Author Topic: New to site but not to trying to quit  (Read 1101 times)

Offline juliejan

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Spending time with my familyMaking quiltsReading
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to site but not to trying to quit
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Quote from: juliejan
Quote from: bobbyjones
So what now.  Every other time that I tried to quit it last about 1-3 days. I hope to go longer this time.

A brief history:  I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey.  Granted it was after a number of failed attempts but I just walked away from it.  No nicotine for 2 years than I picked up Red Man during my last year of college.  Traded up to dip for the past two years, 1 can + per day.  I try every week to not go to the store for any more dip but I can’t do it.  It is like a magnet.  On Friday 10-26-07 at 8:30 I picked up the 4mg gum instead of my usual 3 cans of dip.  It takes a little of the edge off but not anywhere close to being a replacement for dip.  Only 2 days into quitting and it is already looking bleak.  Short fuse, hunger, restlessness, agitation.  I know that it gets better but how do I get through it?

I hope that this site helps.
Hey BJ, I dipped cope for 20 years,and am 59 days quit. Never thought I could do it. It does get better every day. Come on lets do this. :D
I dipped almost 25 years a can a day. I'm 116 days quit thanks to this site. JJ
Show off :P
'winker'

Offline Mij

• Quitter
  • Interests: Church,Family,Exercise,Beach,Piano
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
Quote from: juliejan
So what now.  Every other time that I tried to quit it last about 1-3 days. I hope to go longer this time.

A brief history:  I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey.  Granted it was after a number of failed attempts but I just walked away from it.  No nicotine for 2 years than I picked up Red Man during my last year of college.  Traded up to dip for the past two years, 1 can + per day.  I try every week to not go to the store for any more dip but I can’t do it.  It is like a magnet.  On Friday 10-26-07 at 8:30 I picked up the 4mg gum instead of my usual 3 cans of dip.  It takes a little of the edge off but not anywhere close to being a replacement for dip.  Only 2 days into quitting and it is already looking bleak.  Short fuse, hunger, restlessness, agitation.  I know that it gets better but how do I get through it?

Hey BJ, I dipped cope for 20 years,and am 59 days quit. Never thought I could do it. It does get better every day. Come on lets do this. :D
Show off :P
HOF 12/8/07
2nd floor 3/17/08
3rd floor 6/25/08
4th floor 10/3/08
5th floor 1/11/09
6th floor 4/21/09
7th floor 7/30/09
8th floor 11/7/09

Offline juliejan

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Spending time with my familyMaking quiltsReading
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »

Offline Mij

• Quitter
  • Interests: Church,Family,Exercise,Beach,Piano
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »

HOF 12/8/07
2nd floor 3/17/08
3rd floor 6/25/08
4th floor 10/3/08
5th floor 1/11/09
6th floor 4/21/09
7th floor 7/30/09
8th floor 11/7/09

Offline 11X4

• Quit Pro
    • www.killthecan.org
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
So what now. Every other time that I tried to quit it last about 1-3 days. I hope to go longer this time.

A brief history: I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey. Granted it was after a number of failed attempts but I just walked away from it. No nicotine for 2 years than I picked up Red Man during my last year of college. Traded up to dip for the past two years, 1 can + per day. I try every week to not go to the store for any more dip but I canÂ’t do it. It is like a magnet. On Friday 10-26-07 at 8:30 I picked up the 4mg gum instead of my usual 3 cans of dip. It takes a little of the edge off but not anywhere close to being a replacement for dip. Only 2 days into quitting and it is already looking bleak. Short fuse, hunger, restlessness, agitation. I know that it gets better but how do I get through it?

Congrats on the decision to quit. You are not alone in having tried to quit multiple times. Lots of us on the site had that problem. This site has been the answer. The first thing that you need to do is stop throwing around phrases like "i hope". You CAN, you WILL. Using Nic Gum or any other NRT is only prolonging the certainty of nicotine withdrawal, but if you feel that it is necessary be certain to stick to the program. After all, it is nicotine that has the hold on you. This site will help you, but you have to help yourself first.

Read the "What to Expect when Quitting" section. (the underlined is a link) Post roll on this site everyday. That is your word to us (your quit brothers and sisters) and to yourself that you will not use tobacco for today. A word to the wise, if you are not a man of your word, don't bother. The site is about accountability. Drink tons of water, read others posts, and post your feelings.

It's time to quit. No try, no hope. There is do or do not.
I've always wanted to save a life, so I started with mine.

Quit Date: 4/22/2007~HOF: 7/30/2007~2nd Floor: 11/7/07~3rd Floor: 2/15/08~1 YEAR!: 4/22/2008~4th Floor: 5/25/2008~5th Floor: 9/2/2008~6th Floor: 12/11/2008~7th Floor: 3/21/2009~2 Years: 4/22/2009~ 8th Floor: 6/29/2009 ~ 9th Floor: 10/7/2009 ~ My Comma: 1/15/2010!

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing-the worst thing you can do is nothing. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bobbyjones

New to site but not to trying to quit
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
So what now. Every other time that I tried to quit it last about 1-3 days. I hope to go longer this time.

A brief history: I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey. Granted it was after a number of failed attempts but I just walked away from it. No nicotine for 2 years than I picked up Red Man during my last year of college. Traded up to dip for the past two years, 1 can + per day. I try every week to not go to the store for any more dip but I canÂ’t do it. It is like a magnet. On Friday 10-26-07 at 8:30 I picked up the 4mg gum instead of my usual 3 cans of dip. It takes a little of the edge off but not anywhere close to being a replacement for dip. Only 2 days into quitting and it is already looking bleak. Short fuse, hunger, restlessness, agitation. I know that it gets better but how do I get through it?