Author Topic: Two Months  (Read 917 times)

Offline Colonel_No_Cope

• BANNED
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Two Months
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Quote from: sgtspurge
Hello all!

I'm a Soldier in the U.S. Army. I first tried to quit back in 2010 and failed due to the stress of an upcoming deployment. I continued to dip all the way through an 11-month tour in Iraq. When the PX ran out of dip, everyone was hurting. Then, I managed to get some dip sent to me from the States. I had people coming to me to buy dip. It was crazy. I decided that I needed to figure something out. I was dependent on the stuff. It controlled me. I have no moral qualms with using various things for recreational purposes. I would include alcohol and tobacco in that statement. However, when something controls you, it is time to stop it. So I got back from Iraq in September. In October, I made a spontaneous decision to stop. I had ran out of dip. My wife and I went to the grocery store. I was getting light headed and quite irritable. My wife insisted that I go buy a can of dip. So off I went, only I didn't go up front to the Customer Service counter. Instead, I went over to the pharmacy section. When I rejoined my wife, I had a box of the Nicorette lozenges. I had finally snapped. I decided that I did not wish to be controlled any longer. I believe that was 24 October, but I may be a week or so off. I started on Nicorette's program, but found that I didn't need to take the lozenges as often as it initially prescribed. I then quickly lost count of my days and weeks. Oh well, it didn't seem to matter. I found that I was slowly weening myself off of nicotine. Then, on Saturday, 17 December, 2011, I took my last lozenge. I haven't looked back. I can now say that I'm two months post-dipping and a full 13 days post-nicotine.

I still find that I want something in my mouth and I am looking at the fake dips just for the recreation of that oral satisfaction. I found a couple of cans of fake pouches from my first attempt at dipping. One was Smokey Mountain Chew's Winter Green pouches and the other is Oregon Mint Snuff's Mint. During my first attempt at quitting, I tried SMC, Hooch, and Oregon Mint. I plan to write reviews of the flavors/brands I tried on another thread. Right now, I'll say that the fake pouches I found have satisfied the need for something in my mouth. They actually do a better job than the lozenges or mints. I don't like having something hard against my gums/lips but I do like the softness of a pouched product. Sometimes I find myself craving a long cut. So, I think I'm going to order some sample products of some of the fake dips out there and write new reviews on them. There are a couple of new products out there that weren't there when I tried to quit last year.

Anyway, here's to proving that you can quit. If I can do it, anyone can do it. 'qt'
Hey Soldier... sounds like you have had a tough go at this already.

Your struggles with nicotine are not unlike nearly every quitter on KTC. So, you are among brothers that understand fully.

As for the Army environment as it relates to this addiction... well, I (among a number of other military quitters here) fully understand the tobacco culture in the service. So, again, you are among brothers that know what you are facing.

Hell, I dipped for 21+ years... nearly every single day of my career. On top of that, I dipped and smoked to excess thru everyday of my 400 days in Iraq. Talk about damage to our bodies... as if the stress was not enough.

So, with that said, "welcome to the best decision of your life".

Now, get out there and read everything you can on this site... lots of words of wisdom and experience, then do NOT forget to post roll call... make your promise for today, then come back tomorrow and do the same.

Always good to see another Soldier get off this shit... the career is dangerous enough as is.

Thank you for your service.

Colonel

Offline kd5fic

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Hello all!

I'm a Soldier in the U.S. Army. I first tried to quit back in 2010 and failed due to the stress of an upcoming deployment. I continued to dip all the way through an 11-month tour in Iraq. When the PX ran out of dip, everyone was hurting. Then, I managed to get some dip sent to me from the States. I had people coming to me to buy dip. It was crazy. I decided that I needed to figure something out. I was dependent on the stuff. It controlled me. I have no moral qualms with using various things for recreational purposes. I would include alcohol and tobacco in that statement. However, when something controls you, it is time to stop it. So I got back from Iraq in September. In October, I made a spontaneous decision to stop. I had ran out of dip. My wife and I went to the grocery store. I was getting light headed and quite irritable. My wife insisted that I go buy a can of dip. So off I went, only I didn't go up front to the Customer Service counter. Instead, I went over to the pharmacy section. When I rejoined my wife, I had a box of the Nicorette lozenges. I had finally snapped. I decided that I did not wish to be controlled any longer. I believe that was 24 October, but I may be a week or so off. I started on Nicorette's program, but found that I didn't need to take the lozenges as often as it initially prescribed. I then quickly lost count of my days and weeks. Oh well, it didn't seem to matter. I found that I was slowly weening myself off of nicotine. Then, on Saturday, 17 December, 2011, I took my last lozenge. I haven't looked back. I can now say that I'm two months post-dipping and a full 13 days post-nicotine.

I still find that I want something in my mouth and I am looking at the fake dips just for the recreation of that oral satisfaction. I found a couple of cans of fake pouches from my first attempt at dipping. One was Smokey Mountain Chew's Winter Green pouches and the other is Oregon Mint Snuff's Mint. During my first attempt at quitting, I tried SMC, Hooch, and Oregon Mint. I plan to write reviews of the flavors/brands I tried on another thread. Right now, I'll say that the fake pouches I found have satisfied the need for something in my mouth. They actually do a better job than the lozenges or mints. I don't like having something hard against my gums/lips but I do like the softness of a pouched product. Sometimes I find myself craving a long cut. So, I think I'm going to order some sample products of some of the fake dips out there and write new reviews on them. There are a couple of new products out there that weren't there when I tried to quit last year.

Anyway, here's to proving that you can quit. If I can do it, anyone can do it. 'qt'
For starters, thank you for what you do/did over in the sand box...there are alot of soldiers/military men on these boards and I'm quite sure they will be along shortly.

Now, I am happy that you decided to quit. You have picked the best place around to do it. You will find a ton of guys around here that have similar stories to yours.

If you have been nic free for 13 days like you said, then your quit group is March 2011. You need to head over there and post roll, your promise to your fellow quitters that you will stay nic free for today. Worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes. Its been said around here that the secret to success is simple:

1) post roll
2) stay quit
3) repeat

it really is that simple. I suggest you spend some time reading all that you can, read so HOF speechs, look at the cancer pics, do whatever it takes to keep the nic out of your system....You have made it through the physical part of quitting, but you are definitely not out of the woods yet. Prepare yourself for battle, because it is definite not over!
13th Floor 07/23/2014
12th Floor 04/14/2014
11th floor 01/04/2014
3 years - 12/31/2013
The COMMA - 10th floor 09/26/2013
9 th floor 06/18/2013
8th Floor 03/10/2013
2 years 12/31/2012
7th Floor 11/30/12
6th Floor 8/22/12
5th Floor 5/14/12
4th Floor 2/4/12
1 year - 12/31/2011
3rd floor 10/27/2011
2nd floor 07/19/2011
HOF: 04/10/2011
QD: 01/01/2011
HOF Speech

Offline Leahy16

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Hello all!

spurge, that's a great start. Read the Welcome Center (upper left on the screen) and then head on over to March 2012 and post roll. March is your quit group (March is when you hit 100 days quit). Get to know those folks, maybe get some numbers, and get to being part of the solution.

Thanks for your service to our country and Welcome Home Soldier!
Quit Date Jun 5, 2011; HOF Sep 12, 2011; 1,000 days Feb 28, 2014

Offline sgtspurge

Two Months
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Hello all!