Author Topic: Today is the day  (Read 3694 times)

Offline lwildma2

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 9-9-15
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Today is the day
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
This morning I had a crazy experience. At 50 hours after quit I was working on this big report for work. I had probably spent 20 mins focusing on one section of print and my mind went blank and I zoned out for 10 seconds at most. As my mind was starting to process again, I had this overwhelming feeling of guilt. It was 10-15 seconds later I realized I tasted Copenhagen Straight and then could smell it and had a feeling of release. I swiped my tongue through my lip and felt a wad. I stopped and panicked. I sat at my desk for a couple of minutes and was going through guilt like no tomorrow. I finally got through the feelings and got up and went to the bathroom. I went in a stall and spit out the wad. There were 10 raisins floating in the stool.

I have been using raisins as a crutch for an oral fixation and normally I can keep them in as a dip for a minute or two and then eat them and the craving has passed. I guess I was so focused on work the NB tried to take over and get me to think I had caved. It was the oddest experience. I remember thinking that I did roll call this morning and there is no way I am breaking my QUIT. I don't have any chew and was freaking out on where or when I had gotten some.

This brotherhood is awesome and I don't know if I would still have my Quit without it. For all those who have said they QUIT WITH ME, I want to send you a thank you from the bottom of my heart because of that brief phrase I was able to snap back into reality and kick NB back to the curb.

I quit with all of you today and will see you on roll call in the morning.

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
Quote from: lwildma2
Quote from: CaseyB
After a couple of years of half hearted attempts to quit, today is the day it will be my last. I had my first dip at the age of 8 and started chewing full time at the age of 14. Now I am 29 and tobacco will have no part of my life any longer. I have had many friends and coworkers kick the can and I have not been ready to until now. The big wake up call was a friend who passed away from cancer yesterday morning. He had always encouraged me to quit and I never took it to heart. Today is the day. Some of you may have seen Gruen's story. http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Gruen.html Is the link to a website that shares his story. I am quitting for Gruen and most importantly I am quitting for myself.
Hours 12 and 13 have been hell. I have been paying homage to the porcelain god for 2 hours. Ended about 20 mins ago and am feeling better.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The only thing I can think of is I picked up a can of mint dip and tried it for 10 mins and got sick 30 mins after I spit it out.
I did one night in my second week. Vertigo, hot and cold spells, then talking to my cousin Ralph. After that, smooth sailing.

The depression was a bitch though.
I am most worried about depression. I have fought it before. Trying to keep playing the upbeat drum that I have beaten my addiction for 37 hours. ODAAT.

Today was a little better. Fog wasn't as bad and used some mint chew through the day. Bad cravings after dinner tonight. Got on the phone and called the girlfriend and got my mind off of it. Reading some more on here and will hit the bed and hope I get some better sleep.

Quit on everyone and see you at roll call.
Sleep, water, and exercise. I can't stress this enough early on. Just push through this initial stuff. It won't last forever. Quit will.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline lwildma2

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
Quote from: CaseyB
After a couple of years of half hearted attempts to quit, today is the day it will be my last. I had my first dip at the age of 8 and started chewing full time at the age of 14. Now I am 29 and tobacco will have no part of my life any longer. I have had many friends and coworkers kick the can and I have not been ready to until now. The big wake up call was a friend who passed away from cancer yesterday morning. He had always encouraged me to quit and I never took it to heart. Today is the day. Some of you may have seen Gruen's story. http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Gruen.html Is the link to a website that shares his story. I am quitting for Gruen and most importantly I am quitting for myself.
Hours 12 and 13 have been hell. I have been paying homage to the porcelain god for 2 hours. Ended about 20 mins ago and am feeling better.

The only thing I can think of is I picked up a can of mint dip and tried it for 10 mins and got sick 30 mins after I spit it out.
I did one night in my second week. Vertigo, hot and cold spells, then talking to my cousin Ralph. After that, smooth sailing.

I am most worried about depression. I have fought it before. Trying to keep playing the upbeat drum that I have beaten my addiction for 37 hours. ODAAT.

Today was a little better. Fog wasn't as bad and used some mint chew through the day. Bad cravings after dinner tonight. Got on the phone and called the girlfriend and got my mind off of it. Reading some more on here and will hit the bed and hope I get some better sleep.

Quit on everyone and see you at roll call.

Offline CaseyB

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-08-17
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »

Howdy. They say the pen is mightier than the sword, and I'm a writer who collects pokey things. Basically you're boned either way.

Offline lwildma2

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
Quote from: Andre

Sounds like you are in the throws of the suck! We don't call it the suck for nothing. Just keep pressing quit. And it will get better. But remember how bad this day sucks. Because at some point, I guarantee you will have thoughts being cured. You won't ever be cured of this addiction, but we will never have to do day one again. Unless you cave. It's easy man, wake up, post roll, keep your promise all day long and the repeat.
I will keep pressing quit. I am so glad I found this site. The information and support blows me away. Wish I would have seen this when I failed to quit 18 months ago. Now I need to get some sleep so I can wake up to post roll again.

Offline DRock88

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-05-15
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to the story. That will help me stay strong with my quit.

Offline Andre the Grande

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »

Sounds like you are in the throws of the suck! We don't call it the suck for nothing. Just keep pressing quit. And it will get better. But remember how bad this day sucks. Because at some point, I guarantee you will have thoughts being cured. You won't ever be cured of this addiction, but we will never have to do day one again. Unless you cave. It's easy man, wake up, post roll, keep your promise all day long and the repeat.
6/1/15=quit.  “The lesser of evil is still evil” Jerry Garcia

Offline lwildma2

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
Quote from: KingNothing
Congratulations on your decision and sincerest condolences to Gruen's family and friends, including yourself. One thing about this fight that I would be remiss to not point out is that this must be for yourself. I know you said it was for you, but it seems like you're quitting to honor Gruen's memory, or perhaps because you're scared of cancer. Both are great motivators in this battle, but ultimately, the only thing that will keep you quit is your desire to be free from the slavery of nicotine addiction.

Grief and loss cannot motivate you to quit because eventually the edge of those emotions wanes and the temptress will be right there waiting to coddle you with her poison. I hope this quit is truly for yourself because it truly is a blessing to be able to fight this fight everyday. The first few days are debilitating at times, but with the accountability and brotherhood of this site, you can make it through that. Believe me when I tell you it gets better and you can control your nicotine addiction by quitting one day at a time.

Glad to have you in the fold, let's get to quitting.
This quit is for me. Everything else is enlightenment to my addiction.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I will stay active and keep reading. This is the first day of the rest of my life Nic free.
Glad to hear it. Reading the site kept me sane for the first two weeks. I was pretty unproductive in every area of my life except for quitting for those first couple weeks, but here I sit at 62 now, so it must have worked. Words of Wisdom is a great place to start. Hall of Fame Speeches are awesome too if you get through Words of Wisdom. Keep it up brother, it gets easier.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline lwildma2

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
Quote from: KingNothing
Congratulations on your decision and sincerest condolences to Gruen's family and friends, including yourself. One thing about this fight that I would be remiss to not point out is that this must be for yourself. I know you said it was for you, but it seems like you're quitting to honor Gruen's memory, or perhaps because you're scared of cancer. Both are great motivators in this battle, but ultimately, the only thing that will keep you quit is your desire to be free from the slavery of nicotine addiction.

Grief and loss cannot motivate you to quit because eventually the edge of those emotions wanes and the temptress will be right there waiting to coddle you with her poison. I hope this quit is truly for yourself because it truly is a blessing to be able to fight this fight everyday. The first few days are debilitating at times, but with the accountability and brotherhood of this site, you can make it through that. Believe me when I tell you it gets better and you can control your nicotine addiction by quitting one day at a time.

This quit is for me. Everything else is enlightenment to my addiction.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I will stay active and keep reading. This is the first day of the rest of my life Nic free.

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Offline Corbin

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Congrats on the best decision of your life and welcome to KTC. This place has all you need to be successful, just read as much as you can and get involved with your group. Great Job posting roll. I am sorry about your friend who pasted, my thoughts and prayers go out to those who were close to him. Quit with you today brother.

Corbin 175

Offline lwildma2

• Quitter
Today is the day
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »