Author Topic: User29029 Quit Journal and Intro  (Read 1760 times)

Offline user29029

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: User29029 Quit Journal and Intro
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Hey quitters, thanks for checking in. I'm still hanging tough, and I had a weekend surrounded by tobacco. Not only was the tobacco there, but it was in my favorite places to chew and smoke cigars. Long story, but at my favorite hotel, there is a fire where people traditionally smoke cigars. It was a nightly ritual for me in the past - even in the coldest of winter, and in the midst of snow, guests gather to smoke fireside and lakeside next to the best bar on the property. Hard to pass up, also hard was the ninja dipping I would do under the circumstances of the weekend.

But the truth is, it wasn't so hard that I had to make a real effort to avoid it - the logic and motive just don't align with my priorities any more. I am still conscious of the Traumagnet cautionary tale of the struggle to quit, the euphoria of reaching 100 days, the confidence of passing multiple years of abstinence, only to get a cancer diagnosis. We aren't in the clear just because we don't dip any more. So, yeah, tobacco didn't sound so good.

Offline invader

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-12
  • Interests: Board games, antique bicycles, and doing my fair share to bankrupt the ghouls over at Copenhagen.
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
User, keep up the good work! Always good talking to you in chat. And yes, while I've never personally spoken to traumagnet, I have followed his story in his intro, and the man truly is inspiring. Sure makes it hard to go back on your daily promise to quit when you see a guy like him battling such an enemy and STILL remaining quit.

But yes, keep doing what you're doing! Seems to be working very well for you.

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 05:04:00 AM »
Hey user, your mindset seems pretty good. Make sure you take time to appreciate each new day of freedom. Life is way better when you're not poisoning yourself.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 02:04:00 AM »
How goes the one day at a time quit? You are kicking ass bud.

Offline user29029

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
I just read the most humbling and inspiring intro thread on this site. Read this, and pray that you are half as tough as Traumagnet. I sure as hell do.

topic/1010002/1/

I'm done with chew

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Quote from: user29029
The people who make it know they were quit on day one.
I like it. The key ingredient to being a successful quitter is to KNOW that you CAN NOT and WILL NOT put another dip in. Not everyone necessarily understands their addiction on day one, but the quicker they can determine for themselves that Nic is not an option the better the odds that they will remain quit. Their comes a point in all of our quits when we realize that we are addicts and we can never have "just one". Hatred and understanding of our addiction is a requirement or we will repeat our enslavement.

Offline user29029

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
Moving into day 9, and I'm feeling awesome. It is interesting to read intros of the brand new people, who are scared and miserable like I was, and realize that I was in their shoes so briefly ago. I don't have cravings, urges are rare, and my body is changing. My brain is not fucking with me any more.

I have been significantly more involved with the community that I expected to be. There are several people whose posts I read, and I quickly know they are someone I want to help or I can relate to. I've also sought the counsel of the people on here that seem the wisest. This community is great, and is part and parcel with my quit. I'm glad I found it. If you are reading this, and you are wondering if you can make it, read several other intro threads. Notice the change, and notice how quickly it happens - even though days feel like weeks right now. If you feel like shit today, you are merely days away from feeling better.

If you are dreaming about how great a dip would be, I'm not sure I can help you. That is fucking stupid. The people who make it know they were quit on day one. They just had to suffer the pain and the tests. Get your head on straight, then accept the suck.

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
I still remain surprised by how much I specifically loved nicotine. I honestly thought that chewing ground herbs from a can would be pretty much the same thing, and I underestimated the importance of the nicotine in my habit.
2 things jump out at me here. They're things you reeeeally need to work on...

1... As has been said, the whole "I love nicotine" thing is dangerous and wrong. What you "loved" was the endless cycle of having your withdrawal from nicotine, fixed by more nicotine. The word "slave" is strong but... true. You have to, need to, despise and hate it. Take off the blinders and really see this drug for what it is... evil.

2... Your continued use of the word "habit" is troubling. It doesn't have enough weight. Addiction --- there. It's an unsavory word and it hurts to admit you have one but... you do. We all do. Once I really understood and accepted that... my Quit was rock solid. Yours will be too if you get your head wrapped around it. Own it m'man... own it.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline schaef418

• BANNED
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
Congrats on 1 week nicotine free.

Get your head on straight. Your addict brain is fucking with you. Realize that you must hate that shit.

Offline Corbin

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Quote from: pab1964
Today is 7 days for me, and it feels like a big deal. I definitely feel better, and the need isn't there. The urge, however, still is. I bought some Smokey Mountain chew today, and used it during my normal habitual chew time. It took about five seconds before I could tell something was missing. I still remain surprised by how much I specifically loved nicotine. I honestly thought that chewing ground herbs from a can would be pretty much the same thing, and I underestimated the importance of the nicotine in my habit.

Anyway, one week quit is a good milestone, and I'm only going to reach my goal of 100 days one day at a time. Waiting for time to pass is excruciatingly slow. Every day needs to be a reward, or else waiting to celebrate at 7 days, 30 days, 100 days, will kill the quit. The quitters I have met who reach those long quits seem to say that one day at a time held more reward than 100 days anyway. By then, they are maintaining their quit, and 100 days is just another +1. The truth is, no one's goal is just 100 days - it is forever - but we want to get to 100 to celebrate, mark a time period that has credibility, and join the club. Goals are crucial, even if their significance becomes less and less as you get closer.

I told my wife about my quit and this website. She was happy to hear about my decision. She also told me that my youngest daughter would be relieved. I did not realize she was aware or had an opinion. I'm having a hard time coping with the notion that I have been willingly compromised or diminished in her eyes. Knowing this definitely makes "forever" a more tangible goal to be quit. This isn't just about me. At least I am on the right path.
Learn to hate the nic and stop romanticising about fingering the can or you will never defeat this for you ,your wife ,daughter or anyone else! I beat if you were going for a cancer test you wouldn't be romanticising, come on man you've got the potential but that's not enough!
Pab is exactly right here, putting the nic bitch up on a pedestal is a bad idea. This is a drug that controlled you, cost you money, took time away from your family as you would have to sneak off for another fix, forced you to put cancer ridden cat shit in you lip over and over. BE PISSED MY FRIEND, EXTREMELY PISSED!

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
Today is 7 days for me, and it feels like a big deal. I definitely feel better, and the need isn't there. The urge, however, still is. I bought some Smokey Mountain chew today, and used it during my normal habitual chew time. It took about five seconds before I could tell something was missing. I still remain surprised by how much I specifically loved nicotine. I honestly thought that chewing ground herbs from a can would be pretty much the same thing, and I underestimated the importance of the nicotine in my habit.

Anyway, one week quit is a good milestone, and I'm only going to reach my goal of 100 days one day at a time. Waiting for time to pass is excruciatingly slow. Every day needs to be a reward, or else waiting to celebrate at 7 days, 30 days, 100 days, will kill the quit. The quitters I have met who reach those long quits seem to say that one day at a time held more reward than 100 days anyway. By then, they are maintaining their quit, and 100 days is just another +1. The truth is, no one's goal is just 100 days - it is forever - but we want to get to 100 to celebrate, mark a time period that has credibility, and join the club. Goals are crucial, even if their significance becomes less and less as you get closer.

I told my wife about my quit and this website. She was happy to hear about my decision. She also told me that my youngest daughter would be relieved. I did not realize she was aware or had an opinion. I'm having a hard time coping with the notion that I have been willingly compromised or diminished in her eyes. Knowing this definitely makes "forever" a more tangible goal to be quit. This isn't just about me. At least I am on the right path.
Learn to hate the nic and stop romanticising about fingering the can or you will never defeat this for you ,your wife ,daughter or anyone else! I beat if you were going for a cancer test you wouldn't be romanticising, come on man you've got the potential but that's not enough!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline user29029

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »

Offline user29029

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
Six days in, and things are definitely different. I am still seriously tired. I can't recall being this consistently tired and sleeping this much. The fog has lifted, in the sense that I can think clearly, but I feel bored. I could drift off at a moment's notice and either fall asleep or daydream for a couple hours. There are a couple matters at work I should attend to - so today I took the poor manager's way out and scheduled a meeting! I will try to put on the inspiring leader mask for two hours, and hopefully convince my staff to get their shit in order without my direct intervention. And also, please bring your best ideas and save my brain from thinking today.

There is some great advice being left for me in this thread. Wow, I appreciate the insight.

Corbin, you are right, and I am going to tell my wife. I almost told her last night. For four hours yesterday afternoon, I felt amazing and I wanted to trust my new strength enough to let her know. I pussed out when I started wondering how long it would last. The thought processes I am having during my quit are very surprising to me. I am typically not this vulnerable and indecisive. But now I have decided, and I will tell her today. I am close to a week quit, so there should be some credibility to it. I might tell her about this community as well, but I always hate to expose my dependency on others. Yes, that is total bullshit and a shitty way to think. So therefore, I have also decided at this moment to tell her about this community. It is, after all, this community that will get me through this. I truly have no question about that.

Invader, we did meet on my first day, when I finally found the chat. That is an awesome place to hang out for awhile and build some support and relationships. It really is amazing to ever be in a place where everyone has something very important in common. That is something I rarely encounter in my life, and it is a great comfort. I looked into what you said, and I understand now. The need for nicotine that we feel is just our brain reinforcing the dependency - we are not achieving a mellow by using it. We are solely satisfying a need that only exists because we have been using it. Without using it, our brain will not ask for it - eventually. What a strange drug this is. I bet most of us can't remember more than a couple times in a year when we feel the buzz we used to feel from using it. Maybe we took a double dip, and got a buzz for two minutes. Every other time, several times a day, more than 1,000 times a year, we are just a monkey putting a peg in a hole with a deadly chemical. Fucking idiots.

Rawls, that's some funny analogies, and very thought provoking. I read your post several times to consider each point. It is true, and strange, this box we put ourselves in for no reward or reason. I'm ashamed when I think of my original reasons for dipping - it was fun to hang out with buddies, breaking the rules of "less interesting people than ourselves," sharing an addiction. In everyone's mind, even at the best of times chewing together, each of us must have realized we would one day quit. We were not being honest with ourselves about what that would take - or the shame we would feel when we finally realized we made ourselves totally vulnerable to a useless and damaging addiction. I have two friends who still chew, so five of my dipping friends quit before me. You asked, basically, would you chew if everyone around you did, or if everyone around you did not, and does it matter? The only way in which it matters is that I am ashamed that I still remain as one of us in the process of quitting. I am quitting for me, and because I found this community, I can quit for you as well. I know it helps you and anyone reading this to know a fellow quitter gets how you feel.

Skoal Monster, preach it. I can even think of the truth that most of the time when I was getting a dip, I knew that I was about to feel a little worse, not better. I didn't know about the physical side effects you mentioned. I remember wondering why my legs would shake during the first stairs I would encounter after a dip. Jesus Christ, what a fucking moron. Maybe I should have looked into that a long time ago? Maybe, but I doubt it would have made a difference. This is the first time I have decided to quit, and I really don't take action on maybes. This community has shown me the guts it takes to really decide to quit, and stay quit, and allow true accountability for that decision. I am excited that one day, I will be able to write an HOF speech, and explain why I know I can keep going. I'm looking forward to reading it myself, since I feel like the past six days were 100 days already. I have no idea what it will feel like to be that confident of my own quit.

Thank you for reading this. I hope that it is useful to you, because it is certainly useful to me to share it with you. See you guys at roll and on the chat. Another day quit together - pretty cool.

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Quote from: KennyZ
Quote from: corbin
User,

Welcome to KTC, and great intro by the way. Just wanted to throw out my two cents here, tell your wife that you are quit, she needs to know. The side effects of this journey are real and the bottom line is your not the same guy you were last week and she deserves to know why. The foundation of this site is accountability, we all make a promise to each other everyday to quit for this one day, and the bigger your quit support group is the less likely you will be to fail. To me, leaving your family and those that you are closest too out off this circle is a mistake. Before finding this site, I told everyone I knew that I was planning to quit and what date it was going to happen, because I knew I would let myself down, but I was less likely to let everyone else down. In the first weeks of my quit, every morning, I would apologize to my family and to everyone at work for the Ass I could potentially become.

I know without the support of the Badass Quitters on this site and the support of my family and friends, I personally would not have made it this far. On my HOF day, I came home to a shrine of congrats posters, streamers and balloons along with some of my favorite treats that my wife and daughter had put together. I was so overwhelmed by their support I actually started crying, I know real manly right. I get the fact that you don't want to burden your wife, but spending the next 100 days not being completely honest with her on what you are going thru may not be the best answer.

My point, you have been sneaking around long enough, share your journey with those closest too you.

Again, my .02, proud to quit with you brother.

Corbin 112
^^^ That was awesome!!^^^

Hey User - Welcome. I work in the finance/accounting area (endowment side). If you ever need anything, please PM me.

KennyZ
Damn Corbin. ...just damn! that was quit wood material!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline KennyZ

• February 2015
  • Master of Quit
  • February 2015
  • Quit Date: 11/11/2014
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Quote from: corbin
User,

Welcome to KTC, and great intro by the way. Just wanted to throw out my two cents here, tell your wife that you are quit, she needs to know. The side effects of this journey are real and the bottom line is your not the same guy you were last week and she deserves to know why. The foundation of this site is accountability, we all make a promise to each other everyday to quit for this one day, and the bigger your quit support group is the less likely you will be to fail. To me, leaving your family and those that you are closest too out off this circle is a mistake. Before finding this site, I told everyone I knew that I was planning to quit and what date it was going to happen, because I knew I would let myself down, but I was less likely to let everyone else down. In the first weeks of my quit, every morning, I would apologize to my family and to everyone at work for the Ass I could potentially become.

I know without the support of the Badass Quitters on this site and the support of my family and friends, I personally would not have made it this far. On my HOF day, I came home to a shrine of congrats posters, streamers and balloons along with some of my favorite treats that my wife and daughter had put together. I was so overwhelmed by their support I actually started crying, I know real manly right. I get the fact that you don't want to burden your wife, but spending the next 100 days not being completely honest with her on what you are going thru may not be the best answer.

My point, you have been sneaking around long enough, share your journey with those closest too you.

Again, my .02, proud to quit with you brother.

Corbin 112
^^^ That was awesome!!^^^

Hey User - Welcome. I work in the finance/accounting area (endowment side). If you ever need anything, please PM me.

KennyZ