Author Topic: Just Getting Started  (Read 10333 times)

Offline luby

• Quitting MoFo
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Just Getting Started
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Quote from: jaginvest
Quote from: wastepanel
Quote from: SirDerek
Quote from: per034
tomorrow I hit 100. again. it's different this time around. i don't have the sense of pride. i have more of a realization that it's never over. 100 days. great. big fucking deal. 1,000 days... 10,000 days... 10,000 days is actually just over 27 years. I'll be 66. And I'll still be worried about caving. It never ends. I read a post from MThomas today about a conversation with his wife. It really resonated with me. I was there - except I didn't have a conversation. I had the same mindset he spoke of when he said he need to "leave the hospital" for a while. He was convinced to stick around. I wasn't. When I left, I failed. I didn't reach out to the people who cared about me. My wife. My friends. And most of all my support system here. i wasn't cured. We're never cured. This is a disease that we seek to manage. Not one that we can ever heal.

I appreciate all the support I've been given since I returned. It's come from all over. The Quitheads of August 11 have been tremendous in accepting me back. DChogs and Dante, especially. Others, like Luby, CBird, and Ready - they've been posting support for me from the beginning. I'm really honored by that support. I don't feel like I deserve it, but I'll always remember it. But my history still leaves an open scar. I'll never earn the faith and trust back of other quitters who were my friends and who I betrayed. guys like Souli and Sco... the first time around they were rocks for me. Now I'm invisible to them. And I earned that. I'll never be the quitter I imagined I would be because I failed.

Since I came back I've been, for the most part, inactive. I want to get the HOF behind me because I don't feel like I belong. I'm Pete Rose. I cheated. I'm Shoeless Joe. I disgraced the integrity of this place. I don't deserve the Hall. I understand now how Ed Romero felt when he came back and joined the Quitheads. I never got how he could come back and be silent. But now I get it. We cavers... we need this place; but we don't feel like we really belong again. At least that how I feel. Let this be a cautionary tale for those who are considering a cave. You can return - but you can never come all the way back.

I should be celebrating tomorrow. I don't feel like celebrating though. I'll still be here. But then again, I said that once before. Today I'm here. And today is all that matters.
Hey -

I was going to wait, but I think this needs to be said currently as I read and respond.

First - Keep your head up. You are a Human Being. You are not perfect (Hell neither am I). Yes I have been made to understand that in dealing with the Nic Lady that it is a life or death choice, but you had a slip before, and guess what. As of now you have survived. You came back, and you were a steadfast part of our Oct 12 madmen.

Second - you made it back when you wake up tomorrow. Under any circumtances, 100 days is a good feat and should be celebrated. As you have understood, yes it is not an end but a milestone along the way. If you see the Major League Baseball players they celebrate the division victory but it is not the end of what they are striving for. So treat it as the same, don't discount it.

Am proud to have you in our group, and hope to see you there for the days to come....like getting to that 2nd floor. Be Quit with you.
We're addicts.

We belong.

Learn from your past.
Quit for today.
Fuck tomorrow.

Don't hate yourself because you know what it is to fail. Use your past to inspire and let others know how hard you fall. It's why we're here :accountability. If falling didn't hurt, we'd never get stronger. Some of us have to see firsthand though. It's not ok. It's just a fact.

Set your safeties. Protect your friends. That's all we do here and you're doing it.

I'm proud of you man.

Keep it up, and don't let it happen again.
Bullshit, 100 days is awesome! Doesn't matter what happened last time, this time you are at 100 days. Millions of people haven't started day 1 yet. They are the failures. You swallowed your pride, took your licks and joined the Madmen. And we are glad you are here.

And WE are proud of you and proud to call you brother. Don't give a shit who disowned you last time, keep your eyes down range and on the goal, NEVER GOING BACK. We have had plenty of VETS dis-associate with our group over the past three months, don't put a whole lot of stock in whether or not they approve of what happened. You are here now, and you are quit. That is the only requirement for us in October. Promise us today, keep your word.

Now reach down and straighten your panties, and go share your experience with some new guys. Your story may be the encouragement they need to get through their first day. QLAFM with you, and CONGRATULATIONS BROTHER!!
Read your post last night and started to respond then but I decided to sleep on it, didn't change what I have to say. First off you are welcome for the support, I will do anything to keep you quit, and I will once again reiterate I would not be quit without the advice I got from you early in my quit. Think about that. I am at 448 today, you helped make that happen. I am sorry you are still feeling like you are not all the way back and I don't want to be a dick but that is on you. You have earned your quit every day just like the rest of us and you have chosen not to let yourself be all the way back. You are a damn fine quitter and you have a lot to share, if you do that you will be back and even better than before because you have made the mistake we all fear, you can tell us how to avoid it, you have a ton to offer.
Either way I am glad you are back, congrats on the HoF, you've earned it, you should celebrate.
Damn proud to quit with you all damn day.

Offline jaginvest

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Quote from: wastepanel
tomorrow I hit 100. again. it's different this time around. i don't have the sense of pride. i have more of a realization that it's never over. 100 days. great. big fucking deal. 1,000 days... 10,000 days... 10,000 days is actually just over 27 years. I'll be 66. And I'll still be worried about caving. It never ends. I read a post from MThomas today about a conversation with his wife. It really resonated with me. I was there - except I didn't have a conversation. I had the same mindset he spoke of when he said he need to "leave the hospital" for a while. He was convinced to stick around. I wasn't. When I left, I failed. I didn't reach out to the people who cared about me. My wife. My friends. And most of all my support system here. i wasn't cured. We're never cured. This is a disease that we seek to manage. Not one that we can ever heal.

I appreciate all the support I've been given since I returned. It's come from all over. The Quitheads of August 11 have been tremendous in accepting me back. DChogs and Dante, especially. Others, like Luby, CBird, and Ready - they've been posting support for me from the beginning. I'm really honored by that support. I don't feel like I deserve it, but I'll always remember it. But my history still leaves an open scar. I'll never earn the faith and trust back of other quitters who were my friends and who I betrayed. guys like Souli and Sco... the first time around they were rocks for me. Now I'm invisible to them. And I earned that. I'll never be the quitter I imagined I would be because I failed.

Since I came back I've been, for the most part, inactive. I want to get the HOF behind me because I don't feel like I belong. I'm Pete Rose. I cheated. I'm Shoeless Joe. I disgraced the integrity of this place. I don't deserve the Hall. I understand now how Ed Romero felt when he came back and joined the Quitheads. I never got how he could come back and be silent. But now I get it. We cavers... we need this place; but we don't feel like we really belong again. At least that how I feel. Let this be a cautionary tale for those who are considering a cave. You can return - but you can never come all the way back.

I should be celebrating tomorrow. I don't feel like celebrating though. I'll still be here. But then again, I said that once before. Today I'm here. And today is all that matters.
Hey -

I was going to wait, but I think this needs to be said currently as I read and respond.

First - Keep your head up. You are a Human Being. You are not perfect (Hell neither am I). Yes I have been made to understand that in dealing with the Nic Lady that it is a life or death choice, but you had a slip before, and guess what. As of now you have survived. You came back, and you were a steadfast part of our Oct 12 madmen.

Second - you made it back when you wake up tomorrow. Under any circumtances, 100 days is a good feat and should be celebrated. As you have understood, yes it is not an end but a milestone along the way. If you see the Major League Baseball players they celebrate the division victory but it is not the end of what they are striving for. So treat it as the same, don't discount it.

Am proud to have you in our group, and hope to see you there for the days to come....like getting to that 2nd floor. Be Quit with you.
We're addicts.

We belong.

Learn from your past.
Quit for today.
Fuck tomorrow.

Don't hate yourself because you know what it is to fail. Use your past to inspire and let others know how hard you fall. It's why we're here :accountability. If falling didn't hurt, we'd never get stronger. Some of us have to see firsthand though. It's not ok. It's just a fact.

Set your safeties. Protect your friends. That's all we do here and you're doing it.

I'm proud of you man.

Bullshit, 100 days is awesome! Doesn't matter what happened last time, this time you are at 100 days. Millions of people haven't started day 1 yet. They are the failures. You swallowed your pride, took your licks and joined the Madmen. And we are glad you are here.

And WE are proud of you and proud to call you brother. Don't give a shit who disowned you last time, keep your eyes down range and on the goal, NEVER GOING BACK. We have had plenty of VETS dis-associate with our group over the past three months, don't put a whole lot of stock in whether or not they approve of what happened. You are here now, and you are quit. That is the only requirement for us in October. Promise us today, keep your word.

Now reach down and straighten your panties, and go share your experience with some new guys. Your story may be the encouragement they need to get through their first day. QLAFM with you, and CONGRATULATIONS BROTHER!!
Quit Date: 06/26/2012 3rd Floor: 04/21/2013
HOF Date: 10/03/2012 4th Floor: 07/30/2013
2nd Floor: 01/11/2013 5th Floor: 11/07/2013
6th Floor: 02/15/2014 7th Floor: 05/26/2014
8th Floor: 09/03/2014 9th Floor: 12/12/2014
10th Floor: 03/22/2015

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »

Hey -

We're addicts.

We belong.

Learn from your past.
Quit for today.
Fuck tomorrow.

I'm proud of you man.

In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »

Hey -

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »

The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
Quote from: Skoal
Quote from: Souliman
Quote from: Coach
Quote from: Scowick65
Quote from: Luby
Quote from: 30yrAddict
.... Fuck when a quitter I think is strong turns out to be weak, where does that leave me?
Luby,

It leaves you more vigilant, stronger and more protective of your own quit.

You quit like a rockstar. Keep up the good work.

As we all know, the first few days of a quit are all about determination. As the days pass the quit requires less attention, less determination. The nic bitch watches patiently at this time, waiting for the opportune moment to capitalize on complacency. Waiting for you to forget about the types of lies she uses (" come on, what will it hurt? you can have just one, you've been quit ___ days....") As loot says "the day you forget- you lose"

Per thought that he was a special butterfly, that he could control his quit, and eventually control his addiction. His story is just like so many others here. Surprising that he was taken down so easily, by such cliche lies of addiction? Perhaps... but perhaps not. The nic bitch has lured quitters back after thousands of days with those same lies. If we assume that we are immune, we do so at our own peril.

None of us are special butterflies, we are addicts, and we will be the rest of our lives. We will always have to protect our quit, to remind ourselves that we are addicts, and that there is no "just one" ever again. Sometimes we will have to fight complacency, to continue to post when it seems to be nothing but a chore. But that promise will keep us quit, so it is worth whatever effort it costs.
30 I am all good. To tell ya the truth I hadn't thought of per in a long time. But he was the most important advice giver early for me and I thought he was a rock. His cave made me stronger just as others have. I pm'd per to let him know I am not gonna attack him. I still owe him for all his help, and I want him quit so that is where I am at.
I was a little shook that night and the support I got because of simple post in this intro thread reconfirmed everything I love about this community.
So 30 thanks I'm good. Per we got this today. I'll quit with you today.
Luby,

You are a bad ass. Your quit shall not be weakened. Stay the course. You will never regret quitting.
Peepers,

You can stare at me any time you want.

Love,

Coach Steve
Are you fucking kidding me Luby? Don't you fucking start to contemplate the depths of your conviction. You have balls of steel.

The train has not come off the tracks. To assume that anyone of us is beyond the lure of using would be foolish. We're addicts. It doesn't stop. The thing that can stop is the fight, the absolute belief that YOU ARE WORTH MORE.
Old post, still relevant

91 days is huge, but it's just a start. YOur going to have good and bad days. You WILL still make up reasons why you need to dip. At least I do. Funny thing is you'll recognize your own bs. I can actually laugh at myself now when I think " I'm really stressed out, maybe I should have a dip" it used to piss me off that I still thought like that, now, although annoying , its just lame. I don't know about the future but I think I may have that little whisper for a long time, maybe forever. I have decided that's ok. It is the price I have to pay because I started dipping in the first place. Kind of like a physical scar from some dumbass thing I did as a kid. Only this scar is a mental one .

The guys that cave after 100 or even 1,000 forget. They forget that they're addicts. They forget that the whisper is never going away. They forget how hard it was to get to 100 days clean. I am still getting better at catching myself rationalizing why I could or should dip again. Mostly because I watch the new guys saying the same stupid shit, only they believe it still. I think I win in the end, as long as I stay quit one day at a time, I'll keep healing.

I dipped for 8,000 plus days. My 479 kicks ass, but 8,000 days of dipping is a long time . It will take a bit to unlearn all that shit. It'll take a bit to learn who the hell I am without dip. Smokey once said "Bout time we start reclaiming control of other aspects of our lives and choices, eh? Hate to break it to you Octopussies, but this isn't just about quitting nicotine."

In my opinion it is also about letting go of an imaginary crutch and learning how to run without it, and Smoke is right about reclaiming control of our lives and choices. This is one of my favorite quotes, because it really puts the shit in perspective.

sm
Another oldie, but still applies

Fuck, I never even talked to you, but anybody that caves after that long used to seriously fuck with my mind. Including Ray Ray at 800 plus. Until I wrapped my head around this little gem with the help of SmokeyG. If you forget your an addict your fucked.Just don't forget. SAY IT WITH ME CLASS " I CANT HAVE JUST ONE BECAUSE ONE IS TOO MANY AND A MILLION ISNT ENOUGH, I AM A ADDICT"

Pain fades, cancer fear fades, that feeling of hopeless addiction fades, memory of the suck fades. The addiction itself, that doesn't fade. It is as strong as it was on day one.

You newbies see if you can remember this analogy. Imagine your an apprentice lion tamer, you slowly learn where to stand and how to use the whip and the stool to keep those man eating S.O.B's off your fat ass. Slowly your going to get better at it. At 319 I'm no longer a novice. I could use the whip to make those kittens do the Irish fucking River dance. They're no longer lions to me but safe lil kitty cats. Except one day you forget how dangerous those fuckers are. You walk into the lion cage and forget your whip, you forget the stool, you put on a pair of bacon underoos. Guess what the lil kittens do? They turn back into lions and eat your stupid ass underoos and all. Complacency leads to failure.

sM

For reference to Smokey from me,
Thoughts on Ray Ray. 800 day quitter caves with no real explanation. WTF . When are you safe? is it a frame of mind nurtured somehow to where you are less likely to succumb or are you never safe and must remain on constant watch forever?

I'd like your thoughts . or a group think in 295. Just sayin.

Sm
and the reply
Sorry man - this is forever. All that means is never forgetting you are an addict. RayRay just forgot.  (SmokeyG)
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Quote from: Souliman
.... Fuck when a quitter I think is strong turns out to be weak, where does that leave me?
Luby,

As we all know, the first few days of a quit are all about determination. As the days pass the quit requires less attention, less determination. The nic bitch watches patiently at this time, waiting for the opportune moment to capitalize on complacency. Waiting for you to forget about the types of lies she uses (" come on, what will it hurt? you can have just one, you've been quit ___ days....") As loot says "the day you forget- you lose"

Per thought that he was a special butterfly, that he could control his quit, and eventually control his addiction. His story is just like so many others here. Surprising that he was taken down so easily, by such cliche lies of addiction? Perhaps... but perhaps not. The nic bitch has lured quitters back after thousands of days with those same lies. If we assume that we are immune, we do so at our own peril.

None of us are special butterflies, we are addicts, and we will be the rest of our lives. We will always have to protect our quit, to remind ourselves that we are addicts, and that there is no "just one" ever again. Sometimes we will have to fight complacency, to continue to post when it seems to be nothing but a chore. But that promise will keep us quit, so it is worth whatever effort it costs.
30 I am all good. To tell ya the truth I hadn't thought of per in a long time. But he was the most important advice giver early for me and I thought he was a rock. His cave made me stronger just as others have. I pm'd per to let him know I am not gonna attack him. I still owe him for all his help, and I want him quit so that is where I am at.
I was a little shook that night and the support I got because of simple post in this intro thread reconfirmed everything I love about this community.
Luby,

You are a bad ass. Your quit shall not be weakened. Stay the course. You will never regret quitting.
Peepers,

Love,

Coach Steve
Are you fucking kidding me Luby? Don't you fucking start to contemplate the depths of your conviction. You have balls of steel.

The train has not come off the tracks. To assume that anyone of us is beyond the lure of using would be foolish. We're addicts. It doesn't stop. The thing that can stop is the fight, the absolute belief that YOU ARE WORTH MORE.
Old post, still relevant

91 days is huge, but it's just a start. YOur going to have good and bad days. You WILL still make up reasons why you need to dip. At least I do. Funny thing is you'll recognize your own bs. I can actually laugh at myself now when I think " I'm really stressed out, maybe I should have a dip" it used to piss me off that I still thought like that, now, although annoying , its just lame. I don't know about the future but I think I may have that little whisper for a long time, maybe forever. I have decided that's ok. It is the price I have to pay because I started dipping in the first place. Kind of like a physical scar from some dumbass thing I did as a kid. Only this scar is a mental one .

The guys that cave after 100 or even 1,000 forget. They forget that they're addicts. They forget that the whisper is never going away. They forget how hard it was to get to 100 days clean. I am still getting better at catching myself rationalizing why I could or should dip again. Mostly because I watch the new guys saying the same stupid shit, only they believe it still. I think I win in the end, as long as I stay quit one day at a time, I'll keep healing.

I dipped for 8,000 plus days. My 479 kicks ass, but 8,000 days of dipping is a long time . It will take a bit to unlearn all that shit. It'll take a bit to learn who the hell I am without dip. Smokey once said "Bout time we start reclaiming control of other aspects of our lives and choices, eh? Hate to break it to you Octopussies, but this isn't just about quitting nicotine."

In my opinion it is also about letting go of an imaginary crutch and learning how to run without it, and Smoke is right about reclaiming control of our lives and choices. This is one of my favorite quotes, because it really puts the shit in perspective.

sm
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Luby,

Luby,

Peepers,

Love,

Coach Steve

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Cuts Reay.

Checked messages... None. No missed calls.

woulda walked ten miles brother

Offline Coach Steve

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Being quit. Staying quit. Pretty much just quitting like fuck.
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Luby,

Luby,

Peepers,

Love,

Coach Steve
Make Your Decision

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Luby,

Luby,

Offline luby

• Quitting MoFo
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Luby,

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Quote from: husker06484
i've let so many people down with my cave and weakened so many quits.
Per you make me laugh....I havent said a word about your cave. I will say it was dissappointing but if you are that stupid then so be it....

But you honestly believe you have weakened so many quits.....So you cave and all these other badass quitters are going to cave now because you did. Difference between you and them they have the sac to realize what they are. I understand there is never another visit to an "old friend" You are not special and get over your self. You didnt weaken anyones quit and if you of all people did, then how strong are those quits you are weakening????

Husker-Day 472
that's fair husker. i'm not special. i don't believe my situation is some spectacular event that changed the cosmos. i'm a caver. there are thousands of them who have come to and gone from this site. i'm just acknowleding the pm's i've gotten making that statement. i understand that some feel i've weakened their quit, and others feel my cave is just some bullshit story and it had no impact on thier quit. i'm just here to quit today. that's all.

i'm not special. i never claimed to be.
Ok Per...

Maybe I just look at it differently...My quit is my quit..No one will effect it more than me. Keep your head on straight, learn from the idiotic decision you made and quit one day at a time. We are quit for today and thats a great thing.
amen to that. quit with you today husker.
The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline husker06484

• Quit Pro
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
i've let so many people down with my cave and weakened so many quits.
Per you make me laugh....I havent said a word about your cave. I will say it was dissappointing but if you are that stupid then so be it....

But you honestly believe you have weakened so many quits.....So you cave and all these other badass quitters are going to cave now because you did. Difference between you and them they have the sac to realize what they are. I understand there is never another visit to an "old friend" You are not special and get over your self. You didnt weaken anyones quit and if you of all people did, then how strong are those quits you are weakening????

Husker-Day 472
that's fair husker. i'm not special. i don't believe my situation is some spectacular event that changed the cosmos. i'm a caver. there are thousands of them who have come to and gone from this site. i'm just acknowleding the pm's i've gotten making that statement. i understand that some feel i've weakened their quit, and others feel my cave is just some bullshit story and it had no impact on thier quit. i'm just here to quit today. that's all.

i'm not special. i never claimed to be.
Ok Per...

Maybe I just look at it differently...My quit is my quit..No one will effect it more than me. Keep your head on straight, learn from the idiotic decision you made and quit one day at a time. We are quit for today and thats a great thing.

Offline carumba10

• Quitter
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
everyone who posted roll today is quit. nobody is quit tomorrow. i was quit. on the morning of june 10 i was quit.

Semantics

Everyone that posts roll isn't quit. They are promising not to use that day.

You didn't use June 9. You were quit for that day. You weren't quit June 10. You used. Your own logic agrees with this because you didn't want to post on the same day you used. A cave and a quit can't occur on the same day.
Quit Date: March 23 2012

I am Quit today. Tomorrow ?
Not impressed with rants from the 'Do As I Say Not As I Do' crowd.