Author Topic: Ready to quit  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ready to quit
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65
Quote from: Mike_Land
Quote from: markfischer24
So i'm ready to quit the can.  I've tried before by basically "winging" and failed, usually within a few days!  I haven't quit yet and am looking for suggestions .....whens a good day? Does nicorette help? how about the herbal stuff!  I am truly sick of the addiction..the friction with my wife, the "need"...  I'm about to move out of state and feel like its a good time for a new start.  Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!
Ok Mark, there you have it. From several different quitters with different levels of experience. Don't try to plan your quit. The perfect day to quit will never come. There will always be a reason to put it off. As WT57 said earlier, the best time to quit is NOW!! Flush your stash, read every single thing on this site at least twice and post roll every single day. Give us your word you will not use and then keep your word just for that day. The next day we will start all over and do it again. Its a simple process.

I promise you that the first few days will suck beyond belief. Using patches, nicotine gum or any other substitute for dip will not make it any easier. Nicotine is nicotine and it doesn't matter how it gets into your system. As long as you are using a substitute you will still be using. It's not the dipping we are trying to stop. It's the using of nicotine. Quitting stone cold turkey is the only way to go. Man up, dump the stash and let's get started. There are a ton of people here to help you.

check your inbox. I've sent you my number. You can call or text me at any time. If I don't answer, I will get back to you at the very first opportunity. I'm with you on this. We have all been there, done that and got the t shirt.

Congrats on making a great decision to quit. I'm quit with you today.

Mike
Like they all said...Right Now.
Looks like that good day came and went, still not posting. When it came to quitting he must have said he wait for that next best day or maybe he like the friction with his wife. That friction could be so much better with a bigger set of balls.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
Quote from: Mike_Land
So i'm ready to quit the can.  I've tried before by basically "winging" and failed, usually within a few days!  I haven't quit yet and am looking for suggestions .....whens a good day? Does nicorette help? how about the herbal stuff!  I am truly sick of the addiction..the friction with my wife, the "need"...  I'm about to move out of state and feel like its a good time for a new start.  Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!
Ok Mark, there you have it. From several different quitters with different levels of experience. Don't try to plan your quit. The perfect day to quit will never come. There will always be a reason to put it off. As WT57 said earlier, the best time to quit is NOW!! Flush your stash, read every single thing on this site at least twice and post roll every single day. Give us your word you will not use and then keep your word just for that day. The next day we will start all over and do it again. Its a simple process.

I promise you that the first few days will suck beyond belief. Using patches, nicotine gum or any other substitute for dip will not make it any easier. Nicotine is nicotine and it doesn't matter how it gets into your system. As long as you are using a substitute you will still be using. It's not the dipping we are trying to stop. It's the using of nicotine. Quitting stone cold turkey is the only way to go. Man up, dump the stash and let's get started. There are a ton of people here to help you.

check your inbox. I've sent you my number. You can call or text me at any time. If I don't answer, I will get back to you at the very first opportunity. I'm with you on this. We have all been there, done that and got the t shirt.

Mike
Like they all said...Right Now.

Offline Mike_Land

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Triathlons and my girls, Wife Michelle and Daughter Olivia.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
So i'm ready to quit the can. I've tried before by basically "winging" and failed, usually within a few days! I haven't quit yet and am looking for suggestions .....whens a good day? Does nicorette help? how about the herbal stuff! I am truly sick of the addiction..the friction with my wife, the "need"... I'm about to move out of state and feel like its a good time for a new start. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Mike

Offline Murph8804

• Quitter
  • Interests: Golf and Hockey
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
I woke up last Sunday morning, and said fuck it, I'm done. Every other time Ive tried to quit due to family, gf's and work I never came close. Its all about you wanting to own your life, not doing it to satisfy everyone else. It sucks, I am on Day 5, but with all the support, in here your motivated to keep going forward. Sun flower seeds, to gum, back to sunflower seeds...

Murph

Offline rickddd

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/6/2013
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Welcome Mark! The only thing I would add is that NO nicorette does not help quit chewing, nor does the patch or lozenge.

And YES herbal dip is a useful tool in helping you quit. It allows you to just deal with the nicotine withdrawals, and not the oral fixation. As long as its non-tobacco and nicotine-free, it will help. Sunflower seeds, gum, jolly ranchers, and fake chew are all helpful.

Lets do this today! I'll quit with you, we all will. But you gotta take the first step.
---------------------------
Quit Date: 1/6/2013
Hall of Fame: 4/15/2013
COMMA! 10/2/2015
42nd floor: 7/6/2024

Offline rickddd

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/6/2013
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Quote from: Bean
Mark,

You've gotten great advice so far. But I have to throw in my two cents...

Before I quit, I had "tried" to plan a good quit date...birthday, new years, graduation, first job/home purchase, new truck, birth of first child...birth of second, and on and on it went for years. In fact, I would actually feel better about dipping after I would set a quit date?!! I would tell myself that, "I'm quitting in __ days, anyway...so it's okay to dip now." WTF?!!! Totally fucked up reasoning, I know. But that is the mind of an addict. We can actually make ourselves believe stooopid shit like that (stupid with three o's). We rationalize...we deceive...we hide...we lie. That's addiction. And we're addicts.

So, to answer your question, when is a good day? It is right fucking now. You don't believe me, you can't believe me, but still somewhere deep down you know I'm right.

As I've explained before, I came in from mowing the lawn on Sept 11, 2010...kids jumping on me, sweating all over the place with a dip in my mouth as usual. One of those "survivor shows" was on TV. Widows and kids who would have been my kids' ages when the Towers came down detailing their struggles and difficulties growing up "without daddy"...other daddies trying to fill in as best they could, throwing the baseball, talking about girls, etc. That little guy was choking back tears saying that "nobody could replace his daddy" as his mother lost it.

Well, that was fucking it!!! I spit that shit out right then. I didn't know how I was going to stay quit, but I sure as shit wasn't going to let tragedy torture my family...especially tragedy caused by my own stupid choice!

The key was that I KNEW I had to quit...I just hadn't decided it was now. I was a pretty good dad, but I was a better liar. I had to quit to make me the person my little boy thought I was. That tough little guy on TV was the catalyst I needed. Straight talk...no bullshitting.

I found this site 9 days later...that was 941 days ago.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR YOU. Not tomorrow, not on your birthday, not after just one more....RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!! There are no short cuts and nobody can do this for you. It is just YOU deciding that YOU will be quit. Don't try to come in here and tell a bunch of professional liars about your big plan to quit beginning the day after never. We see through that bullshit. You take the first step, post roll and we've got your back the rest of the way, brother. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
This should be required reading for everyone on KTC.

Strong stuff, Bean. Thanks.
---------------------------
Quit Date: 1/6/2013
Hall of Fame: 4/15/2013
COMMA! 10/2/2015
42nd floor: 7/6/2024

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Mark,

You've gotten great advice so far. But I have to throw in my two cents...

Before I quit, I had "tried" to plan a good quit date...birthday, new years, graduation, first job/home purchase, new truck, birth of first child...birth of second, and on and on it went for years. In fact, I would actually feel better about dipping after I would set a quit date?!! I would tell myself that, "I'm quitting in __ days, anyway...so it's okay to dip now." WTF?!!! Totally fucked up reasoning, I know. But that is the mind of an addict. We can actually make ourselves believe stooopid shit like that (stupid with three o's). We rationalize...we deceive...we hide...we lie. That's addiction. And we're addicts.

So, to answer your question, when is a good day? It is right fucking now. You don't believe me, you can't believe me, but still somewhere deep down you know I'm right.

As I've explained before, I came in from mowing the lawn on Sept 11, 2010...kids jumping on me, sweating all over the place with a dip in my mouth as usual. One of those "survivor shows" was on TV. Widows and kids who would have been my kids' ages when the Towers came down detailing their struggles and difficulties growing up "without daddy"...other daddies trying to fill in as best they could, throwing the baseball, talking about girls, etc. That little guy was choking back tears saying that "nobody could replace his daddy" as his mother lost it.

Well, that was fucking it!!! I spit that shit out right then. I didn't know how I was going to stay quit, but I sure as shit wasn't going to let tragedy torture my family...especially tragedy caused by my own stupid choice!

The key was that I KNEW I had to quit...I just hadn't decided it was now. I was a pretty good dad, but I was a better liar. I had to quit to make me the person my little boy thought I was. That tough little guy on TV was the catalyst I needed. Straight talk...no bullshitting.

I found this site 9 days later...that was 941 days ago.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR YOU. Not tomorrow, not on your birthday, not after just one more....RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!! There are no short cuts and nobody can do this for you. It is just YOU deciding that YOU will be quit. Don't try to come in here and tell a bunch of professional liars about your big plan to quit beginning the day after never. We see through that bullshit. You take the first step, post roll and we've got your back the rest of the way, brother. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Offline Radman

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Family and friends. Other than that, anything outdoors....motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, racing.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Welcome to the site, Mark. Honestly, for me, the only thing that "helps" is time. The only way to get there is to get nicotine out of your system as quick as possible. No taper-down. No patches. No nic gum. Puttin ANY FORM of nicotine into your body just delays the inevitable suffering that will happen when you eventually go cold turkey. Stop ingesting poison and let your body begin to cleanse itself. That'll put you one day closer to freedom.

Some guys here are huge advocates for the fake dip. That's a personal choice. I was sick and tired of everything that even resembled a tobacco product, so there's no way I was gonna carry around a can of that. But, if it helps you...... get ya some. Nobody here will harrass you about that. For me, sunflower seeds were the go-to.

Your intro seems to indicate that you hadn't previously done a lot of reading on this site. We're not about offering a bunch of different suggestions. We're not about delaying quitting. We're dang sure not about nicotine gum or patches. Some may call it hard-nosed, but one thing is for certain...... this method works. We are LIVING proof. Here are the facts as I see them.

1. The only "good day" to quit is TODAY.
2. Any product (patches, gum, etc.) containing nicotine just prolongs the suffering.
3. The method of dealing with the oral fixation is a personal choice.
4. I can do damn near anything for 24 hours, and I made a promise this morning.

This page will get you started

Then post roll here

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Quote from: Ajacks23
Today sounds like a great day to me. It's going to suck whatever day it may be so you might as well get it started now!
There is nothing easy about quitting the most addictive drug known to man. A drug that has and will continue to kill more people than any other drug. It is not easy but thousands have quit using ktc And you can to. Read everything on this site. Learn your enemy which is nicotine. When your ready to quit we will be here.. We are quit,,,, why don't you join us.
Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline Ajacks23

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
So i'm ready to quit the can. I've tried before by basically "winging" and failed, usually within a few days! I haven't quit yet and am looking for suggestions .....whens a good day? Does nicorette help? how about the herbal stuff! I am truly sick of the addiction..the friction with my wife, the "need"... I'm about to move out of state and feel like its a good time for a new start. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!
Today sounds like a great day to me. It's going to suck whatever day it may be so you might as well get it started now!
Quit Date: 2/22/2013

Ctrl A, X, V
Roll Patrol

Offline 30isEnuff

• Quitter
  • Keeping my jaw and tongue, I like them.
    • I'm The Owner of this Place.
  • Quit Date: May 25, 2012
  • Interests: "Being Quit" Today, just Today.Moving on to more of life before the light is gone.
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Quote from: Wt57
Mark, the best time to quit is NOW! Nicotine is nicotine no matter the form so you can't quit by changing delivery system! As for the tension between you and the wife is no reason to quit it has got to be about you wanting it more than anything else. You will continue to resent her bitching if its for her. As for fake dip, stuff all of it you want into your mouth or any other substance or thing that helps keep nicotine out! Dump your stash NOW! If you wait that best day to quit will have past and probably not come back.
what's wrong with right now?
flush your stash, get in here and read, chat, post roll. Save your life. Your life is worth saving? Right?
You can quit for a day, right? That is how we do it...one day at a time.
Come get your freedom! Enjoy real life as it is meant to be experienced.
Keeping my jaw and tongue...I like them.
It's poison I tell ya, You wouldn't drink Liquid Drano, would ya?

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Mark, the best time to quit is NOW! Nicotine is nicotine no matter the form so you can't quit by changing delivery system! As for the tension between you and the wife is no reason to quit it has got to be about you wanting it more than anything else. You will continue to resent her bitching if its for her. As for fake dip, stuff all of it you want into your mouth or any other substance or thing that helps keep nicotine out! Dump your stash NOW! If you wait that best day to quit will have past and probably not come back.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline nolenation

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
hey bud,

Great choice on coming on the forum. I'm on Day 11 and the support you get from this forum is amazing. I will say that the patches or any other nicotine are just replacements. The right way to do this is cold turkey. I dipped for 16 years straight, tried everything to quit and I made up my mind one day - I kept telling myself that the side effects of quitting are temporary - The cancer you get from this shit is not!

Get your shit together, buckle in, post roll everyday, and reach out! We are here for you brother.

I quit with you day in and day out!

Offline markfischer24

Ready to quit
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »