Author Topic: Ugh....the funk;  (Read 1676 times)

Offline nomoregrizz

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ugh....the funk;
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Thanks AJT and Bean.....Im on day 10 today. I had some time to just sit and think yesterday and I realized something......most of my family members that have passed have died of either cancer or heart problems. Thats kind of scary when I consider that I had a habit that can cause BOTH of these evils. Its amazing what you start to think about after your head clears up. Have a GREAT day,
NMG

Offline AndruwJacksonTaylor

• Quitter
  • Interests: Family, The Andy Griffith Show, Coaching, Exercise, Penn State Football, MLB, NFL
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Quote from: Bean
Congrats, Pyle. (J/K) Huge respect for you!!! Great job staying quit. I had that same experience on a golf course with my boss. It felt really f'ing cool to turn down a dip while he was loading his face...I felt totally bad-ass while he made some stupid joke about his attempt at quitting.
I hate when people do that. When I hear someone make a wise-crack about quitting...I usually say something like this...

"I know someone who used to make light of quitting like you just did....but he doesn't any more"

Really? Why?

"had his tongue and part of his face removed... He really struggles to say anything"
Barney Fife: The last big buy was my mom's and dad's anniversary present.
Andy Taylor: What'd ya get 'em?
Barney Fife: Septic tank.
Andy Taylor: For their anniversary?
Barney Fife: Yeah, They're awfully hard to buy for. Besides, it was something they could use. They were really thrilled. It had two tons of concrete in it. All steel reinforced.
Andy Taylor: You're a fine son, Barn.
Barney Fife: I try.

Offline AndruwJacksonTaylor

• Quitter
  • Interests: Family, The Andy Griffith Show, Coaching, Exercise, Penn State Football, MLB, NFL
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Quote from: nomoregrizz
OK...so I had my quit tested tonight for the first time. I went to the local firehouse's open house. My son is a junior firefighter there and I am joining as an EMT at the end of October. I was talking to one of the current EMT's about this and that when he looked around and saw that pretty much everyone had left except for the staff. So he breaks out this can of skoal mint and starts packing away....takes off the lid....holds the can out too me and says "you want a dip?". I swear I almost BOKED when I smelled the shit....I politely declined to him and explained that Im almost on the ninth day of my quit from that stuff. He congratulated me and said he had thought about quitting a few times......that was the end of the conversation. Before we left.....I wrote the site's name down and handed it too him....I told him that when he was ready there was a LOT of information and rescourses to help him with his quit, including veteran quitters that will support him. He thanked me and said that when he was ready he'd check it out.
Heres the deal.....Im a former U.S. Marine.....I've jumped out of perfectly good aircraft for the sheer fun of it.....I bungee jumped off of the New River Bridge in West Virginia.....Ive delivered 3 children outside of a hospital setting (one in a shopping mall elevator vestibule).....and I have NEVER felt as BADASS as I did tonight!!! Yesterday + 1. And a lot of encouragement from this board.....Thanks for the help.
NMG
That is an awesome story Grizz. Thanks! that Made my day!
AJT
Barney Fife: The last big buy was my mom's and dad's anniversary present.
Andy Taylor: What'd ya get 'em?
Barney Fife: Septic tank.
Andy Taylor: For their anniversary?
Barney Fife: Yeah, They're awfully hard to buy for. Besides, it was something they could use. They were really thrilled. It had two tons of concrete in it. All steel reinforced.
Andy Taylor: You're a fine son, Barn.
Barney Fife: I try.

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Congrats, Pyle. (J/K) Huge respect for you!!! Great job staying quit. I had that same experience on a golf course with my boss. It felt really f'ing cool to turn down a dip while he was loading his face...I felt totally bad-ass while he made some stupid joke about his attempt at quitting.

Offline nomoregrizz

• Quitter
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Quote from: noonelikesaquitter
OK...so I had my quit tested tonight for the first time. I went to the local firehouse's open house. My son is a junior firefighter there and I am joining as an EMT at the end of October. I was talking to one of the current EMT's about this and that when he looked around and saw that pretty much everyone had left except for the staff. So he breaks out this can of skoal mint and starts packing away....takes off the lid....holds the can out too me and says "you want a dip?". I swear I almost BOKED when I smelled the shit....I politely declined to him and explained that Im almost on the ninth day of my quit from that stuff. He congratulated me and said he had thought about quitting a few times......that was the end of the conversation. Before we left.....I wrote the site's name down and handed it too him....I told him that when he was ready there was a LOT of information and rescourses to help him with his quit, including veteran quitters that will support him. He thanked me and said that when he was ready he'd check it out.
Heres the deal.....Im a former U.S. Marine.....I've jumped out of perfectly good aircraft for the sheer fun of it.....I bungee jumped off of the New River Bridge in West Virginia.....Ive delivered 3 children outside of a hospital setting (one in a shopping mall elevator vestibule).....and I have NEVER felt as BADASS as I did tonight!!! Yesterday + 1. And a lot of encouragement from this board.....Thanks for the help.
                  NMG
Great job jarhead!
Thanks LeatherNeck Semper Fi bro

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
NMG
NMG- You're the man!!!
Good job!

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
NMG
Great job jarhead!
What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!

Offline teaka

• Quitter
  • Interests: golf, skiing
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
NMG
awesome story. good job. I feel comfortable in my quit, however I haven't had too many big tests yet and that scares me. I am still very nervous when drinking. I almost don't even want to go out drinking cause I don't trust myself yet. I don't drink often, but when I do, I can turn a couple beers into 8 or 10 pretty quickly and do things I later regret. I still have this inner fear I could blow this quit while drunk some night.
a strange game. the only winning move is not to play

Offline nomoregrizz

• Quitter
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
NMG

Offline Bronson

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
That Fog is no shit uh. i was at work and kept babbling to myslef like i was a flipp'n drunk. haha but it got better, it gets better.

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
I got through the 72 hour soak......Im feeling better today. I just woke up and theres no jitters or headache. Its gonna be a good fuckin day!!!!!
Congrats NMG!!

Stay focused, stay commited, stay QUIT!!!

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
I got through the 72 hour soak......Im feeling better today. I just woke up and theres no jitters or headache. Its gonna be a good fuckin day!!!!!
Enjoy the good days when you have them, especially early on. Enjoy how this day feels and remember that ALL of your days can be like this if you just stay clean.

You still have some dues to pay, but knowing I was going to have good days kept me fighting. Nice work !! Your body is now Nicotine free !

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline nomoregrizz

• Quitter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I' glad you posted that...helps me stay quit to read your description of the suck. It is probably part of the rationalization, but it's just like breaking up in a relationship...she may have driven you crazy, but all you can remember early on is the good times. Just remember this one was crazy enough to kill you. RUN!!!

Stay strong, stay quit...and you'll never go through this again.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Quote from: teamgreen
Oh.....the funk....the suck....the shit.....whatever you want to call it.  I literally feel like i could eat concertina wire and piss napalm!! Im not whining....just venting.....Im going to bed early tonight, I have a long busy day tomorrow...which is day four. Hopefully ill be a little calmer after the 72 hour soak. Im told it's the last 10 or so hours of the 72 hour soak that can really bring you to your knees....by 72 hour soak im referring to the time it takes the body to purge itself of all nicotine.....im in the final 11 hours of my 72 hour soak and im starting to get that hazy foggy feeling. Im just babbling now...LMAO. Im gojnna go gnaw on some seeds and watch tv.......and remember this 72 hour soak. I NEVER want to feel like this again.
                      NMG 'bang head'  'bang head'  'bang head'  'bang head'
Right idea, Grizz. Don't ever, ever forget. Embrace this hell. Everybody here has gone through it, and everybody here has your back. Just keep on going no matter what each day throws at you. If you keep quitting each day, it will get better. Coming on here to rant, rave, talk, ask questions or read is never a bad idea.

I'm quit with you.
Remember every miserable second. As you get farther away from your day one it may seem like things are easy. When that happens get back to this post and remember how bad you feel.

You NEVER have to live this again as long as you stay clean. Good job so far. Stick with it. Sing out if you need help. We are here for you...

STAY QUIT
Greg