Author Topic: Now is the time for change  (Read 2228 times)

Offline vurohege

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-09-19
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Now is the time for change
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
Almost a week into this thing and I am doing ok. I just want to throw updates from time to time to notate what I am doing. Perhaps it will be of benefit to others.

Woke up feeling very good today. I slept until 3am!

I still drink about 2 coffees in the morning and a tea in the afternoon.

Driving to and from work (30 Miles each way) has been strange without a dip in. I ALWAYS drove with a dip in. Sometimes half-way,etc. I don't want to romanticize it any more. Needless to say, I am surviving thus far without it. No road rage either. For some reason anger has not been a part of this recovery process.

I'm eating a lot more frequently. I have been going to the Green Grocer and getting some healthy things to keep me occupied when I need it. Carrots, grapes, Red Raspberries, Blackberries, baby spinach, crackers (I am eating a ton of these), ham sandwiches. I haven't had any urges to get greasy and fatty foods which is odd. I got a healthy kick going. Plus, the fruit tastes so good.

What else.... I am drinking a lot of water like people have been mentioning here. I remember that our brains are wired such that a thought goes through the emotional part of the brain before it hits the rational part. So a trigger will hit the emotional and make me think a dip is a good idea, but if I wait it will reach the rational part and I can say hell no.

So that is about it for now. All of that above plus you guys here plus keeping it in the day and saying no nic for today is working for now.

Keep up the fight!

e=mc^2

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 04:02:00 AM »
Welcome and thanks for your service. Happy to have you in the December quit group. I quit with you today.

Offline normjr88

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-06-01
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Welcome, if your ready to take back your life you came to the right place. Post your roll EDD, earlier the better and make your promise you will not use today. Don't worry about what tomorrow might bring just focus on today. 30 year addict here bro, if I can you sure in the hell can. I quit with you today.

Offline vurohege

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
You guys have all been great  I appreciate everything. All the atta boys, links to useful sites  quitting with me for today. That's all we really have is today. We can do anything for 24 hours. Thanks for being there for me today. I'm there for you as well.

I usually get up around 3:30am so I'll post roll 1st thing in the morning. Today I got up at 1:30am. Doesn't bother me as I feel good and I'm not using nicotine. I understand that everything can be out of whack. i.e. eating, sleep, thoughts, etc... This is where the adapt  overcome will help.

Offline quark

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-23
  • Interests: Biking, swimming, running, reading
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Quote from: vurohege
Many times through the years I have known that I needed to quit at some point in my life.
And that day is today. I quit with you today.

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Thank you for your service to this great country. Glad you're here and ready to do battle today. That's the only one you can win today so focus on that one. You can't win tomorrow before you win today, and you can't do anything about all those knucklehead days you suckled at nicotine's teat. Grab that freaking teat and squeeze it til it pops. You're done with that shit. 24 hours at a time.

While it feels like you're suffering right now, trust me that most of the guys on this site are no longer sufferers. Once you get through that initial phase, it's glorious. No suffering, the occasional crave to crush, but for the most part, it's a happiness that you haven't experienced since you started dipping in the first place. Why? Because you're FREE!
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline lwildma2

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 9-9-15
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
Thank you for your service and congratulations on posting roll and making the decision to quit.

Keep posting roll everyday and keep that promise to yourself and the brotherhood that you will not use nicotine that day.

Read HOF and Words of Wisdom. Brilliant posts that have help saved my quit.

PM me if you ever need anything.

I am proud to quit with you today.

Offline invader

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-12
  • Interests: Board games, antique bicycles, and doing my fair share to bankrupt the ghouls over at Copenhagen.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 02:36:00 AM »
So let me get this straight...you showed up here hating dip, you declared yourself quit, you posted roll perfectly the first try, AND you've made an introduction?

Leave it to a Marine to get the job done! Welcome aboard, man! Make sure to do all the reading you can on this site. There is no shortage of information to help you on your journey here. Also, feel free to use this page as your own personal journal of sorts if you so feel inclined.

Take care, and keep us up to date on how the quit is going!

- Invader

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. As you pointed out, there are a lot of Marines who dipped, and therefore, a lot of Marines on this site. In fact, you folks have your very own thread called Tun Tavern! That might be a place to look at.

Offline DjPorkchop

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Mother Fricker!!!
    • PaPa Ray's Photography
  • Quit Date: 9/17/2015
  • Interests: Brewing Beer and Building Cheap Smokers (UDS Drums)
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:10:00 AM »
Hello vurohege

Welcome to the group/site. As was pointed out earlier, you should post roll daily and as early as possible. This helps keep you accountable to yourself and brethren.
Exchange digits with people, yes complete strangers as they may be your lifeline to no dipping one of these days. Drink plenty of water and just when you have had enough water, drink some more.

Remember what these first few days feel like so you never have to do it again!!!

I quit with you today brother!
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline DWEIRICK

• Master of Quit
  • Interests: Volunteer Firefighter/EMT - Conductor/Engineer for Lycoming Valley Railroad - Shooting guns, Fishing and time with my family!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 01:54:00 AM »
Welcome to the fight the link below is where you will be posting roll any questions feel free to ask! (Habit-NO Addiction-YES)

topic/11293904/160/#new

Offline vurohege

• Quitter
Now is the time for change
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:50:00 AM »
Greetings to my fellow sufferers. I just wanted to put a post out there in order to solidify my desire to quit and to hold myself accountable.

I have a track record of about 23 years of dipping. I started in college and on through 4 years in the Marines where it almost is a requirement. Obviously I didn't complain.

Many times through the years I have known that I needed to quit at some point in my life. Going on like this was not acceptable at all in my mind. I felt like I was living multiple lives and eventually it seemed easier to just isolate and be alone. This is not the intention when man was created.

Thus, 4 days ago I decided that I was done. Just like that. I had been mentally preparing myself so I knew it was coming. I took my last dip, said thank you for your services but they are no longer needed, and I went moved on from there.

I'm grateful for all of the resources that are available on this site. No man is an island and no one should have to go it alone with something as important and life changing as a decision to stop this nasty habit. I commend you all for even trying. Those who make it are a beacon of hope to all those that are coming after you.

So, I have a plan and a mission. It's a daily battle but I'm prepared.