Author Topic: Junkie Intro/Confession  (Read 1843 times)

Offline harvestgirl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • That tempest in a teapot....
  • Quit Date: 9/26/16
  • Interests: Throat punching the was of cat shit from your face
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: Junkie Intro/Confession
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 02:46:00 AM »
One year ago on this day, we were in chat together; talking about you quitting and facing your addiction.

I hope you're whole and well my brother.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas
Quit Date: 9.26.16 HOF Date: 1.3.17 9th Floor: 3.14.19
Read my Intro.
Read my HOF Speech.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2098
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 01:58:00 AM »
Quote from: harvestgirl
One late night or early morning when I was in too much pain to sleep or function, you stayed awake with me and showed me photographs of your travels, told me stories of the cultures you immersed yourself in, painted pictures in my mind of people and festivals.
The next night you knew I'd be in chat again, and you kept my mind off of a shitty shoulder for a few more hours.
We discussed your adventures in Southeast Asia, how it transformed your beliefs, changed your views on the world.
How you took away the ability to live fully and simply.
We talked about your family history.
We talked about politics.
We talked about mental health.
We talked about a lot.
Night after night was one more tiny bit of your world backpacking adventure.
One more story of STT.
One more piece of Joel.

The deva asked again saying:

"What is the thing that is not burnt by fire, which the wind too cannot break asunder, and not by water can be rotted, and is able to sustain the world? Who can bravely withstand both the king and the thief, and cannot be seized by humans and non-humans?"

The World Honoured One told him saying:

"Merit is not burnt by fire, by wind too it cannot be broken asunder, and not by water be rotten, and it is able to sustain the world. Merit can bravely withstand both the king and the thief, and cannot be taken away by humans and non-humans."

Which traced forward and translated roughly and simply means:

"Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds."

Rest now, my brother. May you have found the peace you anxiously craved in this world.
I shall remember good and compassionate human being ❤
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline harvestgirl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • That tempest in a teapot....
  • Quit Date: 9/26/16
  • Interests: Throat punching the was of cat shit from your face
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
One late night or early morning when I was in too much pain to sleep or function, you stayed awake with me and showed me photographs of your travels, told me stories of the cultures you immersed yourself in, painted pictures in my mind of people and festivals.
The next night you knew I'd be in chat again, and you kept my mind off of a shitty shoulder for a few more hours.
We discussed your adventures in Southeast Asia, how it transformed your beliefs, changed your views on the world.
How you took away the ability to live fully and simply.
We talked about your family history.
We talked about politics.
We talked about mental health.
We talked about a lot.
Night after night was one more tiny bit of your world backpacking adventure.
One more story of STT.
One more piece of Joel.

The deva asked again saying:

"What is the thing that is not burnt by fire, which the wind too cannot break asunder, and not by water can be rotted, and is able to sustain the world? Who can bravely withstand both the king and the thief, and cannot be seized by humans and non-humans?"

The World Honoured One told him saying:

"Merit is not burnt by fire, by wind too it cannot be broken asunder, and not by water be rotten, and it is able to sustain the world. Merit can bravely withstand both the king and the thief, and cannot be taken away by humans and non-humans."

Which traced forward and translated roughly and simply means:

"Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds."

Rest now, my brother. May you have found the peace you anxiously craved in this world.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas
Quit Date: 9.26.16 HOF Date: 1.3.17 9th Floor: 3.14.19
Read my Intro.
Read my HOF Speech.

Offline bulldogr

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-05-30
  • Interests: I love Jesus, Horses, Rodeo, Hunting,Fishing, most things outdoors. Operating Engineer by trade.
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 01:07:00 AM »
Quote from: LarryA
If you'd like a sounding board who has both a 26 day jump on you and a unique perspective then PM your number.

LarryA day 29 - IQWYT
Oh, and good on you for making such a great decision! This place is the bomb!
Bulldogr Day 6- I got your back brother!! Stay Quit!! Love that about the CIA!! I screwed something up on this post !! But I think its OK, I'll get it figured out one of these days LOL

Offline bulldogr

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-05-30
  • Interests: I love Jesus, Horses, Rodeo, Hunting,Fishing, most things outdoors. Operating Engineer by trade.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »
If you'd like a sounding board who has both a 26 day jump on you and a unique perspective then PM your number.

LarryA day 29 - IQWYT
Bulldogr Day 6- I got your back brother!! Stay Quit!! Love that about the CIA!!

Offline LarryA

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: May 1, 2017
  • Interests: Family, golf, skiing, hunting, yardwork (don't hate)
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »

LarryA day 29 - IQWYT

Offline LarryA

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: May 1, 2017
  • Interests: Family, golf, skiing, hunting, yardwork (don't hate)
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »

LarryA day 29 - IQWYT

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Whoo hoo!
Here you go with 100!
Great job sticking with it.
Keep it up!
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
'Birthday' Joel!

cheers to many more, dip free!

Offline Raider

• Quit Pro
  • Imma Quitter
  • Quit Date: Feb 28, 2014
  • Interests: Fishing, Camping, Kayaking, but mainly spending time with the family and friends.
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 05:57:00 AM »
Congrats on the best decision you will make. Your story sounds a lot like mine in so many ways. Lots of demand bs hiding for way to long. I found KTC 1,101 days ago and know that my daily login and promise is what keeps me quit.

Damn glad to be quit with you.

I'd like to know more about the weight loss support group. Please share.

Tim

Offline FourMyKids

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-02-26
  • Interests: Jesus, Family, Quitting, Golfing
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »
Sounds terrible, but loved your story "Success". I'm only 36 hours deep, but what I've noticed and appreciated the most about this group is it's rawness. Aside from dropping a killer habit, this portal offers a conjunction between flawed human beings. I don't think we need to be ashamed of our transgressions, nor will it help us in kicking the chains for good. Hell, what do I know...Just trying to improve one vice at a time. Let's do it brother!

Offline Steakbomb18

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/13/2013
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 11:11:00 PM »
This is a stellar intro and for many of us, it's like reading an autobiography. We've all been there in some capacity. We know the shame, the embarrassment, and ultimately the humility and guts it takes to admit addiction and the need for help.

But, what gives you a leg up is that you've already been down this road with your support group for weight loss. And that daily check-in, is the key to it all. Here we call it roll. Post roll (i.e. your daily promise) every day and I think... I know that you'll soon find that you can succeed at this too. Again, the key is posting every day. I'm about a month away from 1200 days, and i've never missed a roll. I'm not bragging about my day, rather, I'm just illustrating the importance of roll. So, Mr. SuccessThisTime ...it's time to succeed.
Certified Grade A Badass

Offline polishnick79

• Quitter
  • April '17 Underdog
  • Quit Date: 1/18/2017
  • Interests: Boats, Fishing, and Fixing Stuff!
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
Quote from: SuccessThisTime
Hey KTC -

Be warned.... verbal diarrhea ahead. 32 yrs of bottled up shame coming at you.

former junkie introducing myself. I was about as bad as it gets. Chain chewer. Almost 2 cans a day, but completely in the closet. I had an alcohol problem, a weight problem and a dip problem. I would sneak alcohol, food and dip. My wife never new the extent of ANY of these addictions. We kinda have a "don't ask, don't tell" agreement between us. She doesn't want me to lie, so she doesn't ask.

The thing is.... none of these addictions made sense to me. Other than the addictions, I have my act together. College athlete, honor student, Master's degree, good income, etc, etc. How could I be an addict?

My wife and family could obviously see the weight problem, but had no idea about the alcohol or dip. I told my wife about my dip problem years ago, when I managed to stop dipping for a few months. But, I was stupid; thought I could be a casual user. Got sucked back into the addiction and could never admit failure to my loving wife. I couldn't let her down... so, instead, I damaged our relationship by sneaking out at every chance to have a dip. The majority of our 15 years together, I've been sneaking/hiding. I stopped 2 times and felt so much better. It helped our relationship, but I eventually failed again.

For the last several years, I've been getting worse with all my addictions, but dip was by far the worst. I would yo-yo up and down with my weight. I would quit drinking for weeks/months. But, dip was always there. I stopped for months, but when I slipped, I fell hard.

This addiction has owned me. A couple years ago, I had bizarre mouth pain and still kept dipping. It was bad and scary, but I didn't want to get it checked out, because I didn't want to admit that I may have caused my own disease. I was convinced I might have oral cancer and it finally motivated me to stop dipping in Jan 2015. Had a dentist do a thorough check for cancer (with some new-fangled ray gun) and found nothing. So what did I do? I convinced myself (AGAIN) that I could be a casual user a couple months later. Just a dip here and there. Amazing what an addict's mind can justify. So, after being clean for 6 months, I got sucked back in.

Jan 2016 - I decided it was time to fight some of these demons. Cut way back on the alcohol. Stuck with it...

March 2016 - I joined an online support group for losing weight and completely changed how I eat. Lost 70 lbs, kept it off for the last 6 months. I'm in complete control of that issue and never going back. The support group was the key. I logon once a day to remind myself that I had an issue.

Which leads me here.... my biggest and last demon.

I'm an addict. I am finally admitting that publicly. I need help and that's why I'm here. I always tried to do this on my own and failed over and over.

I picked this week to quit for good. Wife is out of town with the baby for a week, so I can dedicate all my time and energy to quitting and not take out any rage on her or the kids. I called the AZ smokers helpline. I found KTC.

I'm quit for 3 days and this is the last time!

Thanks for listening and more importantly, thanks for this site!

Joel
Successthistime, be sure to update your profile page with your quit date...Also go put the DipQuit App on your phone....It is awesome to see how much money you have saved when you are quitting!

Offline polishnick79

• Quitter
  • April '17 Underdog
  • Quit Date: 1/18/2017
  • Interests: Boats, Fishing, and Fixing Stuff!
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »
Quote from: SuccessThisTime
Thanks bunyuck. You nailed it. Solo grocery runs. Late work nights. The hiding acrobatics. My wife has been saying for years : "I just want us to spend more time together, even if it's just running to the grocery store."

"But - babe - what you don't understand is that I sneak in a solid 25 minute mongo dip on a grocery store run...."

I was telling the chat group yesterday about my hiding extremes. I'm a spitter, so how do you constantly hide a spitter for years? Challenge accepted. I take a lot of supplements - vitamin C, B12, etc. So, I recruited one of my supplement bottles as a spitter. Opaque. Innocent looking. Nobody else would ever grab it, cause it's just "daddy's vitamins". Hiding in plain site. I shoulda joined the CIA.

I'm an addict and a quitter.
SuccessThistime,

We have all been there and think we are so sneaky...thinking of new ways to hid our addiction and finding 15 or 20 minutes by ourselves to pack a fat lip which will hold us off for another couple hours.

I sent you my digits via PM so be sure to check it...We are all here to help and support.

I quit with you all day, everyday and even on Sundays....

Polishnick

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
Welcome Joel! You've found the right place and I'm glad to see you've found your quit group.

Your intro reads like you are serious about beating this thing. You acknowledge your addiction and the need for support. That's a huge realization that not everyone is willing to make from the outset.

I'd encourage you to really tap into the network here and engage with folks in your group. Exchange numbers and figure out who you can rely on - because at some point your success will almost certainly hinge on one or more of your quit brothers.

I'd also caution you against taking too broad a view. Don't worry about forever, this is one day at a time, so focus on what's directly in front of you.

There is no luck here, but I will wish you success.

Reach out if I can help.