Author Topic: My Introduction; ProPhotoMan  (Read 3464 times)

Offline ProPhotoMan

• Likes Given: 0
My Introduction; ProPhotoMan
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Hello Folks,

I am guessing this is where I am going to start on the website. I am a new quitter on what I am going to call day 1, even though Ginet talked me into quitting last night. I have chewed this nasty crap for 38 years and when I saw the post yesterday about one of your members dying, probably from this crap, it caught my attention. I was saddened by the story and given strength because of his strength and courage.

So, where do I start?

My first name is Joe. I live in Iowa with my wife of 29 years (this November). We have 3 sons, two are married, one has been married twice. Each has two children, making me a grandfather (of course). I play the role of grandpa very well and love it. I am a professional photographer and former Pro Rodeo Photographer. This year became so frustrating with photo thefts and lost sales that I had decided to call off the rest of the rodeo season and just relax at home. After a couple of days relaxing, I decided to no longer pursue the rodeo road and have since quit the rodeo industry. I have some comments on rodeos, but I will come back to that in a bit. I have been a photographer since my junior high days (for real). I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran, injured in 2001, just after 9/11, while training with my unit to be mobilized for the war. In 2002, I was board of physical therapy and lounging around home, so I picked up my old film camera and decided to take some photos. I won two national photography contests that year and became a professional photographer. I own my own studio and shoot portraits, weddings, landscape, nature, equine, motorsports, concerts, and commercial photography. I also do some graphic design. I live just 28 miles from the sprint car capital of the world, Knoxville Raceway, where I have photographed many sprint cars and late models. In 2017 I plan to follow a couple of sprint car series. I love my job as a photographer. I am also a Certified Firefighter I, Certified Fire Service Instructor I, and a former EMT-B. I have a dual MBA in Marketing and Public Administration as well.

Rodeo...oh yeah...I am going to throw my two cents into the ring on this sport for a minute. Rodeo is where I started chewing tobacco when I was 11 years old. Sorry Ginet, my math was off last night. Growing up, both in and around the sport all my life, it sickens me to see kids chewing at such a young age and parents who promote it. I thought I was cool after seeing ads on television from Charlie Daniels and Walt Garrison when I was young and involved with rodeo. To be honest, I am surprised that I am still alive. But, I know God has plans for me. When I finally quit this crap for good, I am going to become an advocate against chewing tobacco in rodeos and other sports involving our young people.

I am a man of faith and of God. Some of you may not like that, some may love it. I know that I can beat this once and for all with my wife, family, God, Ginet, Grat, and the rest of your support. Support means a great deal to me. I know I will have days of highs and lows.

I know the next three days are going to be a bumpy ride. I am prepared. I am using Cowboy Coffee Chew as a substitute. It is simply coffee grinds and honey mixed together with a sweetener. 100% nicotine free and 100% tobacco free. And it tastes great. And it is going to help me kick this habit, while my body is getting rid of the toxins and neuro-toxins. I have never been a quitter at anything I have done...until now. I was a Firefighter/EMT prior ot becoming a professional photographer and while I was in the military. Quit wasn't in my vocabulary, because when I quit, people died! Now the shoe is on the other foot and I have to be a quitter, or I will die; die from tobacco use.

I know I will be in the November 2016 quit group. I love to write (Obviously). Honestly, I don't think this will be that bad of a struggle. With me being a photographer, I will be able to buy more photography equipment and there is a sweet lens that I have been trying to afford. When I reflect at chewing 3 tins a week, at a cost of $6.20/can, that's an extra $967.00 a year in my pocket. I also have the power of prayer and God on my side. I have my cowboy coffee chew. Ginet told me about Smokey Mountain, which is nicotine free and if things become a struggle, I might turn to that. I have folks like Ginet, Grat, and the rest of you to depend on. Primarily, I have myself; my life.

Here's to being a quitter...

ProPhotoMan
Joe M.