Author Topic: 3rd Times a Charm  (Read 1433 times)

Offline MattyB

• Quit Pro
  • January ‘18 F.U.R.Y.
  • Quit Date: 10/23/2017
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: 3rd Times a Charm
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Quote from: dundippin
MattyB,

Welcome to KTC!

Congratulations on making to day 52 on your own. That is hard. I quit for 2 two weeks on my own and met a bit of skepticism when I joined. I followed KTC posts from the beginning. I received an email or two from Chewie (one of the founders here) that helped me with my convictions.

I share the same tidbit with all new quitters as it is the advice I followed and still follow to remain quit. I hope it helps you.

The main way to be successful is to just decide that you have quit. Once you stop the negotiating in your head as to whether you will do one more or not the rest becomes far more simple.

Next, you will learn to distract your attention from your desire for a dip to anything else that interests you. This ability to change your focus will guarantee your success and make your quit that much easier.

When you place a dip in your mouth, your brain releases sugars. Well, those sugars are now going to be gone.

However, you can replace them with OJ or other fruit juices with sugar. This will provide some comfort, especially in your initial quit days.

Make sure to exercise with weights and cardio when you feel that nagging tension in your muscles, you feel that rage, when you can not sleep and when you cannot focus. Exercise really helps.

Here is one that most people overlook. Get at least 3 square meals a day. Hunger can really bring on those urges so squash those urges before they come. Eat full healthy meals and do not let yourself get excessively hungry. You will see this helps a great deal.

I waited until I was 59 quit after using tobacco for 40 years. You are wise to quit now.

I quit with you today.

Dundippin day 825
Thanks dun! IQWYT day 56

Offline Dundippin

• Quitter
  • Shift your focus so you do not think about it
    • Recovery Meeting Place
  • Quit Date: 9/15/2015
  • Interests: Web development, database design, management, weightlifting, bike riding, gardening and watching the Baltimore Ravens.
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
MattyB,

Welcome to KTC!

Congratulations on making to day 52 on your own. That is hard. I quit for 2 two weeks on my own and met a bit of skepticism when I joined. I followed KTC posts from the beginning. I received an email or two from Chewie (one of the founders here) that helped me with my convictions.

I share the same tidbit with all new quitters as it is the advice I followed and still follow to remain quit. I hope it helps you.

The main way to be successful is to just decide that you have quit. Once you stop the negotiating in your head as to whether you will do one more or not the rest becomes far more simple.

Next, you will learn to distract your attention from your desire for a dip to anything else that interests you. This ability to change your focus will guarantee your success and make your quit that much easier.

When you place a dip in your mouth, your brain releases sugars. Well, those sugars are now going to be gone.

However, you can replace them with OJ or other fruit juices with sugar. This will provide some comfort, especially in your initial quit days.

Make sure to exercise with weights and cardio when you feel that nagging tension in your muscles, you feel that rage, when you can not sleep and when you cannot focus. Exercise really helps.

Here is one that most people overlook. Get at least 3 square meals a day. Hunger can really bring on those urges so squash those urges before they come. Eat full healthy meals and do not let yourself get excessively hungry. You will see this helps a great deal.

I waited until I was 59 quit after using tobacco for 40 years. You are wise to quit now.

I quit with you today.

Dundippin day 825

Offline MattyB

• Quit Pro
  • January ‘18 F.U.R.Y.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
Quote from: steve
So here it is quit day 52 for me and I just joined yesterday. Got some non believers in my group that think I'm trolling them and that's fine they have been a tight nit group for a couple of months. Trust but Verify.

So how I got to day 52 by myself.

I am 34 years old and have been dipping since I was 14. Granted back then it was 3/4 of a tin a day like it was before Day 1 of my quit but I can remember a guy at my dads shop giving me my first Cope.

Fast forward through many one to two day quits through the years to January 2015. I quit cold turkey looked at some of the post on KTC even bought many different kids of fake dip. I actually never signed up on here (although I would still read through the what to expect) and still made it to some time in June. So roughly a 6 month quit (wasn't keeping track back then). We went down to Florida like every June and I knew all of my cousins dipped and the mind games started. That I can have just one turned into 3/4 tin a day habit again and 6 months of quit down the drain.

Knowing the HELL I was going to go through finally Black Friday 2016 drunk as a skunk I threw my tin and 2 logs of cope into the bonfire and said I am done. Well I was I thought. That lasted a little over a month and a New Years Eve Party was coming up and stupid me I went and bought a tin thinking just one.

It took me till October this year to say enough is enough. 10/23/17 was my first of many quit days to come! I said 3rd times a charm and here is why I believe that. As I sit here on day 52 quit I am using the tools KTC offers which I haven't done in the past. HELL I have been debating joining for over 51 days. I am sure there are a lot of people out there like I was who look at KTC from the window but never open that door and step in. Maybe you can make it but I couldn't. With the support groups (Quit Groups) in place it is a much better accountability field than trying it by yourself. Even with some flak from guys and gals who don't know me yet I am glad to say I quit with the FURY today!

Welcome Matty! Keep posting they guys will realize you are not a troll ( trolling is pretty common in the newer groups) you can also post roll in any of the other groups, just do a quick intro.
It would be good for you to go to the newest group and start posting roll with them ( as a supporter) that way you would get to know some brand new guys and you would be able to give them advice and support. I think it means more to the newbie to hear from a guy who is Quit that is just a few weeks ahead of you than from a guy who has been quit for years.

Stop by an post roll with us any time

Steve S
October 2010
Thanks Steve. Will Do!

Offline Steve S

• Quitter
  • Interests: kayaking, hiking, camping , skiing, guns, shooting, reading
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
So here it is quit day 52 for me and I just joined yesterday. Got some non believers in my group that think I'm trolling them and that's fine they have been a tight nit group for a couple of months. Trust but Verify.

I am 34 years old and have been dipping since I was 14. Granted back then it was 3/4 of a tin a day like it was before Day 1 of my quit but I can remember a guy at my dads shop giving me my first Cope.

Fast forward through many one to two day quits through the years to January 2015. I quit cold turkey looked at some of the post on KTC even bought many different kids of fake dip. I actually never signed up on here (although I would still read through the what to expect) and still made it to some time in June. So roughly a 6 month quit (wasn't keeping track back then). We went down to Florida like every June and I knew all of my cousins dipped and the mind games started. That I can have just one turned into 3/4 tin a day habit again and 6 months of quit down the drain.

Knowing the HELL I was going to go through finally Black Friday 2016 drunk as a skunk I threw my tin and 2 logs of cope into the bonfire and said I am done. Well I was I thought. That lasted a little over a month and a New Years Eve Party was coming up and stupid me I went and bought a tin thinking just one.

It took me till October this year to say enough is enough. 10/23/17 was my first of many quit days to come! I said 3rd times a charm and here is why I believe that. As I sit here on day 52 quit I am using the tools KTC offers which I haven't done in the past. HELL I have been debating joining for over 51 days. I am sure there are a lot of people out there like I was who look at KTC from the window but never open that door and step in. Maybe you can make it but I couldn't. With the support groups (Quit Groups) in place it is a much better accountability field than trying it by yourself. Even with some flak from guys and gals who don't know me yet I am glad to say I quit with the FURY today!

Welcome Matty! Keep posting they guys will realize you are not a troll ( trolling is pretty common in the newer groups) you can also post roll in any of the other groups, just do a quick intro.
It would be good for you to go to the newest group and start posting roll with them ( as a supporter) that way you would get to know some brand new guys and you would be able to give them advice and support. I think it means more to the newbie to hear from a guy who is Quit that is just a few weeks ahead of you than from a guy who has been quit for years.

Stop by an post roll with us any time

Steve S
October 2010

Offline MattyB

• Quit Pro
  • January ‘18 F.U.R.Y.
3rd Times a Charm
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »

Offline MattyB

• Quit Pro
  • January ‘18 F.U.R.Y.
3rd Times a Charm
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »