Author Topic: My Intro Post  (Read 4950 times)

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
  • The PHALANX (July 2016)
  • Quit Date: Apr 1, 2016
  • Interests: Steelers, Pens, Pirates; Sci-Fi stuff; Scouting; Native Crafts;
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: My Intro Post
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
My Open letter to PGM

Dear Post-Ghost and Missing (PGM) user,

At some point (usually) in the not to distant past, you signed up for this site. A site that promises to help you quit, as long as you do 2 simple things:
  • While you are ON the site you promise not to use Nicotine
  • Each day, you start your day with a promise, a promise not to use Nicotine that day.
If you do those two things, we promise you will be quit. We have hundreds of people who have come here month after month and done those two little things, and they now are quit. Many of them turn around and try to help the next group out so they too can be quit.

You may or may not be aware, but there are others in you "HOF Group" who are quite literally looking out for you. They are looking for your posts, and they keep track of which days you have and haven't posted. Others are reaching out to you by whatever means they can to see if you are ok, to see if your still quit. These people all want to help you with that quit.

I assume that if you are taking the time out of your day to come onto this site after missing for a few days, you must still be quit. GREAT! At the end of the day everyone here really just wants you to be quit. You seem to be getting the 'do not use' part of the requirement. But why can't you post your promise everyday? Why do you leave these other people wondering about you?

I was a Post  Ghost for a good bit, I get it. I earn a living on the computer, I don't always want to spend free time on it too. And all that BS/hate/trolling in the early days is (are?) not my style. But I did come here every single day to make that promise. I also texted with my 'quit brothers' regularly. I formed that brotherhood that helped to hold me accountable so I could be successful in my quit.

Now maybe you can quit on your own. Maybe you can quit with a Post-It note each morning on the mirror. (Personally I don't care how you do it, I just want you quit). But please help out the others here that are trying to help you. If your gonna stick around, post every damn day (EDD). These methods work, and hundreds of us stand by them. We are living proof of the success. It is worth your time to find a way to post (either on the forum or a pickup request to a brother/sister). You found a way to make time to get a fresh can, you can do this. But please, if you're not gonna post EDD, kindly step aside. I promise we will not take offense.

Quit on, and Quit Strong. IQWYinz
-- Gentgeen
"Some think that happiness comes from getting, others know it comes from giving." --Lord Baden Powell

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »
SO another "I will fix this later" post..... (I need to get to work or my boss is gonna be pissed :D )

I forgot to save the URL .. but this was in the middle of a long thread about posting roll ....
Quote from: Frazzled
And more importantly, the number you post on roll is the number of days you have been quit plus today. This is not a status report of how many days you've been Quit in the past alone. It is a promise that you are adding 1 day to the total number.

For instance, I posted 1918 today. That means I have been Quit for 1917 days that have elapsed, plus the 1918th day that is today.

Why is this distinction important?

Because anyone can post a status update. That's what FB is for. Here we post a promise that is the power of this site, which is:

Today, the only day I can control, I will not use nicotine in any form.

A promise is a powerful tool because it strengthens our character, it forces us to be aware of how today rolls out, and how I will react in situations that used to lead me back to the can.

If I fail today, I cannot count the past 1917 days as a success. Therefore, it is that 1 number...today's number...that is so important.
Saw this on May'15 Roll, idea needs added to this.... noting it here fro when I can get back and put together something intelligent
Remember to make your promise early in the day, every day, or text a buddy to do it for you. Don't tell us you "were quit" today. Promise us you "WILL BE QUIT" today.
"Some think that happiness comes from getting, others know it comes from giving." --Lord Baden Powell

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
Before I forget .... Irish can really write!!! topic/11541810/ his Intro tread is packed full of great reads.

(I actually will be coming back to this post and putting in some notes for myself saving that link)

I keep using his "3 questions" post ... so here is direct link to that post --- single/?p=9654281t=11541810

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
So I just ran across two little 'gems' I want to save... Original posts: topic/1005074/1/

Quote from: PbKid
It wasn't that I planned to cave. It's that I failed to plan, then caved.
Quote from: Skoal
5 Steps to a planned cave, I dunno, prob different for everybody.
On this site I should say it starts with an excuse to not post, My internet, grandma, car, house, bike, girdle, vagina, airconditioning broke so I won't be around for a few days. Second is a lack of vigilence due to leaving the site. Very easy to forget your addiction when your not forced to confront it everyday thru KTC. 3rd you become over confident in your self control. You don't post and you hardly ever think about dip so you must be a beacon of self control right? WRONG.

At this point your primed for a cave, planned or not. I guess step five is to stuff that cancer causing dirt flavored puke inducing worm shit into your yap.
(If I counted that right, I only see 4 steps, but I think SM still hit the point :D )

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Quote from: Thumblewort
Quote from: gentgeen
So I was not very good at documenting my quit... I am not good at documenting much of anything really :D .... SO IDK, just gonna start dropping some 'gems' and such in here.

So I just wrote a post directed as someone who has little access to a computer, and no cell. Just prior to this I was having a discussing with the group about what to do when you are out enjoying life, and have little to no cell service. Although I did not recognize it RIGHT away, I see that both really lead to the same thing. It is one of those important things this place as taught me.

So in both cases, and really - for your over all quit - you need to have a support plan. Here at KTC we assume you have a cell, and you other quitters digits. So the assumed plan is "I will post my promise each day, I will get on the board and bitch when I feel crappy, I will 'phone a friend' should I need help with my quit" . But what is the back-up plan.

So here are the key questions I think you/me/anyone needs to answer when building their own "Support Plan" -
  • "What do I do when I can't post on KTC?"
  • "How can I make my Daily Promise?"
  • "What do I do when I start to feel a cave?"
  • "Who do bitch at when I feel like ripping the world a new one?"
If you can answer these questions, then you got a great plan in place, and you are gonna have a successful quit. Just remember that times change... so your answers on day 5 of your quit may be different than the answers for day 78 and different again for day 279 (my current day).

-- Gentgeen - Day 200+79 IQWYinz all day and every day !
Anyone can bitch at me anytime - I kinda like it!
Good to know you cock sucking little turd :P (was that good enough for today? )

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
Quote from: gentgeen
So I was not very good at documenting my quit... I am not good at documenting much of anything really :D .... SO IDK, just gonna start dropping some 'gems' and such in here.

So I just wrote a post directed as someone who has little access to a computer, and no cell. Just prior to this I was having a discussing with the group about what to do when you are out enjoying life, and have little to no cell service. Although I did not recognize it RIGHT away, I see that both really lead to the same thing. It is one of those important things this place as taught me.

So in both cases, and really - for your over all quit - you need to have a support plan. Here at KTC we assume you have a cell, and you other quitters digits. So the assumed plan is "I will post my promise each day, I will get on the board and bitch when I feel crappy, I will 'phone a friend' should I need help with my quit" . But what is the back-up plan.

So here are the key questions I think you/me/anyone needs to answer when building their own "Support Plan" -
If you can answer these questions, then you got a great plan in place, and you are gonna have a successful quit. Just remember that times change... so your answers on day 5 of your quit may be different than the answers for day 78 and different again for day 279 (my current day).

Anyone can bitch at me anytime - I kinda like it!
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Just as reference... my "Dip Dream" from around day 260 or so.... single/?p=11235079t=11568995
So I had a weird one last night...IDK if this counts as a 'dip dream' or not.... LOLOL

I was hanging out with suthern_gntlman, maybe at a restaurant or a bar or such... anyway, I walked into the bathroom and there he was putting some cat shit in his lip. I woke up thinking to myself "What should I do...should I wait for him, or should I call him out??? "

1) sorry SG for 'making' you dip
2) Why the F is SG in my dream?
3) and as always.... IWQYinz

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »

Plan That Quit

So I just wrote a post directed at someone who has limited access to a computer, and no cellphone. Just prior to this I was having a discussing with a pre-HOF group about what to do when you are out enjoying life, and have little to no cell service. Although I did not recognize it RIGHT away, I see that both scenarios are really lead to the same thing.

So in both cases, and really - for your overall quit - you need to have a support plan. Here at KTC we assume you have a cell, and you have other quitters digits. So the assumed plan is "I will post my promise each day, I will get on the forum/live chat and bitch when I feel crappy and I will 'phone a friend' should I need help with my quit" . But what is the back-up plan? What is your plan when you are NOT at your computer and/or without a phone?

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
Congrats Kevin! Nice going so far. I had neck throbbing, too the pain, jaw pain. For probably 50-75 days.

The fog IS real. Remember your brain is going to have to require itself. There are periods of dog I had even past 100 days.

Do anything you can to stay quit. This might sound nuts but for my first couple weeks of quit I changed my phone screen save to cancer pics I grabbed from google images. Kept one in my wallet too. In case I was going to reach for some cash to buy a tin

Every 1 is amazing,that is priceless !!! How perfect and how true.

Proud to quit with you today. See you on role call in the morning!

Offline kubiackalpha

• Quitter
  • Interests: Boobs, Butts (on females)....is there anything else that would be of interest? I can't think of any.
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
Congrats on the decision to quit! Like it ahs been said before. Every plus one is amazing. Whether it be 1 minute or one day. Drinking water will help you through your withdrawals. Get some fellow quitters digits. Get your quit on!

Offline Corbin

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
Proud to quit with all of you. Getting through day one or 30 is awesome. Every +1 counts. Post role daily and commit to your promise. 28 year slave!

Corbin 391

Offline Johnnyrb

• Quit Date: 2016-04-05
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
Sounds like your off to a great start keep it up im on day 7 myself hoping I can start tasting my food soon lol

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
That's great. Now it's time to keep it going, and you've found the right place.

We quit one day at a time.

The most effective tool here is posting roll call. You post roll in your quit group thread. Look for the Quit Groups in the forums. Your quit group is pre HOF July '16. That's the month you will be 100 days quit, which is a milestone we celebrate here.

Posting roll is your promise to your group that you will not use nicotine in any form for the day. We post roll every single day, as early in the day as we can. Keep your word, and make the same promise tomorrow. It's that simple - not easy, but simple.

In between, lean on your brothers and sisters in quit for support. Get phone numbers for a few of them to use in emergency.

The system is very effective. I'm 82 days quit, and there are many who are thousands of days quit.

Make a promise, keep your word. Stay quit.

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
My Intro Post
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Kevin.... and 11 days ago I took my last dip. I had been dipping for some ~35yrs now. (EDIT: ~25yrs - fat fingered it I guess)

Thought for my intro I would (try) and tell a little story of how I got here. I am a computer geek/math guy.. not a writer, so hopefully this isn't TOO bad...
:D

Well for some time now (year? two?) I have been trying to quit. I had gotten myself down to ~2 cans a week. I hit a roadblock, and just could not seem to get myself any lower... some weeks I might go 3 cans, but never seemed to be able to get below that 2 can a week spot. "No biggy" is what I tended to think to myself, at least I got this far. (I tend to be a pretty easy going fella)

That brings me to 'now'... On Apr. 1st (ya, I know, gotta love the timing) at about 10:30am I had 3 teeth removed (Back upper molars). Not really directly related to the dipping, but more to the just not going to the dentist...which in some way prob. was due to dipping as well as 100 other things, but anyway....

So I had my teeth pulled, and spent most the day drugged up, and sore. So I got through my Day 1 by accident - and a lot of pain and a bit of drugs :D.

So Day 2 rolls around, and a I feeling a little better, and I reach for that can after having my (soft) breakfast.... "Wait, you just went a whole day without one, and with very little thought of getting one... lets see if you can do it again" was pretty much what went through my head. Well due to the pain, I kept taking the pills as perscripbed... and those things put me right to sleep. SO I sleep most of day 2.

Now Day 3.... the (tooth) pain is (mostly) gone, so no/only a little pills today.... Now I just want to see if I can keep going with this little "no dips" experiment.... And as I type that I am thinking to myself, "Boy, that pretty much sums up today, and yesterday, and.... "

So here I am ... Day 11 .... proud of my progress so far.... frustrated that it isn't easier.... being amazed that this "haze" I read about is SOOOO F#@% real...... and just like Day 3, I keep thinking to myself "Shoot, I made it this far, lets see if I can go another day"

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
Re: Gentgeen's (Not really an intro) Intro Post
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 08:51:16 AM »
Another tid-bit I wanted to save.  This one came from a bigger thread, and I did not record the when or the link.  It was Frazzled, in response/discussion about why we post at the start of our day, not at the end of the day.  It also touches on why "+1" is a not allowed, and posting the actual number is so important:

Quote from: Frazzled
And more importantly, the number you post on roll is the number of days you have been quit plus today. This is not a status report of how many days you've been Quit in the past alone. It is a promise that you are adding 1 day to the total number.

For instance, I posted 1918 today. That means I have been Quit for 1917 days that have elapsed, plus the 1918th day that is today.

Why is this distinction important?

Because anyone can post a status update. That's what FB is for. Here we post a promise that is the power of this site, which is:
Today, the only day I can control, I will not use nicotine in any form.

A promise is a powerful tool because it strengthens our character, it forces us to be aware of how today rolls out, and how I will react in situations that used to lead me back to the can.

If I fail today, I cannot count the past 1917 days as a success. Therefore, it is that 1 number...today's number...that is so important.