Author Topic: Upper Lippin'  (Read 4099 times)

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Upper Lippin'
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Quote from: TwoScoreAndTwoUser
As my handle states, I've been dipping for around 42 years. Not sure exactly when I started, but I was in Boy Scouts and not driving yet, so that would put me around 13 or 14, about Two Score and Two years ago.

I'm one of the "stealth" chewers I've read posts from. Many, many people did not know I chewed. A LONG, LONG time ago, I learned that if I put in a small upper lip chew, most people had no idea I was chewing. This worked SO WELL through school and work environments where tobacco was forbidden.

The only people who knew I was dippin' were those who dipped themselves, for they recognized the "STIFF UPPER LIP" conversations I would have. Because of the need to be stealth, I learned to NOT SPIT, which is something that most of my dippin' buddies could not do, so... I felt SUPERIOR to them. THEY WERE SISSIES and needed to walk around with a disgusting cup of brown, warm saliva! I kept mine hidden... and believe me, touching the upper lip chaw with the tip of my tongue, pursing my lip to get a small "juicer" and chewing on those few grains I had gathered with my tongue... well, there was nothing better! The only "down side" was the inevitable grains hiding in my teeth. I learned to keep a few toothpicks around for cleanup before I talked to a teacher or supervisor.

Now, a few years ago, Camel SNUS came through the area, with TONS of free coupons. WHAT A GREAT IDEA! A packaged product meant to be used in the upper lip, but which left NO EVIDENCE when removed.

Prior to the new product, I was strictly a Cope man... the original cardboard can from the days when there was only one type of Cope to buy. Now, I was hooked on something great tasting (Camel FROST), stealthy, which did not require dental floss or toothpicks. I was able to dip 24 hours a day!

NOW, in the middle of all this, I DID know and understand that nicotine was not the most healthy of things to put in my mouth. I had a few bouts of trying to quit and "successfully" replaced snuff with cigarettes a few times!!!! Yeah! But, I always returned to my ole oral friend.

Don't know why, but my mouth is lesion free and I had my innards looked at last year and no problem. I am smart enough to know that this might not be the case forever, so I've been thinking about "quitting" again. I went online and stumbled on the BACC OFF product line. I called them, and they could not tell me where their product was sold! So, I called a local tobacco store. They carry the Smokey Mountain line of herbal snuff.

Well, Friday, the 20th, I bought ALL the flavors (well, almost all). By Saturday, I had tried most of em... actually enjoyed em. After dinner, I forwent the herbal and reached for the Camel Can. After a half hour, I realized that, except for the nicotine zing, I was able to get the same thing from the Smokey Mountain product... an oral presence in my upper lip which I could "tongue" and get some nice tasting juice flowing down my throat!

I know that half the battle is the oral fixation part. With the Smokey Mountain product, I think I've got that "licked" ...LOL... Now I've got to make it past the first few days of Nic-Addick and train my brain that I don't NEED tobacco. And I don't need it. Flavored corn silk will do just fine.

Nice that this site exists and that everyone here is so supportive of each other.

If you reply to this, please delete the original message. It REALLY bugs me that most of the threads I read have messages which always contain the original message and I can't turn that feature off (that I've found). I know what I've read, thank you, and I'm able to discern what posts people are talking about when they reply. Unnecessary replication of things is a personal pet peeve, and right now, pet peeves seem to enlarge from mice to elephants.

Not sure how to end this, because if I wish good luck, I'll be flamed, so maybe "May you have the least painful quit you can." Seems so much more concise the former way!

Your fellow suffrin' addict.... Paul
Just because you said not to.....I don't really have anything to say.

Wait...I do.....

Don't be a butterfly.

Offline AgLawyer

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Travelin, hikin, liftin and quittin
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Quote from: TwoScoreAndTwoUser
so I've been thinking about "quitting" again
To be clear, we do not "think" about quitting here. We do not try, we do not hope, we do not do anything but QUIT. Period. Train your mind in that regard.

This place is about accountability so doing all you can to build it is key to being quit. Posting roll is fundamental. After that, read everything you can and start to build some camaraderie amongst your fellow quitters. You will find that only those within the confines of this website truly understand what you are going thru. While they may only be screen names on a page, they are people just like you. Trade numbers, text each other for encouragement, give a call to one when you are having a tough time, etc. Hell, I've even met a handful and broke bread and drank beer with them.

Anyway, welcome. You will receive a wealth of support here that you could not find elsewhere. Without this place, no way I could be sitting on 179 days of FREEDOM from this damn addiction. Drink the kool-aid.

Paul

Offline DW3

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Quote from: Ready
which I could "tongue" and get some nice tasting juice flowing down my throat!
This is going to attract some of our finest quitters...

'crackup' 'crackup' 'crackup'
These aren't the ones to share your number with. :D!
Grit and Quit ~ Timpy
Building a relentless, laser-sighted, chrome-plated, heat-seeking, cock-blocking, wolf pack of a quit (with curb feelers), one day at a time.

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
which I could "tongue" and get some nice tasting juice flowing down my throat!
This is going to attract some of our finest quitters...

'crackup' 'crackup' 'crackup'

Offline DW3

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Nice work posting roll. Thats important. It may sound stupid at this point but it really is the foundation of building a strong quit.

As far as getting involved, put a message up in the April group that you need some phone numbers and share yours with your quit brothers and sisters. Call or text these people when you feel like caving or just need a hand or just to say hi in the morning...you'll get it. If they haven't posted roll send a note and ask where the fuck are you. This is the accountability.

Great job posting roll. You are quit.
Grit and Quit ~ Timpy
Building a relentless, laser-sighted, chrome-plated, heat-seeking, cock-blocking, wolf pack of a quit (with curb feelers), one day at a time.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
You can start reading this. index.php?showforum=41

And this. index.php?showforum=9

Welcome aboard.

Offline TwoScoreAndTwoUser

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
DW3... Thanks. It took me a long time to find the roll (started looking last night) and I added my name to the list just before I wrote the novel here.

As for reaching out, not sure what more to do besides joining my "pledge group," posting to roll call, reading others' posts and travails, and sharing my own. Kinda thought that other than greeting each day new in terms of promises (thus, the concept of Roll Call), there was not much left.

I'll check my Inbox for your message. Thanks again..... Paul
Support our Marines (and all our servicemen) REGARDLESS and IRRESPECTIVE... our B-hole politicians don't

I can roof my barn. I can integrate x/2. I can make non-dense 100% whole wheat honey bread. I can maneuver a 900 lb. 113 Cu. In. Cycle through twisties. I can make children laugh. I can also remain quit... ad infinitum!

We are the few, the proud, the knights who say NI to NI-co-tine!

I AM a non-tobacco chewer/user

Offline DW3

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Dear 2+2,
Get your buttocks into your quit group (you are April today and May tomorrow) and post roll. Look for the pink (yeah pink) button upper left for the welcome center. Read how to post your promise that you will not dip for the day. 1 day. Keep your promise and do it again tomorrow. We are all addicts here but follow the simple program and you wont be suffering for long. Check your inbox, I sent you a message. (upper right).

This site is about accountability to your fellow quitters and recapturing your own personal integrity. People know.what you are going through here but your quit will only be as strong as your willingness to engage this community. Reach out.
Grit and Quit ~ Timpy

Offline TwoScoreAndTwoUser

• Quitter
Upper Lippin'
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
As my handle states, I've been dipping for around 42 years. Not sure exactly when I started, but I was in Boy Scouts and not driving yet, so that would put me around 13 or 14, about Two Score and Two years ago.

I'm one of the "stealth" chewers I've read posts from. Many, many people did not know I chewed. A LONG, LONG time ago, I learned that if I put in a small upper lip chew, most people had no idea I was chewing. This worked SO WELL through school and work environments where tobacco was forbidden.

The only people who knew I was dippin' were those who dipped themselves, for they recognized the "STIFF UPPER LIP" conversations I would have. Because of the need to be stealth, I learned to NOT SPIT, which is something that most of my dippin' buddies could not do, so... I felt SUPERIOR to them. THEY WERE SISSIES and needed to walk around with a disgusting cup of brown, warm saliva! I kept mine hidden... and believe me, touching the upper lip chaw with the tip of my tongue, pursing my lip to get a small "juicer" and chewing on those few grains I had gathered with my tongue... well, there was nothing better! The only "down side" was the inevitable grains hiding in my teeth. I learned to keep a few toothpicks around for cleanup before I talked to a teacher or supervisor.

Now, a few years ago, Camel SNUS came through the area, with TONS of free coupons. WHAT A GREAT IDEA! A packaged product meant to be used in the upper lip, but which left NO EVIDENCE when removed.

Prior to the new product, I was strictly a Cope man... the original cardboard can from the days when there was only one type of Cope to buy. Now, I was hooked on something great tasting (Camel FROST), stealthy, which did not require dental floss or toothpicks. I was able to dip 24 hours a day!

NOW, in the middle of all this, I DID know and understand that nicotine was not the most healthy of things to put in my mouth. I had a few bouts of trying to quit and "successfully" replaced snuff with cigarettes a few times!!!! Yeah! But, I always returned to my ole oral friend.

Don't know why, but my mouth is lesion free and I had my innards looked at last year and no problem. I am smart enough to know that this might not be the case forever, so I've been thinking about "quitting" again. I went online and stumbled on the BACC OFF product line. I called them, and they could not tell me where their product was sold! So, I called a local tobacco store. They carry the Smokey Mountain line of herbal snuff.

Well, Friday, the 20th, I bought ALL the flavors (well, almost all). By Saturday, I had tried most of em... actually enjoyed em. After dinner, I forwent the herbal and reached for the Camel Can. After a half hour, I realized that, except for the nicotine zing, I was able to get the same thing from the Smokey Mountain product... an oral presence in my upper lip which I could "tongue" and get some nice tasting juice flowing down my throat!

I know that half the battle is the oral fixation part. With the Smokey Mountain product, I think I've got that "licked" ...LOL... Now I've got to make it past the first few days of Nic-Addick and train my brain that I don't NEED tobacco. And I don't need it. Flavored corn silk will do just fine.

Nice that this site exists and that everyone here is so supportive of each other.

If you reply to this, please delete the original message. It REALLY bugs me that most of the threads I read have messages which always contain the original message and I can't turn that feature off (that I've found). I know what I've read, thank you, and I'm able to discern what posts people are talking about when they reply. Unnecessary replication of things is a personal pet peeve, and right now, pet peeves seem to enlarge from mice to elephants.

Not sure how to end this, because if I wish good luck, I'll be flamed, so maybe "May you have the least painful quit you can." Seems so much more concise the former way!

Your fellow suffrin' addict.... Paul
Support our Marines (and all our servicemen) REGARDLESS and IRRESPECTIVE... our B-hole politicians don't

I can roof my barn. I can integrate x/2. I can make non-dense 100% whole wheat honey bread. I can maneuver a 900 lb. 113 Cu. In. Cycle through twisties. I can make children laugh. I can also remain quit... ad infinitum!

We are the few, the proud, the knights who say NI to NI-co-tine!

I AM a non-tobacco chewer/user