Author Topic: So...I'm new here...Hi?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Grizzle

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-04-06
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: So...I'm new here...Hi?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
Hey Gifty! I am in your class. Trying to figure out how I can work through this with ya'll.

Offline Dundippin

• Quitter
  • Shift your focus so you do not think about it
    • Recovery Meeting Place
  • Quit Date: 9/15/2015
  • Interests: Web development, database design, management, weightlifting, bike riding, gardening and watching the Baltimore Ravens.
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 05:39:00 AM »
Gifty,

Welcome to the group. We all have our reasons to quit but yours seem extremely compelling.

Here are some words of wisdom I like to share:

The main way to be successful is to just decide that you have quit. Once you stop the negotiating in your head as to whether you will do one more or not the rest becomes far more simple.

Next, you will learn to distract your attention from your desire for a dip to anything else that interests you. This ability to change your focus will guarantee your success and make your quit that much easier.

When you place a dip in your mouth, your brain releases sugars. Well, those sugars are now going to be gone.

However, you can replace them with OJ or other fruit juices with sugar. This will provide some comfort, especially on your initial quit days.

Make sure to exercise with weights and cardio when you feel that nagging tension in your muscles, you feel that rage, when you can not sleep and when you cannot focus. Exercise really helps.

Here is one that most people overlook. Get at least 3 square meals a day. Hunger can really bring on those urges so squash those urges before they come. Eat full healthy meals and do not let yourself get excessively hungry. You will see this helps a great deal.

I waited until I was 59 quit after using tobacco for 40 years. You are wise to quit now.

I quit with you today.

Dundippin day 939

Offline gifty

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-04-08
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
Quote from: Xxjohnnyquidxx
Quote from: gifty
Quote from: RDB
Welcome.

Nice job posting roll, and good on you for committing to posting roll early every morning.

The way I look at it, posting roll has become the ritual that has replaced grabbing that first dip in the morning. Posting roll first thing is part of me, just as the Grizz bear was part of me.

Drink a lot of water, that will help flush the nicotine out of your body. After day three, you should be clean. Then it's all mental after that.

When a crave hits, remember your promise. A crave lasts about four minutes. You can hold out for four minutes, right? After a while the crave intensity and frequency will decrease. But it will take a long time before they will completely cease. That's why I'm still posting roll 809 days later.

Proud to quit with you.
I appreciate the welcome and advice. Luckily I'm not dealing with too bad of cravings at this point, just mentally preparing myself for when they hit and dealing with a nagging feeling that something is "missing" without a dip in.

I'm not craving it so much as just feeling bored without it. I generally just load up the forum when I get that feeling and by the time I skim through a few postings, it's gone. It's a simple thing, but it's worked well so far.
Welcome.

Nice job posting roll, and good on you for committing to posting roll early every morning.

The way I look at it, posting roll has become the ritual that has replaced grabbing that first dip in the morning. Posting roll first thing is part of me, just as the Grizz bear was part of me.

Drink a lot of water, that will help flush the nicotine out of your body. After day three, you should be clean. Then it's all mental after that.

When a crave hits, remember your promise. A crave lasts about four minutes. You can hold out for four minutes, right? After a while the crave intensity and frequency will decrease. But it will take a long time before they will completely cease. That's why I'm still posting roll 809 days later.

Proud to quit with you.
I appreciate the welcome and advice. Luckily I'm not dealing with too bad of cravings at this point, just mentally preparing myself for when they hit and dealing with a nagging feeling that something is "missing" without a dip in.

I'm not craving it so much as just feeling bored without it. I generally just load up the forum when I get that feeling and by the time I skim through a few postings, it's gone. It's a simple thing, but it's worked well so far.

Welcome to the July Quit Group. Day 14 for me. I flew through the first week and though hey this is not to bad. Then Day 11 and 12 came. My advice to you as use the digits you get and reach out to the other brothers for help.
Keep up the good work man and thanks for the welcome!

Offline XxjohnnyquidxX

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »
Quote from: gifty
Welcome.

Proud to quit with you.

Welcome.

Proud to quit with you.

Welcome to the July Quit Group. Day 14 for me. I flew through the first week and though hey this is not to bad. Then Day 11 and 12 came. My advice to you as use the digits you get and reach out to the other brothers for help.

Offline gifty

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »
Welcome.

Proud to quit with you.

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
Welcome.

Proud to quit with you.

Offline gifty

• Quitter
So...I'm new here...Hi?
« on: April 09, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
Hey all, I'm on my 2nd day quit after about 8 years of being a dipshit. I started out on Beechnut Wintergreen, Levi Garrett and then moved on to Copenhagen Wintergreen/Mint/Straight. It's really disturbing to me how nearly every memorable moment of the last 8 years of my life included a bitch named nicotine. Hunting with my friends, put a dip in. Sitting at my desk at work, put a dip in. Driving anywhere, put a dip in. I was slowly killing myself for no reason at all besides stupidity.

I ended up being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 7 years ago. Was it related to dipping? Who knows, but dipping was my "escape" from the issues that my condition came with. I continued dipping for 6 years as I went through every medication imaginable for my condition. In June of last year, after being on a downhill slide, the decision was made to remove my colon. It was about this time that I realized I had an addiction. I decided to "man up" and quit cold turkey. That lasted about a month until I had complications from the surgery. I decided to start dipping again because it "calmed me down" when times were stressful. I continued to dip until January 8, when I had a followup surgery. Again, I decided to "man up" and quit after the initial recovery process. I returned to work in early March and the first sign of stress sent me straight to the store for some Cope.

This leads me to where I am today. I'm just downright disgusted with myself for the choice that I made to ever even start dipping in the first place and I've proven to myself that I am weak and can't beat this addiction on my own. It's great knowing that there's a whole community of people just like me to lean on when a craving hits. I'm committed to sharing my promise first thing when I wake up in the morning and will be available for anyone needing support. Feel free to DM me anytime. I'm only on my 2nd quit, but the feeling of support has been more helpful than anything else. You guys rock!