Author Topic: Das Quit  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Bucknuts

• Likes Given: 0
Re: Das Quit
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
This is my first time on the site...I've been dipping a can a day for 15 years and really need to "kick the can" I know it's ultimately up to me to quit but I'm looking for any help or suggestions to ease the transition to a dip free life.

Offline allec

• Quitter
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
Correction. I just read about what Skyline Chili is. No beans (thank God), but still....spaghetti? I am not sure that's for me...

On the subject of chili and dipping. It is amazing what quitting has done to my taste buds. They are, well, back, and they are much more sensitive. Case in point - the two alarm chili I make now packs much more of a punch.

Das quit looks like it's working out for you, and my family is also a trigger.

PM me if you ever need anything.

Offline allec

• Quitter
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Quote from: MichaelsNewLife
Understanding that those "craves" are just like the "craves" I get for Skyline Chili - there's just a little more dopamine involved.
Boy, as a native Texan, we need to have a serious talk about chili and how cravings for the wrong kind of chili (i.e., chili that is mild and has beans) can wreck your life....

Prayer and some quiet time with the Lord (or some not so quiet time with some boys from Terlingua) will help cleanse that sin as well...

Just kidding. On that note, I now have a craving for some chili.

But two items to ponder -

1. Staying mad helps you stay quit.
2. Never underestimate the power of prayer.

You've got a nice qiut going.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
God, I wish I could fight USST - let's organize some sort of cage fight between USST executives and us. Fuck 'em, fuck 'em...I hate 'em, fuck 'em
A slow burning hatred for the death dealers will help you stay quit. A little cage match would be fun. I would like to drop some elbows on a few of those fuckers !!

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Day 50

Oh holy shit and sweaty donkey balls...it's just my luck that for the week I turn 50 (i.e., fifty days quit) it was the week my parents decided to visit to meet their new grandson. Because when my parents came into town (Day 46) they brought with them a big ole bag of crave. The other night, Day 48, when they left my house I could barely function because of the enormous amount of craving pulsating through my fiber. I almost collasped -

It is this experience that has solidified my QUIT; I know that if I can get through this week without a lipper, I can get through anything without a lipper. Subsequently, proving that I don't need, nor will I ever need, a pinch of chew between my lip and gums. It's like my cherry was just popped - I'm now a veteran.

So, coupled with this week I reached 50 Days Quit - awesome, I feel awesome. Thinking back the last fifty, I think what has kept me QUIT has been:

(1) This website (e.g., accountability, being able to voice my experiences, read about others, etc.).
(2) Praying, the strength I find in the Lord - couldn't have done this without Him.
(3) Fear of cancer if I were to keep using.
(4) Setting a good example for my sons.
(5) A multitude of Orbit gum and gummy worms.
(6) Understanding that those "craves" are just like the "craves" I get for Skyline Chili - there's just a little more dopamine involved.
(7) The feeling that with each day I am QUIT it's like I am saying FUCK YOU to the shit that ruled my life for the last 16 years. I got my life, I got me back!!

I can't stress enough the power of this website. When I first began I thought this site was aweful...in the sense that no one was supportive and they were just assholes. I told myself just to post roll and when I got to 100 days that would be it. Then as things progressed I was a little bit more in favor of the site, may be I would stick around, but probably not after the HOF. Now, I need this site to help keep my focus, understand that it is only one day at a time and we could fall at any time, and really that I'm not alone, nor will I ever be alone in this struggle. To me, that means a lot - it's helped me get to 50 Days.

God, I wish I could fight USST - let's organize some sort of cage fight between USST executives and us. Fuck 'em, fuck 'em...I hate 'em, fuck 'em!
HOF: 17-JUL-2010

I am saved by God's grace and I am quit through His strength, courage, and power.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Steelers

• Quitter
  • Interests: All Sports, namely my beloved Steelers
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Day 47

My parents are in town this week to see the new baby, they arrived last night. After they left my house last night to return to the hotel (yes, they stay in a hotel when they visit…it’s best for everyone) I almost fell to my knees as the weight of the cravings was far too great for me to withstand. I immediately went to my wife and made light of the situation, she in-turn questioned whether or not I had a juicy lipper in my mouth (she knows me oh so well because in the past I would have had put one in), and I was able to give her a little quick wit and obviously a “no” to her question. However inconsequential this exchange really was, really it wasn’t because within one minute (during the time of the conversation) that enormous crave monster was killed.

This situation is why, in my humble opinion, you need to involve others in das quitt. I am accountable for my own actions, however sometimes I cannot be strong on my ownÂ…isnÂ’t that why we are all here? Furthermore, itÂ’s a lot easier to defeat something, anything, as a group rather than as one. In the end, it is our QUIT, but involving others in das quitt will only assist you in times of need - it'll never hurt. Yeah, sometimes my wife brings up some of the bad stuff and rubs my nose in it (although I deserve it I get upset), but in times of need she is right there holding me up so I can beat down that fucking crave monster. I will need her more as the week progresses.

I’ve been having a lot of dip dreams recently (days 44-47). One over the weekend had me convinced that I caved and was back chewing again. I haven’t caved, but it was so intense and “real” that for a couple of hours on Sunday morning I was very confused. I hate these dreams; because in my opinion they are interfering with my QUIT by perpetuating the false desire or need for chewing tobacco. As I progress with my QUIT and the desire or want to chew lessens, it’s this dip dream that, all of a sudden out of nowhere, grazes my ball sack just ever so much to make my stomach ache for a dip again. I feel as though it’s a step back…this makes me very angry.

This shit sucks…I pray that my three boys will have the strength and courage to stand up and say “no” to those who offer them a pinch. I wasn’t strong enough, my weak ass said, “…sure, why not?” and 16 years later here I am in a whole world of shit.

A bright-side, the Reds are tied for first place in the NL Central and with Mike Leake (4-0, 2.91) on the mound tonight against the Pirates itÂ’s in the bag!!
Good post, I really like the posts that are true and to the point. I find those very helpful. Love the Reds (And Pirates) too buddy. I have been to many games there.

I had my most vivid dreams right where you are. (40's) They have subsided to a degree though.
6 time champs

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
Day 47

My parents are in town this week to see the new baby, they arrived last night. After they left my house last night to return to the hotel (yes, they stay in a hotel when they visit…it’s best for everyone) I almost fell to my knees as the weight of the cravings was far too great for me to withstand. I immediately went to my wife and made light of the situation, she in-turn questioned whether or not I had a juicy lipper in my mouth (she knows me oh so well because in the past I would have had put one in), and I was able to give her a little quick wit and obviously a “no” to her question. However inconsequential this exchange really was, really it wasn’t because within one minute (during the time of the conversation) that enormous crave monster was killed.

This situation is why, in my humble opinion, you need to involve others in das quitt. I am accountable for my own actions, however sometimes I cannot be strong on my ownÂ…isnÂ’t that why we are all here? Furthermore, itÂ’s a lot easier to defeat something, anything, as a group rather than as one. In the end, it is our QUIT, but involving others in das quitt will only assist you in times of need - it'll never hurt. Yeah, sometimes my wife brings up some of the bad stuff and rubs my nose in it (although I deserve it I get upset), but in times of need she is right there holding me up so I can beat down that fucking crave monster. I will need her more as the week progresses.

I’ve been having a lot of dip dreams recently (days 44-47). One over the weekend had me convinced that I caved and was back chewing again. I haven’t caved, but it was so intense and “real” that for a couple of hours on Sunday morning I was very confused. I hate these dreams; because in my opinion they are interfering with my QUIT by perpetuating the false desire or need for chewing tobacco. As I progress with my QUIT and the desire or want to chew lessens, it’s this dip dream that, all of a sudden out of nowhere, grazes my ball sack just ever so much to make my stomach ache for a dip again. I feel as though it’s a step back…this makes me very angry.

This shit sucks…I pray that my three boys will have the strength and courage to stand up and say “no” to those who offer them a pinch. I wasn’t strong enough, my weak ass said, “…sure, why not?” and 16 years later here I am in a whole world of shit.

A bright-side, the Reds are tied for first place in the NL Central and with Mike Leake (4-0, 2.91) on the mound tonight against the Pirates itÂ’s in the bag!!

I am saved by God's grace and I am quit through His strength, courage, and power.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Day 42-43

So, as I sit here on Day 43 pondering the weekend and my QUIT I find that life is much easier with das QUITTÂ…and with life as stressful and hectic as it is without dip, why I find it refreshing not to add more stress to my life with contemplating such classic dilemmas as:

•Do I have enough chew to last the weekend?
•Do I have a spitter for the car ride home?
•What will I do with my spitter when I get home?
•Where am I going to hide the chew this weekend, and do you think it’s a good enough place?
•Did I spend too much money on chew this week?

Obviously, there are others IÂ’m sure to have missed. These are five which came quickly to mind, those that are easy to remember because I cycled through them endlessly for many, many years.

I read a multitude of posts from June, July, and August forums today (slow day at work). I read one post which sparked my attention and it went a little something like this, “…I was a two can a day…” Wow, two cans a day!? It’s hard for me to comprehend how much more difficult his QUIT must be as compared to mine (i.e., my three-fourths can per day habit/addiction). I sit here on Day 43 and work through a couple craves, what must he be going through?

I read the letter from Jen Kern the other day and again today. If you havenÂ’t read up on the Kerns you should, it will get you straight and if it doesnÂ’t have an effect on you, you have no soul. Anyway, I tear-up every time I hit the parts where the kids are moving forward through life with their activities and Jenny adds how Tom would haveÂ…

And the part about how they are planning to have Tom’s high school and college friends come over and tell stories about him for the kids. She writes, “We all love to here stories about him.” This just breaks my heart every time. Jesus, this man was loved beyond belief by a lot of people and he cut his life so short because of this shit. You can just feel the love she has as she writes the hardest words; I don’t want this to be my wife. I don’t want to miss Drew’s (Ethan’s or Alex’s) first homerun, giving them a hug, or just being there for them.

IÂ’m QUIT motherfucker.
Excellent post !!

Congrats on you quit so far. Your mind is certainly in the right spot which helps tremendously.

STAY QUIT

Offline pioneer863

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Day 42-43

So, as I sit here on Day 43 pondering the weekend and my QUIT I find that life is much easier with das QUITTÂ…and with life as stressful and hectic as it is without dip, why I find it refreshing not to add more stress to my life with contemplating such classic dilemmas as:

•Where am I going to hide the chew this weekend, and do you think it’s a good enough place?

Obviously, there are others I’m sure to have missed.  These are five which came quickly to mind, those that are easy to remember because I cycled through them endlessly for many, many years.

I read a multitude of posts from June, July, and August forums today (slow day at work).  I read one post which sparked my attention and it went a little something like this, “…I was a two can a day…”  Wow, two cans a day!?  It’s hard for me to comprehend how much more difficult his QUIT must be as compared to mine (i.e., my three-fourths can per day habit/addiction).  I sit here on Day 43 and work through a couple craves, what must he be going through?

I read the letter from Jen Kern the other day and again today.  If you haven’t read up on the Kerns you should, it will get you straight and if it doesn’t have an effect on you, you have no soul.  Anyway, I tear-up every time I hit the parts where the kids are moving forward through life with their activities and Jenny adds how Tom would have…

And the part about how they are planning to have Tom’s high school and college friends come over and tell stories about him for the kids.  She writes, “We all love to here stories about him.”  This just breaks my heart every time.  Jesus, this man was loved beyond belief by a lot of people and he cut his life so short because of this shit.  You can just feel the love she has as she writes the hardest words; I don’t want this to be my wife.  I don’t want to miss Drew’s (Ethan’s or Alex’s) first homerun, giving them a hug, or just being there for them.

IÂ’m QUIT motherfucker.
Thanks for the post helps to keep me strong but im going nuts this is only day 2 'bang head' the hard part is I have been at day 40 many times and start back up again but this time I hope you and others stories will make the difference for me

Thank you

GO Reds

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
Day 42-43

Obviously, there are others IÂ’m sure to have missed. These are five which came quickly to mind, those that are easy to remember because I cycled through them endlessly for many, many years.

I read a multitude of posts from June, July, and August forums today (slow day at work). I read one post which sparked my attention and it went a little something like this, “…I was a two can a day…” Wow, two cans a day!? It’s hard for me to comprehend how much more difficult his QUIT must be as compared to mine (i.e., my three-fourths can per day habit/addiction). I sit here on Day 43 and work through a couple craves, what must he be going through?

I read the letter from Jen Kern the other day and again today. If you havenÂ’t read up on the Kerns you should, it will get you straight and if it doesnÂ’t have an effect on you, you have no soul. Anyway, I tear-up every time I hit the parts where the kids are moving forward through life with their activities and Jenny adds how Tom would haveÂ…

And the part about how they are planning to have Tom’s high school and college friends come over and tell stories about him for the kids. She writes, “We all love to here stories about him.” This just breaks my heart every time. Jesus, this man was loved beyond belief by a lot of people and he cut his life so short because of this shit. You can just feel the love she has as she writes the hardest words; I don’t want this to be my wife. I don’t want to miss Drew’s (Ethan’s or Alex’s) first homerun, giving them a hug, or just being there for them.

IÂ’m QUIT motherfucker.

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Days 31 - 41

First, let me reassure you guys that anything and everything going on in my mouth now has gone. I have regular dentist appointments, last February and my next check-up/cleaning is August.

For the most part I was trucking along on cruise control until yesterday, and today a little bit for that matter. The last few days I've been busy with the birth of my third son, Alex. He joins my other sons Andrew (4.5 years) and Ethan (22 months), we're all excited and overjoyed. For the majority of my wife's pregnancy I was looking forward to all the time I would have to chew while my wife was in the hospital. Thank God I quit when I did, because with the way the birth went down, I would have been a spectacular dickhead to my wife if I still chewed tobacco. That is, instead of helping my wife, supporting her, and being there for her (as I did) I would have been looking for opportunities to go and chew.

So last night was I was home alone, no wife or kids. I had the house to myself and oh boy, did the crave monster hit me long and hard. You know the drill, you know all the monster's lies; but I was strong. I fought that fucker off with a very large stick...my family, and more specifically my boys. If I can't say no for myself, I can certainly say no for them. I told myself, for the boys sake, just get through this next hour, then just get through the next hour, and hour by hour I re-committed myself; I posted roll in my mind each hour...promising myself I wouldn't cave. Finally, it was so late I fell asleep and no more cave monster.

It was a sober reminder that no matter how you feel you're progressing through your days; the cave monster can appear at anytime and fuck with das QUIT. Although I knew it would come, it was harder than I anticipated - my QUIT kept me strong, my disappointment with throwing away 40 days kept me stronger, and the thoughts of my three innocent boys without a father was the strongest and solidified my resolve. With tears in my eyes I literally yelled out, "FUCK YOU SKOAL, FUCK YOU! Never again will I be your slave." And went to bed.

Then today, another reminder that no matter what day you're on, that cave monster can fuck das Quit. Just visit August quitters and find the thread for jimnpedro. This person was member 180, over 1,300 posts, and a quit date of March 2007...this person posted a Day 1 today. Das Quit is fragile, das Quit shouldn't be complacent, das QUIT can be lost if you're not careful.

Offline ghost331

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »
I'm a troll

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Congrats on the 30. If you have not been to the dentist you need to go and get checked out. I sweated the visit to the dentist the entire 30 something days from when I quit until I actually went for the check up.

I woud wake up each morning and look at my mouth for something new, guess what I saw? Something new every day. Your mouth is changing/healing, your body is healing. Let the pros check you out and dont worry about what might be.

Good looking quit you have working here !!! Keep it going.

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Day 28 -30
Today is Day 30. Yes, one fucking month my friends. I can definitely say, with all honestly, I never would have gotten to day 30 without this site. And after one month of das Quitt, here is what I have to say...

At first, that is to say Day 1, I thought this site wasn't for me. I thought this site was to harsh to be effective. You see I have a Master's degree in Psychology, and although I do not actively practice therapy, I understand more than most; I understood from my experiences that this sort of website is harsh, hard-core, and very threatening to addicts coming to kick a destructive habit. But with that said, there's no way I would have made it this far without this site, these people, and the accountability (for some strange reason) I feel toward these people I do not know. Each morning I promised I wouldn't use...and each day I didn't. May be it was the promise I made; however it might be just the fact that I found others who are struggling just like me. I found others who are like me, know what I'm going through, know how I feel...etc. Actually, it's probably all of the above.

DAY 30 - Jesus, I can't believe it...wow. This is so awesome...I can't tell you how long it's been since I felt normal. Wait, I did...6,065 days. WOW - I'm not just saying this but it feels so, so very good to not be chewing tobacco. Not having to worry about do I have enough, when can I do it next, etc. Right now all I have to think about are my two boys and my gracious wife.

At the moment, I do have some concerns. I have a couple of sores in my mouth today and last night I had an aweful dream about getting oral cancer. I'll be tracking those sores, keep you informed, and let you know what's up. I hate that I've put myself in this situation...I hate that I've put my sons and wife in this situation...I hate this shit, I hate Skoal, and I hate people who create an addictive product that could eventually kill their customer. When you read that, does it seem right? Doesn't that seem fucked up?

Hey, I'm going to create an athletic drink, which is made of an addictive drug and over time kills you. Would anyone stand for that? Lets think about this for a moment...God damnit, think about this shit!! What kind of shit is this???? What kind of people work for these companies? What the FUCK people!?!?!?!?!

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Day 23 – 27   
Nothing very interestingÂ…my throat doesnÂ’t hurt anymore which is very good news. My cravings are subsiding, little by little, with each day that comes and goes. Before this endeavor I couldnÂ’t imagine myself even quit; now I canÂ’t believe that not only am I quit 27 days but at some point there wonÂ’t be even a smidge of a craving. Sweet!

Although, Days 23  24 I did have a mini-battle in my head about getting some Skoal. I was left with opportunity and means those two days; I stayed strong and I remain strong through the power of Christ and His word. I prayed and God revealed to me that I've been strong for 23/24 days and if I stayed strong for 10-15 more minutes the cravings would truly subside. What's 15 minutes between 24 days? Easy I say, easy...

So, if you feel that little pull toward the bad stuff, just remember what you have accomplished these days of quit and don't let 10-15 minutes of bullshit ruin that!! Stay vigilant my friends; stay QUIT!