Author Topic: Still growing it, but done dipping it.  (Read 3424 times)

Offline ScrewYouCope

• Quitter
  • Interests: Football (The Cowboys), riding in the woods, hunting, and computers....
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Still growing it, but done dipping it.
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Quote from: Native94
I feel pretty shut down now after reading a lot of this. I'm sorry for messing up not to y'all but to myself I'm committed today I'm forgetting  yesterday and I'm moving on.
Native,

As a guy that's only been here 31 days I don't know all the answers. The things I do know is I got beat up pretty good when I started posting 31 days ago. The main reason is I made the HOF in 2009 and then started chewing again about a year ago. I got beat up for disrespecting my old group, and for not coming in and reading how the site worked. For claiming I drank the kool-aid, when really I didn't. I got beat up for saying I was going to post when I felt like it. After lots of reading and discussion I figured out the system.

Anyway all I wanted to say was it wasn't easy taken the tongue lashing I got, but I took it (As I deserved it) and I think my final statement after the lashing was, "I'm done thinking about the past, all I can do is think about today". So with that said, don't forget the lashing, but don't let it scare ya away either.

I want to give you props for taking it and sticking around. Even in the short 31 days I've been here I've seen a handful of guys leave the site because they couldn't take a dose of reality, or someone talking harsh to them!

I'm quit with you today!

ScrewYouCope
QD 11/18/13

"Yes you can stay quit. Forever. But make your practice 1 day at a time.."-wise words I read from TCOPE

"Nicotine fills no voids in your life. It creates them."...Diesel2112

Offline rickddd

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/6/2013
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
There's alot of "tough love" that happens on this site, Native. Just roll with it, and remember that successful quitters know that you need to have a zero tolerance policy in order to be successful. You have to drill that into your mind.

You messed up with the smokes, thinking you were still OK by not dipping - its a mistake, it happened, lets move on and start fresh today.

Posting roll is sacred on this site. It is our promise to each other that we will not use nicotine in any form, all day long. All we have on an online site like this is our word, our honesty. Without that, there is no point to the site. So people tend to get riled up about it when someone posts roll, and still has nicotine that day.

Just trying to explain the reactions of some of the quitters here. Hope you're still with us!

Rick
---------------------------
Quit Date: 1/6/2013
Hall of Fame: 4/15/2013
COMMA! 10/2/2015
42nd floor: 7/6/2024

Offline Native94

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
I feel pretty shut down now after reading a lot of this. I'm sorry for messing up not to y'all but to myself I'm committed today I'm forgetting yesterday and I'm moving on.

Offline wmcatty

• Quit Pro
    • heartoftexasweather.org
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
19 years old and has the world by the balls...but can'f figure out what the meaning of quit is and how to go about it.
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Do you want to quit? Really want to quit???

If you do really want to quit, then you have to take ownership of your quit.

You need to do everything you can to stay quit. READ everything on this website! Hit the salmon colored WELCOME CENTER button and read it like your life depends on it! Once you are done there read some random intro threads from start to finish. Read HOF speeches; read words of wisdom; hall of Legends. Go to the KillTheCan.org page and read some cancer stories; print out a contract to quit and wrap your purchasing power in it. Look at cancer photos. Learn all about your enemy: Nicotine...

Next step in ownership is taking all the advice and knowledge learned by reading and living it. Post roll and keep your word for 24 hours, and then repeat. Make friends with your quit brothers and sisters: get active with your quit-group, read and post on the intros. Get contact #s and use them (PM me and I'll give you mine). Get fake dip, seeds, gum, atomic fireballs, etc. to keep your mouth busy. Stay away from your nicotine using friends for a week or two to keep temptation down. The knowledge and support are here for you, but only if you own your quit.

Lots of bad assed quitters have given you all sorts of good advice in the last day and a half since you started this intro, but caving last night proves that all the knowledge and support in the world won't help you quit if you don't make use of it.

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Native... this is BS. When we post roll it means something. Read the Welcome Center and anyone with the ability to read knows this is a nicotine free site.

Coming back after smoking cigarettes and playing stupid doesn't work for me.

Figure out if you want to quit before you post roll. Everyone is being fairly nice to you right now, but you are on notice.

You don't get to just post a day 1, cave, come back for another day 1, cave, then another day 1, cave, then another day 1 cave... that is not how this works.

You either quit. Stay quit. Or get the F out and come back when you are ready.
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline rickddd

• Quitter
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
I don't really have no excuses I just didn't really think too much about it last night. The alcohol ain't a problem because my friends don't really drink and I don't either except one or two once in a blue moon. Not last night when I caved either. I didn't read too much on here at all yesterday when I decided to start and kinda just skimmed over the no nicotine at all part so when offered a type of menthol I said yes. It wasn't until I got home a looked back over the roll call saw no nicotine at all and then said oh shit basically. I used to be a pack a day guy a few years ago but now I rarely smoke unless offered one. But today it's going to be no nicotine at all.
If you are committed to quitting, then cool - get back up on the horse and lets do this for real. Remember that your addiction is to nicotine, so quitting means no nicotine in any form - chew, smokes, nicorette gum, the patch, the lozenge, etc etc etc.

The key is to commit to being quit. Have a plan for weak moments, and a plan for every single moment early in your quit. Have candy, gum, fake/herbal chew, atomic fireballs, sunflower seeds, whatever your preference to occupy your mouth and mind.
You will experience moments of rage and anxiety in the first few weeks - have a plan for this also. Exercise is a great way to relieve this stress; some people use prayer, mediation, yoga - again, find something that works for you and use it often.

Hope that helps get you started. Any other things on your mind, things you're worried about that might ruin your quit? Lets talk about them and get a plan.

Rick
COMMA! 10/2/2015

Offline pbrain04

• Quitter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
(Murray State University but probably seminary in Indianapolis next year.. Yes I'm catholic and yes I'm considering a life without a woman.
dude...stay quit. There is no dip allowed in confessional

Offline CaliforniaSlim

• Quitter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Quote from: doc2quit4good
I don't really have no excuses I just didn't really think too much about it last night. The alcohol ain't a problem because my friends don't really drink and I don't either except one or two once in a blue moon. Not last night when I caved either. I didn't read too much on here at all yesterday when I decided to start and kinda just skimmed over the no nicotine at all part so when offered a type of menthol I said yes. It wasn't until I got home a looked back over the roll call saw no nicotine at all and then said oh shit  basically.  I used to be a pack a day guy a few years ago but now I rarely smoke unless offered one. But today it's going to be no nicotine at all.
Ooops! No excuses! Really didn't think much about it last night.... My friends don't really drink, except last night when they gave me some nicotine......... I just skimmed over the site that said no nicotine at all........

Hey Native. I don't know you. But I know about being an addict. You will have to realize that you are one before you can really quit here. I have to say that I really don't think that you should post here and smoke or dip or do whatever your tobacco addiction calls for. Don't get me wrong. I want to see you quit. We all do. I just don't think anyone wants to hear about nicotine usage here while you are posting roll. The goal is to be quit here. Not post and cave! I quit with you today! And don't drink with nicotine packed friends during the holidays for sure!!!!!
You have been given some very good advice. Take it and run. Remember, we were all dippers, but our addiction is to tobacco, and yes, that was a cave you had. If you block the chewing path, nicotine will tempt you with cigarettes, or a patch, or any other way it can find an unguarded path into your bloodstream.
As I was told, "keep your head on a swivel."
Fight the fight today. Get through today.

Offline Doc2quit4good

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quitting since 9/18/13!!!!
  • Quit Date: 9/18/13
  • Interests: Non motorized biking, Geetar, Jazz Music(Not Jazz Flute), Quitting Skoal Forever!
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I don't really have no excuses I just didn't really think too much about it last night. The alcohol ain't a problem because my friends don't really drink and I don't either except one or two once in a blue moon. Not last night when I caved either. I didn't read too much on here at all yesterday when I decided to start and kinda just skimmed over the no nicotine at all part so when offered a type of menthol I said yes. It wasn't until I got home a looked back over the roll call saw no nicotine at all and then said oh shit basically. I used to be a pack a day guy a few years ago but now I rarely smoke unless offered one. But today it's going to be no nicotine at all.
Ooops! No excuses! Really didn't think much about it last night.... My friends don't really drink, except last night when they gave me some nicotine......... I just skimmed over the site that said no nicotine at all........

Hey Native. I don't know you. But I know about being an addict. You will have to realize that you are one before you can really quit here. I have to say that I really don't think that you should post here and smoke or dip or do whatever your tobacco addiction calls for. Don't get me wrong. I want to see you quit. We all do. I just don't think anyone wants to hear about nicotine usage here while you are posting roll. The goal is to be quit here. Not post and cave! I quit with you today! And don't drink with nicotine packed friends during the holidays for sure!!!!!
NO MO SKOAL!!! I MEAN NEVER AGAIN!!!
Real Quit Day 9/18/2013 8th Floor 11/26/15
HOF day: 12/26/2013. 9th Floor 3/5/16
2nd Floor: 4/5/14 Comma Day 6/13/16!!!
3rd Floor 7/14/2014. 3 Years 9/18/6!!!
1 Year 9/17/2014. 11th Floor 9/21/16
4th Floor 10/22/14. 12th Floor 12/30/16
Half Comma 1/30/15. 13th Floor 4/8/17
6th Floor 5/10/15 4 Years 9/18/17!!!
7th Floor 8/18/15. 15th Floor 10/26/17
2 Years 9/17/15 16th Floor 2/3/18
5 Years 9/18/18  17th Floor 5/14/18
18th Floor 08/22/2018  19th Floor 11/30/18

Offline Native94

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »

Offline rickddd

• Quitter
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Quote from: Diesel2112
A tobacco growing, former dipper who wants to become a man of the cloth.

We truly do get all kinds here!!!

However, no matter if your priest or a elephant dung picker upper, if you're here...you are family

We will watch your back through thick and thin.

You're right, these next few weeks are going to be hard for you.  Not just because you're going to be home on Christmas break.

It would be hard if you were out in the middle of nowhere, in a fucking fallout shelter, in a hot air balloon, or on the moon.

Why?  Because you're an addict.

You have been poisoning yourself to a point that your body has become dependant on you doing so.  1 pinch is too much and 100 would never be enough. 

Even after 15 years of use I still used to overdose on dip.  I would load and reload to the point of literal sickness and throw up.  Didn't matter, I'd be dipping again in a couple hours, I would just "cool it a bit".   

Even at that time, I never thought of myself as an addict.  Just a guy with one bad vice. I often used to wonder "when will I stop this habbit?". Then I'd pop in a lip full and say "fuck it".  It wasn't until I had a sore on my lip and I went into a full blown panic attack thinking I had the big C, did it dawn on me that maaaayyybeee I had a bit more of a problem than I realized.

I was an ADDICT.  And I fucking HATED IT.  Not me, no way, I was "better" than that.  I wasn't.  I couldn't fool myself with that nonsense any longer. 

Luckily I found this place...its full of addicts, and they ain't half bad.  In fact they are pretty fucking normal, hell a lot of them are just like me. 

Were addicts, and so are you.  Big fucking deal. I can think of about a million worse things to be.  DEAD being at the top of the list.

You're a smart man for finding this site and deciding to quit at a young age.

I'm rambling on about this addict thing because many times I see young guys come through here with an arm full of good intentions, but fall off the map with a handful full of dick.

The main reason for that in my humble opinion is that they don't realize the seriousness of it all, and can't or won't admit they are controlled by weeds in can and are addicts.

If you can accept that fact, post your promise every day, and lean on those who have come before you as well as support those who walk with you.  Then, you have everything you need to be quit...just like the rest of us addicts.

Welcome.  If you need anything feel free to hit me up any time.

Quit on...
And this is just the kind of old fashioned cussing/ motivational speech/ bringing down to earth I needed. I did have a big head coming in here. But you sir just humbled me. And I can not thank you enough for that. Though I did not put the worm dirt in my lip tonight with my friends I accepted a few ciggarettes not thinking twice about it and thus caved already to some degree but I guess a cave is a cave(is that a cave though serious question just for clarification). Day 1 starts over tomorrow and I'm not gonna fall to tricks of nicotine, even if it means I have to call one of you boys crying like a baby. I feel a strong brotherhood of addicts and I'm glad I can begin my membership as a low man on the totem pole. Thanks for taking my cocky away diesel but thanks for truly helping a guy out because and that goes for all of y'all. I may have to try out the big red gum after all.
Sheesh, already a cave? Are you sure you want to quit? multiple people have given you the keys to stay quit in the early days - avoid alcohol, and avoid your friends who will give you nicotine and are NOT in your corner.

We can't quit for you, we can only help and provide support. you have to sack up and do it for yourself. if you aren't 100% committed to quitting, you're wasting everyone's time including your own.

Make a decision. I hope its the right one.

Rick
COMMA! 10/2/2015

Offline golfpro9696

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-12-09
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »

However, no matter if your priest or a elephant dung picker upper, if you're here...you are family

You're right, these next few weeks are going to be hard for you. Not just because you're going to be home on Christmas break.

It would be hard if you were out in the middle of nowhere, in a fucking fallout shelter, in a hot air balloon, or on the moon.

Why? Because you're an addict.

You have been poisoning yourself to a point that your body has become dependant on you doing so. 1 pinch is too much and 100 would never be enough.

Even after 15 years of use I still used to overdose on dip. I would load and reload to the point of literal sickness and throw up. Didn't matter, I'd be dipping again in a couple hours, I would just "cool it a bit".

Even at that time, I never thought of myself as an addict. Just a guy with one bad vice. I often used to wonder "when will I stop this habbit?". Then I'd pop in a lip full and say "fuck it". It wasn't until I had a sore on my lip and I went into a full blown panic attack thinking I had the big C, did it dawn on me that maaaayyybeee I had a bit more of a problem than I realized.

I was an ADDICT. And I fucking HATED IT. Not me, no way, I was "better" than that. I wasn't. I couldn't fool myself with that nonsense any longer.

Luckily I found this place...its full of addicts, and they ain't half bad. In fact they are pretty fucking normal, hell a lot of them are just like me.

Were addicts, and so are you. Big fucking deal. I can think of about a million worse things to be. DEAD being at the top of the list.

I'm rambling on about this addict thing because many times I see young guys come through here with an arm full of good intentions, but fall off the map with a handful full of dick.

The main reason for that in my humble opinion is that they don't realize the seriousness of it all, and can't or won't admit they are controlled by weeds in can and are addicts.

If you can accept that fact, post your promise every day, and lean on those who have come before you as well as support those who walk with you. Then, you have everything you need to be quit...just like the rest of us addicts.

Welcome. If you need anything feel free to hit me up any time.

Quit on...
http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/s

That's one of the best posts I've read here so far  there are a LOT of good posts.

ODAAT
Quit Date: 12/9/2013
HOF Date: 3/18/2014
15th Floor: 1/16/2018
1 Year: 12/9/2014
2 Year: 12/9/2015
3 Year: 12/9/2016
4 Year: 12/9/2017

Proud member of March '14 Ironmen

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »

You're right, these next few weeks are going to be hard for you.  Not just because you're going to be home on Christmas break.

Why?  Because you're an addict.

You have been poisoning yourself to a point that your body has become dependant on you doing so.  1 pinch is too much and 100 would never be enough. 

Even after 15 years of use I still used to overdose on dip.  I would load and reload to the point of literal sickness and throw up.  Didn't matter, I'd be dipping again in a couple hours, I would just "cool it a bit".   

Even at that time, I never thought of myself as an addict.  Just a guy with one bad vice. I often used to wonder "when will I stop this habbit?". Then I'd pop in a lip full and say "fuck it".  It wasn't until I had a sore on my lip and I went into a full blown panic attack thinking I had the big C, did it dawn on me that maaaayyybeee I had a bit more of a problem than I realized.

I was an ADDICT.  And I fucking HATED IT.  Not me, no way, I was "better" than that.  I wasn't.  I couldn't fool myself with that nonsense any longer. 

Luckily I found this place...its full of addicts, and they ain't half bad.  In fact they are pretty fucking normal, hell a lot of them are just like me. 

Were addicts, and so are you.  Big fucking deal. I can think of about a million worse things to be.  DEAD being at the top of the list.

If you can accept that fact, post your promise every day, and lean on those who have come before you as well as support those who walk with you.  Then, you have everything you need to be quit...just like the rest of us addicts.

Welcome.  If you need anything feel free to hit me up any time.

Quit on...
And this is just the kind of old fashioned cussing/ motivational speech/ bringing down to earth I needed. I did have a big head coming in here. But you sir just humbled me. And I can not thank you enough for that. Though I did not put the worm dirt in my lip tonight with my friends I accepted a few ciggarettes not thinking twice about it and thus caved already to some degree but I guess a cave is a cave(is that a cave though serious question just for clarification). Day 1 starts over tomorrow and I'm not gonna fall to tricks of nicotine, even if it means I have to call one of you boys crying like a baby. I feel a strong brotherhood of addicts and I'm glad I can begin my membership as a low man on the totem pole. Thanks for taking my cocky away diesel but thanks for truly helping a guy out because and that goes for all of y'all. I may have to try out the big red gum after all.
Of course that's a cave. You're a nicotine addict, not just a dip addict.

Now just focus on making it through TODAY, without any nicotine.

Tomorrow...well we worry about that when if gets here. For now focus on today.

Start this by posting day 1 in the March 2014 quit group.

You CAN do this, if you WANT to and are going to take it serious.

If you are going to contunue to party with your boys and are unwilling to sacrifice some nights out, or give up drinking beers (a known quit killer) for awhile. Then you are destin to fail, and cannot be taken serious.

Up to you, sport.
Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

"Celebrate the moment as it turns into one more"..
"You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win, win without a fight".
"Onion rings...funyons. A connection? Yeah. I fucking think so."
"Honest Abe had a fake jaw".
"In a world that seems so small, I can't stop thinking big"
"Someone set a bad example. Made surrender seem all right
The act of a noble warrior. Who lost the will to fight."

Offline ccauley86

• Quitter
  • Interests: Reading, History, Gaming, Spending Time Outdoors with my Wife, Music, Movies, my job!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
No nicotine in any form.

Smoking is a cave.