Author Topic: T minus one day  (Read 3337 times)

Offline ndrooster1

• Quitter
  • Interests: Historical reinactments from 1750 -1840Hunting big game, sharptail grouse, pheasants, ducks, geese, coyotes, some trappingReading and doing historical research. geneology, member of several muzzleloader /historical organizationsCamping
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: T minus one day
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I've found a place that is more congruent with my approach so this'll be my last visit here. Good luck and congrats to you all.
WEll quitnow may never read this post because he says this was his last visit but I want to extend him a good luck with his other group and if need be -- remember -- you really ain't left here so if need be come back. Rooster

Offline Quitnow

• Quitter
  • Interests: Triathlons, Playstation 3 games
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
So far so good. In middle of second day free of Skoal Demon. Major urges today when I went to a truck stop on the road with a huge layout of Skoal behind the counter. Mouth watering, but I was able to escape with just a candy bar.

I've found a place that is more congruent with my approach so this'll be my last visit here. Good luck and congrats to you all.

Offline justquit

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
The reason all of those secondary characteristics have such meaning to you is because they were reinforced with the effects of the nicotine. Using the gum will just create a new "ritual". If you drop the nic then the reinforcement is gone and those other habits can go away. Or at least you can use fake chew, seeds, etc to fulfill them.

Offline Josh

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 01/06/2019
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Hey, I didn't know Robert Fripp was in here! Love the avatar slug. I also agree. Cold Turkey. The rest is delaying the agony. Do it and get it over with.

Offline slug

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing/boating Music, guitar, British cars.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
To continue use of the drug which one is addicted to isn't quitting. Sorry.
Get busy livin, or get busy dyin.

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
I started my quit using a plan similar to yours: patches for about a month to "take the edge off". After 12 days on the patches, I posted a question similar to yours regarding posting roll call while on nicotine replacement, and got the advice to drop the nicotine replacement and go cold turkey. So... I said "fuck it" and went for it. I was scared shitless, but I haven't regretted it one bit.

I think the patches were a good idea, but only as a device to get started. I think a week is about right, then drop it. I don't think the nic gum is a good idea at all, as it doesn't do anything to break the up and down cycle of nicotine addiction.

One thing I thought was very helpful, both on the step from chew to patches and from patches to nothing, was starting a stopwatch and keeping it running. Any time I was going through a withdrawal or craving, I would look at the watch and say to myself "I have 18 hours done already (or 24, or 50, etc), I don't ever want to go through those hours again. Quitting will never be any easier than it is right now."

Do whatever it takes to get started, just GET STARTED and keep the shit out of your mouth. It's really not that bad once you really commit yourself to doing it. I only have six days off of the nicotine (18 days off of the chew) and I already feel better than I have in the past 12 years on a can-a-day-plus cope habit.

Offline Quitnow

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Quote from: slug
Good decision on quitting, but nicotine gum isn't the way. There's only ONE way. Stop using tobacco and nicotine. THAT is quitting. Yes. One day at a time is the way we roll around here.
I think this forum isn't for me. Your way seems to have helped so congratulations and I hope you'll wish me well even if I am using a different strategy. I don't want to end up arguing with people as it is counterproductive when what I need is support for the program I am following.

Good day and good luck.

Offline slug

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing/boating Music, guitar, British cars.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Tomorrow is my planned quit day. I'm freaking nervous. I've prepared by talking to a counselor, getting a 'quit nicotine' hotline phone number, getting rid of all my chew accessories, joining up here (tomorrow I will join the March 2009 group (unless I can't--see below), and starting a blog to help me stay accountable.

I chose tomorrow to quit as I will be very busy the next three days, which I know from experience are the hardest days to stay off the evil leaves, the tooth staining demon can. I just do better stopping when I am keeping busy.

I am not just nervous, but excited. I want this demon off my back. I need to remember a day at a time. I'm not quitting for good, but for today. (Well, at least tomorrow I'll be quitting for today :)).

I plan to use nicotine gum to take the edge off for the first month, and am not sure if that means I can't join a group here. If not, that's disappointing as I like this forum, but I should know now so I can find another interactive resource for the next month. I look at my chew addiction as having multiple dimensions. The biggest is the nicotine, clearly. Then there are all the habits that go along with the Skoal--the rush of buying a can. Busting open the can and putting in the dip. The spitting (gross, but I have come to like that for some reason). All the secondary crap that I am so attached to. Rather than give up all at the same time I want to get rid of those secondary habits and create a life context without them, but still with the nicotine monster on my back that I can give up independently. Yes, that means I'd still be hooked on nicotine so I have a 'phase withdrawal' scheduled for that.

At any rate, that's my plan, and if it is incompatible with joining one of the groups then I may come back in a month when I quit the gum (and I am under no illusions that will be trivial, even with all the chew-specific contextual aspects gone).

Good decision on quitting, but nicotine gum isn't the way. There's only ONE way. Stop using tobacco and nicotine. THAT is quitting. Yes. One day at a time is the way we roll around here.
Get busy livin, or get busy dyin.

Offline Quitnow

• Quitter
T minus one day
« on: January 17, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Tomorrow is my planned quit day. I'm freaking nervous. I've prepared by talking to a counselor, getting a 'quit nicotine' hotline phone number, getting rid of all my chew accessories, joining up here (tomorrow I will join the March 2009 group (unless I can't--see below), and starting a blog to help me stay accountable.

I chose tomorrow to quit as I will be very busy the next three days, which I know from experience are the hardest days to stay off the evil leaves, the tooth staining demon can. I just do better stopping when I am keeping busy.

I am not just nervous, but excited. I want this demon off my back. I need to remember a day at a time. I'm not quitting for good, but for today. (Well, at least tomorrow I'll be quitting for today :)).

I plan to use nicotine gum to take the edge off for the first month, and am not sure if that means I can't join a group here. If not, that's disappointing as I like this forum, but I should know now so I can find another interactive resource for the next month. I look at my chew addiction as having multiple dimensions. The biggest is the nicotine, clearly. Then there are all the habits that go along with the Skoal--the rush of buying a can. Busting open the can and putting in the dip. The spitting (gross, but I have come to like that for some reason). All the secondary crap that I am so attached to. Rather than give up all at the same time I want to get rid of those secondary habits and create a life context without them, but still with the nicotine monster on my back that I can give up independently. Yes, that means I'd still be hooked on nicotine so I have a 'phase withdrawal' scheduled for that.

At any rate, that's my plan, and if it is incompatible with joining one of the groups then I may come back in a month when I quit the gum (and I am under no illusions that will be trivial, even with all the chew-specific contextual aspects gone).