Author Topic: New to the site  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to the site
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Quote from: brettlees
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
Quote from: slinger
22 days into my quit and things have actually gone pretty smoothly, until last night. It hasn't been easy, but it's been manageable for the last couple of weeks. Anyway, last night I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I don't go to the store very often anymore, but I will if need be. I brought my stuff to the checkout counter and right behind the cashier is the giant wall of tobacco. I've been there a handful of times since I quit and it didn't really bother me. For some reason, last night I honed right in on my former brand. I just stared at it. Then I started having those fucked up thoughts. You know the ones I mean. "It would be so easy to just ask for a can right now". "Why the fuck am I quitting anyway?" My mind really started to play games with me. Before I knew it, I started breathing faster and I felt my face get hot. It was the closest I think I've ever come to having a full blown fucking panic attack. Finally, I just shook my head and reminded myself that I made a promise that morning to myself and my quit brothers. I paid for my shit and left the store.....without a can of cope.

This little episode reminded me how fragile our quit really is, and how important ktc is. If it wasn't for the time I've spent here and the connections I've made, there's no doubt I would have bought a can and stuffed my face full of that nasty shit. I said all that to say this. This system works. It got me through the worst crave I've had so far and I'm sure it will again. I'm honored to be quitting with all of you today. Thanks.
Good post brother. It's okay to yell obscenities at the wall of death when you are in the store. The cashier might think you're nuts but you shouldn't get arrested.
Hey NICE victory Slinger! One more crave trigger killed!
Atta boy slinger! Nice victory. Congrats on 22 days! You are winning the war today.

That is how this works... All is well then out of nowhere it will hit you. A major crave. You handled it perfectly today... You relaxed, remained composed, remembered you commitment and you walked away. Textbook.

I'm quit with you all day long.
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
22 days into my quit and things have actually gone pretty smoothly, until last night. It hasn't been easy, but it's been manageable for the last couple of weeks. Anyway, last night I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I don't go to the store very often anymore, but I will if need be. I brought my stuff to the checkout counter and right behind the cashier is the giant wall of tobacco. I've been there a handful of times since I quit and it didn't really bother me. For some reason, last night I honed right in on my former brand. I just stared at it. Then I started having those fucked up thoughts. You know the ones I mean. "It would be so easy to just ask for a can right now". "Why the fuck am I quitting anyway?" My mind really started to play games with me. Before I knew it, I started breathing faster and I felt my face get hot. It was the closest I think I've ever come to having a full blown fucking panic attack. Finally, I just shook my head and reminded myself that I made a promise that morning to myself and my quit brothers. I paid for my shit and left the store.....without a can of cope.

This little episode reminded me how fragile our quit really is, and how important ktc is. If it wasn't for the time I've spent here and the connections I've made, there's no doubt I would have bought a can and stuffed my face full of that nasty shit. I said all that to say this. This system works. It got me through the worst crave I've had so far and I'm sure it will again. I'm honored to be quitting with all of you today. Thanks.
Good post brother. It's okay to yell obscenities at the wall of death when you are in the store. The cashier might think you're nuts but you shouldn't get arrested.
Hey NICE victory Slinger! One more crave trigger killed!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »

Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline slinger

• Quitter
  • Interests: My wife and two sons, sports, hunting, fishing, and quitting.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »

We are what we repeatedly do. ~ Aristotle

Quit or get off the pot, Sally. ~ Diesel2112

The way I see it, you can either post roll daily or fuck off. ~ jost2brown

Bam! Right in the ass! ~ MonsterEMT

Quit Date: 3/4/14
HOF Date: 6/11/14
2nd Floor: 9/19/14
HOF Speech

Offline Doc Chewfree

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2014-02-06
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Quote from: Krusty
Just posted day 10, so I thought this would be a good time to update. I know it's only 10 days so far, but it feels huge. Before I came to KTC, I had myself convinced I couldn't quit. Now I know I'm going to quit...every day. The thing that really struck me over the past 10 days is how you really don't realize what a slave you are to the nic while you are doing it. I thought chewing was just something I did..like a hobby. Now I'm beginning to see that chewing wasn't just something I did, it was who I was. Every waking moment of my day revolved around it. Plotting and scheming, and making up excuses to go to the store so I could buy a can. Finishing one chew only to start planning the next one.  Anyway, I don't need to tell you guys what this feels like. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about. I guess I just wanted to share what I've learned in my first 10 days as a quitter. Thanks again for the support and the inspiration.
Great post, Slinger -- always enlightening to look in the mirror (via other people's posts..."OPP"...ugh) a few times a day to remind ourselves why we post roll, spend time on the site, reach out to others, etc. You've got a great mindset and routine that are taking place of the old ones -- keep it up, bro. Stay strong, quit on.
Good quit Slinger. Keep kickin the nic bitch in the balls!
Quit with you!
Brave men are honored, rich men are envied, powerful men are feared, but only a man with character is trusted
Quit on Feb. 6, 2014

Offline rothstein57

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 05:23:00 AM »
Keep it up brother. Nic might not want to admit it, but you're winning right now.

Offline Krusty

• Quitter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 02:47:00 AM »
Just posted day 10, so I thought this would be a good time to update. I know it's only 10 days so far, but it feels huge. Before I came to KTC, I had myself convinced I couldn't quit. Now I know I'm going to quit...every day. The thing that really struck me over the past 10 days is how you really don't realize what a slave you are to the nic while you are doing it. I thought chewing was just something I did..like a hobby. Now I'm beginning to see that chewing wasn't just something I did, it was who I was. Every waking moment of my day revolved around it. Plotting and scheming, and making up excuses to go to the store so I could buy a can. Finishing one chew only to start planning the next one. Anyway, I don't need to tell you guys what this feels like. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about. I guess I just wanted to share what I've learned in my first 10 days as a quitter. Thanks again for the support and the inspiration.
Great post, Slinger -- always enlightening to look in the mirror (via other people's posts..."OPP"...ugh) a few times a day to remind ourselves why we post roll, spend time on the site, reach out to others, etc. You've got a great mindset and routine that are taking place of the old ones -- keep it up, bro. Stay strong, quit on.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Quote from: LeonardThompson
Just posted day 10, so I thought this would be a good time to update. I know it's only 10 days so far, but it feels huge. Before I came to KTC, I had myself convinced I couldn't quit. Now I know I'm going to quit...every day. The thing that really struck me over the past 10 days is how you really don't realize what a slave you are to the nic while you are doing it. I thought chewing was just something I did..like a hobby. Now I'm beginning to see that chewing wasn't just something I did, it was who I was. Every waking moment of my day revolved around it. Plotting and scheming, and making up excuses to go to the store so I could buy a can. Finishing one chew only to start planning the next one.  Anyway, I don't need to tell you guys what this feels like. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about. I guess I just wanted to share what I've learned in my first 10 days as a quitter. Thanks again for the support and the inspiration.
Don't bother with the "I don't need to tell you guys what this feels like. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about."

You're absolutely right, we do. But...it still helps to get it out there. You get to vent a little, and other new guys get to see that someone else is going through the exact same thing.

Nice quit dude. Let's get this. I'm quitting with you today.
You summed it up nicely slinger. This is what addicts do. Plan, plan, plan for the next fix. Bring the quit...bring the freedom.

Offline LeonardThompson

• Quitter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Just posted day 10, so I thought this would be a good time to update. I know it's only 10 days so far, but it feels huge. Before I came to KTC, I had myself convinced I couldn't quit. Now I know I'm going to quit...every day. The thing that really struck me over the past 10 days is how you really don't realize what a slave you are to the nic while you are doing it. I thought chewing was just something I did..like a hobby. Now I'm beginning to see that chewing wasn't just something I did, it was who I was. Every waking moment of my day revolved around it. Plotting and scheming, and making up excuses to go to the store so I could buy a can. Finishing one chew only to start planning the next one. Anyway, I don't need to tell you guys what this feels like. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about. I guess I just wanted to share what I've learned in my first 10 days as a quitter. Thanks again for the support and the inspiration.
Don't bother with the "I don't need to tell you guys what this feels like. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about."

You're absolutely right, we do. But...it still helps to get it out there. You get to vent a little, and other new guys get to see that someone else is going through the exact same thing.

Nice quit dude. Let's get this. I'm quitting with you today.

Offline indianacop

• Quitter
    • www.facebook.com
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
10 days is awesome bro! Keep going at it one day at a time. We're all here and in this together. If you need anything man, feel free to get a hold of me.
Quit Date ~ 3/7/2014
Own it or be owned.
One day at a time.

Offline MonsterMedic

• Master of Quit
  • Proud member of the June 2014 Quit Saloon
  • Quit Date: 03.02.14
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
Nice work. 10 days is no joke. You are on the path to freedom. Stay focused on ODAAT.
I'm at 12 days. Stay focused. Quitting with you One Day At A Time.
"Frank Pierce: Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world." - Bringing Out The Dead

Quit Date: 03-02-2014
HOF: 06-09-2014
3K and counting

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 05:35:00 AM »
Nice work. 10 days is no joke. You are on the path to freedom. Stay focused on ODAAT.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Raider

• Quit Pro
  • Imma Quitter
  • Quit Date: Feb 28, 2014
  • Interests: Fishing, Camping, Kayaking, but mainly spending time with the family and friends.
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 04:04:00 AM »
I update my Intro daily so I have a journal of my daily walk with being quit. It gives me something to look back on and realize that I never, ever want to go through these first few weeks ever again. Congrats on making it to the double digits. Freedom from nic is like total freedom. It is AWESOME!!!

Offline slinger

• Quitter
  • Interests: My wife and two sons, sports, hunting, fishing, and quitting.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 03:39:00 AM »
We are what we repeatedly do. ~ Aristotle

Quit or get off the pot, Sally. ~ Diesel2112

The way I see it, you can either post roll daily or fuck off. ~ jost2brown

Bam! Right in the ass! ~ MonsterEMT

Quit Date: 3/4/14
HOF Date: 6/11/14
2nd Floor: 9/19/14
HOF Speech

Offline Krusty

• Quitter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:00 AM »
Hello. I found this site earlier today while I was working. I am 42 years old and have been chewing tobacco in some form for about 22 years. I'm also a husband and a father of two boys. For most of my tobacco chewing career, I was going through at least a can a day. Probably more in some cases. I stopped using for a month about fifteen years ago. Other than that, I have lied to myself and planned on quitting when the time was right. I'll quit next week, or after hunting season, or after this can is empty, or tomorrow. I can't tell you how many times I've quit tomorrow. Obviously, tomorrow never came because here I am. I am tired of lying to my wife and kids about the fact that I'm trying to quit. I may have been trying, but not very hard. I'm tired of breaking promises to them and listening to my children beg me to quit. I'm tired of them telling me they don't want my face to fall off. I want to be around for them. If I'm being honest, I'm probably most tired of the constant, daily struggle that takes place within my own head. Making false promises and lying to myself. Trying to convince myself that it will be easy to quit when I decide the time is right. Well, I dumped half a can into the garbage about two hours ago. I've tried it by myself, and as you folks know, it doesn't work. I want to be done with it starting now. Thanks for your time, and this site.
Welcome aboard, Slinger. Great to see you've taken the first step in demonstrating that you're committed to your quit by posting a thoughtful intro. The next step puts action to words: join and post roll to your new quit group (June 2014). Here's how: index.php?showtopic=50

All we ask is that you give us your word, one day at a time (ODAAT), that you won't use nicotine in any form. In return, we'll keep you accountable, provide as much support as needed, and guarantee that you'll never be quitting alone on any given day.

Look forward to seeing you post roll in the June quit group, and PM me if you need a number for support, etc.