Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2215 times)

Offline AgLawyer

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Travelin, hikin, liftin and quittin
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
Quote from: ktb1764
For whatever reason, yesterday and today have been really tough. The cravings have been really persistent. Actually, the worst cravings since I started my quit.

I work in an office with 15 people and 5 smoke and 4 dip, so nic is all around me. They all know I'm quit, so they leave me alone, but for whatever reason, the last couple of days, I see their cans, see them dipping, and I start feeling craves.

I even found my self thinking that I could get away with just one ... can you fucking believe that? I am a damn nicotine addict, and I sat there thinking that I could have just one dip. Yeah, right. I'm really pissed off at myself for even thinking about it.

The good news is that I'm quit. But I am sure dissipointed that, after the hell of the past 17 days, I could actually sit in my office and even allow the thought that I can get away with just one enter my head. I knew I'd have cravings and I know I'll have more of them in the future, but I guess I thought my brain was past debating that "one more is ok." Obviously not.
Craves are lame. You got this. We have intelligent minds - things run thru them that are crazy all day long, like having thoughts of having "just one." The distinction is that it takes a lot of energy to act on it. Just do something else. The fleeting mental crave blips are stupid.

Good job getting close to that 20. Keep it up.

Offline Mr Nice Guy

• Quitter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
"I still need gas but I'm still quit."

I LOVE this. At all costs baby.

Offline MattMan

• Quitter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
For whatever reason, yesterday and today have been really tough. The cravings have been really persistent. Actually, the worst cravings since I started my quit.

I work in an office with 15 people and 5 smoke and 4 dip, so nic is all around me. They all know I'm quit, so they leave me alone, but for whatever reason, the last couple of days, I see their cans, see them dipping, and I start feeling craves.

I even found my self thinking that I could get away with just one ... can you fucking believe that? I am a damn nicotine addict, and I sat there thinking that I could have just one dip. Yeah, right. I'm really pissed off at myself for even thinking about it.

The good news is that I'm quit. But I am sure dissipointed that, after the hell of the past 17 days, I could actually sit in my office and even allow the thought that I can get away with just one enter my head. I knew I'd have cravings and I know I'll have more of them in the future, but I guess I thought my brain was past debating that "one more is ok." Obviously not.
Well, well, well. I posted just about the exact same thing about an hour ago.

It's good to know we are not going this alone. We can not rationalize that "Just one" is OK or that "I deserve just one. Look at what I have accomplished!"

Keep strong my brother. We can do this.
Day 1 - 10/18/2011
span style='font-family:Geneva'HOF - 01/25/2012
/span

Little men with little minds and little imaginations go through life in little ruts, smugly resisting all changes which would jar their little worlds. /// Zig Ziglar

Offline ktb1764

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »

Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Hard candy, gum, seeds, fake dip, any damn thing you can think of other than dip. Just put something in your mouth and drink lots of water.

You CAN do this man.
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline bigsky406

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Quote from: wastepanel
I'm only on Day 3 and am taking this one day at a time, but I'm also trying to think a little ahead so I can be ready for whatever is thrown at me.

This weekend, I am with family.  While it is a struggle, there are a lot of distractions with the family to help keep me nic-free.  As I sit here typing this, my mind keeps thinking about Monday morning, though, and I start getting really nervous.  Maybe I'm not supposed to think that far ahead, but in my mind, I need to address this 800 lb gorilla that is staring me in the face.

The 55 minute drive to work every day was prime nic time.  From the time I left the driveway to when I got to the office, me and the bitch were hand in hand.  I know I can't be the only person to be in this situation, so I'd appreciate any advice on preparing for what I know will be coming.  I've thought about leaving all of my cash, ATM card, and credit cards at home.  None of the dealers along the way will give the shit away, so that will take away any option for the trip.  I really don't need any money during the week, except for gas and I can take care of that once I get home.  It's probably not a long-term solution - driving around without any cash or credit cards - but long term means nothing right now unless I get by the short term. The odds are pretty high that I'll be craving during the drive.  But I'll do whatever it takes to keep the shit out of my mouth.

Anyway - I'd appreciate any other strategies that you vets have found that worked for this situation.  I've got some numbers and I know I can use them if necessary.  I just wanted to have as many strategies as possible ready.
First off, we do quit on day at a time. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with identifying and planning for triggers. I applaud you sir.

With that being said, I would plan on gassing up Sunday. That avoids you having to stop anywhere on your way into the office. Secondly, I would eat breakfast, get your coffee, get a blowee all at home before you leave. Don't plan on stopping for this stuff.

Load up on seeds, gum, fake stuff before you leave the house. Plug your face with seeds before you start. It helps.

Finally, call somebody if you really get in trouble. It's what we are Herr for.
Wastepanel speaks wise words.

Planning is good, but really the most important thing is to focus on one day at a time.

Seeds and fake shit are huge. Do you have some numbers? Post in your group and see if there's anyone who can be available to chat with you for a half hour or so on the ride. If you're talking to a quit buddy about your quit you're not going to feel inclined to pull off and stick that shit in your mouth.

Your car can magically drive to the store on it's own. Your wallet doesn't throw itself on the counter. The only person who can make you chew again is yourself. It is incumbent upon you to do everything in your power to keep your promise. Letting yourself or your group down is just not an option, so you have to focus on that as you think about your Monday commute. You have to start telling yourself that while Monday is going to suck, buying a can is just not an available option so you have to get used to that thought.

Get numbers and use them. That's going to be huge.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I'm only on Day 3 and am taking this one day at a time, but I'm also trying to think a little ahead so I can be ready for whatever is thrown at me.

This weekend, I am with family. While it is a struggle, there are a lot of distractions with the family to help keep me nic-free. As I sit here typing this, my mind keeps thinking about Monday morning, though, and I start getting really nervous. Maybe I'm not supposed to think that far ahead, but in my mind, I need to address this 800 lb gorilla that is staring me in the face.

The 55 minute drive to work every day was prime nic time. From the time I left the driveway to when I got to the office, me and the bitch were hand in hand. I know I can't be the only person to be in this situation, so I'd appreciate any advice on preparing for what I know will be coming. I've thought about leaving all of my cash, ATM card, and credit cards at home. None of the dealers along the way will give the shit away, so that will take away any option for the trip. I really don't need any money during the week, except for gas and I can take care of that once I get home. It's probably not a long-term solution - driving around without any cash or credit cards - but long term means nothing right now unless I get by the short term. The odds are pretty high that I'll be craving during the drive. But I'll do whatever it takes to keep the shit out of my mouth.

Anyway - I'd appreciate any other strategies that you vets have found that worked for this situation. I've got some numbers and I know I can use them if necessary. I just wanted to have as many strategies as possible ready.
First off, we do quit on day at a time. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with identifying and planning for triggers. I applaud you sir.

With that being said, I would plan on gassing up Sunday. That avoids you having to stop anywhere on your way into the office. Secondly, I would eat breakfast, get your coffee, get a blowee all at home before you leave. Don't plan on stopping for this stuff.

Load up on seeds, gum, fake stuff before you leave the house. Plug your face with seeds before you start. It helps.

Finally, call somebody if you really get in trouble. It's what we are Herr for.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline ktb1764

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »

This weekend, I am with family. While it is a struggle, there are a lot of distractions with the family to help keep me nic-free. As I sit here typing this, my mind keeps thinking about Monday morning, though, and I start getting really nervous. Maybe I'm not supposed to think that far ahead, but in my mind, I need to address this 800 lb gorilla that is staring me in the face.

The 55 minute drive to work every day was prime nic time. From the time I left the driveway to when I got to the office, me and the bitch were hand in hand. I know I can't be the only person to be in this situation, so I'd appreciate any advice on preparing for what I know will be coming. I've thought about leaving all of my cash, ATM card, and credit cards at home. None of the dealers along the way will give the shit away, so that will take away any option for the trip. I really don't need any money during the week, except for gas and I can take care of that once I get home. It's probably not a long-term solution - driving around without any cash or credit cards - but long term means nothing right now unless I get by the short term. The odds are pretty high that I'll be craving during the drive. But I'll do whatever it takes to keep the shit out of my mouth.

Anyway - I'd appreciate any other strategies that you vets have found that worked for this situation. I've got some numbers and I know I can use them if necessary. I just wanted to have as many strategies as possible ready.
Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Hey brother. Great quit! I quit about 1 year ago, who knew it could be done? It can, with this group. Post everyday and read like mad. If you need help you can count on me. Just shoot a PM.

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Just posted Day 1 (hope I did it right).

Dipper/smoker for 30+ years. Just flushed my dip and crushed the cigarettes.

Started dipping in little league - funny thing was parents thought it was sort of cute back them.
Congrats on making the best choice that you can ever make. Like you, I started chewing in little league when I was 10...no one ever questioned it, which now that I think about it really pisses me off. Anyway, it took me 34 years to figure it out and take my life back from the can. I'm on day 157 this morning and had my first tobacco free Thanksgiving yesterday. You can do this too.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to get hooked up with some guys here, exchange phone numbers so you can call/text when you're having the big cravings, and boost your accountability. Change up your routine...go somewhere new to get your gas...it's the old habits that will try and trip you up. Lastly, have a plan...think about all the things that you used to do (that you thought couldn't be done without tobacco) and write them down. Prepare yourself for the triggers and craves ahead of time and you'll be much better off when they come knocking.

Read as much as you can on this site for the next few days. It will suck...which is why we call the first three days "The Suck", but it does get better. You just have to be strong and power through them. Reach out to your brothers and sisters here when you need to, there's no shame in asking for help. Check your inbox, I'll send you my number. I'll quit with you today, and every day, if you'll post your promise and keep your word. 'archer'

Offline steve1357

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Browns, Indians, Buckeyes.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Thought everything was going great this morning. Needed gas in the car, and went to the same c-store that I used to buy dip and smokes from. Big fucking mistake.

Got to the pump and my heart starting racing, and all I could think about was buying a can or a pack - hell that's all I've done here for the past decade. It was fucking incredible that simply going into a store parking lot could trigger that kind of immediate response.

I got back in the car without getting any gas and drove home. I still need gas but I'm still quit. I gotta watch out for these triggers. I didn't see it coming - maybe I should have. Now I know I'll need another plan for gassing up the car.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Way to go, way to beat that crave. Feels good to say FU to the nic bitch, doesn't it.

Pay at the pump- Great invention; do not even need to go inside to see your old drug dealer. I know it helped save my quit early on.

Offline ktb1764

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Thought everything was going great this morning. Needed gas in the car, and went to the same c-store that I used to buy dip and smokes from. Big fucking mistake.

Got to the pump and my heart starting racing, and all I could think about was buying a can or a pack - hell that's all I've done here for the past decade. It was fucking incredible that simply going into a store parking lot could trigger that kind of immediate response.

I got back in the car without getting any gas and drove home. I still need gas but I'm still quit. I gotta watch out for these triggers. I didn't see it coming - maybe I should have. Now I know I'll need another plan for gassing up the car.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Offline davidc67

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2011-03-03
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the support.

I was watching the Texas - Texas AM football game last night and realized that it was the first non-tobacco sporting event I had watched in over 25 years. Don't know why that thought hit me, but I found it revealing.

So I watched it, ate a ton of seeds, and drank what seemed to be a gallon of water. Slept like shit, though.

So right now, I'm tired, shittin seeds, pissing salt water, but I am breathing quit. And on this Friday, November 25 at 5:50 am, that sounds PRETTY. FUCKING. GREAT.
It will start getting better. Three days to get that f***ing poison out of your body and then you can start healing. Seeds and water are an excellent idea. I also used gum and exercise. I ran my ass into the ground and then hit the weights. Whatever it takes to stay quit!!!! Congrats bro... Dave
Quit Date: March 3, 2011 @ 10:10 AM I took my life back.
HOF Date: June 10, 2011
Second Floor: Sept 18, 2011
Third Floor: Dec 27, 2011
One Year: March 1, 2012 (leap year)
Fourth Floor: April 5, 2012
Fifth Floor: July 14, 2012
Six Floor: October 22, 2012
Seventh Floor: January 30, 2013
Eighth Floor: May 10th, 2013
Ninth Floor: August 18th, 2013
Comma: November 26th, 2013
Three years: March 1st, 2014
Eleventh Floor: March 6th, 2014
Twelfth Floor: June 14th, 2014

Offline Gold Lid Addict

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
stay with it man it's worth it, one day at a time, it does get better soon.

Offline ktb1764

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
Thanks for the support.

I was watching the Texas - Texas AM football game last night and realized that it was the first non-tobacco sporting event I had watched in over 25 years. Don't know why that thought hit me, but I found it revealing.

So I watched it, ate a ton of seeds, and drank what seemed to be a gallon of water. Slept like shit, though.

So right now, I'm tired, shittin seeds, pissing salt water, but I am breathing quit. And on this Friday, November 25 at 5:50 am, that sounds PRETTY. FUCKING. GREAT.