boot camp. It was a forced quit. The first liberty we got, I and a bunch of other ADDICTS headed to the first gas station and injected nicotine straight into our bodies. This is a complete life style change. You can never have another. No matter how stressful your life is. Even when some ass is dipping right in front of you, you have to look at the hold the nic bitch has had on your life and reject her. After 29 years of dipping, I am now quit 918 days. This site is what helped me. Your life is now getting better. keep it up.
Crick
Quit 5/29/10
Die'n aint much of a liv'n.
Destiny is not determined by chance. It is determined by choice.

Offline zam

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit is not a passive activity.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
Congrats on kicking nicotine to the curb. In the spirit of openness and honesty - you know that you don't HAVE to quit because of the Army, right? I mean, there are a shit LOAD of grunts that dip, smoke, etc. And after basic training, you'll be thinking "what better way to celebrate than a nice fat lipper." So, take a look at ALL the reasons to quit. Now. While your strong. Don't get me wrong, the decision is great, I just want you to realized the bazillion other good reasons to quit. (my #1 reason to quit: nicotine had me stepping and fetching like a slave, just to support the habit. literally. She does you, too. )

Read the HOF speeches and other stuff here, and you're eyes will open to the myriad of reasons to quit, and the thousands of bullshit reasons we gave for dipping (example: to relieve anxiety. it doesn't). Reading the info on the site is a GREAT way to pass through the fog and stay focused on the goal.
*Quit today. Full stop. No qualifiers. Tomorrow?... IDK, IDC.

Offline CoachDoc

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-02-24
  • Interests: Coaching football/baseball, reading, hiking, kayaking, camping, watching my 4 sons grow up
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Ivan:

Good decision. Now, you need to devote yourself to this quit in the same manner you are devoting yourself to the military. It isn't a part-time thing. It can't be in order to make someone proud. It isn't to get the chicks.

Like the military, quitting is a CHOICE you make that needs to be about YOU and for YOU. It is an entirely different WAY OF LIFE.

You should be posting roll every day before you go to boot. NO EXCUSES for missing roll. Consider it (mild) training to get you ready for boot.

Now boot will be a time that will test you, mentally and physically. To kill the physical nic cravings before you get there is a GREAT thing to do. But, as I am sure you are already picking up on, the mental addiction is much worse and a lot longer acting. During boot, you will likely do well, but you are going to have to be VERY VIGILANT once boot is over and you come back out to the "real" world and then have access to all that you were denied while in basic. You can do this...you will have hundreds of supporters and brothers here that will help you.

Let me know if there is anything I can do...and if you need a number, all ya have to do is ask.

CoachDoc
Blah...Blah...Blah...You keep TALKIN....I'll keep QUITTIN

I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to support YOUR quit.

Quit Date: 2/25/10 and every day since
HoF: June 4, 2010
HOF Speech
10th Floor: November 20, 2012

Offline Tazbutane

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 11/22/12
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Ivan,

Welcome to March Bear Slaying Mad Men of Quif!

Good to quit with you brother. Quiting here is a day by day promise to yourself and the others on this site:

1. Post roll as early as you can every day - This is your promise to remain nic free
2. Keep your promise
3. See step 1

The Live Chat link on the upper right of the page is a good place to get to know people and to get some numbers.

Semper Fi
March 2013 - Mad Men of Quit        
Quit date: 11/22/12          
Sobriety Date: 4/10/2006         
HOF Date 03/02/2013         
Semper Fidelis

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
1) They let people born in 1994 enlist in the army and have guns and shit?!? Dammit, I feel a lot older this morning after reading that...

2) thank you for enlisting. People like you keep the rest of us safe.

3) congrats on your decision to quit. It's the best one you'll ever make, and to do so at 18 you are miles ahead.

I see they already got you info on posting roll. Do it daily, keep your word, and you shall succeed. Welcome to the nut house.
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
Quote from: ArmyIvan94
Quote from: Mike_Land
Hey guys! My name is Ivan Bates. I'm 18 and I enlisted in the Army and leave for Ft. Benning in about 30 days (Jan 2nd is my ship date). I have dipped for about 3 years to alleviate anxiety and I need to quit seeing as how I can't have it in basic and I don't want to go back after I have quit. My quit group is the March one and I posted my first post there but other than that I really don't know what to do. I would apreciate some advice and seriously appreciate the moral support! Thanks guys :)

Ivan
Congratulations on your decision to quit. Also thank you for deciding to serve our country. I have a son who finished basic this past Feb. and is currently serving in Korea.

Expect things to really really suck for the first 3 or 4 days. There is a reason they call it the "SUCK". Just be determined to work through it. Keep yourself occupied. Drink lots of water.

Get some gum, atomic fireballs, seeds etc to help with the cravings. I use the dregs from a used tea bag and pack it like a real dip. Trust me the act of holding something in your lip helps with the cravings.

If you hang out here expect to be held accountable!! They guys here do not hold anything back. If you need an ass kicking they will give it to you.

There are alot of people here to help you. PM any of us if you need some help getting through some tough spots.
Thanks man! :)
Check your in box (1)
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline ArmyIvan94

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »
Quote from: Mike_Land
Hey guys! My name is Ivan Bates. I'm 18 and I enlisted in the Army and leave for Ft. Benning in about 30 days (Jan 2nd is my ship date). I have dipped for about 3 years to alleviate anxiety and I need to quit seeing as how I can't have it in basic and I don't want to go back after I have quit. My quit group is the March one and I posted my first post there but other than that I really don't know what to do. I would apreciate some advice and seriously appreciate the moral support! Thanks guys :)

Ivan
Congratulations on your decision to quit. Also thank you for deciding to serve our country. I have a son who finished basic this past Feb. and is currently serving in Korea.

Expect things to really really suck for the first 3 or 4 days. There is a reason they call it the "SUCK". Just be determined to work through it. Keep yourself occupied. Drink lots of water.

Get some gum, atomic fireballs, seeds etc to help with the cravings. I use the dregs from a used tea bag and pack it like a real dip. Trust me the act of holding something in your lip helps with the cravings.

If you hang out here expect to be held accountable!! They guys here do not hold anything back. If you need an ass kicking they will give it to you.

There are alot of people here to help you. PM any of us if you need some help getting through some tough spots.
Thanks man! :)

Offline ArmyIvan94

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
Lol I've never heard that one before ;D Thanks for the advice. I can't even imagine trying to quit after all of that time but if you can do it I can definatly flush 3 years down the toilet as well. I'll add you to my buddies list and if I get some really bad battles with my addiction I'll holler at you. Thanks :)

Offline Mike_Land

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Triathlons and my girls, Wife Michelle and Daughter Olivia.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:51:00 AM »

Ivan

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »

Ivan
Ivan, welcome to KTC. In one way, I am so envious of you. Only 3 years dipping? I was a jack wagon idiot for 21 years before I finally quit. I feel like you are smarter than me since you came to the conclusion to spit it out now.

I do have more wisdom about quitting. First and foremost, cravings will sometimes be an all out war to fight. Use this site, chat, read and find someone who can get you laughing. Some of these quitters sense of humor, got me through some battles. I would laugh and my mind forgot that I was craving.

Never think about how hard or if you can stay quit forever. You quit every day now. You have no future with nicotine so wanting her is only in the present. You are strong enough to go one day without nic. That is the mind set. Promise by posting roll, keep your promise, quit for today. When tomorrow becomes today...repeat the process.

Simple and fail proof if you follow it. I have and today is 264. I wish I had this freedom from vice at 18.

Stay smart and never return to that can of lies ever again. If you don't follow this plan, you won't seem so smart. ;) I am so glad you are here. I wish you good determination. You don't need luck here. You just do it. PM me if you would like my number for support. Make it to the hall and I will call you....Master Bates. 'crackup' Yep it's old to you but I wanted to be the first guy on the site to write it.
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech

Offline ArmyIvan94

Joined the Army, having to quit!
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »

Ivan