Author Topic: I think I got lucky  (Read 1126 times)

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: I think I got lucky
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Roll call is the most important thing you can do here. By signing it, you have giving your daily promise to that group and the entire website that you will be nicotine free for that day......stay quit for 24 hours and repeat. Your word and integrity is about all you have here.

The men and women in your quit group are at the same point in their quits as you are, lean on these people, they will be your lifeline. Other than that, post roll early, everyday and get involved.

Congrats on your decision.

Offline dirkdippington

• Quitter
  • Interests: Kitesurfing, Flying, Diving, Boomsticks
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Thanks Gents.

After 6 days I'm feeling pretty good. No fog and I'm able to focus pretty well with minor headaches that come and go.

Bought gas at the pump and used a gas station I know doesn't have my precious Griz Wintergreen. Paid more for the gas but fuck it.

Whether I did it for myself or not is an interesting question. To be honest I enjoyed the dip but I did it for the people that rely on me and care about my sorry ass. That reason is good enough for me.

Question: How do the quit groups work? I see that we would join March 2011 if we stopped in Nov. What are the lists of people that are presented on a daily basis? Do the people on the list do anything to confirm that they are still not using?

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
Quote from: dirkdippington
I think that I was lucky because my quitting this time was not really a choice.

My previous attempts at quitting failed and I've been dipping for a little over 3 years.

This time round came with the onset of a really bad flu during Thanksgiving that had me shunning food and dip. The experience consisted of a few days of continued loss of hunger and an aversion to dip due to the flu symptoms.

So I'm 5 days out of it and thinking I can keep going if not only for the reason that I would not want to repeat what I went through or consider that all that pain experienced with flu symptoms, withdrawal headaches, etc would have been a waste if I picked up another can.

No more hiding it from the girlfriend is another huge benefit.
Bottom line is you're 5 days Quit so keep it rolling. You're physical withdrawals were masked by the flu which can be good and bad. The nicotine is out of your system, now it's the mental hurdles.
You've only been dipping for 3 years, that can turn to a couple of decades real fucking quick.
You're doing the right thing, stay with it, we are here to help you and ourselves.

PM me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Brian

Offline Capt Kylos

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-11-28
  • Interests: 2nd Dan Black Belt ITF Taekwondo, Judo, Krav Maga,Jujitsu, fishing, single malt scotch and craft beer.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Take control now....don't let 3 years become thirty.
Chew is for the weak, the ignorant, the stupid.....don't be stupid. Not stupid as of 11/28/10
Before you cave read this http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?showtopic=4938
Acting with almost as much speed as cyanide, nicotine is well
established as one of the most toxic drugs known. In humans,
60mg (a drop) is a lethal dose, and death follows intake within a few minutes. Dr. Charles Ksir

Mouth cancer kills
one American every hour.

Stay Quit...it's life or death.....
Don't Cave

Offline CrazyHorse

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Quote from: dirkdippington

My previous attempts at quitting failed and I've been dipping for a little over 3 years.

This time round came with the onset of a really bad flu during Thanksgiving that had me shunning food and dip. The experience consisted of a few days of continued loss of hunger and an aversion to dip due to the flu symptoms.

So I'm 5 days out of it and thinking I can keep going if not only for the reason that I would not want to repeat what I went through or consider that all that pain experienced with flu symptoms, withdrawal headaches, etc would have been a waste if I picked up another can.

Some guys on here are gonna hound you pretty good for the flu and girlfriend being your reason to quit rather than you quitting for yourself. They are right, but it sounds like you want to quit for yourself or else you could have started back up after you got over the flu. You should DEFINITELY run with the 5 days you have under your belt and never dip again. The worst part of my quit, and most peoples' quits is the first 72 hours (the fog/suck) while the nicotine is still in your system but being drained out. You were lucky that your fog was masked by flu symptoms. Stay with it. There will be others responding to you very soon with all the links and info you need to get started. In the meantime, click around the site for a couple hours and start reading. Starting with the home page.

Offline dirkdippington

• Quitter
  • Interests: Kitesurfing, Flying, Diving, Boomsticks
I think I got lucky
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »