Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Admanc

• Quitter
  • Interests: Formerly Nicotine, Gasoline and Caffeine.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
I had not thought of this site in quite some time. It's been about 6.5 years since I reached my 100 day mark. Today, my 70 year-old mom sent me a text asking me for the name of that site that helped me quit dipping. She has a friend with 2 grown sons who desperately want to quit. I texted her the link and told her they really need to get their butts in here to join a quit group. The more I thought about it, I started to realize I owed it to the community to give an update. I logged back in today for the first time in over 6 years. My HOF class was April 2011 and today marks my 2,507th day without nicotine. Not all of my class made it, but I was damn proud of those of us who pulled through and encouraged each other every single day not to use nicotine. Those first couple of months were nasty, painful, and felt damn near impossible. But most of us prevailed. I'm living proof that once you kill the demon, you can keep it killed. I no longer crave the taste, the smell, or the feel of having something in my lip. I'm thankfully well beyond that point now. I've replaced it with far more healthy and fun activities that have only enriched my life and made me a happier person. My family likes me a lot better now too, without seeing disgusting, half-filled cans of chew spit laying around, dealing with erratic mood swings, and watching me blow through $30 a week on a filthy habit that was putting my life and health at risk. I'm also incredibly proud of the fact that my only son won't have to learn this awful habit from watching his father do it. I just wanted to post once again to encourage those who are struggling, to thank those who motivated me to stay quit, and to prove that it can be done.
Killing the damn bear who's been trailing my ass for 24 years. Quit since 1/10/11.

Offline minuteofangle

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
It sounds a little like your romancing the shit brother. What the hell was so good about spitting shit in a smelly assed bottle, and running around all day with a cat turd poking out of your face? There is nothing romantic, good, or desirable about this shit! It is a highly addictive poison that is designed to get you hooked and keep you paying big Tobacco for the privledge of dying slowly! Fuck them 'Finger' you cant have my money you fuckers.

MOA

Offline sts

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
fuck "often" - check back every day when you post roll :)
HOF Date: 4/4/2011

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Admanc - GREAT CHOICE. I flunked the insurance nic test a couple of years ago and had to pay even higher premiums for the next year. But, like a total idiot, I started dipping again right after I passed the test.

Anyway, congrats on your choice. Post roll, keep your word and live nic-free!!! Great job, brotha.

Offline Admanc

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Thanks, Jaygib. It has been just 17 days for me now. Once I got the insurance test results back and saw that I had passed, I was tempted to go back to the bear. But in quitting for a solid week, I saw just how much hold this monster had on me. I knew I was addicted, but I had no idea just HOW addicted I was. I had never given my body more than a day's break from nicotine in well over 24 years. The withdrawal symptoms were horrific and the craves were unbearable at times (and still can be). I clearly understand how easy it would be to cave and go back, and I really hope I don't. Right now, I'm determined to beat this f'n thing one day at a time. I know it will be a struggle, especially when shit hits the fan, but this group will help a lot. I'm glad to be in the company of such great people who are all living my hell (or have lived it before me).
Killing the damn bear who's been trailing my ass for 24 years. Quit since 1/10/11.

Offline jaygib

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Quote from: Admanc
I started chewing Kodiak wintergreen back when I was 15 years old and it became a daily part of my regular life for the next 24 years. My wife and I had a baby son a few months ago and I took a real hard look in the mirror about the kind of father I wanted to be. I didn't want my son growing up to be a chewer, or to see his daddy spitting brown shit in a can all the time. I knew I needed to quit, and had every reason to quit. Still, make no mistake...I really enjoyed chewing tobacco and had really come to believe it was part of my identity and all that I was about. It was my thing. Something I could depend upon to rescue me from boredom, anger, pain, stress, hunger...you name it.

I decided on January 10th to quit, as I was scheduled to take a life insurance physical later that week that would be able to tell if I had nicotine in my blood. If it showed-up, I would be denied for the insurance, so I sucked it up and quit for a few days, gutting it out and trying like mad to just hang on until the tests were done. After I got through the tests and one really horrible week, I asked myself "Why go back now? You've made it a week." I am now on day 16 of being completely nicotine free. Damn, I still miss it and think about it often, but I just can't justify a reason for going back through the gates of hell by slipping back into it. It's been hard. The mood swings. The extra weight (from eating to control urges). The foggy-headedness and ADD at work (which I hate the most). But I'm surviving...one day at a time.

This site was like an oasis in the desert for me. There are so many resources out there for smokers, but not much for chewers. I was very glad to find it and to read everyone's posts, along with advice and tips from people who have been through this, too. I'll be checking back here often.
Keep quitting daily man. I stopped using many years ago for that same reason, the life insurance policy--my wife thought I'd already quit by that point. Quit for a week and basically tried to make sure that the cotton swab touched as little of my mouth as possible during that test. That break from dip stuck for another 2 years save the couple of one night stands I had along the way. Then when the shit hit the fan in life I ran to my fix like you wouldn't believe--f quitting for that woman if she was doing me wrong anyway. I stopped for the wrong reasons then.

Quit for you today, tomorrow and next year when that freaking bear tries to sneak back in your life.
Quit January 19, 2011

Everything is permissible for me but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor 6:12

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Quote from: Admanc
I started chewing Kodiak wintergreen back when I was 15 years old and it became a daily part of my regular life for the next 24 years. My wife and I had a baby son a few months ago and I took a real hard look in the mirror about the kind of father I wanted to be. I didn't want my son growing up to be a chewer, or to see his daddy spitting brown shit in a can all the time. I knew I needed to quit, and had every reason to quit. Still, make no mistake...I really enjoyed chewing tobacco and had really come to believe it was part of my identity and all that I was about. It was my thing. Something I could depend upon to rescue me from boredom, anger, pain, stress, hunger...you name it.

I decided on January 10th to quit, as I was scheduled to take a life insurance physical later that week that would be able to tell if I had nicotine in my blood. If it showed-up, I would be denied for the insurance, so I sucked it up and quit for a few days, gutting it out and trying like mad to just hang on until the tests were done. After I got through the tests and one really horrible week, I asked myself "Why go back now? You've made it a week." I am now on day 16 of being completely nicotine free. Damn, I still miss it and think about it often, but I just can't justify a reason for going back through the gates of hell by slipping back into it. It's been hard. The mood swings. The extra weight (from eating to control urges). The foggy-headedness and ADD at work (which I hate the most). But I'm surviving...one day at a time.

This site was like an oasis in the desert for me. There are so many resources out there for smokers, but not much for chewers. I was very glad to find it and to read everyone's posts, along with advice and tips from people who have been through this, too. I'll be checking back here often.
Welcome. Post with us everyday. It helps me get through everyday. You have chosen wisely!

Offline Admanc

• Quitter
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »