Author Topic: My Break Up With The Can  (Read 1540 times)

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: My Break Up With The Can
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
Nice you have you aboard Tater. Congratulations on your quit! Just look at the wide range of QUIT DATES you have in the responses here. Vets, to newbies. Classic stuff. Stay quit bro, love your story and your honesty. I would be carefule about this: So 9 days ago, the can and I broke up forever Just worry about quitting one day at a time. Just like all the success stories here.

Get involved wiht your strong DEC quit group.

You quit smells stong. PROUD to be quit wiht you today and tonite. Will worry abtout tomorrow.... tomorrow

Offline Igloo27

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-10-17
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
I'm just going to repeat what the wise dudes above have explained. You can't quit because of some deal with God over a cancer scare. God gives us free will, and allows us to live according to the choices that we make.

You must choose to not use nicotine for YOU.

Absolutely lean on your faith to give you courage and strength during this difficult time, but the choice has to be about you, and freeing yourself from the slavery of nicotine addiction.

No more Day 1s, I'm with you today, brother. If you show up tomorrow, I'll be with you then as well.

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
Quote from: Tater35
Hello Im am here because, the can and I broke up 9 days ago. We went together for the past 16 years, we never had a bad relationship, but the can never made me look good or clean, and at times the can embarrassed me. Over the years I kept telling myself I should quit, and break up with the can but often times the can and I loved each others company, we didn't hate each other, can after can after can while telling myself one day I should quit. 9 days ago I made that decision to quit and break up with the can for good! 9 days ago I became ill, the left side of my face swelled up, which is the same side as I put that chew in that I got from the can. Not knowing what was wrong with me I feared the worse, with google and so many other search options, I was convinced that the can had gotten me after 16 years. I ended up going to an after hours clinic and at that time the swelling had went down some, left there thinking maybe it was something that I ate. The very next day I woke up and the swelling was still there somewhat and I had to have something to eat so I did and the swelling came back. I called the on call doctor through my doctors office which he instructed me that I had a blockage in my saliva glands and to put a warm compress and massage it to see if it would go down and if it didn't I may have either a stone blocking my glands or a tumor. At that point I felt so down and so ashamed and so disappointed with myself, knowing that my addiction with the can more then likely contributed to my current health situation, I prayed, and I asked God to forgive me and please take care of me, and I told God that if he saw me through this that the can and I would be no longer seeing each other. The very next day, I felt 100 percent better and their was no swelling anymore and I followed up with my doctor who said everything looks good. So 9 days ago, the can and I broke up forever! It hasn't been easy, day 5 and day 6 were horrible, I missed the can, but I knew the can didn't miss me at all, in fact the can was probably picking up another sucker as I missed the can. My journey so far has not been pleasant, but well worth it and all the rewards that will come along the way will be amazing.
Tater what I'm reading from you is great! Most people cry,promise God, send money to Jimmy swaggert and whatever else it takes to get the all clear from cancer but just as soon as they get the all clear it's back to 2 can a day addiction! I'm proud of you and will always make myself available for you my friend! Quit on you badass! Pm me for my number. This shit is definitely not easy but definitely easier with help. Congrats on posting roll, make sure you do Roll just like you did nic, post just as soon as you wake up and piss every damn day!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline Nomore1959

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Good to see you post roll! We all miss the technical details the first couple times... the only way to screw up roll is to not post.

PM your fellow quitters, get contact info. The Decembros are a strong team that can and do support eachother.

Offline danojeno

• Quit Date March 2, 2015
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Nothing like breaking up with someone trying to kill us. The unfortunate part is that right now, that fear, that pray to God moment, is fresh in your mind but that won't always be the case. Time heals wounds and it won't be long when you may start to have fond memories of Niccy. You'll remember her after meals, on fishing trips, etc. It's during these times that your daily roll promise, the integrity you back the promise with and the brotherhood with the quitters here comes into play. You are an addict every day so watch for this bitch in your rear view mirror. When you see her, don't play fair. Call for help and we can all kick her ass. See you on roll Every Damn Day.

Offline Nomore1959

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
Tater, now that you are here let's make the most of your promise to God by repeating it daily to yourself and all quitters here that you will not use nicotine in any form today. You do this by posting roll (with the December 2015 quit group, you will all get to 100 days quit that month).

The keys to keeping your promise are brotherhood and accountability. The more quitters you connect with (yes, share your digits with total strangers, sounds odd but it works), the more resources and support you have when nicotine tempts you next -- as it will forever. Get to know these quitters and support them in return, this act of brotherhood strengthens your quit.

You just went through what we all fear. I am proud to quit with you today.

Offline Tater35

• Likes Given: 0
My Break Up With The Can
« on: September 21, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Hello Im am here because, the can and I broke up 9 days ago. We went together for the past 16 years, we never had a bad relationship, but the can never made me look good or clean, and at times the can embarrassed me. Over the years I kept telling myself I should quit, and break up with the can but often times the can and I loved each others company, we didn't hate each other, can after can after can while telling myself one day I should quit. 9 days ago I made that decision to quit and break up with the can for good! 9 days ago I became ill, the left side of my face swelled up, which is the same side as I put that chew in that I got from the can. Not knowing what was wrong with me I feared the worse, with google and so many other search options, I was convinced that the can had gotten me after 16 years. I ended up going to an after hours clinic and at that time the swelling had went down some, left there thinking maybe it was something that I ate. The very next day I woke up and the swelling was still there somewhat and I had to have something to eat so I did and the swelling came back. I called the on call doctor through my doctors office which he instructed me that I had a blockage in my saliva glands and to put a warm compress and massage it to see if it would go down and if it didn't I may have either a stone blocking my glands or a tumor. At that point I felt so down and so ashamed and so disappointed with myself, knowing that my addiction with the can more then likely contributed to my current health situation, I prayed, and I asked God to forgive me and please take care of me, and I told God that if he saw me through this that the can and I would be no longer seeing each other. The very next day, I felt 100 percent better and their was no swelling anymore and I followed up with my doctor who said everything looks good. So 9 days ago, the can and I broke up forever! It hasn't been easy, day 5 and day 6 were horrible, I missed the can, but I knew the can didn't miss me at all, in fact the can was probably picking up another sucker as I missed the can. My journey so far has not been pleasant, but well worth it and all the rewards that will come along the way will be amazing.