Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 1285 times)

Offline jmiah

• Quitter
  • Interests: Baseball, hiking, working out (usually), my wife, and my awesome dog, Gunner.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hi All
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Quote from: Healthy-New-Me
Hi all.

I have been smoking on and off for 24 years. I have tried to quit more times than I can count. I tried quitting with the patch, with Welbutrin, with Chantix, going cold turkey and nothing has worked for me for the "long haul".

Many years ago, I quit while pregnant only to begin again within a week or two of having my kids. After that, I quit multiple times but it only lasts a week to about six weeks. Currently, I have been smoking on and off for the last three years, sometimes off for weeks and then sure enough, I'm back at it.

My most recent quit was October 25, 2010. I quit cold turkey and on my own and went 19 weeks (131 days) and then I had a family crisis and I went back to smoking. Now five months later, my family is under control but my smoking is not. IÂ’m hooked again and this time I want to quit and stay quit. At that time, I was very proud of my accomplishment, felt good and thought I had it beat. Now that I'm using nicotine again, I know how addictive it can be and that it will be something I will always struggle with but I have to start sometime.

IÂ’m tired of being a slave to nicotine. IÂ’m scared of what it is doing to my health and my body. IÂ’m struggling right now because IÂ’m scared of the quit but at the same time, IÂ’m scared to smoke as well. I want to be around to enjoy my kids and family. When IÂ’m smoking, I hate it and just want to be done but when IÂ’m not smoking, all I can do is think about it and then the mind games get me every time and I start rationalizing it and before long I cave. This time itÂ’s for good.

I am QUIT.
I realized I never posted an intro here on KTC so I carried this intro over from Whack the Pack which I posted when I originally joined both of these groups.
Welcome, whatever works to stay quit. If you have to be on both forums...that is great. Glad to be quit with you today.
candor dat viribus alas
Sincerity gives wings to strength.

Offline Pitcher7

• Interests: Baseball coach, ex player. Stock market. Films.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
New to this. Still trying to figure out roll call. This is the one time in life it is ok to be a quitter.

Offline magnum9

• Quit Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Very very sorry to hear about this. Pray for the best is all we can do some times.

You are right that the addict mind is insane. My uncles girlfriend has cancer that has spread to several parts of her body including the lungs. But she still sneaks around and tries to do the ninja smoking thing. The power of justification is incredible.

I know you will never relax until you get the all clear but you have to be positive either way.

Offline Timeless117

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Interests: You and only you.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Healthy. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. Luckily they found it early. Had to remove one breast, but she only had to go through radiation instead of doing chemo. It sucked at first, but she's good to go now.
I told myself that it was going to get me to quit. Well I was right, but it took over 6 months. Hope things turn out the best for you.
Day 1: 09/12/2011
HOF: 12/20/2011
1 year: 09/11/2012

HOF Speech: Day 100, Just another day in the life of Timeless

Now, like all great plans, my strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it.

Proud member of the Brotherhood of Men on Planet Earth

Offline Healthy-New-Me

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
So I decided as long as I'm trying to be "Healthy New Me" I should carry it over into all areas of my life so on that train of thought, I scheduled a physical and a mammogram. Well who would of thought it but apparently I was three years overdue for both. So the day after my mammogram I was called back for a repeat "intense, more focal" mammogram and an ultrasound. (Let me just tell you that an "intense, more focal" mammogram hurts like a f'g son of a bitch). Well almost immediately after that mammogram my doctor called me to inform me that they now want to do an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy.

So of course what's the first thing on my mind for the next 3-4 days other than the fact that I may have breast cancer, yep, you got it, I want a cigarette. Now who in their right, sane mind would crave a cigarette while spending a week or so being tested for cancer. Yes, that's how strong an addiction nicotine can have over us/me.

I honestly believe that if I were smoking at the very moment that someone said you have lung cancer, I would be like "oh that's bad, let me just finish this pack first".

Addiction SUCKS but I will beat this.
Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! --Betty White

Offline Healthy-New-Me

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Hi all.

I have been smoking on and off for 24 years. I have tried to quit more times than I can count. I tried quitting with the patch, with Welbutrin, with Chantix, going cold turkey and nothing has worked for me for the "long haul".

Many years ago, I quit while pregnant only to begin again within a week or two of having my kids. After that, I quit multiple times but it only lasts a week to about six weeks. Currently, I have been smoking on and off for the last three years, sometimes off for weeks and then sure enough, I'm back at it.

My most recent quit was October 25, 2010. I quit cold turkey and on my own and went 19 weeks (131 days) and then I had a family crisis and I went back to smoking. Now five months later, my family is under control but my smoking is not. IÂ’m hooked again and this time I want to quit and stay quit. At that time, I was very proud of my accomplishment, felt good and thought I had it beat. Now that I'm using nicotine again, I know how addictive it can be and that it will be something I will always struggle with but I have to start sometime.

IÂ’m tired of being a slave to nicotine. IÂ’m scared of what it is doing to my health and my body. IÂ’m struggling right now because IÂ’m scared of the quit but at the same time, IÂ’m scared to smoke as well. I want to be around to enjoy my kids and family. When IÂ’m smoking, I hate it and just want to be done but when IÂ’m not smoking, all I can do is think about it and then the mind games get me every time and I start rationalizing it and before long I cave. This time itÂ’s for good.

I am QUIT.
I realized I never posted an intro here on KTC so I carried this intro over from Whack the Pack which I posted when I originally joined both of these groups.
Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! --Betty White

Offline Healthy-New-Me

• Quitter
Hi All
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Hi all.

I am QUIT.