Author Topic: Very skeptical  (Read 1277 times)

Offline etook

• Likes Given: 0
Re: Very skeptical
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
SkoalCowboy
I decided at the beginning of the week that i was going to to quit. i have just gotten through my 2nd day with sunflower seeds and regular gum. I feel terrible and have all day. You just need to set your mind to it and do it for you. It will be worth it in the end. embrace the suck

Offline Masoncowboy

• Quitter
  • Interests: Family, Masonry, woodworking, movies, and work.
  • Likes Given: 0
Very skeptical
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Not sure if I am doing this correctly, but I figured I would start here. I have been using smokeless tobacco for almost 30 years now. I started with Copenhagen, wanted to quit "dip" and the only thing I could get to kill the cravings of the dip was chewing tobacco. I figured that may be easier to quit when I was ready. Off to Redman Golden Blend I went. Then, when chewing tobacco wasn't enough to crave my needs, I went to Skoal. The trouble was, I never stopped chewing tobacco. During that time, I was chewing two bags a day and going through two cans a day as well. Over the years, I have slimmed down to 1 1/2 - 2 cans of Skoal a day. I have wanted to quit now for over ten years. I have tried sunflower seeds, regular gum, Nicorette gum (which was funny. I chewed on six pieces before spitting it out for a dip), I have tried quitting "cold turkey", and I have tried the mint snuff "alternative." None of this has even remotely worked.

I know that those of you on this site have quit, and I am envious of all of you. I congratulate you for your achievement and while I don't know any of you yet, I am proud of all of you for your hard work.

At the risk of sounding too skeptical, how does this work? I know having a support system is essential to quitting anything. However, it seems like there would have to be something else. I am very driven to quit. I have to sneek it at work, I always carry a spit bottle with me, my mouth hurts, it is very expensive to do two cans a day, my wife hates it, and I don't want my toddler son growing up seeing that as something to do.

Any advise any of you can offer, I am open to it. I want to stop, and I am willing to do whatever it takes, although, I am not sure the people around me are going to enjoy it. When I am out for more then 15 minutes, people start walking away from me!

Thank you to all who respond, thank you to all who read my story, thank you to the people who developed this site, and thank you to all those who have forged the road I am wanting to take.
Quit date: February 17, 2011