Author Topic: This Time Is For Real  (Read 93068 times)

Offline FMBM707

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-05-06
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: this time is for real
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
Quote from: candoit
Day 14

I am reflective at this point in my quit. So far I have experienced very low lows, in which I am angry at everyone and mellow even points. I wouldn't say that I am depressed nor would I say I am emotionally stable, but I am taking pause to evaluate the events and choices that have lead me to this point in my life.

The fact is I always had something to prove to everyone but myself. Whether it was in atheltics, socially, intellectually, or at work. The need to seek some sort of approval that I had earned the right to be here, gave me one hell of an egostical chip on my shoulder. I know why I first started to smoke, drink, or go down a very dark place in my life. I found things I could control, but in the end for what I thought I could control, controlled me.

I used to say, I would be a in a gutter if it wasn't for my wife, that statement is not tongue and cheek, it is the gospel truth. This habit it the last rement of my old life, that needed to be shed. In shedding this remaining crutch I can now move on with my journey. I would say that part of my life was the better part of 15 yrs.

14 days ago, I heard myself say to my wife "I will ask my doctor, next week about how to quit." She stormed off, i left for work and stopped for a tin, not thinking much of anything. But as that tin sat there on the passenger seat, I thought why is she mad, I do everything she want, she is the one that has the problem. But an hour is a long time to be alone with your thoughts, but then I though of every major fight in the past several years, guess who caused it, the nic bitch! That was it, I had been in this place so many times before, but what makes it any different? I will quit tonight, I just bought a new tin, that's a waste of money. So as I pulled into work, I did my ninja dipper routine hid the bottle, and tin. Went to my office and put in another one, well I have to get rid of it why waste it? So on went the day, got pissed, another one, coffee break? Another one, why well I am getting rid of the tin. But lunch I started looking how to quit, baccoff, patchs , gum, cold turkey? Oh there's a coupon for patches, or gum, but if I use baccoff my wife won't like that.... Then KTC and next thing I know its 4 pm. That drive home I threw the tin out of the window in the middle of interstate, went home, took my daughter to cheer leading, and joined KTC. That's where I am right now. The same spot I was 14 days ago, except I am now a quitter for life.

July 23, 2014 I realized that this addiction didn't define me, nor did the approval of anyone else. I said it before "I am not seeking forgiveness from everyone, I am seeking to forgive myself. I am living what I preech, I came clean with my wife, asked for her support and made it clear that I am not asking for forgiveness, but support. I reached out to my quit family, and the elders here. They all gave me adivice , but more important they gave me support.

For those that may be reading the KTC forums, please realize something. Everyone that is here and is committed to their quit, does not except failure. It may seem harsh, rude, arrogent, and hypocritical, but if you have that view you don't know what it means to quit yet. Saying failure is okay means it's okay to put that shit in your mouth, and its not a big deal. Well count how many times you have made that deal with yourself, and three years later your back at square one. Why? Because you said failure is okay.

KTC has been the support I need to quit everyday. The forums are only part of it, the numbers, live chat, and kakao app chatter that make the quit possible. U put ur quit in the hands of every serious quitter when you join, as they put their quit in yours. The wisdom and experiences of the group is something I haven't experienced in a very long time.

To my titan family:
Lim - the ability to reach out and be the butt of long running jokes, in the face of huge obsticals impresses and inspires me every day.
Southpaw the wisdom and leadership you display at such a young age, you have nothing but greatness ahead
Bam your fight to do right by your children and willingness to fight for them and our quit
Enav the southern possum fighter, always with the joke, has been a huge help
Thomas the voice of reason
Thutchi keep moving forward, I am proud you found the fight
Sir Derek truly fitting name for someone willing to suppport a newibie as an equal.

All of the others that I have not mentioned please do not take offense or disrespect for not being mentioned here. I have not chatted or spoken with you, we still have many more days of our life long battle together to get to know one another.

As I began this post I am in a reflective place, and thought I should share my thoughts about the past two weeks. I will end with this quote from my youth by the bouncing souls " together we are what we can't be alone"
Good stuff Candoit. Enjoyed the read! Keep up the good quit.

Offline Ginet

• Quitter
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
Quote from: Done4Me
Quote from: Smeds
Day 14

I am reflective at this point in my quit. So far I have experienced very low lows, in which I am angry at everyone and mellow even points. I wouldn't say that I am depressed nor would I say I am emotionally stable, but I am taking pause to evaluate the events and choices that have lead me to this point in my life.

The fact is I always had something to prove to everyone but myself. Whether it was in atheltics, socially, intellectually, or at work. The need to seek some sort of approval that I had earned the right to be here, gave me one hell of an egostical chip on my shoulder. I know why I first started to smoke, drink, or go down a very dark place in my life. I found things I could control, but in the end for what I thought I could control, controlled me.

I used to say, I would be a in a gutter if it wasn't for my wife, that statement is not tongue and cheek, it is the gospel truth. This habit it the last rement of my old life, that needed to be shed. In shedding this remaining crutch I can now move on with my journey. I would say that part of my life was the better part of 15 yrs.

14 days ago, I heard myself say to my wife "I will ask my doctor, next week about how to quit." She stormed off, i left for work and stopped for a tin, not thinking much of anything. But as that tin sat there on the passenger seat, I thought why is she mad, I do everything she want, she is the one that has the problem. But an hour is a long time to be alone with your thoughts, but then I though of every major fight in the past several years, guess who caused it, the nic bitch! That was it, I had been in this place so many times before, but what makes it any different? I will quit tonight, I just bought a new tin, that's a waste of money. So as I pulled into work, I did my ninja dipper routine hid the bottle, and tin. Went to my office and put in another one, well I have to get rid of it why waste it? So on went the day, got pissed, another one, coffee break? Another one, why well I am getting rid of the tin. But lunch I started looking how to quit, baccoff, patchs , gum, cold turkey? Oh there's a coupon for patches, or gum, but if I use baccoff my wife won't like that.... Then KTC and next thing I know its 4 pm. That drive home I threw the tin out of the window in the middle of interstate, went home, took my daughter to cheer leading, and joined KTC. That's where I am right now. The same spot I was 14 days ago, except I am now a quitter for life.

July 23, 2014 I realized that this addiction didn't define me, nor did the approval of anyone else. I said it before "I am not seeking forgiveness from everyone, I am seeking to forgive myself. I am living what I preech, I came clean with my wife, asked for her support and made it clear that I am not asking for forgiveness, but support. I reached out to my quit family, and the elders here. They all gave me adivice , but more important they gave me support.

For those that may be reading the KTC forums, please realize something. Everyone that is here and is committed to their quit, does not except failure. It may seem harsh, rude, arrogent, and hypocritical, but if you have that view you don't know what it means to quit yet. Saying failure is okay means it's okay to put that shit in your mouth, and its not a big deal. Well count how many times you have made that deal with yourself, and three years later your back at square one. Why? Because you said failure is okay.

KTC has been the support I need to quit everyday. The forums are only part of it, the numbers, live chat, and kakao app chatter that make the quit possible. U put ur quit in the hands of every serious quitter when you join, as they put their quit in yours. The wisdom and experiences of the group is something I haven't experienced in a very long time.

To my titan family:
Lim - the ability to reach out and be the butt of long running jokes, in the face of huge obsticals impresses and inspires me every day.
Southpaw the wisdom and leadership you display at such a young age, you have nothing but greatness ahead
Bam your fight to do right by your children and willingness to fight for them and our quit
Sir Derek truly fitting name for someone willing to suppport a newibie as an equal.

All of the others that I have not mentioned please do not take offense or disrespect for not being mentioned here. I have not chatted or spoken with you, we still have many more days of our life long battle together to get to know one another.

As I began this post I am in a reflective place, and thought I should share my thoughts about the past two weeks. I will end with this quote from my youth by the bouncing souls " together we are what we can't be alone"
This is what's it's all about ... summed up nicely on a day 14. This post struck a chord, made my quit stronger ... and for that I thank you! You're a quitter, a damn strong one, and I like it. Keep the toolbox open at all times. Thanks brother!
Lot of strength and introspection from a 14 day dude. My mind was still a jumbled festering pile at 2 weeks. I took longer than the average bear. Very insightful and strong post. Only a couple of items I want to comment on.

Beware of false confidence and large promises by staying small. Your phrase "now a quitter for life"...I know you are still in the euphoria stage but this is a long ass battle. One day, that's it, keep the promise to one day. No way in hell you should be promising anything more. Certainly not a lifetime. It's like in the business world, under promise and over deliver.

Next item you are totally in line with my thinking. Small groups are the 2nd most powerful tenet of the KTC quit behind posting roll daily. Your section addressed to your titan family was heartfelt with admiration for these dudes/dudesses that are there for you. Keep up the small groups. As you get more quit tenure (and my money is on you long term), invite a new quitter in. One one my groups is a bunch of guys in my month and a vet. The other is where I was the new quitter invited in right around where you are now. I love being a part of both of the groups and wouldn't trade them for anything.

You're on the right path and fulling diving in. Good stuff Candoit.
Beware of false confidence and large promises by staying small. Your phrase "now a quitter for life"...I know you are still in the euphoria stage but this is a long ass battle. One day, that's it, keep the promise to one day. No way in hell you should be promising anything more. Certainly not a lifetime. It's like in the business world, under promise and over deliver.

I am aware of the false confince, at this point. But also know myself I need to see both the long and short terms of things. So keeping the eye on the guiding light, ie qft, helps me place the day to day choices and prevents them from becoming meaningless routines. I don't want my quit to become routine.

The words and support of the vets of quit also continue to help ground my lofty goal, with the bitter reality of quitting. But if I listened to all those that said I couldn't I would not be here today.

Done4me I hope this helps you understand quit for life is no some cheap motto, it is a goal in which I work towards everyday. The more people that know my goal, the more that can help support me.
I hear what you're saying, but:

A life long quit is the war. Each day is a new battle. In this war you have to win every single battle. You can't lose a single battle. The war will be lost if you lose today's battle. Win today.

One day at a time is the mantra required for success in this war.

Big bonus of the ODAAT philosophy: Valuing your time. You will learn to value each new day of freedom by soaking in the world with sharpened senses. Senses no longer dulled by nicotine. Enjoy the rest of your free life, ODAAT.
congrats on 2 weeks!
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. ~ Chinese Proverb
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply. ~ Stephen R. Covey

QD 12/29/13
April 2014 Resolute

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Day 14

To my titan family:

This is what's it's all about ... summed up nicely on a day 14. This post struck a chord, made my quit stronger ... and for that I thank you! You're a quitter, a damn strong one, and I like it. Keep the toolbox open at all times. Thanks brother!
Lot of strength and introspection from a 14 day dude. My mind was still a jumbled festering pile at 2 weeks. I took longer than the average bear. Very insightful and strong post. Only a couple of items I want to comment on.

Next item you are totally in line with my thinking. Small groups are the 2nd most powerful tenet of the KTC quit behind posting roll daily. Your section addressed to your titan family was heartfelt with admiration for these dudes/dudesses that are there for you. Keep up the small groups. As you get more quit tenure (and my money is on you long term), invite a new quitter in. One one my groups is a bunch of guys in my month and a vet. The other is where I was the new quitter invited in right around where you are now. I love being a part of both of the groups and wouldn't trade them for anything.

I am aware of the false confince, at this point. But also know myself I need to see both the long and short terms of things. So keeping the eye on the guiding light, ie qft, helps me place the day to day choices and prevents them from becoming meaningless routines. I don't want my quit to become routine.

The words and support of the vets of quit also continue to help ground my lofty goal, with the bitter reality of quitting. But if I listened to all those that said I couldn't I would not be here today.

Done4me I hope this helps you understand quit for life is no some cheap motto, it is a goal in which I work towards everyday. The more people that know my goal, the more that can help support me.
I hear what you're saying, but:

A life long quit is the war. Each day is a new battle. In this war you have to win every single battle. You can't lose a single battle. The war will be lost if you lose today's battle. Win today.

One day at a time is the mantra required for success in this war.

Big bonus of the ODAAT philosophy: Valuing your time. You will learn to value each new day of freedom by soaking in the world with sharpened senses. Senses no longer dulled by nicotine. Enjoy the rest of your free life, ODAAT.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
  • Quit Date: Today
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
Day 14

To my titan family:

There are no circumstances in which using nicotine will improve the outcome.

My journey. The best part it is not over yet.

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Day 14

To my titan family:

Great post. Keep it up.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
  • Interests: Family, Beach, Fishing, BBQ
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Day 14

To my titan family:

Offline Smeds

• Master of Quit
  • The bluebird can sing, but the crow's got the soul
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Day 14

To my titan family:

My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Day 14

To my titan family:

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Day 14

To my titan family:

All of the others that I have not mentioned please do not take offense or disrespect for not being mentioned here. I have not chatted or spoken with you, we still have many more days of our life long battle together.

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Sounds like you are owning it!

Offline Erussell

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2013-04-30
  • Interests: Time with daughter. Anything outdoors.
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 05:44:00 AM »
Day 4 today. The nicotine should be out of your body and now it's mind games. I saw a post you made in October and found it to be profound enough it should go in your thread to remind you how bad you want to be quit and just how much you hate this addition, later down the road. It was in reference to rdad's post of day 1.

( candoit's words to rdad)
We own who we are, we do not ask to be judged, we do not turn away those who seek the support, we hold those accountable for their actions, like they requested by becoming a member.

Life is about choices, I made the choice to quit, and I will make that choice to quit every single minute of the rest of my life. Why because I choose to pick up a tin, instead of cigarettes. That is the choice I made 11 years ago. I am enough of a fucking man to stand by my choices, and ask for support. I am not asking for forgiveness for my own bad choices, I am seeking to forgive myself.

When you rush to the defense of those who broke the KTC law, it insults everyone that follows the law. This does not work because it contains shades of gray in which the weak, feabable minded people can hide behind broken promises to say to the world I am a member, therefore I am doing something to quit. This is built on the premise that it is black and white. Either the nic bitch is bending you over her knee and spanking you like the NY Giants do every time they play the pats, or your spanking the nic bitch like Regan spanked the Cremlin.

Do me a favor and save your sunshine, and rainbow bullshit for someone that believes your cheese whiz ass smells like roses. I know I used a lot of big words and accurate historical facts that will not be believed or validated by Wikipedia or yahoo questions. I may be a quitter but I can think for myself. Do you know what that makes me? A fucking Titan of Quit.
I would rather lose to a cheater than win as a cheater.

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
Great choice to quit. The above bad ass quitters have laid it out for you. Own your quit! You have the power. Read everything on KTC and learn the plan, then live the plan. KTC style quit works. You most certainly can do it! Reach out to any of us if you need anything.

Offline breadherring

• Quitter
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
Quote from: Thumblewort
QFT ^^^^. I lied to my wife the most regarding chewing - I'll quit tomorrow, on my birthday. on her birthday, etc. - so why would I get her support? Instead I talked to her every day the first 2 months until things started to be normal again, and support or no, it helped a bunch. She knew I wasn't dipping, and that's all that mattered to me.
If nothing else, it will help explain why you're more irritable than normal while you're going through the withdrawal. When I finally told my wife about my quit, the first thing she said was, "So that's why you were such an asshole all last week..."

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Quote from: breadherring
I was confronted by my wife this morning. And I have been thinking of quitting, but I find that I can not find the will power to follow through.
Welcome, candoit.

As others have said, you can't do this for someone else. You have to want to quit because YOU want to quit.

Doing it for your wife will get you through the first 12-24 hours, but on about day two or three when her immediate anger has worn off, you'll realize you don't have to actually BE quit, you just have to make her THINK you're quit. And I can tell you from experience, hiding dipping is a lot easier than quitting dipping.

Some advice from someone who's been there: involve your wife in your quit and talk to her about what you're feeling. When I first quit, I thought my wife would be mad if she knew I was struggling, so I just avoided the topic entirely. That's the wrong approach. You need support here AND in real life.
QFT ^^^^. I lied to my wife the most regarding chewing - I'll quit tomorrow, on my birthday. on her birthday, etc. - so why would I get her support? Instead I talked to her every day the first 2 months until things started to be normal again, and support or no, it helped a bunch. She knew I wasn't dipping, and that's all that mattered to me.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline breadherring

• Quitter
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
I was confronted by my wife this morning. And I have been thinking of quitting, but I find that I can not find the will power to follow through.
Welcome, candoit.

As others have said, you can't do this for someone else. You have to want to quit because YOU want to quit.

Doing it for your wife will get you through the first 12-24 hours, but on about day two or three when her immediate anger has worn off, you'll realize you don't have to actually BE quit, you just have to make her THINK you're quit. And I can tell you from experience, hiding dipping is a lot easier than quitting dipping.

Some advice from someone who's been there: involve your wife in your quit and talk to her about what you're feeling. When I first quit, I thought my wife would be mad if she knew I was struggling, so I just avoided the topic entirely. That's the wrong approach. You need support here AND in real life.