Author Topic: User29029 Quit Journal and Intro  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Corbin

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: User29029 Quit Journal and Intro
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
User,

Welcome to KTC, and great intro by the way. Just wanted to throw out my two cents here, tell your wife that you are quit, she needs to know. The side effects of this journey are real and the bottom line is your not the same guy you were last week and she deserves to know why. The foundation of this site is accountability, we all make a promise to each other everyday to quit for this one day, and the bigger your quit support group is the less likely you will be to fail. To me, leaving your family and those that you are closest too out off this circle is a mistake. Before finding this site, I told everyone I knew that I was planning to quit and what date it was going to happen, because I knew I would let myself down, but I was less likely to let everyone else down. In the first weeks of my quit, every morning, I would apologize to my family and to everyone at work for the Ass I could potentially become.

I know without the support of the Badass Quitters on this site and the support of my family and friends, I personally would not have made it this far. On my HOF day, I came home to a shrine of congrats posters, streamers and balloons along with some of my favorite treats that my wife and daughter had put together. I was so overwhelmed by their support I actually started crying, I know real manly right. I get the fact that you don't want to burden your wife, but spending the next 100 days not being completely honest with her on what you are going thru may not be the best answer.

My point, you have been sneaking around long enough, share your journey with those closest too you.

Again, my .02, proud to quit with you brother.

Corbin 112

Offline invader

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-12
  • Interests: Board games, antique bicycles, and doing my fair share to bankrupt the ghouls over at Copenhagen.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:47:00 AM »
Hey man!

We talked in the chat room a couple of days ago. I'm glad to see your intro here, and I just read it. It sounds to me like you used it for "stress relief". A lot of us rationalized our usage that way! Obviously you're quit now, but as the fog begins to lift, what might also be helpful is to think of ways dip and nicotine CAUSED you stress. I bring this up because if you can think of those, they can be powerful tools in reinforcing your quit. For example, you no longer have to worry about how much dip you have left, or staying up that extra hour to finish a dip off, or whatever else related to dipping that might have been causing you anxiety. Things that seemed inconsequential or went unnoticed, but actually may have been worrying you when you were dipping and no longer will be an issue now that you're quit. As far as nicotine relieving stress goes, a saying you'll often hear around here is "A Problem + Nicotine = 2 Problems" or some variation of that. It really is true!

Anyway, you're coming up on a week of being quit, and that rules. You also are getting involved with the community, and we always like to see that. Keep it up! Also, while the insomnia stuff sucks right now, I promise you your sleep will go back to normal before long. If using nicotine was a part of your before bed routine, it just takes a little bit for your brain to realize that is no longer a part of your routine. Caffeine-free herbal tea carried me through the insomnia, so maybe that's something you can try.

Offline user29029

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Quote from: jomartin88
So much of your post hits home for me. i am a partner at a cpa firm, so I get it. April 15th has been my excuse not to quit for years. I'm just sick of being to weak to quit.

Keep up the good work and reach out if needed. I'm going down the same road. You can do this.
Former Andersen here, brother. Plenty cans killed during Enron, plus a new baby that year. I will reach out, we can be quit buddies.

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
Quote from: Rawls
Welcome to the Crazy Train User.
I want to challenge you a bit...

What if your wife begged you to use it because she thought it was sexy!
What if you could grow a premium in your back yard and it was FREE!
What if Everybody you know family and employees used it every day all day long.
What if you didn't know anybody and were alone with NO family and or friends!

Would you do it?

Let it be JUST YOU quitting for YOU.

WHEN THAT HAPPENS.......... YOU CAN TELL THE WORLD!!!!!

When you struggle with temptation and craves...... those who have never used will never understand.
Jump on the train and let us help you get through that TEMPORARY feeling and thoughts, that are just a lie!

You/I were not created to need this poison..........
Find your New Identity........By saying NO...

One Day at a Time

I believe you can quit. I quit with you today.

Rawls232

You know whats stressful?

Cancer. Radiation. waiting for test results. Not entering data in a computer of fixing a business.

You attribute stress relief to chew. This is false thinking ( addict speak) nicotine does not relieve stress, it relieves withdrawl symptoms. Thats it.

You believe it relieves stress because relieving the withdrawls makes you feel better, calmer, etc. Its all bullshit.

Nic raises your blood pressure, and increases your stress levels.

You'll feel much better once you kick it.

sM
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Welcome to the Crazy Train User.
I want to challenge you a bit...

What if your wife begged you to use it because she thought it was sexy!
What if you could grow a premium in your back yard and it was FREE!
What if Everybody you know family and employees used it every day all day long.
What if you didn't know anybody and were alone with NO family and or friends!

Would you do it?

Let it be JUST YOU quitting for YOU.

WHEN THAT HAPPENS.......... YOU CAN TELL THE WORLD!!!!!

When you struggle with temptation and craves...... those who have never used will never understand.
Jump on the train and let us help you get through that TEMPORARY feeling and thoughts, that are just a lie!

You/I were not created to need this poison..........
Find your New Identity........By saying NO...

One Day at a Time

I believe you can quit. I quit with you today.

Rawls232
I believe.....

Offline quark

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-23
  • Interests: Biking, swimming, running, reading
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »
The only time you will finally be stress free is when you are dead. So looking for a 'good' time to quit when the stress level is low is akin to cooking the books.

All of us have had to figure out ways to deal with stress instead of giving into our addiction. I have become a work-out fanatic and carry around a bag of wintergreen life savers at all times.

Quitting right now and one day at a time is the right decision. You will start feeling better in a few weeks, hang in there.

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Quote from: user29029
Thank you for reading this introduction, my record of quitting, and my accountability to anyone reading this.

I've been chewing for about 18 years, which is really hard for me to believe. I used to just chew on weekends, or with certain friends, or in any of several standard circumstances in which we like to chew. My true dependency started about 10 years ago. I started to chew to relieve the enormous stress I was encountering in my private equity role. I was the CFO or senior finance guy for nine different companies. If they needed someone to enter AP into Quickbooks, that is what I did. If they needed someone to negotiate with their three banks and 100 investors, that is what I did. There is a way to do that and survive, and I was not doing it that way.

One day, I was driving from one company that needed money to another company that had a shitty business plan and bad leader. I had to fix both companies. I was dying. I jammed what felt like a fist-full of chew in my mouth and started sucking. I pounded on the steering wheel, begging the nicotine to kick in and rescue me. You know the story - over time, it just took more and more.

I have a big family, and I have a highly visible role in business, so I am almost always around people. I chew any time I am alone - it is my solace, and it is my friend that knows me better than everyone else. I chew in the bathroom, in the car, and if I can hide it from my family, I hide and chew at home. My wife is aware that I chew, but other than the last time she gave me a hard time about it - years ago - we don't talk about it. I pretend to myself and to her that it is not a habit. She knows better, of course, but for some reason decided not to bicker about it any more. Probably choosing battles.

Last week, my company needed to take out a life insurance policy on me. When I saw the questions about tobacco, I knew that this time, unlike previous times getting insurance, I couldn't get away with lying and just cutting back a bit. I would need to quit in order to avoid the tobacco user premium. So, on July 2, I threw away the three cans of chew that I had laying around. Today, I am five days quit.

Almost right away, I was very lethargic. I had no idea how much I relied on the stimulant of nicotine. I got a bad headache that Advil wouldn't cure. A few days later, I entered the fog. Having never felt this way, I Googled withdrawal symptoms from chewing tobacco, and found all my symptoms on the NIH page. I also found this page. That was yesterday. I looked around, read some forums, met some people, and realized that holy shit - I am a bona fide addict. This isn't going to be easy.

Last night, I had insomnia. I finally fell asleep at 4am. I woke up again at 8am, and for some reason laid back down. I woke up three hours later. I'm hoping that this phase of the quit is almost over - I actually feel better today than I did yesterday. I got the advice of a couple people on the chat, and bought some seeds and some fake chew. I think the fake stuff might keep me company, because the truth is that I really miss that part. I like chewing, probably because I have associated it with being by myself for those rare moments when I can be. We'll see, and I get it that almost no one stays on the fake stuff forever, and there is a reason. I will encounter that reason at some point.

I know where my greatest risk of losing my quit lies. I don't lead a stress-free life. I have challenges, like all of us, managing my family and keeping everyone happy and raised well. This summer, with all of our kids around, their ridiculously expensive activities will add stress to my wife more than myself. I can already hear myself in the back of my head saying "get back on thew chew, you need to keep yourself up so you can help her stay up." I haven't told her about my quit. I haven't told her because I don't want her wondering how I am doing and worrying about my state of mind. I don't want her to carry any of the burden. I recognize the problem this brings - it is most wise to tell those around us about our quit, to keep us accountable and to keep them in our corner. Maybe I will tell her, and maybe I won't, but I am going to have to make this my journey as much as possible, because my best excuse is that I could "postpone" my quit and get her through the stressful period she is experiencing right now. I just got off the phone with her - I would rather be the same guy I was last week right now. But that guy was killing himself, and I can focus on the long game. She wouldn't get any short-term comfort from me telling her I quit; I can man up and do this. Maybe I will give her my 100 day coin when I earn it. Then she will know I'm actually quit.

And that is my focus now - 100 days. I am excited about the accountability of this site, and feeling the personal reward of knowing I made it to that milestone that seems a long fucking way away right now. I read someone's HOF entry today, which said that it was just another +1 day at this point. Coasting past 100 days sounds pretty good to me, and I believe that I can make it stick if I can make it that far.

Thank you, again, for reading this. I really appreciate the community and the accountability. I am really looking forward to writing my HOF post.
Welcome user, I'm an addict just like you, I used 38 of my 50 years here on this earth. I'm 192 days into freedom. I may be prejudice just a little but I feel like if I can do this, then by golly anybody can. I started on this journey sounded alot like you, dip is my best friend and I like my high, I can't manage without it,etc...but that was addict speak and now I hate the nasty cancer causing shit! Here's my 2 cents worth, learn to hate the shit! Post roll every damn day! Soon as you wake up! Get involved and stay that way! I love my freedom and without this place I would have done what I've done literally 100's of times before .....Caved! I'm getting closer everyday to realizing I can do this Odaat! EDD! Quit on my friend, life's great without the chains! Remember your wife's been tough shit before and you probably bailed her out so put your big boy britches on so her and your kids will have someone to bail them out!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline jomartin88

• Quitter
    • https:
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-06
  • Interests: Quitting Chew.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
So much of your post hits home for me. i am a partner at a cpa firm, so I get it. April 15th has been my excuse not to quit for years. I'm just sick of being to weak to quit.

Keep up the good work and reach out if needed. I'm going down the same road. You can do this.
My Intro: http://forum.killthecan.org/topic/11224309/1/#new

Quitting Chewicide one +1 at a time

Offline user29029

• BANNED
  • Quitter
User29029 Quit Journal and Intro
« on: July 07, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
Thank you for reading this introduction, my record of quitting, and my accountability to anyone reading this.

I've been chewing for about 18 years, which is really hard for me to believe. I used to just chew on weekends, or with certain friends, or in any of several standard circumstances in which we like to chew. My true dependency started about 10 years ago. I started to chew to relieve the enormous stress I was encountering in my private equity role. I was the CFO or senior finance guy for nine different companies. If they needed someone to enter AP into Quickbooks, that is what I did. If they needed someone to negotiate with their three banks and 100 investors, that is what I did. There is a way to do that and survive, and I was not doing it that way.

One day, I was driving from one company that needed money to another company that had a shitty business plan and bad leader. I had to fix both companies. I was dying. I jammed what felt like a fist-full of chew in my mouth and started sucking. I pounded on the steering wheel, begging the nicotine to kick in and rescue me. You know the story - over time, it just took more and more.

I have a big family, and I have a highly visible role in business, so I am almost always around people. I chew any time I am alone - it is my solace, and it is my friend that knows me better than everyone else. I chew in the bathroom, in the car, and if I can hide it from my family, I hide and chew at home. My wife is aware that I chew, but other than the last time she gave me a hard time about it - years ago - we don't talk about it. I pretend to myself and to her that it is not a habit. She knows better, of course, but for some reason decided not to bicker about it any more. Probably choosing battles.

Last week, my company needed to take out a life insurance policy on me. When I saw the questions about tobacco, I knew that this time, unlike previous times getting insurance, I couldn't get away with lying and just cutting back a bit. I would need to quit in order to avoid the tobacco user premium. So, on July 2, I threw away the three cans of chew that I had laying around. Today, I am five days quit.

Almost right away, I was very lethargic. I had no idea how much I relied on the stimulant of nicotine. I got a bad headache that Advil wouldn't cure. A few days later, I entered the fog. Having never felt this way, I Googled withdrawal symptoms from chewing tobacco, and found all my symptoms on the NIH page. I also found this page. That was yesterday. I looked around, read some forums, met some people, and realized that holy shit - I am a bona fide addict. This isn't going to be easy.

Last night, I had insomnia. I finally fell asleep at 4am. I woke up again at 8am, and for some reason laid back down. I woke up three hours later. I'm hoping that this phase of the quit is almost over - I actually feel better today than I did yesterday. I got the advice of a couple people on the chat, and bought some seeds and some fake chew. I think the fake stuff might keep me company, because the truth is that I really miss that part. I like chewing, probably because I have associated it with being by myself for those rare moments when I can be. We'll see, and I get it that almost no one stays on the fake stuff forever, and there is a reason. I will encounter that reason at some point.

I know where my greatest risk of losing my quit lies. I don't lead a stress-free life. I have challenges, like all of us, managing my family and keeping everyone happy and raised well. This summer, with all of our kids around, their ridiculously expensive activities will add stress to my wife more than myself. I can already hear myself in the back of my head saying "get back on thew chew, you need to keep yourself up so you can help her stay up." I haven't told her about my quit. I haven't told her because I don't want her wondering how I am doing and worrying about my state of mind. I don't want her to carry any of the burden. I recognize the problem this brings - it is most wise to tell those around us about our quit, to keep us accountable and to keep them in our corner. Maybe I will tell her, and maybe I won't, but I am going to have to make this my journey as much as possible, because my best excuse is that I could "postpone" my quit and get her through the stressful period she is experiencing right now. I just got off the phone with her - I would rather be the same guy I was last week right now. But that guy was killing himself, and I can focus on the long game. She wouldn't get any short-term comfort from me telling her I quit; I can man up and do this. Maybe I will give her my 100 day coin when I earn it. Then she will know I'm actually quit.

And that is my focus now - 100 days. I am excited about the accountability of this site, and feeling the personal reward of knowing I made it to that milestone that seems a long fucking way away right now. I read someone's HOF entry today, which said that it was just another +1 day at this point. Coasting past 100 days sounds pretty good to me, and I believe that I can make it stick if I can make it that far.

Thank you, again, for reading this. I really appreciate the community and the accountability. I am really looking forward to writing my HOF post.