Author Topic: Day 196  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Day 196
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Quote from: teamgreen
Quote from: thorntn
I have dipped for 33 years until 196 days ago.  I decided to quit after being scared everytime I would find a new sore in my mouth.  My wife also has a neice that works as a physical therapist.  She told of one of her patients that had a son with his face gone because of dipping.  She said he looked like a monster because they had to take muscle tissue from his legs and reconstruct his face.  She also told that he had hair growing inside his mouth and could not eat solid food.  His wife left him and his kids would not have anything to do with him. I have a 7 year old son and this was enough to get me started stopping.  I started by easing off then going to patches and prayers to get me through. I thank God that he allowed me me live to this point and time.  The reason I looked for this site is I still have bad cravings from time to time.  I almost talked myself into dipping again yesterday after I was laid off from my job Friday.  It seems every time I get stressed dip is the first thing I turn too.  Do any of you vets out there have any suggestions for beating stress????  Thanks!!  I really enjoy the stories, it all sounds like what I have been through myself.  TNT
Welcome Thorntn. If you want to stay quit you're in the right place. Read all the info that Ready just sent you, and then read everything else.

Exercise is a great way to deal with stress, but everyone has their own methods. The most important thing is to remember that nicotine DOES NOT relieve stress. The only thing it relieves are the symptoms of nicotine addiction.

We may need a little clarification. Are you still on patches? If not, how long have you been COMPLETELY off any form of nicotine, including patches and other NRTs? For one, we'd need to know this to know what group you are in, but more importantly, your body can't begin to heal itself from the addiction until you completely stop feeding it the drug.

Once we figure out your group, quit with your brothers daily, and post up and read here. I learn something here almost every day, it seems, that makes my quit both stronger and easier.

Sorry about your job, bro, and I hope you can turn that around quickly. But your life and your health are more important, and breaking down and sticking poison in your mouth will do nothing to remedy that.

I'm quit with you today. Let's finish it up and do it again tomorrow.
Th,
The more you read on here the more you will find there are multiple ways to deal with stress. Early in my quit I made it through the craves and anxiety by mediation. Around day 60 or so I started getting off my dead ass and walking with my daughter in the evening. That has turned into me working out 6 nights a week now.

Getting your heart rate up for 30 minutes or so will kick a crave in the ass and will also knock out anxiety, plus you will feel better.

If working out is not your gig you can always hit the boards and get into the discussions, bitch, rant, whatever. Keeping you mind busy helps a ton.

Welcome to the site. My math has you at 132 days totally nic free. You may want to check that. I may have counted my big toe two times on the second count. Either way that would put you in the May 2010 HOF class...

Click here: May 2010

Get in your group and get to know your brothers. Get some phone numbers and get involved. Congrats on the quit so far. Keep it going....

Offline thorntn

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
I STARTED THE PATCHES ON 11-30-09 AND USED THEM PER DIRECTIONS. I BELIEVE IT WAS A 2 MONTH TOTAL SO MY ACTUAL NO-NICOTINE QUIT DAY WOULD BE ~02-01-10. THANKS!!

Offline teamgreen

• Quitter
  • Interests: Kicking the nic bitch in the taint.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
I have dipped for 33 years until 196 days ago. I decided to quit after being scared everytime I would find a new sore in my mouth. My wife also has a neice that works as a physical therapist. She told of one of her patients that had a son with his face gone because of dipping. She said he looked like a monster because they had to take muscle tissue from his legs and reconstruct his face. She also told that he had hair growing inside his mouth and could not eat solid food. His wife left him and his kids would not have anything to do with him. I have a 7 year old son and this was enough to get me started stopping. I started by easing off then going to patches and prayers to get me through. I thank God that he allowed me me live to this point and time. The reason I looked for this site is I still have bad cravings from time to time. I almost talked myself into dipping again yesterday after I was laid off from my job Friday. It seems every time I get stressed dip is the first thing I turn too. Do any of you vets out there have any suggestions for beating stress???? Thanks!! I really enjoy the stories, it all sounds like what I have been through myself. TNT
Welcome Thorntn. If you want to stay quit you're in the right place. Read all the info that Ready just sent you, and then read everything else.

Exercise is a great way to deal with stress, but everyone has their own methods. The most important thing is to remember that nicotine DOES NOT relieve stress. The only thing it relieves are the symptoms of nicotine addiction.

We may need a little clarification. Are you still on patches? If not, how long have you been COMPLETELY off any form of nicotine, including patches and other NRTs? For one, we'd need to know this to know what group you are in, but more importantly, your body can't begin to heal itself from the addiction until you completely stop feeding it the drug.

Once we figure out your group, quit with your brothers daily, and post up and read here. I learn something here almost every day, it seems, that makes my quit both stronger and easier.

Sorry about your job, bro, and I hope you can turn that around quickly. But your life and your health are more important, and breaking down and sticking poison in your mouth will do nothing to remedy that.

I'm quit with you today. Let's finish it up and do it again tomorrow.

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
I have dipped for 33 years until 196 days ago. I decided to quit after being scared everytime I would find a new sore in my mouth. My wife also has a neice that works as a physical therapist. She told of one of her patients that had a son with his face gone because of dipping. She said he looked like a monster because they had to take muscle tissue from his legs and reconstruct his face. She also told that he had hair growing inside his mouth and could not eat solid food. His wife left him and his kids would not have anything to do with him. I have a 7 year old son and this was enough to get me started stopping. I started by easing off then going to patches and prayers to get me through. I thank God that he allowed me me live to this point and time. The reason I looked for this site is I still have bad cravings from time to time. I almost talked myself into dipping again yesterday after I was laid off from my job Friday. It seems every time I get stressed dip is the first thing I turn too. Do any of you vets out there have any suggestions for beating stress???? Thanks!! I really enjoy the stories, it all sounds like what I have been through myself. TNT
Welcome. Check your (Inbox 1) upper right corner of your screen.

Offline thorntn

Day 196
« on: June 13, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »