Author Topic: New Quit; Day 3  (Read 1590 times)

Offline cdforecheck

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Ice Hockey
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Quit; Day 3
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Quote from: brianl
7 down, infinity to go baby!!!!!!!
Way to go Don. Looking forward to my day 7 tomorrow.
Have a great holiday weekend and take the $50 you saved this week by not dipping and do something fun with it.

Brian
it is never infinity, just have to do it one day at a time, get through today, then quit again tomorrow...rinse and repeat
Go Bucks! Quit Date: 12-23-2011

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
7 down, infinity to go baby!!!!!!!
Way to go Don. Looking forward to my day 7 tomorrow.
Have a great holiday weekend and take the $50 you saved this week by not dipping and do something fun with it.

Brian

Offline DS1271

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Just 7 days ago...I was filling my mouth with that crap...with no control whatsoever. Late tonight....I will hit the 7 day mark....the longest stretch without the BITCH in at least 7 or 8 years. I have not been tempted once to cave and feel damn good. Mouth feels good. Mind feels good. Hit the gym every day. Have gone to gas stations and only bought gas! There's a novel idea.

Most importantly......I recognize I am still in quitting infancy and am OK with that. Although off to a good start.....the battle will never end. There will be bad days. There will be adversity. There might be temptation when crisis hits. That said...mentally...I am in a much better place then I was just 7 short days ago when the decision to try to go a day without chewing has led to something much bigger.

Special thanks go out to all the great people on this site who offer words of wisdom.......encouragement..... and support on a daily basis. As a guy who is 7 days into his quit......the appreciation I have towards all of you cannot be stated enough.

Don

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
Welcome Don,

Your doing the right thing. I'm also on Day 3 and I'm fucking loving it!!!
Get over to the Dec 2010 group and post roll call my brother.
We will ride this train together and tell the Nic Bitch to go Fuck Off!

Brian

Offline Dr. Bruce Banner

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Quote from: DS1271
Let me say hello to everyone and introduce myself......my name is Don and I am from CT. Hope everyone is doing well. Something suddenly came over me late last Friday night....8/27/10.......I had to quit dipping. It just hit me immediately.......hard to explain. I was a slave to Skoal Longcut Straight for many many years. That phrase "Skoal Longcut Straight" was a phrase spoken to probably hundreds of different gas station and convenience store workers over the years.

Little history........started dabbling with Skoal back in 1991-1992...at the age of 20... while a sophomore in college and playing baseball. Of course I became addicted and my usage became heavier from 92 to about 94. At it's peak......I was going through probably 2-3 cans a week. Somehow....after graduation....I quit cold turkey for about 5-6 years and then like an idiot......bought a can one New's Eve Year for the hell of it......circa 2000. Well..that was a mistake....because I started back up and have done it for the past 10 years...nonstop. (1-2 cans per week) It became so automatic and so part of my daily routine.....it was scary. Dip early am on the way to work. Same for afternoon ride home. Dip while driving. Dip while watching the Pats on Sundays. Dip on the golf course. Dip on the boat. Dip at night while watching TV. Dip while skiing. The damn tin went everywhere I went. I hid the fact that I dipped from most people...including women that I had dated for long periods of time....due to embarassment. It had taken complete control of me and was really the only vice that I had ever had. I had quit once before and gave into temptation...after 5-6 years away from it. I had to try again. This could be done and I was not going to roll the dice any longer with my health.

So now.....I am in quitting "infancy" so to speak.....day 3 of no Skoal and it's been a difficult...yet refreshing change of pace. There is a damn hard road ahead but I am determined to beat this thing.

I have that Mint Leaf Snuff which I am using 3-4 times per day and I just bought 5 more cans directly from Oregon Mint. Flushed the remaining Skoal down the toilet so there is none in the house at all. Totally serious about this. Have probably spent well over 4-5K on Skoal over the years....which is insane! That money could have gone into my retirement accounts! I will keep you posted and also wish everyone else the best of luck in their battles as well. One day at a time for me right now. All the best.

Don
Welcome.... Seems like you have your mind right...that will make this so much easier...not that this will be easy! It gets sooo much better! No more panic attacks when you run out or leave the house and forget it. No more counting change at the register (in pennies) just to get your fix! No more trying to sneak away to put one in and gagging when someone unexpectedly walks around the corner.....

Drink lots of water and fruit juice,OJ, Cranberry. stay away from caffeine while your body adjusts to having so much more oxygen in the blood stream....helps you sleep better

I used gobstopper candy jaw-breakers to help me...the sugar helped keep my mood level, and the little round balls packed nicely in the jaw...do whatever it takes to stay nicotine free....use teabags if you have to!

Pm me if you need a number
HOF 2/2/2010
2nd 5/12/2010
3rd 8/20/2010
4th 11/29/2010

Within our capabilities, orginating in our attitudes and culminating in our actions

Offline DS1271

• Quitter
New Quit; Day 3
« on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Let me say hello to everyone and introduce myself......my name is Don and I am from CT. Hope everyone is doing well. Something suddenly came over me late last Friday night....8/27/10.......I had to quit dipping. It just hit me immediately.......hard to explain. I was a slave to Skoal Longcut Straight for many many years. That phrase "Skoal Longcut Straight" was a phrase spoken to probably hundreds of different gas station and convenience store workers over the years.

Little history........started dabbling with Skoal back in 1991-1992...at the age of 20... while a sophomore in college and playing baseball. Of course I became addicted and my usage became heavier from 92 to about 94. At it's peak......I was going through probably 2-3 cans a week. Somehow....after graduation....I quit cold turkey for about 5-6 years and then like an idiot......bought a can one New's Eve Year for the hell of it......circa 2000. Well..that was a mistake....because I started back up and have done it for the past 10 years...nonstop. (1-2 cans per week) It became so automatic and so part of my daily routine.....it was scary. Dip early am on the way to work. Same for afternoon ride home. Dip while driving. Dip while watching the Pats on Sundays. Dip on the golf course. Dip on the boat. Dip at night while watching TV. Dip while skiing. The damn tin went everywhere I went. I hid the fact that I dipped from most people...including women that I had dated for long periods of time....due to embarassment. It had taken complete control of me and was really the only vice that I had ever had. I had quit once before and gave into temptation...after 5-6 years away from it. I had to try again. This could be done and I was not going to roll the dice any longer with my health.

So now.....I am in quitting "infancy" so to speak.....day 3 of no Skoal and it's been a difficult...yet refreshing change of pace. There is a damn hard road ahead but I am determined to beat this thing.

I have that Mint Leaf Snuff which I am using 3-4 times per day and I just bought 5 more cans directly from Oregon Mint. Flushed the remaining Skoal down the toilet so there is none in the house at all. Totally serious about this. Have probably spent well over 4-5K on Skoal over the years....which is insane! That money could have gone into my retirement accounts! I will keep you posted and also wish everyone else the best of luck in their battles as well. One day at a time for me right now. All the best.

Don