Author Topic: Quitting Early  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Gump

• Quitter
    • framedartexpert.com
  • Interests: my daughterquittingwinningbusinessrock climbingbodybuildingguitarscubasnowboardingtheaterlive bandsdead bandspretty much anything in naturenot having nature invite itself into my househelping other people to quit nicotineAtlanta Picture Framer
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quitting Early
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
Quote from: TheClap
Quote from: spot
I absolutely know I have a little more quit in me. I also know I have three exams this week and that's enough stress for now. Stress and fear are major triggers for me. Not to chew, to drink. The reason I started chewing was because it helped me study. I knew nicotine affected dopamine release and reuptake like adderall and ritalin. I wasn't going to smoke, I would have gone straight to the patch, but they are so damned expensive! I ended up chewing pouches.
hmmmmmmmmmmm....... dont come on here and bs about stress.... there are a few of us on here that no what big boy stress is... and I aint talkin about having a test to study for... Now granted you may think that is stress. But if you cave and claim that you are stressed I will find you chop off your balls and feed them to you like they are peas. Come live an hour in my life and then lets talk stress and I sure as shit aint on no damn patch or gum i just threw the shit away. Oh by the way your avatar is gay. welcome to a site full of dudes we dont want to be seeing your little faggotty ass abs with the cell phone pic in the mirror. Dont care. I seen your post about me being a little harsh for your first post to read when you came lookin for your quit group... I said it then and I will say it now. If you think that was harsh just wait till you really tee me off. I got a lot of anger built up for fuckers just like you... So welcome to the Thunderdome bitch. :ph43r: we be off our rockers up in here 'Crazy'
I have very little experience with nicotine. I've chewed for less than six months. But I have a lot of experience quitting drugs and alcohol. All I can say is if a group of alcoholics tried to stay sober the way people here are doing it I.e. relying on white knuckling will power, and then ripping each other apart when someone relapsed and honestly came back, AA wouldn't be around today. That's no way to get truly free from an addiction.

I know a guy who didn't drink for 21 years. He's now been sober for 14yrs. There's a difference between just quitting and finding actual sobriety. I can spot a dry addict a mile away. Can't say there's any shortage of them here.

Today I read a post by a guy who came back after caving. Decided to start over. Admitted his honest mistake. The people here think that ripping him a new asshole is going to do something good. They have no idea about addiction recovery.

In AA if someone makes it back through the door everyone lends support and does everything they can to keep them there so they don't drink again.

Personally I would take a look at nicotine anonymous if I were you. Or any other 12 step program. 12 step programs actually have a track record worth following.

Take this for what it is. Like it or don't. It's just my experience. I won't be back. There's a difference between being "quit" (which isn't an adjective by the way) and being sober. Sobriety makes one feel at peace. When I go in the "quit groups" I see anything but peace.

Have fun talking down to each other. Classic dry addict behavior.
Wow, Clap, I really thought you'd be different than what I'm reading, and move past the parts on here you don't like reading. Honestly, didn't you find anything here that does inspire you?

I don't like everything I read on KTC, and I don't participate in the bashing at all, it irritates me. But like I said, those irritating jerks are also serious quitters. In the end, I didn't join here to be pals with everyone, I joined to be quit of nicotine, and to learn how others do it, and to use what I can from this site. I've definitely made some good friends while here, but not with everyone.

You're right, man, we're dry addicts. All of us.

I wish you'd stay with us, but in any case I wish you well and hope you'll give up nicotine forever.
"Stupid is as stupid does"

Quit nicotine 9/1/09

Framed Art Expert

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
...There's a difference between being "quit" (which isn't an adjective by the way) and being sober. ...
Um... yes it is:
Quote from: dictionary.com
quit
–adjective
12.  released from obligation, penalty, etc.; free, clear, or rid (usually fol. by of): quit of all further responsibilities.
"I am quit (of nicotine)"

Offline niwot

• Quitter
  • Interests: Son in competitive soccer/ coaching. golf, outdoors with family. I am a tree lover, not a hugger.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
I absolutely know I have a little more quit in me. I also know I have three exams this week and that's enough stress for now. Stress and fear are major triggers for me. Not to chew, to drink. The reason I started chewing was because it helped me study. I knew nicotine affected dopamine release and reuptake like adderall and ritalin. I wasn't going to smoke, I would have gone straight to the patch, but they are so damned expensive! I ended up chewing pouches.
hmmmmmmmmmmm....... dont come on here and bs about stress.... there are a few of us on here that no what big boy stress is... and I aint talkin about having a test to study for... Now granted you may think that is stress. But if you cave and claim that you are stressed I will find you chop off your balls and feed them to you like they are peas. Come live an hour in my life and then lets talk stress and I sure as shit aint on no damn patch or gum i just threw the shit away. Oh by the way your avatar is gay. welcome to a site full of dudes we dont want to be seeing your little faggotty ass abs with the cell phone pic in the mirror. Dont care. I seen your post about me being a little harsh for your first post to read when you came lookin for your quit group... I said it then and I will say it now. If you think that was harsh just wait till you really tee me off. I got a lot of anger built up for fuckers just like you... So welcome to the Thunderdome bitch. :ph43r: we be off our rockers up in here 'Crazy'
I have very little experience with nicotine. I've chewed for less than six months. But I have a lot of experience quitting drugs and alcohol. All I can say is if a group of alcoholics tried to stay sober the way people here are doing it I.e. relying on white knuckling will power, and then ripping each other apart when someone relapsed and honestly came back, AA wouldn't be around today. That's no way to get truly free from an addiction.

I know a guy who didn't drink for 21 years. He's now been sober for 14yrs. There's a difference between just quitting and finding actual sobriety. I can spot a dry addict a mile away. Can't say there's any shortage of them here.

Today I read a post by a guy who came back after caving. Decided to start over. Admitted his honest mistake. The people here think that ripping him a new asshole is going to do something good. They have no idea about addiction recovery.

In AA if someone makes it back through the door everyone lends support and does everything they can to keep them there so they don't drink again.

Personally I would take a look at nicotine anonymous if I were you. Or any other 12 step program. 12 step programs actually have a track record worth following.

Take this for what it is. Like it or don't. It's just my experience. I won't be back. There's a difference between being "quit" (which isn't an adjective by the way) and being sober. Sobriety makes one feel at peace. When I go in the "quit groups" I see anything but peace.

Thru a phone line and a cable line (the way we are connected to each other and this site) is what we have here and in order to be in a Brotherhood and to be kept Accountable for your actions there has to be a CONSEQUECE for not living up to your PROMISES (NO NICOTINE). The consequence is to get your ass chewed (thru the phone/cable line) by your quit brothers. It is very clear how it works- I have had moments of not liking it either but it works if you realize that when people rage here they represent the VOICE OF THE QUITTER YOU WANT TO BE. It is not meant to be 12 step or any other progam- it is shade tree addiction therapy by untrained dudes with computer access fighting an addiction-TOGETHER. I don't know if being sober and quit are similar experiences- I wish you well on your journey and hope you find the resources you need.

PS From your Avatar it looks like you have shingles- see a doctor!
There are 2 types of pain: the pain of DISCIPLINE and the pain of REGRET.

Offline TheClap

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »

Offline spot

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
Quit for today.

Just another day in the sand box

"Been a good friend to all you've met;
Some became true friends but most you'd like to forget"

Spot In the Morning

'wd40'

Offline TheClap

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
Quote from: Smokeyg
Hey TheClap - I apologize if I missed this from an earlier post, but what is the plan laid out by your sponsor.  How long does your sponsor recommend you stay on the patch? 

I only ask because I may have just overstepped my bounds when I erased the "Brew" from February's roll post title out of respect for your quit.  To make it a more inviting atmosphere.  Will you be quitting within the next 27 days and joining February 2010 or will you be a part of a later quit group?
I don't know if I'll be off the patch in the next 27 days. My sponsor didn't specifically say "Quit, but use the patch." When he quit alcohol tobacco and drugs there were no such things as NRT. Weed was the last thing he quit, so he kinda went in the other direction.

Things are more like this. I was all proud to tell him that I had quit chewing. He kinda winced and said "hmm that may not be a very good idea right now. When you deprive your body of things that it likes, it can get a little upset at you. Then you end up drinkin' again."

I'm going over to his house tonight. I'll talk to him about it.

I noticed that "brew" was taken out of that group. That was very considerate of you.

Someone PMed me a list of excuses they used not to quit. They sounded very familiar. I don't know. All I know is I just got done with a 200 question exam and I've got another one here in a few hours so I'm going to study.

I posted roll call in the Feb group today. Should I have not done that?

Thanks for talking to me. Either way it gives me some knowledge about what I'm up against.

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Hey TheClap - I apologize if I missed this from an earlier post, but what is the plan laid out by your sponsor. How long does your sponsor recommend you stay on the patch?

I only ask because I may have just overstepped my bounds when I erased the "Brew" from February's roll post title out of respect for your quit. To make it a more inviting atmosphere. Will you be quitting within the next 27 days and joining February 2010 or will you be a part of a later quit group?

Offline Gump

• Quitter
    • framedartexpert.com
  • Interests: my daughterquittingwinningbusinessrock climbingbodybuildingguitarscubasnowboardingtheaterlive bandsdead bandspretty much anything in naturenot having nature invite itself into my househelping other people to quit nicotineAtlanta Picture Framer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
TC, when you decide to quit nicotine, you come back here, post roll on day one, and let everyone know exactly where you are. Most of the people who try nicotine replacement eventually have to go cold turkey anyway (I was one).

Some of us you'll find to be jerks. But they're jerks who quit using nicotine. Everyone deals with their quit in their own way. But some of us will inspire the hell out of you, and those will be the reason you come back on day two, and day three...You'll find a lot of people here have had just as hard a time as you have, and have quit and stayed quit anyway. You can do it too.
"Stupid is as stupid does"

Quit nicotine 9/1/09

Framed Art Expert

Offline TheClap

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Quote from: Skoal
Clap,

In the wildcard section there is a alcohol quit group. There are quitters in there with 25 years of sobriety. You have battled addictions of all sorts......why? Is it that your scared of dying from liver disease, pancreatitis, over dose ?  I don't know you from a two bit tranny (see Greg40) but I'm willing to bet that you didn't like the control that shit had on you. I will also bet that you know that addiction is about more than just quitting the substance. You CAN use nicotine replacement products like the patch and post here, BUT you must use them exactly as prescribed. Any deviation from the dosing schedule would contitute a cave. I once "quit" by eating 24 pieces of 4mg nic gum a day. Was I quit? Your call but when I stopped the gum I was back to the can in a split second.  Kinda like switching from vodka to bud light and saying you quit.

It takes 72 hours to get the nic out of your system, another few days to get rid of the rest of the cancer causing chemicals that you are bathing your body in. Read what to expect when you quit on this site, it will help give you some perspective.

My personal opinion is that your only prolonging your withdrawl symptoms with the patch. You almost got past the mark , but instead you re-introduced the chemical to your brain. You should know the law of addiction right?  What happens when you re-introduce the addictive substance to the body?  Try googling law of addiction, good reading.

Your pretty fucking tough to get as far as you have, maybe your sponsor is right, I don't know. Although I bet you got a lil tough left in ya for one more quit?

Skoal Monster
I quit because all those things made me f*cking miserable! Alcohol made me want to kill myself. And yet I kept doing it. But yes, you are right. It was a prison.

Funny what you said about the nicotine gum. That's one reason why I went with the patch instead. Also using the patch keeps the nicotine out of my mouth. Epithelial cells in the mouth and esophagus are some of the fastest dividing cells in the body. Each time a cell divides there is a chance of mutation, I.e. cancer.

Yeah, I don't want to be in this prison. I know I'm prolonging the inevitable. But I'm gonna follow my sponsor's advice on this one. The guy has over 30 years of sobriety. One way to be sure you relapse is to not follow your sponsors advice.

How stupid is that, I made a calculated decision to play with one of the most addictive chemical on earth. :unsure:

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Clap,

In the wildcard section there is a alcohol quit group. There are quitters in there with 25 years of sobriety. You have battled addictions of all sorts......why? Is it that your scared of dying from liver disease, pancreatitis, over dose ?  I don't know you from a two bit tranny (see Greg40) but I'm willing to bet that you didn't like the control that shit had on you. I will also bet that you know that addiction is about more than just quitting the substance. You CAN use nicotine replacement products like the patch and post here, BUT you must use them exactly as prescribed. Any deviation from the dosing schedule would contitute a cave. I once "quit" by eating 24 pieces of 4mg nic gum a day. Was I quit? Your call but when I stopped the gum I was back to the can in a split second. Kinda like switching from vodka to bud light and saying you quit.

It takes 72 hours to get the nic out of your system, another few days to get rid of the rest of the cancer causing chemicals that you are bathing your body in. Read what to expect when you quit on this site, it will help give you some perspective.

My personal opinion is that your only prolonging your withdrawl symptoms with the patch. You almost got past the mark , but instead you re-introduced the chemical to your brain. You should know the law of addiction right? What happens when you re-introduce the addictive substance to the body? Try googling law of addiction, good reading.

Your pretty fucking tough to get as far as you have, maybe your sponsor is right, I don't know. Although I bet you got a lil tough left in ya for one more quit?

Skoal Monster
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
I started my quit with 12 days on the patch. Every day that I was on the patch, I was going through nicotine withdrawals. I stopped using the patch after a few prods from quitters here, and I have never been sorry. After four days off of the patch, the physical withdrawals were almost totally gone.

My advice would be to just take the plunge and get it done; it takes just a few days to get the nic out of your system if you go cold turkey. Using the patch will drag the nicotine withdrawals out for months.

You will always be able to find a reason why right now is not a good time to quit. I spent over 12 years doing that. Stop right now.

The fact that you are quitting alcohol makes this a perfect time to quit tobacco too. You are already paying daily attention to cleaning yourself up and making yourself a better person, so put that attention to good use and ditch the tobacco too. I did the reverse order - quit nicotine 288 days ago and quit alcohol 106 days ago. There's an alcohol quit group in the "Wildcard" section of this forum.

Get rid of the excuses and quit right now.

Offline TheClap

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Quote from: greg40
Welcome!!!  Haven't we met once after I banged that Thai whore in NYC???  Dirty bastard!
B) Really wish I could just delete your post.

Offline greg40

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I've chewed for less than a year. I am a recovering alcoholic, so I know how deeply addiction runs in my veins. After AA meetings I see so many people light up, I don't want tobacco in my life. I can't keep chewing.

Last Friday I came home from a vehicular with the fire department (I'm a paramedic in training) and my wife had changed my screen saver to pictures of oral cancer.

"Cancer runs in your family babe. You can't keep doing this."

I knew she was right. I had chewed my last two pouches that morning, so I just didn't buy anymore.

Yesterday I noticed one of the pictures she posted had a caption that said "...you need to know what you're up against, and you need a plan."

Where do we get information? The internet of course. I found quitting information on the American Cancer Society website. That's where I found a link to your site.

I was on day three yesterday, I felt horrible. I guess you could say I "caved." I went and got some nicotine patches... so I guess I haven't actually quit yet. The ACS said they were a better option than chewing. I'm not chewing, but I'm on a patch.

I'm betting that patches are frowned upon here. Still, I don't know if I could make it through this week without them. I know I could make it through the week, but I have three exams and I don't know if I could make it through the exams.

Anyway, maybe it's just a rationalization to use the patch, but I've only been sober for 112 days. My sponsor (a non tobacco user) told me to be careful about trying to quit this early in my sobriety. Staying sober is the most important thing in my life right now.

Chewing never made me put a gun in my mouth and want to pull the trigger. If I drink again I could decide to drive and I could wind up killing or paralyzing somebody. When I drink I'm a danger to myself and those around me.

I quit cocaine cold turkey four years ago. I quit prescription amphetamines and all other drugs over a year ago. But alcohol was the thing that really kicked my ass. I have been going to meetings for almost two years now, and this is my first time with more than 52 days of sobriety.

I won't mention my alcohol addiction anywhere else other than my personal little thread here. This is a site dedicated to quitting chew, so I'll keep all my comments in all other threads restricted to quitting chew. I hate it when people come into AA and all they talk about is quitting something else. It's disrespectful, and it would be disrespectful to talk about my other addictions in other threads.

I don't know if I should post on this sight until I'm off the patch since I'm not actually nicotine free. I don't want to justify what I'm doing. I know just quitting would be better, but anything that may jeopardize my sobriety is unacceptable to me right now.

So when I'm off the patch and I can post in role call I really can't do step six since it says to "have a beer" and pat myself on the back. I'll just leave that "have a beer" part out. There's no such thing as having A beer for me.
Welcome!!! Haven't we met once after I banged that Thai whore in NYC??? Dirty bastard!

Offline cdforecheck

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Ice Hockey
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
it is going to be hell for a few days then the nic is gone completely and you can focus on recovery, just like with alcohol, a day at a time, it hurts for a while but it sure as hell beats cancer and once withdraw is done you NEVER have to go through it again if you don't use
Go Bucks! Quit Date: 12-23-2011

Offline TheClap

Quitting Early
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I've chewed for less than a year. I am a recovering alcoholic, so I know how deeply addiction runs in my veins. After AA meetings I see so many people light up, I don't want tobacco in my life. I can't keep chewing.

Last Friday I came home from a vehicular with the fire department (I'm a paramedic in training) and my wife had changed my screen saver to pictures of oral cancer.

"Cancer runs in your family babe. You can't keep doing this."

I knew she was right. I had chewed my last two pouches that morning, so I just didn't buy anymore.

Yesterday I noticed one of the pictures she posted had a caption that said "...you need to know what you're up against, and you need a plan."

Where do we get information? The internet of course. I found quitting information on the American Cancer Society website. That's where I found a link to your site.

I was on day three yesterday, I felt horrible. I guess you could say I "caved." I went and got some nicotine patches... so I guess I haven't actually quit yet. The ACS said they were a better option than chewing. I'm not chewing, but I'm on a patch.

I'm betting that patches are frowned upon here. Still, I don't know if I could make it through this week without them. I know I could make it through the week, but I have three exams and I don't know if I could make it through the exams.

Anyway, maybe it's just a rationalization to use the patch, but I've only been sober for 112 days. My sponsor (a non tobacco user) told me to be careful about trying to quit this early in my sobriety. Staying sober is the most important thing in my life right now.

Chewing never made me put a gun in my mouth and want to pull the trigger. If I drink again I could decide to drive and I could wind up killing or paralyzing somebody. When I drink I'm a danger to myself and those around me.

I quit cocaine cold turkey four years ago. I quit prescription amphetamines and all other drugs over a year ago. But alcohol was the thing that really kicked my ass. I have been going to meetings for almost two years now, and this is my first time with more than 52 days of sobriety.

I won't mention my alcohol addiction anywhere else other than my personal little thread here. This is a site dedicated to quitting chew, so I'll keep all my comments in all other threads restricted to quitting chew. I hate it when people come into AA and all they talk about is quitting something else. It's disrespectful, and it would be disrespectful to talk about my other addictions in other threads.

I don't know if I should post on this sight until I'm off the patch since I'm not actually nicotine free. I don't want to justify what I'm doing. I know just quitting would be better, but anything that may jeopardize my sobriety is unacceptable to me right now.

So when I'm off the patch and I can post in role call I really can't do step six since it says to "have a beer" and pat myself on the back. I'll just leave that "have a beer" part out. There's no such thing as having A beer for me.