Author Topic: LONG introductory rant  (Read 993 times)

Offline lhelms12

• Quitter
  • Interests: Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Football
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LONG introductory rant
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
rfitch... we are close to the same age, and I can really relate to a lot of the same things that you talked about. I know it is tough to mentally grasp the fact that you are quitting for the rest of your life, but that shouldn't be a concern because the only thing that you should be worried about is quitting for just a day. If that is too tough, then quit for an hour and work your way up to 24 hours. You didn't quit for a while you just temporarily stopped. The only thing that this website and we are all here is to assist people in their quit to stop using smokeless tobacco. I am also a student, but in professional school and I know that it is tough when a stressful time comes up to not use nicotine. Through this site, you can build relationships and have contacts to need during trying times such as studying for your test. If you don't use the site or the contacts you gain from it, then I (we) really can't help you. I am here for support and to help you through this whole process. The rest is up to you. I will PM you my number and hope that you take this process seriously. Post roll in Oct. now that you have thrown that shit out and if you have any questions ask me or anyone else.

My name is Luke and I will quit with you today
Can't is the cancer of happening.

Quit Date - 05/13/2012 5:30PM

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: LONG introductory rant
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Quote from: rfitch11
Hello everyone. My name is Ron, and I've been going back and forth with dip since i was 17. Im 22, and about to graduate next semester from VCU. I started dipping with my friends on my highschool volleyball team... Which i guess isnt a typical route to dipping. However, nicotene spares no man.
Dipping was no doubt a gateway for me to alcohol. Mostly because i figured "hey, i already dip, may as well drink too." This foolish decision turned out to be one of the worst decisions of my young life, as i quickly got out of control, and ended up suspended from Virginia Tech for drinking within the first two years of being there. Then came a car accident, from which my right wrist is permanently handicapped. All from drinking, and ultimately from the snow-ball effect of my first pinch of grizzly.
I have quit drinking, and i have no problem with it at all. I dont ever crave alcohol, and can be in bars or at parties with no urge to pick up a beer or anything else. For me its not so much a compulsion to start drinking, rather, it is the ability to stop if i start that gives me trouble. Thus, the solution is simple, just dont start.
However, dip is a whole other story. I use it just about anywhere its acceptable. I never drive anywhere without putting in a pinch, and certainly dont use the can without it and my iphone. I use it when im sitting in my room playing guitar, on the computer and especially when im reading for school or doing any sort of school assignment.
I continually come up with ways to rationalize the use of my beloved grizzly wintergreen. When i try and quit, i cant sleep, or crap, so i have to dip. Ive tried nicotine gum, but the method of use for nicotine gum is the same as dip, and of course it has nicotine in it as well, so its just about the same thing. Additionally, when i use nicotine gum i seem to have super bad chest/throat congestion and gunk that i SWEAR is worse relative to dip. So again, dip wins out, and i ride up to the BP and grab a can. The congestion thing of course is still present when i dip, its just not as bad. Also, to me congestion is unacceptable, because i regularly race/ train for triathlons. I had a stint where i used nicotene gum, and over a few weeks my run and bike times went up significantly, because i could seem to breathe enough to keep up with my legs.
It goes without saying that someone who is a triathlete, and a pretty decent one at that (I race in the clydesdale category for men over 200lbs, and rarely place out of the top 3) that im in fairly good shape, and using dip is completely hypocritical, and counterproductive. I was also the founder and president of the VCU tri club last year... further adding to the stupidity of my habit.
I did quit from november-feburary completely cold turkey. However, i had a biochem test one week that i had to cram for, and justified buying a single can to "help" study. I took one pinch, and threw the rest out. Then, the next week it happened again, and this time i was hooked. Thus, ive been using about a can a day since then, and have been trying to quit since, with no luck.
Ive never smoked, other than when i used to drink, and someone would offer me a cigarette. Even then i couldnt inhale even a little bit of smoke without coughing continuously. So i never have, and never will use cigarettes as crutch.
Im going to stop here, since ive already written you guys a novel. Any input and supplemental instruction you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. If im correct the group i should join will reach 100 days in october. thanks to all who have read my rant!
Hmmm. Notice the bottom of my page you will see I run marathons. I am not the only endurance athlete that is a nicotine drug addict here. The good news is you can quit. Here is how.

Read this. http://www.killthecan.org/community/welcome.asp

Post a 24 hour promise to not use nic here. index.php?showtopic=6639

Quit 1 day at a time. Read, post and train you balls off. Now, go post.

Offline rfitch11

• Likes Given: 0
LONG introductory rant
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Ron, and I've been going back and forth with dip since i was 17. Im 22, and about to graduate next semester from VCU. I started dipping with my friends on my highschool volleyball team... Which i guess isnt a typical route to dipping. However, nicotene spares no man.
Dipping was no doubt a gateway for me to alcohol. Mostly because i figured "hey, i already dip, may as well drink too." This foolish decision turned out to be one of the worst decisions of my young life, as i quickly got out of control, and ended up suspended from Virginia Tech for drinking within the first two years of being there. Then came a car accident, from which my right wrist is permanently handicapped. All from drinking, and ultimately from the snow-ball effect of my first pinch of grizzly.
I have quit drinking, and i have no problem with it at all. I dont ever crave alcohol, and can be in bars or at parties with no urge to pick up a beer or anything else. For me its not so much a compulsion to start drinking, rather, it is the ability to stop if i start that gives me trouble. Thus, the solution is simple, just dont start.
However, dip is a whole other story. I use it just about anywhere its acceptable. I never drive anywhere without putting in a pinch, and certainly dont use the can without it and my iphone. I use it when im sitting in my room playing guitar, on the computer and especially when im reading for school or doing any sort of school assignment.
I continually come up with ways to rationalize the use of my beloved grizzly wintergreen. When i try and quit, i cant sleep, or crap, so i have to dip. Ive tried nicotine gum, but the method of use for nicotine gum is the same as dip, and of course it has nicotine in it as well, so its just about the same thing. Additionally, when i use nicotine gum i seem to have super bad chest/throat congestion and gunk that i SWEAR is worse relative to dip. So again, dip wins out, and i ride up to the BP and grab a can. The congestion thing of course is still present when i dip, its just not as bad. Also, to me congestion is unacceptable, because i regularly race/ train for triathlons. I had a stint where i used nicotene gum, and over a few weeks my run and bike times went up significantly, because i could seem to breathe enough to keep up with my legs.
It goes without saying that someone who is a triathlete, and a pretty decent one at that (I race in the clydesdale category for men over 200lbs, and rarely place out of the top 3) that im in fairly good shape, and using dip is completely hypocritical, and counterproductive. I was also the founder and president of the VCU tri club last year... further adding to the stupidity of my habit.
I did quit from november-feburary completely cold turkey. However, i had a biochem test one week that i had to cram for, and justified buying a single can to "help" study. I took one pinch, and threw the rest out. Then, the next week it happened again, and this time i was hooked. Thus, ive been using about a can a day since then, and have been trying to quit since, with no luck.
Ive never smoked, other than when i used to drink, and someone would offer me a cigarette. Even then i couldnt inhale even a little bit of smoke without coughing continuously. So i never have, and never will use cigarettes as crutch.
Im going to stop here, since ive already written you guys a novel. Any input and supplemental instruction you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. If im correct the group i should join will reach 100 days in october. thanks to all who have read my rant!