Author Topic: Quitting for good 08/14/2013;  (Read 2889 times)

Offline jonathanrivers

• Quitter
    • jonathanrivers.com
  • Interests: Sports, stocks, sex
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quitting for good 08/14/2013;
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Quote from: Joeytc213
THis is day 4 of my quit and going strong! I have noticed i've been eating like a damn animal the last 4 days though. Anybody else experience this? I can't seem to stop eating, food, candy, you name it. I'm wondering if I would dip to supress my appetite and didn't even realize it. I'd rather put on a few pounds than lose half my body weight from chemo though.
Just some advice...something I did that helped me not gain a whole lot of weight up until this point....

Snack on stuff that doesn't invovle carbs. I know that seems obvious to some people, but you'd be amazed at how few people know that carbs (and sugar) are what make you gain weight the fastest.

Beer, potatoes chips, popcorn, even fruit (which is loaded with sugar, too) ---- stay away from it. The sugar is converted to storable energy (fat)...whereas "fat"...much of it is digested and passed through when you take a shit.

When choosing between fat and carbs...always choose fat. It sounds counterintuitive but it's helped me.

I had the most success with celery+peanut butter and beef jerky. Both of which have next to no carbs.

I started my quit at about 175 and now weight about 182...and that's after drinking a few beers every night after work to help go to sleep.
Telling that dirty whore to fuck off since 2/21/2012. You can do it too. Just stop being a pussy and do it.

jonathan's Introduction

jonathan's Hall of Fame Speech

Offline Notdeadyet

• Quitter
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
THis is day 4 of my quit and going strong!  I have noticed i've been eating like a damn animal the last 4 days though.  Anybody else experience this?  I can't seem to stop eating, food, candy, you name it.  I'm wondering if I would dip to supress my appetite and didn't even realize it.  I'd rather put on a few pounds than lose half my body weight from chemo though.
Read this: Increased Appetite or Hunger

and this: Minimizing Weight Gain

and especially this: The effects of Physical Withdrawal
38 yr slave
Dumbass No More 8/31/2011

Anyone can stop, but can you quit? A "Stopper" versus a "Quitter"

Dumbass No More - A Quitter's Tale Of Ending Stupid Behavior

Offline Coach Steve

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Being quit. Staying quit. Pretty much just quitting like fuck.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
THis is day 4 of my quit and going strong! I have noticed i've been eating like a damn animal the last 4 days though. Anybody else experience this? I can't seem to stop eating, food, candy, you name it. I'm wondering if I would dip to supress my appetite and didn't even realize it. I'd rather put on a few pounds than lose half my body weight from chemo though.
I think it's perfectly normal in your early quit to replace the addiction with something else. Drink lots and lots of water. Also consider developing an exercise routine. However, as you pointed out, eating more is better (for the moment) than dipping. Eventually you'll have to get your body back into a normal and healthy routine.
Make Your Decision

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Maybe this will help.

The Skinny On Why Nicotine Curbs Appetite
by Jon Hamilton
June 9,2011

Scientists say they have finally figured out how nicotine helps people keep off extra pounds. It turns out that nicotine activates a pathway in the brain that suppresses appetite, according to a study in the journal Science. The finding comes after decades of research showing that tobacco users tend to be a bit thinner than non-users, and that people who quit using tend to put on weight.

The clue turned up during experiments looking for chemicals to treat depression, Picciotto says. A scientist at Yale named Yann Mineur was giving mice a chemical that's a lot like nicotine, she says. "He was watching these mice and he said, 'You know what, they don't eat as much as the mice that didn't get this medication,' " she says. "And so he decided to follow that up. It was a window into how nicotine might be decreasing appetite."

The scientists knew that nicotine must be triggering a response in certain brain cells. So they started looking at cells in the hypothalamus, a part of the brain known to regulate appetite. And they focused on a type of nerve cell, called POMC cells, known to be involved in eating behavior. Sure enough, nicotine made these POMC cells more active. But the researchers still needed to figure out how nicotine was communicating with these cells. To find out, the team took a closer look at the different types of receptors on the surface of the cells, Picciotto says.
"And we actually thought that maybe the same nicotine receptors that make you want to smoke or dip, that make you rewarded when you smoke or dip, would be the ones that also control appetite," she says. "But we were wrong."
So the team looked at another type of receptor. These receptors don't make you feel good — they're involved in the so-called fight-or-flight response that occurs when animals or people encounter a threat.

It turned out these fight-or-flight receptors responded to nicotine in a way that reduced hunger. That would make sense from an evolutionary perspective, Picciotto says. "The fight-or-flight response is one where you actually want to preserve your energy to do something very important," she says. "So maybe you don't want to be out there eating while you're supposed to be running away from a tiger."

Offline Joeytc213

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »

Offline Keddy

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Break the Chains
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
So I joined this site yesterday and one of the first things I did was to read the quitting symptoms. The one that I thought "yeah right" about was the whole dip dream thing. Boy was I wrong. I had such a crazy vivid dream last night about throwing in a monster fatty of Grizzly Wintergreen that I could even feel the burn on my gums. The funny part is that I felt a huge wave of guilt when dreaming. I remember even spitting it out after only a minute or 2 because I couldn't take the guilt in my dream. I'm hoping this dream works to my advantage because I was very releived when I found out it was only a dream and I didn't let myself, my family, or my quit like fuck brothers down. This is day 3 for me and im proud of myself. Feeling like shit and having major cravings but bring it on!
Dip dreams are temporary and unreal.
Cancer usually isn't!

Keep strong; You can do this!

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Quote from: Greg5280
Quote from: mytime
This is day 4 for me.  Having really tough time and really edgy.  I snap at my wife/kids and coworkers.  Feels like hell....
You need to go to the Welcome Center and do some reading. Quitting is tough but it can be done. Read over the what to expect article.. gives you a very good timeline.

Find your Quit group and post your promise. Before you you do make sure you understand what that promise means. ( click on the link )

August 2012

Welcome to the first day of Freedom !
Greg welcomed me 508 days ago. I still remember it. You can win this fight and it is worth it. Read, read, read. Post a promise 1 day at a time.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Quote from: mytime
This is day 4 for me.  Having really tough time and really edgy.  I snap at my wife/kids and coworkers.  Feels like hell....
You need to go to the Welcome Center and do some reading. Quitting is tough but it can be done. Read over the what to expect article.. gives you a very good timeline.

Find your Quit group and post your promise. Before you you do make sure you understand what that promise means. ( click on the link )

August 2012

Welcome to the first day of Freedom !

Offline mytime

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
This is day 4 for me. Having really tough time and really edgy. I snap at my wife/kids and coworkers. Feels like hell....

Offline Aredoubleyou

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Quote from: Wt57
Quote from: Grizzly25
So I joined this site yesterday and one of the first things I did was to read the quitting symptoms.  The one that I thought "yeah right" about was the whole dip dream thing.  Boy was I wrong.  I had such a crazy vivid dream last night about throwing in a monster fatty of Grizzly Wintergreen that I could even feel the burn on my gums.  The funny part is that I felt a huge wave of guilt when dreaming.  I remember even spitting it out after only a minute or 2 because I couldn't take the guilt in my dream.  I'm hoping this dream works to my advantage because I was very releived when I found out it was only a dream and I didn't let myself, my family, or my quit like fuck brothers down.  This is day 3 for me and im proud of myself.  Feeling like shit and having major cravings but bring it on!
QLF!!!!!

That is the nic bitches way of saying hey dont go.......

Your on the right track and having the dip dream this early on is the best way to show you that!

Stay Strong!
Stay Focused!!!
Stay QUIT!!!!!
I had a dream early on in my quit also it about made me barf. Still get sick thinking about it. The fog, haze and rage ahead are real prepare for it you need contacts, work on it! If you want mine pm me.
Once you intro you can continue using that original page to add on new thoughts and comments you have, some use it as a quit journal.
Stay strong glad to see you dropped words like try. Feels good to feel good about yourself doesn't it?
Glad to have you here Joey, proud to be quit with you today!

I thought the exact same thing when I quit...reall? dip dreams? come on...

but then I had my first one, then another one, and then another one...but don't worry, as long as you promise to quit today nobody holds your dreams against you!!

The fog is coming and you will go through the suck, but keep it up, you can handle it!! Take pride in feeling like crap, it means you are going in the right direction!

PM me if you need anything...stay quit! we are all here for you.

aredoubleyou

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Quote from: Grizzly25
So I joined this site yesterday and one of the first things I did was to read the quitting symptoms.  The one that I thought "yeah right" about was the whole dip dream thing.  Boy was I wrong.  I had such a crazy vivid dream last night about throwing in a monster fatty of Grizzly Wintergreen that I could even feel the burn on my gums.  The funny part is that I felt a huge wave of guilt when dreaming.  I remember even spitting it out after only a minute or 2 because I couldn't take the guilt in my dream.  I'm hoping this dream works to my advantage because I was very releived when I found out it was only a dream and I didn't let myself, my family, or my quit like fuck brothers down.  This is day 3 for me and im proud of myself.  Feeling like shit and having major cravings but bring it on!
QLF!!!!!

Your on the right track and having the dip dream this early on is the best way to show you that!

Stay Strong!
Stay Focused!!!
Stay QUIT!!!!!
I had a dream early on in my quit also it about made me barf. Still get sick thinking about it. The fog, haze and rage ahead are real prepare for it you need contacts, work on it! If you want mine pm me.
Once you intro you can continue using that original page to add on new thoughts and comments you have, some use it as a quit journal.
Stay strong glad to see you dropped words like try. Feels good to feel good about yourself doesn't it?
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Grizzly25

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Every and all sports, fishing and hunting.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
So I joined this site yesterday and one of the first things I did was to read the quitting symptoms. The one that I thought "yeah right" about was the whole dip dream thing. Boy was I wrong. I had such a crazy vivid dream last night about throwing in a monster fatty of Grizzly Wintergreen that I could even feel the burn on my gums. The funny part is that I felt a huge wave of guilt when dreaming. I remember even spitting it out after only a minute or 2 because I couldn't take the guilt in my dream. I'm hoping this dream works to my advantage because I was very releived when I found out it was only a dream and I didn't let myself, my family, or my quit like fuck brothers down. This is day 3 for me and im proud of myself. Feeling like shit and having major cravings but bring it on!
QLF!!!!!

Stay Strong!
Stay Focused!!!
Stay QUIT!!!!!
"Remember you are either getting better or getting worse, nobody stays the same!" Woody Hayes

"Winning! That's all we do around here brotha! Failure is not an option, remove it as an option and the possibilities are endless...." Bruce317 5-18-2012

"...We'll be heroes or ghosts...But we won't be turned around." Wastepanel 6-15-2012

"A QUITTER NEVER HAS TO GO THROUGH THE SUCK AGAIN!" tgafish 6-1-2012

QUIT LIKE FUCK MY BITCHES!!!

PATIENCE LIKE FUCK MY BITCHES!!!

Quit Date: 2-6-2012
HOF Date: 5-16-2012
HOF Speech

Offline Joeytc213

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Quote from: Mthomas3824
Quote from: klark
First a little background on my addiction.  I started smoking cigs when I was about 18.  I was a pretty heavy smoker (pack a day sometimes more) through college and until recently (more on this in a moment).  I picked up a dip every now and then throughout those years, but wouldn't consider myself a dipper.  During the last few hunting seasons I started dipping to keep the nic bitch at bay while on stand and not smoking so the Deer wouldn't smell the smoke.  I started to have mini dip episodes that lasted for a few weeks or so during that time where I would dip regularly and then quit.  Quitting was fairly easy at that time since I was still smoking.  I turned 30 years old this january and made a promise to myself that I would quit smoking.  I have not had a cig since that date and I was very proud of myself for quitting.  The only problem is I replaced Cigs with dip and now I am a full blown dipper.  I would say I have been dipping regulary for almost the last year, with the last 4 months being the worst.  I have been up to about a tin a day of the Welfare Bear (Grizzly Wintergreen).  I have a 3 year old daughter and a 8 month old son who are my inspiration for this quit as well as just being scared of getting mouth cancer.  I have noticed my gums on my bottom teeth are receding a little and want to try and stop this before it gets too bad.  I know this quit wil be harder than the cig quit because I am taking away all the nicotine this time, not just replacing its delivery method.  This is day 2 for me and im feeling like shit, foggy, blurry vision, terrible cravings, you name it.  I'm looking forward to facing these feelings and feeling the satisfaction when I beat them.  Just hoping i can stay strong and not give in.  I keep thinking about picking up some Snus or something to get nicotine but I dont want to get addicted to something else.  I need to stay strong and stay away from C-stores!!
You need a vocabulary lesson, the way you are talking you sound like you are planning to fail.

Two words to get rid of: hope and try, we don't use them here. I don't remember who said it but keep this in mind: "attemps are lame, trying is gay, and hope is a fat chick from high school."

We quit daily, thats it. Sign your name on roll and start reading. This is not going to be easy, but the results are awesome.
'crackup' 'crackup' 'crackup'

Hope went to my high school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MT Hope is in your dream.
Joe, for sure this will suck but as long as you are a man, you can do it. Pussies fail we see it every week. I never knew it but I was a pussy for over 38 year not any more!! Maybe I did know it but didn't want to admit it. It feels damn good to quit and gain control over my life.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Quote from: klark
First a little background on my addiction.  I started smoking cigs when I was about 18.  I was a pretty heavy smoker (pack a day sometimes more) through college and until recently (more on this in a moment).  I picked up a dip every now and then throughout those years, but wouldn't consider myself a dipper.  During the last few hunting seasons I started dipping to keep the nic bitch at bay while on stand and not smoking so the Deer wouldn't smell the smoke.  I started to have mini dip episodes that lasted for a few weeks or so during that time where I would dip regularly and then quit.  Quitting was fairly easy at that time since I was still smoking.  I turned 30 years old this january and made a promise to myself that I would quit smoking.  I have not had a cig since that date and I was very proud of myself for quitting.  The only problem is I replaced Cigs with dip and now I am a full blown dipper.  I would say I have been dipping regulary for almost the last year, with the last 4 months being the worst.  I have been up to about a tin a day of the Welfare Bear (Grizzly Wintergreen).  I have a 3 year old daughter and a 8 month old son who are my inspiration for this quit as well as just being scared of getting mouth cancer.  I have noticed my gums on my bottom teeth are receding a little and want to try and stop this before it gets too bad.  I know this quit wil be harder than the cig quit because I am taking away all the nicotine this time, not just replacing its delivery method.  This is day 2 for me and im feeling like shit, foggy, blurry vision, terrible cravings, you name it.  I'm looking forward to facing these feelings and feeling the satisfaction when I beat them.  Just hoping i can stay strong and not give in.  I keep thinking about picking up some Snus or something to get nicotine but I dont want to get addicted to something else.  I need to stay strong and stay away from C-stores!!
You need a vocabulary lesson, the way you are talking you sound like you are planning to fail.

Two words to get rid of: hope and try, we don't use them here. I don't remember who said it but keep this in mind: "attemps are lame, trying is gay, and hope is a fat chick from high school."

We quit daily, thats it. Sign your name on roll and start reading. This is not going to be easy, but the results are awesome.
'crackup' 'crackup' 'crackup'

Hope went to my high school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech