Author Topic: Long time reader, first time poster!  (Read 4226 times)

Offline NotsureWhyIeverDidthis

• Quit Date: 02/14/2019
  • Likes Given: 0
Long time reader, first time poster!
« on: May 07, 2019, 10:55:03 PM »
Im sitting here in a hotel room in FL on day 83 of being chew (Kodiak) free. I realized today, upon landing at the airport, that this is another first for me in being nicotine free.  Even having lived in FL for almost 10 years ('00-'09) and living away for the last 10 years, after having quit chew on 2/14/19, this is the first time in my life I've been on the ground in FL without nicotine in my body or a fat 'gamer' in my lip for longer than a day.

I didnt find this site with the intention to quit, i found it afterwards, looking to see what others have experienced giving up chew.  I started ~25 years ago, in middle and high school. like many of your stories that ive read, my use simply progressed into a full blown addiction.  The 'lips' just kept bigger and bigger, a normal pinch became 1/4 of the tin. 

From what I've read so far, I seem to have taken a different path to my initial quit. After remembering my aunt was only able to quit smoking by seeing a hypnotherapist many years ago, I decided to give it a try. It doesnt seem to have diminished the cravings etc but I can say I have not had to struggle with buying a tin in the gas station, I've not had the urge to go get a can.  I even found a half full can in my winter coat 2-3 weeks in to my quit and after taking a snif, dumped into the trash can and threw the tin in the recycle bin...found it  a bit humorous actually, like it was a test.  All i can say is A) i havent had a chew in 83 days, after roughly 25 years of having one every day, B) I AM NOT GOING THROUGH THE FIRST FEW WEEKS AGAIN!!!!!!! and C) I feel like what really helped me was recognizing that chew wasnt something that I just choose to do way back when, but rather it was something that I unwittingly used to deal with stress and anxiety.  Separating those things has really helped. I know, it sounds a little 'fufu' or whatever, but its working for me. 

Im not sure why i waited until Day 83 to post, but I dont think it really matters. I've lived vicariously through you guys for the last month plus and thought (or just finally had the opportunity) I need to share just in case it might help someone else.

I am looking forward to my Day 100 and as Ive read others stories about their journey towards it and beyond I thought why shouldnt I try to share and celebrate that with others who know exactly what it means to get there.

In any case, this short sharing of my current story feels good to get out there.  I'd say good luck, but luck doesnt keep that shit out of your mouth, you do. 

Looking forward to reading more and if anyone wants to share back please do.  Theres only so many times I can tell my wife about the dip dreams and how they've evolved !!!!