Author Topic: It Has to Be You.  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Sacksyboy

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 03-18-2016
  • Likes Given: 7
It Has to Be You.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Born and raised in the Washington D.C. suburbs. Strong family, older brother and a younger brother. Parents married 30 years.

Turning 25 in April. Played baseball my whole life, including college ball. Married my high school sweetheart last June.

I am a Financial Planner, wife is a school teacher.

I had dipped since I was 15. I was always a really good baseball player and consequently I played on teams 2-3 years older than I was for most of my life. This meant when all the kids were turning 18 and legally allowed to buy dip, chaw, chew, snuff, or my all-time favorite, "chow-tow"--I was a skinny impressionable 15 year old. When the cans got passed around the bench and stopped at me, do I pass it on by? No, like a moron I want to fit in and I take some.

The rest as they say is history.. Almost a full decade of escalating use. Hiding it entirely from most, and lying about the frequency of use to the rest. I knew the stuff was bad for me, everyone does, problem was--I liked it. I enjoyed running out onto the field on a sunny day to shag fly balls and throwing a chaw-dog in. I loved turning on a movie in my college dorm with some ball players and putting a lip in. Post-meal dip? Don't mind if I do. 6 hour bus-ride for games? Kill a tin each way. I dipped anything. Pouches, flavors, brands, cuts, anything. Eventually I moved mostly to Skoal Mint pouches and would routinely throw 5 or 6 pouches in at a time. Killed 2 tins a day easy.

I have stopped dipping cold turkey for 11 weeks off of a bet with a professor simply to prove I could stop whenever I wanted. I have had the occasional scare with a sore or stopped a week before the dentist. People would tell me all the time I should quit, and I always told them I would. When I go to College. When I graduate and stop playing ball. When I marry my fiance. Always pushing it off.

Recently I realized I don't enjoy it anymore. Its disgusting. Its unhealthy. Its dishonest. Its expensive. Its a master.

After that realization that I don't like it anymore, almost like a light switch the severity of my addiction really hit me hard. I needed to make the decision. I finally wanted to quit with every fiber of my being. No longer was any of it due to pressure, outside opinions, or stupid bets with professors. This was all me. I wanted it. I threw away the tin and a half that I had left. I made a run for some gum, mints, and jolly ranchers--told a few close friends and family--and I quit.

Every day the last 5 days I have thought about dip, and then I have remade the decision to quit. It has sucked but in another way I am as excited about this as virtually anything else I've ever done in my entire life.

Working on Day 5 with y'all today. Praying for the guys and gals on this site.

Josh

Offline jpetmpls

• Quitter
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 01.12.15
  • Interests: Hockey, motorcycles, bar/restaurant business, marathons, trail running. Ingested nicotine profusely in many forms for nearly 22 years
Re: Important Question/Thought for KTC Community
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
Quote from: Cope30
Quote from: MonsterEMT
Quote from: SacksJM1
Quote from: mattlock
Quote from: RDB1972
I'm also a noob.

I had the exact same thought maybe a month ago (now 68 days quit). There was a dude in line behind me who bought a can of Cope. I thought I should say something to him (I didn't), or I wished I had a card I could just hand him.

The cards wouldn't necessarily have to be "official" or "KTC sanctioned". All you need is some sheets of card stock, MS Word/Publisher/even Power Point would work (or the Corel suite), a printer, and a paper cutter. Or you can buy pre-perforated card stock.

Type out the URL, and a brief description, and something like "You know you want to quit. Here's the support you've been looking for".

Fortunately "Kill the Can" is fairly self descriptive, especially when the stranger either has a fatty in, or is buying a can.

Again, I was too lazy to actually follow through and do it.

I also believe that anyone who is more than about five years (or less?) removed from the beginning of their addiction wants to quit.
I think it's a great idea. There's actually a bunch of places you can get business cards made up pretty cheap, I think Vistaprint offers like 500 for 10 bucks or something. All you would have to do is the initial design template then save it on a dropbox. Anyone who wants their own cards can then just grab the template, upload to wherever they want to get them printed and pay for it themself.
I just really thought it would be a good idea but wasn't exactly sure how to move on it. Wasn't sure if the Admins would want to handle it, or if they have thought about it and have reasons why they don't want to?

Not sure, just wanted to post it up and see what people thought.
This idea has been kicked around numerous times. There actually used to be a template somewhere (where, exactly, I don't know) for just such a thing.

It's encouraging to see new quitters take such a vested interest and want to bring others to freedom.
I think it's a wonderful idea! Make em, I'll buy some and pass them out in my neck of the woods.
I would have generic downloadable file that people can print at their own expense/manner. In addition, I would include your username and encourage the recipient to reach out when they do make the move. Probably would be more likely to do so knowing they already have a connection.

Offline Cope30

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-08-16
  • Interests: Hunting and Fishing!http://forum.killthecan.org/topic/11504909/
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
Quote from: MonsterEMT
I'm also a noob.

I had the exact same thought maybe a month ago (now 68 days quit). There was a dude in line behind me who bought a can of Cope. I thought I should say something to him (I didn't), or I wished I had a card I could just hand him.

The cards wouldn't necessarily have to be "official" or "KTC sanctioned". All you need is some sheets of card stock, MS Word/Publisher/even Power Point would work (or the Corel suite), a printer, and a paper cutter. Or you can buy pre-perforated card stock.

Type out the URL, and a brief description, and something like "You know you want to quit. Here's the support you've been looking for".

Fortunately "Kill the Can" is fairly self descriptive, especially when the stranger either has a fatty in, or is buying a can.

I also believe that anyone who is more than about five years (or less?) removed from the beginning of their addiction wants to quit.
I think it's a great idea. There's actually a bunch of places you can get business cards made up pretty cheap, I think Vistaprint offers like 500 for 10 bucks or something. All you would have to do is the initial design template then save it on a dropbox. Anyone who wants their own cards can then just grab the template, upload to wherever they want to get them printed and pay for it themself.
I just really thought it would be a good idea but wasn't exactly sure how to move on it. Wasn't sure if the Admins would want to handle it, or if they have thought about it and have reasons why they don't want to?

This idea has been kicked around numerous times. There actually used to be a template somewhere (where, exactly, I don't know) for just such a thing.

It's encouraging to see new quitters take such a vested interest and want to bring others to freedom.
I think it's a wonderful idea! Make em, I'll buy some and pass them out in my neck of the woods.
2 Timothy 1:7 - For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

HOF 11/24/15 Zombroski Nymphos
1st Floor 11-24-15
2nd Floor 3-3-16
3rd Floor 6-11-16
4th Floor 9-19-16
5th Floor 12-27-16
6th Floor 4-7-17

http://forum.killthecan.org/topic/11504909/

http://www.panicend.com/de.html

Offline MonsterMedic

• Master of Quit
  • Proud member of the June 2014 Quit Saloon
  • Quit Date: 03.02.14
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
I'm also a noob.

"Frank Pierce: Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world." - Bringing Out The Dead

Quit Date: 03-02-2014
HOF: 06-09-2014
3K and counting

Offline Sacksyboy

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
I'm also a noob.

Offline mattlock

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-03-13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
I'm also a noob.

Unlike quitting products, total adherence to a personal commitment to not violate the law of addiction provides a 100% guarantee of success. Although obedience may not always be easy, the law is clear, concise and simple - no nicotine today, not one puff, dip or chew!

HOF Speech

1st floor 06/20/2016
2nd floor 09/30/2016

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
I'm also a noob.

Offline Sacksyboy

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
It Has to Be You.
« on: March 29, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
I was on the metro in DC on Friday when I saw something and had a thought that I canÂ’t shake.

There was a guy (35ish), sitting with 3 young kids and his wife. They were clearly tourists--not hard to tell. The kids were excited. Probably not often on a metro, they were staring out the window. Then I saw something.

Guy had a lip in. From the moment I saw that, I watched him like a hawk. I don’t know why but I just instantly became sad. I was just watching his facial expressions, his interactions with the kids. He never said a word, had a travel mug for “coffee” that he spit into twice over the course of about 15 minutes.

At one point his wife asked him for some wipes and he reached into his pack and tossed them across the train--again, no talking. He seemed to have his head down a bunch, kept touching his face and itching his nose in the “I’m trying to hide the fat lip” way we all know too well. I could tell he was not proud. Not proud to be trying to fit a quick lip in on public transportation with my wife and kids on vacation before I have to go without one for the rest of the morning.

Then I began to wonder about this guy. His story. I wonder if he wants to quit. Maybe he has tried before? I would have just sat next to him and started a conversation, but I was with my wife and he was with his wife and children. After he and his family got off (at the Smithsonian stop—definitely tourists..) I started explaining my thoughts to my wife. I told her I had this wild gamut of emotions. I was so proud of my quit so far (at this point 8 days in). Seeing this man sit there silently, clearly trying to hide a lip, with his wife and 3 kids all enjoying the ride added extra motivation to my quit that day. I also couldn’t stop feeling so sad. I wished I could have talked to him. Asked him questions. Listened to his story. Maybe, just maybe, I could have helped nudge him in the right direction (KTC.org). I just didn’t have that chance.

That’s when I told my wife, I wish I literally had business cards for this website. I could have discretely slipped one to him and quietly said “just take a look”. Maybe he throws it away without even a thought. It’s very possible. However, what if it at least got him on the site? Even if he isn’t ready to quit yet, maybe if he begins considering a quit down the road he remembers the site and it helps him then? Maybe he has tried to quit already and failed and this gives him the motivation to try again?

In my mind, say just 1 of every 10 cards given out even came on the site once. Then of those, say 10% attempted a quit? For those of you following along at home, that would mean of every 100 business cards handed out—about 1 person would attempt a quit. 100 cards cost somewhere around $10-$20. If you told me I could pay $20 right now and go back with a shot to help that dad on the train potentially quit? I would in a heartbeat. Could I have nudged him in a way that ended with him quitting a decade earlier that if I stayed silently in my seat across the metro? Could I have given those kids more time with their father? Likely not. But, it is possible. And I don’t want to waste more opportunities like that.

So I was curious if the KTC community thought there may be something to this idea of cards? I would be willing to design, make, and pay for these to be made. Or if the Admins want to do it, that works too. I understand there could be some drawbacks to doing this, so if you don't like the idea--comment about it. I just can't stop thinking about this family on the metro and wanted to at least bring up the topic and discuss.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to write this, I am still a newbie here.

Proud to quit with you all,

Josh