Author Topic: First attempt at quitting  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: First attempt at quitting
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
Quote from: sixercountry
where are you? No roll?
That "quit post thing" is the most important thing you can do to stay quit, a week solo or not. Or is it now a second "attempt"? For the record, I "attempted" 30-40 times over 17 years. I quit once 4 months ago. See the difference?
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline sixercountry

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-03-03
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
where are you? No roll?

Offline jimthins

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2014-08-04
  • Interests: Fishing, Hunting, Shooting, and Golf.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Great decision you've made DJ. Happy to see another person join up with KTC. I too worried about how I would fair around other people using tobacco. To be honest, it disgusted me. You start to regain smell and taste. Stay strong on Saturday. If you need someone to reach out to, shoot me a PM. Good luck and quit on!

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
Congrats DJ...one week is HUGE. Stay strong.

Offline Heisenberg

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-08-14
  • Interests: Mountain Bikes, Hunting and fishing.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
wow your story sounds like mine. I started in college, 20 years of Copenhagen, first attempt to quit, and I'm also jobless (although I resigned until I can get my addictions under control). I still have yet to hang out with any of my buddies since my quit and even cancelled a few hunting trips because I don't feel I'm ready for that challenge yet. It's amazing how one minute you can start to reflect how good you are starting to feel without the nic and the very next second your mind is telling you to run to the store and buy a can. The cravings come out when you least expect it. Keep fighting.

Offline instaham56

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-08-28
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
DJ - congrats on the decision not to reward yourself with a dip after 3 days! Keep up the good work! I'm on day 3 today, see you in Roll!

and hope the job situation improves for you very soon.
"Victory feels so damn good, I crave it every day"

"If you got QUIT in your heart let it out"

Alcohol Free: 27-Aug-2017
Alcohol Free: 20-Nov-2017
Alcohol Free: 1-Jan-2018
Nicotine Free: 29-Aug-2017

you can call me "Ham" or "Insta"

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
dj, great start to your quit! Read everything on KTC, and then read it again. You can be quit. I was worried about being envious of people dipping, but all I feel is sadness for them, and anger at smokers for their putrid second hand poisoning of others...

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
DJ when I quit my worry was the same as yours...What was I going to do when I got around a bunch of dippers. Truth is when that moment came it was not as hard as I thought. If you are really worried, tell everyone there you quit the moment you get there. That creates accountability. Also limit your alchohol, drinking has led to more caves than anything else, and bring lots of seeds, gum, candy, fake chew, etc. Good luck.

Offline sixercountry

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-03-03
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
Great job successfully navigating the site, posting roll, and creating an intro page. Try to get involved with your group. Get to know others to build some accountability. This is a great start. I'll see you in roll in the mornings. I'll be keeping an eye on your quit for sure.

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
Sounds like you quit almost by accident. Imagine what you could do on purpose.

Offline Mike from AB

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: August 20, 2013
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
Oh  as for your title, this is no attempt. This is getting it done. Work hard at it everyday posting roll  making your contacts  such  this will be your only quit, not merely your first attempt at quitting. You'll run into guys that can't believe you got it done first try

Offline Mike from AB

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: August 20, 2013
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
Quote from: djhuft
Well this is my introduction. I started dipping in college and have not felt like quitting until now, 20 years later. You all seem pretty hardcore quitter types. I guess this is what I need. I didn't do a bunch of planning on quitting. I lost my job (of eight years) last month. Since I have more time at home sending out my resume to everyone, I have had more time to dip. While I was a can every 3 days, I increased that up to a can a day after I lost my job. This increase has chewed up my gums pretty bad and I thought about quitting. I went on your site and everything I already new, but avoided thinking about was thrown in my face. I figured it was time; so on 8/13/14 at 8 pm, I quit. I thought the first three days was going to be hell, but it was not that bad. I used, twizzlers, hot tamales, and smokey mountain. I didn't return to this site until the 3rd night. I never threw away my Copenhagen and had every intention of dipping that 3rd night as a reward for not dipping for 3 days. Before I put the dip in, I thought about the site and logged in and read peoples thoughts for about an hour. Once I was done reading, I emptied my can in the backyard and figured I could continue for a while longer. Well now I am at 7 days and I figured if I can get this far, I should go all the way. I am committing to signing that quit post thing everyday, hopefully I don't forget. I am going to use my introduction as a public journal of my quest to quitting Copenhagen. So I'll come back to it from time to time and let everyone know how I am doing. My big fear right now is next Saturday. I have an annual fantasy football draft at a friends house on Saturday. It will be a bunch of guys and gals drinking and smoking. So I may need some help on this night. I'll let you all know how I do. I know everyone is different, but for me the first 7 days I had very few really bad moments. I always have a desire to dip, but in the first 3 days I only really had one close call and after that I have been fine since. My agitation level is a little higher, but not noticeable to others. Eating has gone up and eating poorly has really gone up. Waking up in the middle of the night has happened every night, but it has not been that big of a deal. Well this is where I am at. I'll give you all an update later this week or tomorrow.
All the best to you  congrats on week 1! Your story sounds eerily similar to mine up until the job loss part thankfully, including brand  amount. But even after decades of use it really is possible to quit thanks to the hard core people on this site. Post roll every day  keep your promise. Sounds easy? It's easier than you think to persevere through you've ready made it through the roughest part. Everybody here is so willing to help just PM if you need numbers to text  keep your phone close at hand. The first year will be filled with seasonal triggers of all types football being the first one for those if us choosing this time of year to quit. But then for a lot of guys just waking up  breathing is a trigger. You got this.

Offline djhuft

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-08-13
First attempt at quitting
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:06:00 PM »
Well this is my introduction. I started dipping in college and have not felt like quitting until now, 20 years later. You all seem pretty hardcore quitter types. I guess this is what I need. I didn't do a bunch of planning on quitting. I lost my job (of eight years) last month. Since I have more time at home sending out my resume to everyone, I have had more time to dip. While I was a can every 3 days, I increased that up to a can a day after I lost my job. This increase has chewed up my gums pretty bad and I thought about quitting. I went on your site and everything I already new, but avoided thinking about was thrown in my face. I figured it was time; so on 8/13/14 at 8 pm, I quit. I thought the first three days was going to be hell, but it was not that bad. I used, twizzlers, hot tamales, and smokey mountain. I didn't return to this site until the 3rd night. I never threw away my Copenhagen and had every intention of dipping that 3rd night as a reward for not dipping for 3 days. Before I put the dip in, I thought about the site and logged in and read peoples thoughts for about an hour. Once I was done reading, I emptied my can in the backyard and figured I could continue for a while longer. Well now I am at 7 days and I figured if I can get this far, I should go all the way. I am committing to signing that quit post thing everyday, hopefully I don't forget. I am going to use my introduction as a public journal of my quest to quitting Copenhagen. So I'll come back to it from time to time and let everyone know how I am doing. My big fear right now is next Saturday. I have an annual fantasy football draft at a friends house on Saturday. It will be a bunch of guys and gals drinking and smoking. So I may need some help on this night. I'll let you all know how I do. I know everyone is different, but for me the first 7 days I had very few really bad moments. I always have a desire to dip, but in the first 3 days I only really had one close call and after that I have been fine since. My agitation level is a little higher, but not noticeable to others. Eating has gone up and eating poorly has really gone up. Waking up in the middle of the night has happened every night, but it has not been that big of a deal. Well this is where I am at. I'll give you all an update later this week or tomorrow.