Author Topic: Why hello there!  (Read 3515 times)

Offline invader

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-12
  • Interests: Board games, antique bicycles, and doing my fair share to bankrupt the ghouls over at Copenhagen.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why hello there!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 03:40:00 AM »
Hi! Let me give this using-your-intro-as-a-quit-journal thing a shot.

So, for seemingly no apparent reason, at 3:30 AM tonight I decided to flush the two cans of Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff I had left. I quit using it at about day 50, transitioning to sugarfree gum instead, but I kept the two cans of fake in my dresser as a backup of sorts in case the mother of all craves hit. But here's the thing: I have had very strong craves sporadically since I stopped using even fake, and not once has my mind gone to "I need my Smokey Mountain RIGHT NOW." Maybe that's what happened. Maybe the logical part of my mind realized there's no use in keeping something around I don't use. Maybe, in an odd way, keeping the fake was working to my detriment just by being there - a connection of sorts to a person I no longer am. A means to mimic a thing I no longer partake in, and in fact, hate.

Now, this isn't a "I'm above using fake" thing, or a "the people using fake are wrong" thing or even a "fake dip is bad" thing. On the contrary, I was NOT above using fake dip, and I actively recommend it to ANYONE who has quit dipping but still misses the ritual of spitting, packing a can, or whatever else. What I'm saying is that I feel I've personally turned a corner. I no longer desire the ritual of spitting brown goo into a bottle, even if said goo is only corn silk and food dye. I can't explain it, but I suddenly felt a strong resentment towards my cans of fake not for what they were, but what they reminded me of. I didn't even want to look at the cans themselves, so I also threw a half-full garbage bag with the empty cans into my apartment's dumpster. And when I was handling the cans, I held them with my thumb and forefinger, arm outstretched - the same way someone would hold a leaking bag of fresh dog shit. No lie. I am realizing that keeping those cans of fake around was causing me stress and making an already difficult thing much harder. I don't need reminded of dip every time I open that drawer. In fact, I don't want anything that even LOOKS like a can of the real shit in my home.

I can't explain what compelled me to do this tonight/this morning, but I feel a truer, greater sense of freedom now. I feel liberated. Not complacent. Not cured. Not immune to craves. And make no mistake, this changes nothing with regards to the formula to stay quit or my routine. I will still be here every day making an ass of myself on the boards and in chat, and posting my daily promise. My guard has not lowered in the slightest. But I feel I have definitely distanced myself even further from tobacco in a tangible, meaningful way. Perhaps this is the "closing the door" moment people on the site talk about. Or, perhaps it was how the process of using fake dip is supposed to play itself out. After all, most companies who make the stuff tell you that the day comes when you totally lose interest in it. Whatever it is, it feels fucking good, and I credit you, the good people of KTC, with helping me to achieve it.

- Invader

(Too Long, Didn't Read version: lol i threw stuff away and feel good now).

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
  • Quit Date: Today
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
Quote from: invader
Thanks for helping me get to this point, guys.
Kick ass Flock O'Gulls!
There are no circumstances in which using nicotine will improve the outcome.

My journey. The best part it is not over yet.

Offline invader

• Quitter
  • Interests: Board games, antique bicycles, and doing my fair share to bankrupt the ghouls over at Copenhagen.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
Thanks for helping me get to this point, guys.

Offline invader

• Quitter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
Thanks folks!

Offline danojeno

• Quit Date March 2, 2015
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
Congrats on the HOF brother. I just read your speech and wanted to thank your for an inspiring piece. You are a Bad Ass Goon and a huge asset to this place.

Offline Bucky

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-04-29
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 01:30:00 AM »
Congrats on a hundred and more mr vader ... let make it a lifetime! You have my number if there is ever anything I can do.

Offline invader

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Thanks everybody! Feels really good to be here.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2097
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Vader, my linkage bro.
Thanks for helping me out and keeping me distracted.
Got this far with help from you.

Congrats on your 100! Cheers to +1 forever Bro!
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Congrats on the HOF, invader! Keep up the strong quit!
Quit: Saturday, May 2, 2009
HOF: Monday, August 10, 2009

La's HOF Speech

"Post roll like 8 pounds 6 ounces... new born infant jesus himself was telling you to do it" - Jaydisco

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Quote from: D2maine
welcome to the hall vader! way to kick some quit ass!
Congratulations vader! See you at 200!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline D2maine

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: quit 2-19-2012!
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »
welcome to the hall vader! way to kick some quit ass!

Offline gargoose

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-10
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »
Welcome and congrats on geting day 1 behind you! See you on the roll EDD!!

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
Quote from: pab1964
Quote from: Turn212
Thanks, Kenny! I've been hanging out in the chat room getting to know some of the folks. Man, this is gonna be a great ride.
Great job so far. Stay strong and focused. It gets easier. I'm at day 56. Never have I been this far.
Invader sounds like you got the want to and figured out where to get the tools to get the job done. Some badass quitters in here, listen to there advice. Read post roll EDD! ODAAT!
Focus on today..... That gets us to 72 hours and free of poison.
You have to dive in too the shallow water.... And hit your head hard!
Then the headache starts.. That can be cured by drinking the coolaid.
Simple....
NOT.... don't go backwards...
Your negative thoughts will go away if you don't give in to them.....
Dround them in water!
Be strong... Let the old self die.
Be excited about your new identity.
I quit with you.
Rawls
I believe.....

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Quote from: Turn212
Thanks, Kenny! I've been hanging out in the chat room getting to know some of the folks. Man, this is gonna be a great ride.
Great job so far. Stay strong and focused. It gets easier. I'm at day 56. Never have I been this far.
Invader sounds like you got the want to and figured out where to get the tools to get the job done. Some badass quitters in here, listen to there advice. Read post roll EDD! ODAAT!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline invader

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Holy hell, good job, Turn! And thank you for the kind words. You guys are great.