Author Topic: How long does it take to be nicotine free?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Timeless117

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Interests: You and only you.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How long does it take to be nicotine free?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
Hey man, good job on quitting. I stopped around when you did for the most part. Picked up dipping at 16 and now 2 or 3 days into it. Depending how you look at it being a new day that its aftermidnight of my 2nd day.
My stomach is killing me, I've gotten sick left and right tonight. I'm sleeping on my bathroom floor tonight or at least trying to. Didn't seem so bad this afternoon or early evening.
No matter how bad, sick, depressed I feel right now, its better than risking cancer for a false feeling of good.
I've wrote this in a few threads now, so I'm sure its a repeat for people and getting annoying, but I do what I can do. I know nobody in my new town, so this forum is all I have right now.
Day 1: 09/12/2011
HOF: 12/20/2011
1 year: 09/11/2012

HOF Speech: Day 100, Just another day in the life of Timeless

Now, like all great plans, my strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it.

Proud member of the Brotherhood of Men on Planet Earth

Offline SamCat!!!

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2009-07-27
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Quote from: php111
Quote from: NKT
Quote from: Gump
Thank you everyone for the replies. I understand that they have fake dip on the market? I live in Bethlehem, PA. Where can I find it? What am I asking for? Does it really work?
Not in Bethlehem, PA. It's part of a union there, and it doesn't really work nearly as much as you pay for it.

Just post your roll every day and embrace the SUCK. It'll pass soon enough.
You'll get a broad range of opinions on the fake chew: some swear by it and some claim it will lead you back to dipping tobacco.

I'm part of the 'swear by it' crowd. I used it for the first 200 days, and then the habit just seemed to evaporate overnight without any real effort to quit. The way I look at it: the only good thing dipping did for me was produce a psychological trigger (putting a pinch of shredded stuff in my mouth = feeling good) that I could use to help me break free of nicotine.

There are a bunch of brands of fake stuff available to order over the internet. Just google 'non-tobacco chew'. You can find reviews of some brands here. I just asked the owner of the quickie-mart where I used to buy cope to start carrying the non-tobacco chew; he was able get some on the shelf the next day.

You don't need to buy it in a can for it to be a good placebo. I found a variety of stuff around the house that worked for me: shredded coconut, carrots chewed up really fine, dried beef shredded in a food processor, loose green tea, tea bags, dried alfalfa, and apricot pits.

If you think it may help you, give it a try. If you feel that it's helping, keep it up. If you feel that it induces cravings for you, stop. The really important thing is keeping nicotine out of your body today.
I'm not a smoker. I do know of a few people that smoked, and they quit. One of my uncles use to smoke. They all didn't say anything about a desire/urged to smoke. They never said anything about the mental games. Why doesn't smoking get them signs, but dipping gets those signs?
Both my wife and dad quit smoking. They both reported the usual nic recovery story: a few days of really intense withdrawals and cravings, a few weeks of "fog" and inability to think straight, and a good half a year before they really felt right.

Nic is nic; whether you smoke, dip, chew, sniff it up your nose, or use it in suppository form it has the potential to be a hell of an addiction to beat. I think the relapse rate for people quitting nicotine (mostly smokers) is around 75% within the first year. Maybe the people you're referring to just chose to not talk about the hell they were going through. Have you actually asked them about it, or are you assuming that 'silence' equals 'no problems'?
I was just assuming. They told me they quit using TNR, but they didn't say anything else.
Huge Congrats on your Day 2 Quit!!! Best decision you'll make today!!! I can tell you as an ex-smoker of 10 years that we do go through the same patterns of Withdrawels and funk cycles as a dipper would, pretty much. No matter which delivery method you chose...Nic is Nic!!! You can get through today...keep reading, stay involved and Keep your word!! Drink tons of water and exercise..this will flush the poison out of your body that much quicker!!! Protect your Quit at all Cost!!! Make posting roll the VERY FIRST THING you do in the morning and take Caving off of the Table!!!
My HOF Speech...
My Intro page...

Thanks for visiting The CatHouse!!!

Offline php111

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies. I understand that they have fake dip on the market? I live in Bethlehem, PA. Where can I find it? What am I asking for? Does it really work?
Not in Bethlehem, PA. It's part of a union there, and it doesn't really work nearly as much as you pay for it.

You'll get a broad range of opinions on the fake chew: some swear by it and some claim it will lead you back to dipping tobacco.

I'm part of the 'swear by it' crowd. I used it for the first 200 days, and then the habit just seemed to evaporate overnight without any real effort to quit. The way I look at it: the only good thing dipping did for me was produce a psychological trigger (putting a pinch of shredded stuff in my mouth = feeling good) that I could use to help me break free of nicotine.

There are a bunch of brands of fake stuff available to order over the internet. Just google 'non-tobacco chew'. You can find reviews of some brands here. I just asked the owner of the quickie-mart where I used to buy cope to start carrying the non-tobacco chew; he was able get some on the shelf the next day.

You don't need to buy it in a can for it to be a good placebo. I found a variety of stuff around the house that worked for me: shredded coconut, carrots chewed up really fine, dried beef shredded in a food processor, loose green tea, tea bags, dried alfalfa, and apricot pits.

If you think it may help you, give it a try. If you feel that it's helping, keep it up. If you feel that it induces cravings for you, stop. The really important thing is keeping nicotine out of your body today.
I'm not a smoker. I do know of a few people that smoked, and they quit. One of my uncles use to smoke. They all didn't say anything about a desire/urged to smoke. They never said anything about the mental games. Why doesn't smoking get them signs, but dipping gets those signs?
Both my wife and dad quit smoking. They both reported the usual nic recovery story: a few days of really intense withdrawals and cravings, a few weeks of "fog" and inability to think straight, and a good half a year before they really felt right.

Nic is nic; whether you smoke, dip, chew, sniff it up your nose, or use it in suppository form it has the potential to be a hell of an addiction to beat. I think the relapse rate for people quitting nicotine (mostly smokers) is around 75% within the first year. Maybe the people you're referring to just chose to not talk about the hell they were going through. Have you actually asked them about it, or are you assuming that 'silence' equals 'no problems'?
I was just assuming. They told me they quit using TNR, but they didn't say anything else.

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »

Offline php111

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »

I will agree with NKT on the using fake. If it helps you calm down triggers and gets you through a crave then go for it. I used it like it was my job for 250ish days, then I just stopped using it. If you talk to the guys that used fake you will see a similar story from all of them... just stopped one day.

As for other things to put in your mouth: I used candy of all sorts, atomic fire balls rocked but pretty much any candy. Seeds, gum, jerky. I also dipped tea leaves for awhile. I am also a big fan of putting boobs in my mouth but I found it hard to work or concentrate so I had to find an alternative....

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline Gump

• Quitter
    • framedartexpert.com
  • Interests: my daughterquittingwinningbusinessrock climbingbodybuildingguitarscubasnowboardingtheaterlive bandsdead bandspretty much anything in naturenot having nature invite itself into my househelping other people to quit nicotineAtlanta Picture Framer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »

"Stupid is as stupid does"

Quit nicotine 9/1/09

Framed Art Expert

Offline php111

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Quote from: gladitsnotheroine
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum. Did I make my thread in the right place? Just recently I constantly kept thinking about quitting, so earlier I just stopped chewing, and I threw it away. My stomach couldn't handle it anymore after 11 years. It's weak and in pain. My stomach is. How long will everything take to drain out of my system?
The nicotine will be gone after 72 hours. After that its all a mental game between you and nicotina. You're in the right spot to quit though. Click on the pink welcome center tab in the top left to get started. We post roll here, and your quit group will be December. Posting roll in your group is your promise to the other quiters here that you will not use nicotine of any form that day. Don't think about forever, post roll first thing everyday and keep your promise for that day. The next morning do the same all over again. The best advice I got at the start of my quit was to quit for today. Exchange numbers with a few fellow quitters. They will hold you accountable and you them. Have a plan for when the nic bitch creeps up on you, and trust me she will. I'm 36 days quit, and if I can do it anyone can.
Thank you so much for the info. I have another question? Does the mental game between me and nicotine takes a very long time, or is it very short?
I need to add one thing to what Wastepanel wrote.

He told you the mental game will continue for the rest of your life. He didn't say why.

The reason that the game will go on for the rest of your life is because you're a nicotine addict.

You have stopped using nicotine, and I'm really happy for you, but you will always be a nicotine addict.

So will I. So will Wastepanel, and everyone else at KTC.

BUT, once the nicotine is out of your system, and you've eliminated the habit of putting the shit in your mouth all the time, you'll get over the withdrawal and life will be much much better. You have to go through the SUCK to get there though.

That's why he said, we do this one day at a time. Tomorrow, promise us you won't use nicotine in any form, just for tomorrow. And every addict here will make you the same promise, that we won't use nicotine tomorrow. Every roll post is a promise not to use nicotine for that day. Then we come back and make the same promise the next day. That's how it works.

We WILL demand that you keep your promise, and you may see someone absolutely skinned alive if they ever fail to keep their promise to us. But for a person who keeps that promise, you'll find more support on KTC than you ever dreamed possible.

From one addict to another, Welcome.
For me, the really brutal cravings were gone after the first couple of months. At that point my worst cravings were far less intense than my first-thing-in-the-morning cravings when I was using.

After about six months, cravings were very infrequent; maybe one every few days, and those were easy to shrug off.

Now, coming up on 1000 days, the worst I get is a dip dream every few months. They aren't pleasant dreams either, just expressions of anxiety from elsewhere in my life expressed by my subconscious in the form of "how the hell did I end up with this shit in my mouth?". The rest of the time, I really don't even think about it.
BUT, once the nicotine is out of your system, and you've eliminated the habit of putting the shit in your mouth all the time, you'll get over the withdrawal and life will be much much better. You have to go through the SUCK to get there though.

Gump had a lot of good stuff in his post; I just wanted to expand on this one a bit. When I was going through the suck, I read stuff like this as "it will get much better (than the suck you're going through now). The reality was "it will get much better (than it ever was while you were on nicotine).

Getting there is really simple: post roll first thing in the morning, keep your promise and keep the shit out of your mouth today, then come back tomorrow and do it again. The fight against your addiction is never really over, but it does get to the point where it's laughably easy and you don't even have to give it a second thought.

Offline Gump

• Quitter
    • framedartexpert.com
  • Interests: my daughterquittingwinningbusinessrock climbingbodybuildingguitarscubasnowboardingtheaterlive bandsdead bandspretty much anything in naturenot having nature invite itself into my househelping other people to quit nicotineAtlanta Picture Framer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum. Did I make my thread in the right place? Just recently I constantly kept thinking about quitting, so earlier I just stopped chewing, and I threw it away. My stomach couldn't handle it anymore after 11 years. It's weak and in pain. My stomach is. How long will everything take to drain out of my system?
The nicotine will be gone after 72 hours. After that its all a mental game between you and nicotina. You're in the right spot to quit though. Click on the pink welcome center tab in the top left to get started. We post roll here, and your quit group will be December. Posting roll in your group is your promise to the other quiters here that you will not use nicotine of any form that day. Don't think about forever, post roll first thing everyday and keep your promise for that day. The next morning do the same all over again. The best advice I got at the start of my quit was to quit for today. Exchange numbers with a few fellow quitters. They will hold you accountable and you them. Have a plan for when the nic bitch creeps up on you, and trust me she will. I'm 36 days quit, and if I can do it anyone can.
Thank you so much for the info. I have another question? Does the mental game between me and nicotine takes a very long time, or is it very short?
I need to add one thing to what Wastepanel wrote.

He told you the mental game will continue for the rest of your life. He didn't say why.

The reason that the game will go on for the rest of your life is because you're a nicotine addict.

You have stopped using nicotine, and I'm really happy for you, but you will always be a nicotine addict.

So will I. So will Wastepanel, and everyone else at KTC.

That's why he said, we do this one day at a time. Tomorrow, promise us you won't use nicotine in any form, just for tomorrow. And every addict here will make you the same promise, that we won't use nicotine tomorrow. Every roll post is a promise not to use nicotine for that day. Then we come back and make the same promise the next day. That's how it works.

We WILL demand that you keep your promise, and you may see someone absolutely skinned alive if they ever fail to keep their promise to us. But for a person who keeps that promise, you'll find more support on KTC than you ever dreamed possible.

From one addict to another, Welcome.
"Stupid is as stupid does"

Quit nicotine 9/1/09

Framed Art Expert

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

The mental game will continue the rest of your life.

But don't get ahead of yourself. Tomorrow will be day 2 for you. You will be punchy by the end of the day, anger will overcome You. And you will want to rip your bead off to stop the pain.

But it is worth it.

You need to remember this time so you never return to the clutches of the nic bitch. We call it "embracing the suck". We encourage you to read, read, and read some more the content on this website. Start posting in your group. December has some great quitters that will embrace you. Remember, they are dealing with the same crap you are going through and we all understand how difficult this is.

I would suggest drinking lots of water and avoiding caffeine and alcohol for a little while (you'll be jittery enough without the stimulant and alcohol leads to nicotine). Post roll early. Get some numbers from some quitters. Have fun in chat.

Good quitting bud!!!!
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline php111

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

Offline gladitsnotheroine

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

Reading KTC and Rocking to DBT!

Quit date 08/05/2011

Offline php111

How long does it take to be nicotine free?
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Hey everyone,