Author Topic: Capital70's Intro/Quit Journey  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1654
Re: Capital70's Intro and Quit Journey
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 04:35:00 AM »
Quote from: Capital70
Day 77 in the books. I feel obligated to type a little. Just got done grading scrimmage film. I have now made it through 2 weeks of two a days and two scrimmages dip free. Our first regular season game is in 13 days. School starts in 10 days. I am anxious about these upcoming challenges, but I am also confident. There were some rough patches in the 60-70 range but nothing like the first couple weeks. I am finding that everyones quit is different and someone will always tell you the next set of days coming up is going to be the worst....for example someone text me and said that the 80's are the hardest. I don't like sitting around and worrying about what is coming BUT I also do not want to get overconfident. My KTC phone contacts went from 91 to 85 because of cavers and MIQ's. Guys who thought they don't need KTC anymore. Why? Why not go all in and try it? It can't hurt anything, but walking away could screw up everything! There are some days I am more involved than others, but I know its not all about me and I need to help others.

I do not have anything spectacular to say, but the word of the day is SEPARATION. I have actively been trying to separate smokeless tobacco use from all aspects of my life. For over 20+ years I would use that drug in just about every scenario AND I had convinced myself it was helping. I am happy to report that slowly I am learning you don't need it. Today I got up before the sun and went and coached a scrimmage. When I got home the house was a mess, the kids were crazy, the wife was on edge, etc. This would have been prime tobacco time in the past. Instead of losing my shit I took some deep breaths and said..."I have a day and a half to get all this done". My wife and I didn't fight and within 90 minutes everything was done and we were relaxing. It seems silly and to explain that to a non tobacco user they wouldn't understand, but situations like this are big wins for me.

I was in a fog at the scrimmage today, but tonight grading the film I felt right as rain. I call these times "moments of clarity". When my chest isn't tight, my mind isn't racing, and I am thinking perfectly clear. These times are still rare, BUT they are increasing in frequency.

I went back and reread my early intro prior to my cave and it reminded me just how awful that experience was. Even after 77 days I have no desire to go back. I am also keeping this quit in perspective. Nothing magical happens at 100. I will not be cured. I will have a coin in my pocket to remind me of my promise and my experience, but the hard work goes on...not just for me, but for the guy who wants to start quitting tomorrow.
That's HOF speech material right there. Marvelous testimony Cap. You're an asset to those in your circle and every sphere you touch!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Capital70

• Quitter
  • ODDAAT And Lovin It!
  • Quit Date: May 27, 2018
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 12:07:00 AM »
Day 77 in the books. I feel obligated to type a little. Just got done grading scrimmage film. I have now made it through 2 weeks of two a days and two scrimmages dip free. Our first regular season game is in 13 days. School starts in 10 days. I am anxious about these upcoming challenges, but I am also confident. There were some rough patches in the 60-70 range but nothing like the first couple weeks. I am finding that everyones quit is different and someone will always tell you the next set of days coming up is going to be the worst....for example someone text me and said that the 80's are the hardest. I don't like sitting around and worrying about what is coming BUT I also do not want to get overconfident. My KTC phone contacts went from 91 to 85 because of cavers and MIQ's. Guys who thought they don't need KTC anymore. Why? Why not go all in and try it? It can't hurt anything, but walking away could screw up everything! There are some days I am more involved than others, but I know its not all about me and I need to help others.

I do not have anything spectacular to say, but the word of the day is SEPARATION. I have actively been trying to separate smokeless tobacco use from all aspects of my life. For over 20+ years I would use that drug in just about every scenario AND I had convinced myself it was helping. I am happy to report that slowly I am learning you don't need it. Today I got up before the sun and went and coached a scrimmage. When I got home the house was a mess, the kids were crazy, the wife was on edge, etc. This would have been prime tobacco time in the past. Instead of losing my shit I took some deep breaths and said..."I have a day and a half to get all this done". My wife and I didn't fight and within 90 minutes everything was done and we were relaxing. It seems silly and to explain that to a non tobacco user they wouldn't understand, but situations like this are big wins for me.

I was in a fog at the scrimmage today, but tonight grading the film I felt right as rain. I call these times "moments of clarity". When my chest isn't tight, my mind isn't racing, and I am thinking perfectly clear. These times are still rare, BUT they are increasing in frequency.

I went back and reread my early intro prior to my cave and it reminded me just how awful that experience was. Even after 77 days I have no desire to go back. I am also keeping this quit in perspective. Nothing magical happens at 100. I will not be cured. I will have a coin in my pocket to remind me of my promise and my experience, but the hard work goes on...not just for me, but for the guy who wants to start quitting tomorrow.
Capital70
Quit Date May 27th, 2018
HOF September 3rd, 2018
Intro/Quit Journey
HOF Speech- I Get To
"The more I sacrifice, the harder it is to surrender"
"F#*k man, just post roll and keep your promise" -batdad
Quitters I've Met- 69Franx, Wiesman71, McDave, Jeidi1991
Bad asses quit....everyone else stays addicted

Offline Sean Fiske

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 6/28/2018
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2018, 08:44:00 PM »
Cap,
Just want you to know - texting you every day and getting one back from you - it has made a big difference in my life. Your quit is not only not in vain for you but it's not in vain for people like me either.

I'm pulling for you brother.

Offline Capital70

• Quitter
  • ODDAAT And Lovin It!
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Came home after 4 days of hospitals and traveling and house was a mess. Started frantically cleaning...this is usually when I put a dip in. Stopped and grabbed my phone. Spent about 10 min in live chat, posting support, and texting people. After some deep breaths IÂ’m ready to get back after it. Taking 10 min to refocus can make a big difference....who knew...probably all the guys who are quit and told me to buy in. Day 63 almost in the books.
Capital70
Quit Date May 27th, 2018
HOF September 3rd, 2018
Intro/Quit Journey
HOF Speech- I Get To

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2018, 06:48:00 AM »
NINE WEEKS is a big milestone Cap. Love your passion for the quit and those around you.
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline BBQchips

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Slather on the quit sauce
  • Quit Date: June 28, 2018
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, skiing, hockey, reading, video games
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 09:42:00 PM »
Cap sorry to hear about the situations you have going on. But thanks for all the texts and showing you can hang tough thru not just the withdrawal suck but when you get those mental curveballs too. Proud to quit with you. Text if you need a lift.
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills."

HOF Speech -A lot has happened

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 05:10:00 PM »
Geez Cap, I an't got the words. You're a pillar of quit to so many. You have indeed become the epitome of paying it forward. Working with you has definitely strengthened my resolve not just to quit but to be a better man.
Quit on brother!

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Capital70

• Quitter
  • ODDAAT And Lovin It!
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
Ugh...I need to go to bed, but this might help someone and I want to write it while its fresh. Day 52 is in the books. Day 53 starts in an hour. I am actually starting to believe it gets better. Might be pre-mature but I read about the funk that comes in the 70-90 day range. I am ODDAAT but I want to be ready for that. I now have 76 contacts in my phone and I want to text every single one of them before I cave. I love seeing the October group growing. I have really put some effort into some of those guys. As silly as it sounds....Im not sure I am going to like the November group as much! I also don't want to burn myself out. Im going to pray about it and stretch myself as much as I can, because thats how this place works. At any rate I digress...Here are the two things I want to get down.

Found out Monday that one of my good coaching friends is in the hospital. While on vacation his replaced hip from years ago started acting up and he had to come home and was admitted to the hospital. He is a cope dipper...probably close to a can a day. He has a nasty infection in his hip and is going to be in the hospital for some time. He was on the fence about quitting with me 53 days ago but never pulled the trigger. His options now are to sneak some cope into the hospital, or go through the suck while recovering from his hip surgery/infection. I know that I am nowhere near healed, but to know that I can make it 53 days is amazing. Im sad for my friend, but it has strengthened my quit

Item 2 is my mothers medical emergency from 2 days ago. I was stuck on an island 4 hours from my mom when she called and said her defibrilator went off three times. I drove my family 4 hours home, repacked, and drove 2 more hours to be with my mom. Stayed with her late into the evening and then GOT A SPEEDING TICKET WHEN I WAS FINALLY GOING TO GO HOME AND SLEEP! I can't make this up! My mom is having surgery next week on her heart and Ill make the 2 hour drive again. I have remained very positive over the past 52 days. Feeling sorry for yourself doesn't accomplish shit, and its a lie. WE AREN'T MISSING OUT ON ANYTHING!!! Quitting is the best thing we can do for ourselves and its NOT IMPOSSIBLE. In fact it doesnt even suck. Its just hard. Cancer, tooth loss, gum recession, jaw removal, tounge removal, etc....THOSE SUCK!!! Despite knowing all of that in the back of my mind I was always afraid that something SO bad would happen that I would HAVE to dip. A fight with my wife, someone getting sick, etc....Well, getting a frantic call from your mom when you are stuck 4 hours away ranks pretty high on the shittastic scale and I made it. Because I posted roll and honored my word. I may have to go through something harder, but 1 problem + nicotine = 2 problems.

Football practice in the morning....gotta get some sleep....and I LOVE that i can sleep now!!!
Capital70
Quit Date May 27th, 2018
HOF September 3rd, 2018
Intro/Quit Journey
HOF Speech- I Get To

Offline BBQchips

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
Day 42

I was going to get on the computer tonight and write a big long journal entry but alas I am in bed reading a good book winding down SIX DAMN WEEKS of quit. IÂ’m so damn proud of myself. Today was like most days...some anxiety, minor cravings, etc. but here I am. Another day stronger and one more day removed from that bitch that was trying to kill me. I just introduced myself to two new guys tonight. I hope they post roll tomorrow. I have poured so much into others over the past 6 weeks I havenÂ’t really even thought about my own quit. Only that there are now so many people counting on me I cannot fail. The amount of control I now feel is staggering. It seems simple...as long as you donÂ’t buy dip and put it in your mouth you wonÂ’t cave. I used to be scared of caving...and while I still understand how it can happen and that I need to respect the power of nicotine..IÂ’m not scared anymore. If I felt like I was about to fail I have 68 contacts in my phone I can reach out to. Even the new guys in the October group are bad asses. I am not putting blinders on. I know there are challenges ahead. Football practice is going to pick up, school is going to start, etc. these are all things I have never done without dip, and they are coming...but all I have to do is make it 24 hours at a time. One day. One school day, one practice, one two a day, one game, and so on. I donÂ’t need to do it all right now....in fact IÂ’m going to read and then sleep, which I can now do REALLY well! Bring on 43
Badass Cap. Keep killing it. Proud to quit with you.see you on roll tomorrow.
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Offline Capital70

• Quitter
  • ODDAAT And Lovin It!
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 11:58:00 PM »
Day 42

I was going to get on the computer tonight and write a big long journal entry but alas I am in bed reading a good book winding down SIX DAMN WEEKS of quit. IÂ’m so damn proud of myself. Today was like most days...some anxiety, minor cravings, etc. but here I am. Another day stronger and one more day removed from that bitch that was trying to kill me. I just introduced myself to two new guys tonight. I hope they post roll tomorrow. I have poured so much into others over the past 6 weeks I havenÂ’t really even thought about my own quit. Only that there are now so many people counting on me I cannot fail. The amount of control I now feel is staggering. It seems simple...as long as you donÂ’t buy dip and put it in your mouth you wonÂ’t cave. I used to be scared of caving...and while I still understand how it can happen and that I need to respect the power of nicotine..IÂ’m not scared anymore. If I felt like I was about to fail I have 68 contacts in my phone I can reach out to. Even the new guys in the October group are bad asses. I am not putting blinders on. I know there are challenges ahead. Football practice is going to pick up, school is going to start, etc. these are all things I have never done without dip, and they are coming...but all I have to do is make it 24 hours at a time. One day. One school day, one practice, one two a day, one game, and so on. I donÂ’t need to do it all right now....in fact IÂ’m going to read and then sleep, which I can now do REALLY well! Bring on 43
Capital70
Quit Date May 27th, 2018
HOF September 3rd, 2018
Intro/Quit Journey
HOF Speech- I Get To

Offline -grizznomore-

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-07-02
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
Hey, just wanted to let you know that you have helped me out more than you know. May or may not have caved on my 2nd or 3rd morning if i didnt get your morning txt. Makes it easier knowing we all are addicted to this same demon. Enjoyed the read btw

Offline Sean Fiske

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 6/28/2018
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 11:32:00 PM »
Quote from: croakenhagen
Quote from: BBQchips
Day 36 in the books. I just sat down and read Athan's intro for like 30 minutes. That dude is a rock star. So impressed by him. I am starting to realize that people actually read these intros....maybe people that haven't even quit yet. It is odd that I don't feel the need to come in here and talk about how hard it is anymore. I mean, it is hard. I have a tightening in my chest most hours of the day, my mind still races at times and I lose focus, but I really think a transformation is happening. I know that dip won't make those things stop. I know that if I control my mind I can control my body and I can HEAL. It is going to take time. Years. But all I have to do is win today. We took a poll in our group today. 3 people think the morning is the hardest, 3 think the afternoon, and 3 think the evening. I LOVE the evening...I won another day. Sitting here in my quiet house typing away knowing that I beat the nic bitch. I am still taking an OTC sleep aide but I think I am pretty close to being done with it. I have been exercising much more. My endurance has went up significantly, and I think I could sleep on my own.

If you are reading this and you haven't quit...you should....we will help

If you are under 36 days...it gets better!

Time to kiss my kids good night...guilt free!
Cap has helped keep me on track for the early part of my quit. Thanks for fighting and setting a good path ODAAT.
Same here!!
Same here! For sure!

Offline Croakenhagen

• Quit Pro
  • Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?
  • Quit Date: 8-16-2020
  • Likes Given: 867
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 11:11:00 PM »
Quote from: BBQchips
Day 36 in the books. I just sat down and read Athan's intro for like 30 minutes. That dude is a rock star. So impressed by him. I am starting to realize that people actually read these intros....maybe people that haven't even quit yet. It is odd that I don't feel the need to come in here and talk about how hard it is anymore. I mean, it is hard. I have a tightening in my chest most hours of the day, my mind still races at times and I lose focus, but I really think a transformation is happening. I know that dip won't make those things stop. I know that if I control my mind I can control my body and I can HEAL. It is going to take time. Years. But all I have to do is win today. We took a poll in our group today. 3 people think the morning is the hardest, 3 think the afternoon, and 3 think the evening. I LOVE the evening...I won another day. Sitting here in my quiet house typing away knowing that I beat the nic bitch. I am still taking an OTC sleep aide but I think I am pretty close to being done with it. I have been exercising much more. My endurance has went up significantly, and I think I could sleep on my own.

Cap has helped keep me on track for the early part of my quit. Thanks for fighting and setting a good path ODAAT.
Same here!!
Humbled.

Offline BBQchips

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 09:00:00 PM »

Offline Capital70

• Quitter
  • ODDAAT And Lovin It!
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 10:26:00 PM »

Capital70
Quit Date May 27th, 2018
HOF September 3rd, 2018
Intro/Quit Journey
HOF Speech- I Get To