Author Topic: John=quitter  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Phil16

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: John=quitter
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Quote from: omahaflyer
Quote from: Phil16
Quote from: worktowin
John - thanks for taking time out of your vacation to meet me tonight. It is great to meet another fog cutter, and it is always amazing that while all of our stories are different, in so many ways they are the same. It was also great to meet your family - you could see the pride in your sons eyes as he talked about the $2.15 in your pocket (soon to be $2.16...). You are setting a great example for them.

Please look me up next time you are in kc. I will take you to a real BBQ place. Keep building the quit! You really have given me some things to think about tonight - I will keep in touch.
W2w-it was an honor meet you and hang out. You generosity is humbling, thank you. I will definitely call you the end of August. My wife n I will be at ksu for their opening game against ndsu.
Stay calm, we will contact Seal team 6. These terrorists will stop at nothing to inflict torture on our people.

Kidnapping one of our own to subject him and his wife to the horrors known as K-state football. Oh the humanity ! :P
Omahaflyer, Be warned...after we beat KAnsas State, we are coming for the Big Ten. Iowa has already backed out, and the Big Ten is trying to change their out of conference scheduling parameters to try and keep foolish athletic directors from scheduling the mighty bison. Look out Nebraska, we're coming for you next! Ok, so I'm ready for football to start, can ya tell? If I have to see one more golf tournament or NASCAR race, I may vomit.

So we have no chance against ksTate or nebraska, I just like to bark.

:)
"That's really tough man, but it doesn't sound like a very compelling reason to stick cancer in your face." j2b

Copenhagen, you have chosen the wrong home. Your death will be slow and painful.

Quit: 12/26/2012
HOF: 4/4/2013

Offline omahaflyer

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3 Jan 2013
  • Interests: fish golf baseball
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
John - thanks for taking time out of your vacation to meet me tonight. It is great to meet another fog cutter, and it is always amazing that while all of our stories are different, in so many ways they are the same. It was also great to meet your family - you could see the pride in your sons eyes as he talked about the $2.15 in your pocket (soon to be $2.16...). You are setting a great example for them.

Please look me up next time you are in kc. I will take you to a real BBQ place. Keep building the quit! You really have given me some things to think about tonight - I will keep in touch.
W2w-it was an honor meet you and hang out. You generosity is humbling, thank you. I will definitely call you the end of August. My wife n I will be at ksu for their opening game against ndsu.
Stay calm, we will contact Seal team 6. These terrorists will stop at nothing to inflict torture on our people.

Kidnapping one of our own to subject him and his wife to the horrors known as K-state football. Oh the humanity ! :P
Memorial Stadium

Southeast: "In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars."
Southwest: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."
Northwest: "Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."
Northeast: "Their Lives they held their country's trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."

Offline Phil16

• Quitter
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »

"That's really tough man, but it doesn't sound like a very compelling reason to stick cancer in your face." j2b

Copenhagen, you have chosen the wrong home. Your death will be slow and painful.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Quote from: srans
Quote from: SirDerek
Quote from: Its_Got2Happen
My only brother is a 20plus year tobacco user, just like his big brother was.  Today, I'm going to confront him, and offer KTC as a quit resource. 
Looking for some help...what should my opening line be?
Do you want to be free? Just make sure he knows that it is possible, that's all you can do for now. Tell him that if he wants to smoke or dip that is HIS business, if he wants to quit, that is YOUR business, (and OUR business).

Good luck Phil, keep us posted.
Phil,

that is a hard position. First I think you should tell him what you have gone through and your experience with the site here. Tellhim just about everything.

Then if he listens to you, then ask him to watch as you post roll (or at least show him what you do) and maybe maneuver around the site a little. Show him a couple of intro's, the words of wisdom and maybe a HOF speech. Show him the fun within the wildcard section. Just quickly.

Then try to gently make the proposal to him that he should quit for himself.

Remember we cannot force others but if we lead them here, maybe something will snap in their head so that they make that final decision on their own.

You can even have him write me a few questions that I would be more than willing to answer for him.
First of all, glad to see a post from you phil. Good to see you doing better. I know i've not been around as long as these guys, but I try and help others anytime a get a chance. Really there will be a lot of openings for you.

I always say something like,,, I'm so glad I'm quit right now. That right there usually gets the ball rolling. Your his big brother phil, he will listen to you.

I've talked to my mom and dad who are in there 60's and smoking like a chimney. Dad has emphysema and heart trouble. They seemed to be very receptive, although they are still smoking away. Not much I can say at this point. They are slaves and can't see beyond that. Sometimes I think there is an age and time when it becomes to late,, maybe i'm wrong. Hope so...
Feel like I blew my opportunity. I appreciate the insight from you guys. My brother is also an alcoholic, and I fear messing with nicotine, may mess with him negatively in other ways. Obviously, it is something he needs to acknowledge and move through, but it has to be his idea. He needs to own it. I'm spending this week at home with my family and parents. Lots of time to think. I'm sensitive to how my approach may affect my brother, and all that hesitation lead me to doNOTHIng. Sucks right now. I hate nicotine.
Hey Phil,

just as an aside or advice, we had a great conversation in the chat room about stuff similar to this. The advice would be if your brother does quit the tobacco (or the alcohol, or whatever) it is to turn him on to something positive then to fill the void that is reamaining from what is taken away. That can be a way to help keep him from going too negative on the others.

Its a thought for all of us but was thinking since you had this here would be a good time and place to re-iterate it.

Offline Phil16

• Quitter
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
Quote from: srans
My only brother is a 20plus year tobacco user, just like his big brother was.  Today, I'm going to confront him, and offer KTC as a quit resource. 
Do you want to be free? Just make sure he knows that it is possible, that's all you can do for now. Tell him that if he wants to smoke or dip that is HIS business, if he wants to quit, that is YOUR business, (and OUR business).

Phil,

that is a hard position. First I think you should tell him what you have gone through and your experience with the site here. Tellhim just about everything.

Then if he listens to you, then ask him to watch as you post roll (or at least show him what you do) and maybe maneuver around the site a little. Show him a couple of intro's, the words of wisdom and maybe a HOF speech. Show him the fun within the wildcard section. Just quickly.

Remember we cannot force others but if we lead them here, maybe something will snap in their head so that they make that final decision on their own.

You can even have him write me a few questions that I would be more than willing to answer for him.
First of all, glad to see a post from you phil. Good to see you doing better. I know i've not been around as long as these guys, but I try and help others anytime a get a chance. Really there will be a lot of openings for you.

I always say something like,,, I'm so glad I'm quit right now. That right there usually gets the ball rolling. Your his big brother phil, he will listen to you.

I've talked to my mom and dad who are in there 60's and smoking like a chimney. Dad has emphysema and heart trouble. They seemed to be very receptive, although they are still smoking away. Not much I can say at this point. They are slaves and can't see beyond that. Sometimes I think there is an age and time when it becomes to late,, maybe i'm wrong. Hope so...
Feel like I blew my opportunity. I appreciate the insight from you guys. My brother is also an alcoholic, and I fear messing with nicotine, may mess with him negatively in other ways. Obviously, it is something he needs to acknowledge and move through, but it has to be his idea. He needs to own it. I'm spending this week at home with my family and parents. Lots of time to think. I'm sensitive to how my approach may affect my brother, and all that hesitation lead me to doNOTHIng. Sucks right now. I hate nicotine.

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »

Phil,

Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »

Phil,

Offline Its_Got2Happen

• Quitter
  • Interests: Staying Quit!!
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
My only brother is a 20plus year tobacco user, just like his big brother was. Today, I'm going to confront him, and offer KTC as a quit resource.

Offline omahaflyer

• Quit Pro
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Do you love me and trust me.

Good luck. Need any help ask.
Memorial Stadium

Southeast: "In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars."
Southwest: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."
Northwest: "Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."
Northeast: "Their Lives they held their country's trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."

Offline Phil16

• Quitter
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
My only brother is a 20plus year tobacco user, just like his big brother was. Today, I'm going to confront him, and offer KTC as a quit resource.

Offline Phil16

• Quitter
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Quote from: jbradley
I've noticed that my tendancy is to post positive stuff on my thread and kind of puff myself up as some super saint of quitting.  Today is not one of those days.  I usually employ a pull yourself up by your bootstraps type of attitude, but not today.  Today, I could care less.

Today has been an emotional nightmare.  The last 48 hours have been absolutely two of the darkest days of 2013.  When I was using, this would been one of those days, when I would have loaded up a big chew and isolated myself from the rest of the world.  Since nicotine is noT an option today, I'm left to ponder myself and wallow in self pitty.  This is a dark day.

At the end of this day, I can honestly say my only contribution to society was that I stayed quit.  I will remember day 157, as the day that I did nothing worthwhile, except kill the can. 

Sincerely,

Eyore
Hope your trip went well. Does not sound like you came back rested and refreshed ! I am sure you have thought of this but in case you haven't. The evil one might be attacking you especially hard. Fight back the best way you know. I will ask for re-inforcements for you.

You are doing something right if you are being hit this hard. Stay strong, you can not be defeated !
Sounds like you are in a full blown funk. Hang on for the next couple of days. Post roll first thing every morning, find some time to go hang out in chat. While you are there make sure to mention to anyone there how you are feeling. They will help, I promise. The chat crew has pulled me out of a couple of funks. It will take a couple days but push through and you will feel much better.

You are not alone don't try to be a cowboy here and do everything on your own.

You are right where I was around day 170ish, I could have said fuck it, but I didn't. I used the tools the site has given me and just put my head down and pushed through it. If you feel anything like I did there is no drive to stay quit, no drive to post roll, and a big desire to say fuck it! I can tell you that the light on the other side is much brighter and the view from the second floor is much better!
Thanks for the encouragement. Today is a new day, and I am thankful for life, my wife, my sons, and the many wonderful friends I've been blessed with. Life is a quick trip. The reality is that one day, each of us will be face to face with our last day. I'm honored to quit with all of you today.

Offline jbradley

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
I've noticed that my tendancy is to post positive stuff on my thread and kind of puff myself up as some super saint of quitting.  Today is not one of those days.  I usually employ a pull yourself up by your bootstraps type of attitude, but not today.  Today, I could care less.

Today has been an emotional nightmare.  The last 48 hours have been absolutely two of the darkest days of 2013.  When I was using, this would been one of those days, when I would have loaded up a big chew and isolated myself from the rest of the world.  Since nicotine is noT an option today, I'm left to ponder myself and wallow in self pitty.  This is a dark day.

At the end of this day, I can honestly say my only contribution to society was that I stayed quit.  I will remember day 157, as the day that I did nothing worthwhile, except kill the can. 

Sincerely,

Eyore
Hope your trip went well. Does not sound like you came back rested and refreshed ! I am sure you have thought of this but in case you haven't. The evil one might be attacking you especially hard. Fight back the best way you know. I will ask for re-inforcements for you.

You are doing something right if you are being hit this hard. Stay strong, you can not be defeated !
Sounds like you are in a full blown funk. Hang on for the next couple of days. Post roll first thing every morning, find some time to go hang out in chat. While you are there make sure to mention to anyone there how you are feeling. They will help, I promise. The chat crew has pulled me out of a couple of funks. It will take a couple days but push through and you will feel much better.

You are not alone don't try to be a cowboy here and do everything on your own.

You are right where I was around day 170ish, I could have said fuck it, but I didn't. I used the tools the site has given me and just put my head down and pushed through it. If you feel anything like I did there is no drive to stay quit, no drive to post roll, and a big desire to say fuck it! I can tell you that the light on the other side is much brighter and the view from the second floor is much better!

Offline omahaflyer

• Quit Pro
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
I've noticed that my tendancy is to post positive stuff on my thread and kind of puff myself up as some super saint of quitting. Today is not one of those days. I usually employ a pull yourself up by your bootstraps type of attitude, but not today. Today, I could care less.

Today has been an emotional nightmare. The last 48 hours have been absolutely two of the darkest days of 2013. When I was using, this would been one of those days, when I would have loaded up a big chew and isolated myself from the rest of the world. Since nicotine is noT an option today, I'm left to ponder myself and wallow in self pitty. This is a dark day.

At the end of this day, I can honestly say my only contribution to society was that I stayed quit. I will remember day 157, as the day that I did nothing worthwhile, except kill the can.

Sincerely,

Eyore

Memorial Stadium

Offline Matt F

• Quitter
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2013, 05:34:00 AM »
Hope you're renewed today, John. As a newby I'm learning more about this nicotine quitting and some days just suck. Since you like to dwell more on the optimistic side look at it this way: you need some balance to keep afloat, and this was a kind of outcry in response to your usual give, give, give. I hope you plan some me time on the calendar and take days where you get rest, exercise, whatever you need to renew your spirit, and do it more often brother.