Author Topic: Oh man, here I go.  (Read 1263 times)

Offline andrew

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Oh man, here I go.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
How's the quit going? Is it hot yet where you're at? It's been mid-90's all week...
QUIT 01/03/11
HOF 04/12/11

THIS IS YOUR DAY TO BE QUIT.

Offline whatbriandid

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
Hey guys thanks for all the support! I am 28 hours clean now! I woke up about 3 times last night in my sleep but was expecting it. I'm gonna head to the quit group and get myself onto a role call. Once again thanks for all your support.

Brian

Offline andrew

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
It's true. I'm here.

The truth is, it doesn't matter where you are when you quit. It's going to suck. You just have to grab your balls and man up and commit to it one day at a time.

Good luck, you can make it. It's well worth it, and after the fog lifts in a week or two you will not regret it.
QUIT 01/03/11
HOF 04/12/11

THIS IS YOUR DAY TO BE QUIT.

Offline bnlelliott

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Quote from: whatbriandid
Hello everyone,

My name is Brian. I am in the Army and currently deployed to Iraq. I have been dipping for 5 years now and tried about 3 times to quit. This will be my 4th. I really thought It would be hopeless, for those of you that have deployed, you know how much more nicotine means over here with all of the stresses and trying to stay awake on patrol. But the good side of being deployed is that I can't drink alcohol so that can work greatly to my advantage.

Ironically, I just bought 3 more cans of Skoal straight and came back to my room before finding this site, truthfully I don't know why I bought those cans. I took my last dip and threw it out and found every can in my room and gave it to one of my soldiers (he doesn't use tobacco and told me he would take care of it).

Yesterday I kind of gave myself a little preview of what a 5 hr patrol on the road would be like without a dip in, it was not fun, eventually I failed and bummed one from my SGT. But I think the more that I think about it, I make it into a bigger monster than it really is. Well here it is 15:30 Iraq time 20MAR2011, I'm quitting. I don't want to be a slave to the can anymore. Thanks for reading.
Another Brian here...dude I have more respect for you than you will ever know. I have done the quit thing...(2 years now)...but you are doing stuff now that there is no way I've got the balls to do. Kudo's to you...and to the rest of you guys out there that have our backs...our fronts...and everything else we've got to protect! If you can do THAT job (which I couldn't) I KNOW you're man enough for this one.

Stay quit...and if you need anything...let us know.
Brian
May '09

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us.
-Jerry Garcia

Read My HOF Speech, Maybe It'll Help!

That Decision Has Been Made Today!

Quit Date 2/17/2009
HOF Date 5/27/2009
1 Year 2/16/2010
2 Years 2/16/2011

Offline CoachDoc

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-02-24
  • Interests: Coaching football/baseball, reading, hiking, kayaking, camping, watching my 4 sons grow up
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Shit hot posts all around. As a former corpsman with the marine corps I am proud of your dedication to Country and Quit. You can count on one thing...some of the things you have had to go through - the mental games - are much tougher than the quit. You have mentally survived a ton...like you said, don't let the quit become more of a monster than what it is.

There are lots of active and former military on here that know exactly what you are going through - and plenty of people that might not know, but will support the hell out of you anyway. If you ever need anything, you just call out...I got your back...and promise that there are hundereds of others that do too.

- CoachDoc
Blah...Blah...Blah...You keep TALKIN....I'll keep QUITTIN

I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to support YOUR quit.

Quit Date: 2/25/10 and every day since
HoF: June 4, 2010
HOF Speech
10th Floor: November 20, 2012

Offline FLORIDA LUKE

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Good stuff here guys. As a former military man myself I respect all military. You have have some big balls quitting overseas. If you guys need anything Message me I mean anything.

Stay safe over there.

Luke
FLORIDALUKE
GUARD DEC 2010

HOF 12/23/2010
2nd 04/02/2011
3rd 07/11/2011
1 Year 09/14/2011
4th 10/19/2011
5th 01/27/2012

YOUR MIND IS YOUR MOST POWERFUL DRUG.

Offline rhester03

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Hey man,

I'm in Iraq too, and I'm 48 days quit. Andrew is in my unit, and there are four other guys who are in our unit, who have quit along with us, although they aren't members of KTC. You can do it as long as you make the no shit decision that it is what you want to do. No one can make you do it. You have to wake up one day and acknowledge that you have been foolishly wasting your money for years, and you have been selfishly putting cancer causing agents in your body. If you think you are only hurting yourself, read the story about Jenny and Tom Kern that is on the home page of KTC and think about who you are actually hurting. Your parents? Wife? Brother? Sister? Children? There are plenty of ways to die, why try for a way that you can completely avoid? If, after you have made your decision to quit and you are having problems, go talk to your PA, they will be able to help you out as well. This site is also a tremendous help as well. Post roll every morning and hold yourself accountable.

Despite what everyone says about stress over here, I think it is a lot easier here than it would have been back home. I don't think I could have done it having to go to the gas station and walk away without a pouch, or listen to the kids fighting all night without throwing one in to "calm my nerves," or whatever excuse that was made at the time to justify paying for cancer. There are less places to get the nicotine, and less of your routine triggers that need to be fought because we don't have a legitimate routine here.

You can do it, there are others of us doing it right along with you.

Offline jaygib

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Welcome Brian. I'm not facing the same stresses you are but in my own experience every one that I did face was just justification I'd used in the past to dip. I chose to dip then and I choose not to now. Easy for me to say a couple months in as it will be for you when you're a couple months in but in the beginning it can be nasty hard. If you've got it in you to put your life on the line for strangers from this country and from other nations you can certainly handle this challenge.
Quit January 19, 2011

Everything is permissible for me but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor 6:12

Offline csucomms1

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Hello Brian and welcome to KTC. I am also in the Middle East right now working under immense pressure and can relate to a certain degree the struggles you face each day as you look that nic bitch in the eyes and go through genuine want; want to feel that rush, want to get that adrenalin pumping to keep you awake, thinking that she is helping you focus.

What I wanted to tell you is that you are not the first, and you certainly are not the last person who is deployed overseas to have stumbled upon this site. There is a man here named Andrew who is also in Iraq right now. He is a member of my quit group, April 2011. He is over 72 days quit I believe right now. Don't quote me but where I am at our bandwidth isn't great for me to go fact check his total days clean. My point is that we are all here for the same reason, we all started with a fear of failure, and you know what, we are all fucking clean and loving it.

It's going to suck, its going to make you question your decision in the days coming, but you have got to want this for you and you alone. Fuck the outside influences, fuck any residual emotions that you attribute dipping to patrolling, and most of all fuck any of those who serve to waiver you from your desire or will.

This site is the only thing that constantly reminds me of my quit, my resolve, and most of all Soldier, that I gave my word to a bunch a strangers, people who share shit with me and I with them that we don't discuss with even our spouses. Didn't you give your word to all your Brothers and Sisters, Countrymen and Women that you would support and defend? Do you honor that word daily? If so, its time you buck up, post roll and keep your word to us. It's gonna suck, expect that, embrace that fucked up feeling, write it down, choke it all down and know you did this to yourself, and NEVER will you let yourself make the decision to let this Nic Bitch back into your veins. This quit is about you and you alone. Never hesitate to reach out to your brothers and sisters here if you need support. Keep that shit out of your mouth and stay strong! PM me if you need to talk, anytime.

-Matt
"Go Hard or Go Home"

The only easy day was yesterday! - US Navy SEALS

Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do. -Thomas Jefferson

Quit Date: January 18, 2011

Introduction Thread
HOF Speech

Offline whatbriandid

Oh man, here I go.
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Brian. I am in the Army and currently deployed to Iraq. I have been dipping for 5 years now and tried about 3 times to quit. This will be my 4th. I really thought It would be hopeless, for those of you that have deployed, you know how much more nicotine means over here with all of the stresses and trying to stay awake on patrol. But the good side of being deployed is that I can't drink alcohol so that can work greatly to my advantage.

Ironically, I just bought 3 more cans of Skoal straight and came back to my room before finding this site, truthfully I don't know why I bought those cans. I took my last dip and threw it out and found every can in my room and gave it to one of my soldiers (he doesn't use tobacco and told me he would take care of it).

Yesterday I kind of gave myself a little preview of what a 5 hr patrol on the road would be like without a dip in, it was not fun, eventually I failed and bummed one from my SGT. But I think the more that I think about it, I make it into a bigger monster than it really is. Well here it is 15:30 Iraq time 20MAR2011, I'm quitting. I don't want to be a slave to the can anymore. Thanks for reading.