Author Topic: Newish to quitting  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Radman

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Family and friends. Other than that, anything outdoors....motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, racing.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Newish to quitting
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Quote from: akhillbille
I'm lucky enough to have a wife and three little girls that bug me everyday about it.
It's good to have family support, but I gotta caution you about that. I've posted it here before, but it's worth saying again. During your quit, you will experience wild emotional swings. I guarantee it, and I speak from experience. Your withdrawals will cause you to lash out. If your family is constantly bugging you about it, they will become the focus of your rage. That is unacceptable, and YOU have to stop that from happening. Our families did not force us to become addicts, so they do not deserve any suffering. Let us be the bad guys. Bring your ranting here, we can take it. Just leave the innocents out of this battle.

After I told my wife what was going on and showed her this page, her support was priceless. On many occassions, she intervened when she saw me loosing my temper with the kids. I initially quit because of my kids, but they were kept well clear of the fallout.

I'm not sure this post even made sense, but I tried.

Offline akhillbille

• Quitter
    • www.arcticoffroad.com
  • Interests: Offroading, Hunting, Fishing, almost anything outdoors with my family.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
Quote from: Wt57
Lets get building that quit. If you can't get to a computer text a fellow quitter they can post for you!  No excuses work! There is always a answer.

You are 100% correct. No excuses. I learned that a long time ago. I will stay on it. I promise. This is important to me. I'll just be sure to get up with enough time to get on here. Evenings aren't usually a problem. Reading through other posts as well is definitely helping.

Today was a good day until I decided to finally finish our taxes. I really should've done those before I quit. Then again a good challenge is always nice. Normally when I'm sitting around doing things like that is when it used to be the worse time to not a have a chew in. Suprisingly made it through the ordeal ok.

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65
Wow. Thanks for the support guys. I never thought of myself as a support group person but I also realize when I can use help and when I can help others. Having those that will help support you with more than the atta boys is nice. I'm lucky enough to have a wife and three little girls that bug me everyday about it. I will post on roll call. Guess I need to wake up a little earlier so I can do it early in the day. Sometimes I don't get around a computer to late in the day. But now I have a good reason for getting on real quick in the morning. It is a good self reminder.
Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise
Lets get building that quit. If you can't get to a computer text a fellow quitter they can post for you! No excuses work! There is always a answer.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the support guys. I never thought of myself as a support group person but I also realize when I can use help and when I can help others. Having those that will help support you with more than the atta boys is nice. I'm lucky enough to have a wife and three little girls that bug me everyday about it. I will post on roll call. Guess I need to wake up a little earlier so I can do it early in the day. Sometimes I don't get around a computer to late in the day. But now I have a good reason for getting on real quick in the morning. It is a good self reminder.
Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise

Offline akhillbille

• Quitter
    • www.arcticoffroad.com
  • Interests: Offroading, Hunting, Fishing, almost anything outdoors with my family.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »

Offline Radman

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Family and friends. Other than that, anything outdoors....motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, racing.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Welcome. Seems like you've figured the site out. That's easy, but quitting is a much bigger learning curve. My mindset had to completely change, and that takes a while. Get involved. Make some friends. Get some numbers. Text/call some quitters. I like that you've been posting on FB. That's a good idea, but those friends are what I call attaboy supporters. They'll hand you an "attaboy" when you post something good. The problem is that if you miss a day, they will likely do nothing. KTC, on the other hand, is comprised of a bunch of folks that will hound your ass to no end if you miss a day. That's accountability you can't buy. That's what I needed. Lots of accountability from a bunch of folks who know what my addict brain is capable of. Turns out that some of them have become good friends. For the record, some of them are attaboy FB types too.

Offline jaynellie

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: being a good husband a good dad, riding our quads at the dunes, watching my children turn into adults
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Welcome to KTC,pull up a chair and get comfy.You've figured out how to post roll excellent,this is the foundation to your quit.I recommend posting early in the day to take using Nic off the table ASAP.Water,gum,seeds whatever it takes to keep you going,my personal favorite Jolly Ranchers :wub: .PM if you need anything
"You never have to remember what you said, if you always tell the truth"

"Post roll everyday and your chances of staying quit goes up 100%" --mememe

Offline kkljinc

• Quitter
  • Interests: I love to workout, RUN, and Weights. Hunter and a Fisherman. Golf is my passion.Wife and kids keep me busy.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Well I fiugred out the roll call and like that. I've been posting everyday on my Facebook what day I'm on and how it's going. Getting great support from friends and family. One thing I found that made it difficult the first couple days was I didn't really want to quit. I wasn't quitting for me but instead to make other people happy. After just a few days though I've realized I want to quit. This I think is making it a little easier and better.

Read some of the HOF speeches and other posts on here. Just seeing others doing and going through the same thing really helps as well. Thanks to those that started this site and those that have stuck around to keep it going.
Welcome to KTC, I quit with you today. Reach out if you need anything.

Offline 05wrxing

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Deer hunting, motorcycles, football, basketball and most of all my quit and my loving family.
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »
Welcome and congrats on Quitting. you've came to the right place for sure because quitting is what we do best. Seems like you have already figured out that quitting for other people just doesn't work, you have to quit for YOU and no one else. If you don't want to quit you won't. Glad to see that you have figured out roll call, it is the most important thing that we do. Make sure to post roll early and keep your promise and than repeat those same steps the next day. Keep some sunflower seeds, tooth picks, hard candy, gum or fake chew with you for when the cravings hit the hardest. If you need anything at all just pm me.
Experience is the name we give to our mistakes." Oscar Wilde

Roll call is not a daily attendance sheet, it is a daily pledge" - Boelker62

QUIT 9-13-21

Offline akhillbille

• Quitter
    • www.arcticoffroad.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »
Well I fiugred out the roll call and like that. I've been posting everyday on my Facebook what day I'm on and how it's going. Getting great support from friends and family. One thing I found that made it difficult the first couple days was I didn't really want to quit. I wasn't quitting for me but instead to make other people happy. After just a few days though I've realized I want to quit. This I think is making it a little easier and better.

Read some of the HOF speeches and other posts on here. Just seeing others doing and going through the same thing really helps as well. Thanks to those that started this site and those that have stuck around to keep it going.

Offline akhillbille

• Quitter
    • www.arcticoffroad.com
Newish to quitting
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »
I read around and seemed like I should introduce myself. I've been without a dip for 6 days now. After chewing copenhagen for nearly half my life it was definitely time to quit. I used to smoke and quitting that was honestly simple. This isn't as easy. Found this site looking for some resources and such to help out. Look forward to searching around the forums and seeing what others are doing to help and to stay tobacco free.

I seen some kind of roll call thing but didn't quite understand what that was about.