Author Topic: This is Day 1  (Read 3247 times)

Offline MedStudent

• Quitter
  • Interests: Running, flying, biking, backpacking, just being outdoors
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: This is Day 1
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Quote from: bigbamadan
You think you got all the answers huh? Look dude...I'ms sure yous a real smart guy that is always used to excelling far above your peers. I work at a university with a highly regarded medical school. I'm used to dealing with cohorts who think their shit don't stink. You know I'm 100% cool with that. I want the person in charge of my medical care to be some uber douche that has busted their ass to become the cream of the crop.

What I aint cool with is some uber douche that aint open to accepting the fact that they possibly dont got all the answers.

We know how to quit sir. You apparently just know how to talk about quitting. Get this done now.  Quit lurking at the bottom of the page.

The fake you are waiting on is not the magic bullet.
Oh, it definitely stinks.
Quit Day: 6/20/2011
1st Floor: 9/27/2011

YOU GET TO DECIDE WHETHER A "TRIGGER" BECOMES AN EXCUSE TO CAVE OR AN OPPORTUNITY TO STRENGTHEN YOUR QUIT, AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT EXCUSES...

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Quote from: MedStudent
No doubt that I am a nicotine addict. It's true, waiting around for the fake stuff to get here delays the inevitable as it is not what is going to get me through the physical nicotine withdrawal. Thank you for continuing to point out that "Tomorrow" is the addiction talking and not what is best for me. I flushed the last of my stuff, am not chewing now nor will I for the remainder of the night. Consider this my posting roll for day 0. I'll post day 1 tomorrow morning.
There is no day zero , go to rollcall . Post your day one. Welcome to the ring.
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline MedStudent

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
No doubt that I am a nicotine addict. It's true, waiting around for the fake stuff to get here delays the inevitable as it is not what is going to get me through the physical nicotine withdrawal. Thank you for continuing to point out that "Tomorrow" is the addiction talking and not what is best for me. I flushed the last of my stuff, am not chewing now nor will I for the remainder of the night. Consider this my posting roll for day 0. I'll post day 1 tomorrow morning.

YOU GET TO DECIDE WHETHER A "TRIGGER" BECOMES AN EXCUSE TO CAVE OR AN OPPORTUNITY TO STRENGTHEN YOUR QUIT, AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT EXCUSES...

Offline bigbamadan

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-03-23
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
You think you got all the answers huh? Look dude...I'ms sure yous a real smart guy that is always used to excelling far above your peers. I work at a university with a highly regarded medical school. I'm used to dealing with cohorts who think their shit don't stink. You know I'm 100% cool with that. I want the person in charge of my medical care to be some uber douche that has busted their ass to become the cream of the crop.

What I aint cool with is some uber douche that aint open to accepting the fact that they possibly dont got all the answers.

We know how to quit sir. You apparently just know how to talk about quitting. Get this done now. Quit lurking at the bottom of the page.

The fake you are waiting on is not the magic bullet.
Quit: 3/23/10
All good things in all good time.

Offline Leahy16

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
This is actually bsim posting under my old alias. Thanks to Ready for getting the ball rolling and thanks to LOOT for finding it for me. I guess noonelikesaquitter isn't the first to call "bullshit," but as far as the alias is concerned, is the first to be proven wrong. In terms of the quit, the rest of you will see.

As far as not wasting your guys' time, according to the site guidelines, it seems O.K. for me to post in the "Intro" section prior to posting roll for the first time. This was posted by Remsot in the "If you are planning to quit, read this section first" section:

"That doesnÂ’t mean you have to leave. Please feel free to post in the Cafe`. Ask questions, start making contacts. Learn. Post in the Introductions area. Many quitters will respond to you in both of these areas. We have a chat room. You can also go into there for some live chat. When you are ready, and want to post day 1, find your quit group and post up. It will be a day you never forget."

The below quote posted by Russter helps me to get an idea where all this animosity is coming from.

"What got my attention here versus other sites was they said to put the can down NOW! Every other site I had looked at said to plan your quit. Well I don't know about you...but I know plans can change, because I changed my quit plans plenty of times! NOW sounded pretty interesting. NOW sounded immediate, and I desperately NEEDED that!"

I see that QUIT NOW! is a major theme of this site and a strongly held belief among those among those of you who choose to criticize my approach to this. And I guess I use the word "criticize" lightly, because some of the comments sound borderline psychotic to me. As far as I'm concerned, those of you with nothing decent to say are just childish bullies with issues that span beyond nicotine. I've got nothing more to say about that.

I've also been called a hypocrite. Why? Because I've fallen off the wagon just like 90% of the people here? Every single one of us is here because we aren't perfect, yet some of you dance around and discredit my previous quits because I failed...JUST LIKE YOU HAVE. I'd even be willing to bet that some of you, prior to making it to the HOF (strong work, by the way) have actually failed more times than I have. Someone said that I think I am above all of this, but that's about the most hypocritical thing I've read, coming from a guy who was once in my shoes yet refuses to offer any kind of wisdom or support based on his own real experience. It's a discredit to himself and a total waste.

I honestly appreciate the help of supportive individuals as I continue to struggle with this addiction. I know that many disagree with my having a plan to approach this quit, but that's how I am going to do this for myself. I guess that makes it sound as if am ignoring the advice of people who have made an effort to be supportive and suggest that I quit now. I am sorry for giving that impression. Let's just remember that quitting, above all else, is a personal struggle that should be addressed in a personal way. If there was a cookie-cutter approach to quitting that worked for everyone, there would be no need for this site. These exact thoughts are echoed in the mission statement posted by iuchewie:

"We realize that there are a variety of ways to be successful quitting chew. We will NOT tell you that one way is better than another, but we will tell you our experience and what has worked for us. We will also tell you when you are doing something counterproductive to your quit. This quit is for you and about you. We are simply here to aid you along your journey. If you need "tough love" we will give that. If you need encouragement we will give that. If you need to be scared into quitting we will do that."

I am going to re-post my intro under the correct alias which I am using now and delete the bsim account which I started yesterday. If some of you want to go on and continue with unproductive rants, that is fine. Just know that you are making the choice to waste your own time, and don't accuse me of wasting it for you. And finally, I wouldn't have taken the time to write this if I weren't serious about quitting and sincere in the fact that I really do need support from all of you throughout the process. Thanks in advance.
Is the "plan" that you've come up with any different from the one you came up with in 2007 when you first signed on to this site? My guess is that it's pretty similar...so far that hasn't worked so well. Maybe you should try the way that is advocated on this site.

BTW, I disagree with you about there not being a "cookie-cutter" approach to quitting. There IS one and it DOES work. Flush the dip, post roll, keep your word today, repeat tomorrow. Simple, but it does work.

Maybe what you don't understand is that you have committed the virtual equivalent of walking into an AA meeting with a six-pack and told us you will give up drinking when you're done with your beers. I'm sure you can see that's not too cool and why you have received the "welcome" that you have.

Go back home, finish your six-pack, come back when you're ready...all these same A-holes will be willing to help you when you need it. By my calculation that will be about 12-15 hours after your last dip, when you're thinking that re-taking the M-CAT's would be more fun than climbing out of the shit-hole you dug for yourself.

One last piece of unsolicited advice...try re-reading these comments after you've convinced yourself that you've known all of these people for many, many years. That they care. And that you're essentially the dude everyone is focused on in the show "Intervention"...the addict, Doctor. The addict!
Quit Date Jun 5, 2011; HOF Sep 12, 2011; 1,000 days Feb 28, 2014

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I see that QUIT NOW! is a major theme of this site and a strongly held belief among those among those of you who choose to criticize my approach to this. And I guess I use the word "criticize" lightly, because some of the comments sound borderline psychotic to me. As far as I'm concerned, those of you with nothing decent to say are just childish bullies with issues that span beyond nicotine. I've got nothing more to say about that.
You are an addict. Your words are all addict speak for "tomorrow".

Your mentality doesn't fit with our methodology. And I applaud anyone protecting the group from you getting in the pool...I don't want you pissing in the pool. I'm glad they got my back protecting their quit along with mine. Because that's what they are doing. Protecting the group in calling you out.

Do you want to be quit? Ask yourself that. Can you picture a MS without nicotine? Does he exist? Do he exist with all the side effects of withdrawal? Does he exist while facing the cravings? Does he exist with all the difficult decisions he'll face not to use? Can you see him? IMO that's when you can answer the question "can I quit?" and hits upon the quit now mentality.

I'm uneasy speaking on methodology of the site. I'm a newbie for what its worth. The message I understand from the group is one that resonates with me. Quit today. Stop fucking around. Embrace the program. If its not right for you, get off OUR lawn.

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65
Quote from: Smokeyg
This is actually bsim posting under my old alias. Thanks to Ready for getting the ball rolling and thanks to LOOT for finding it for me. I guess noonelikesaquitter isn't the first to call "bullshit," but as far as the alias is concerned, is the first to be proven wrong. In terms of the quit, the rest of you will see.

As far as not wasting your guys' time, according to the site guidelines, it seems O.K. for me to post in the "Intro" section prior to posting roll for the first time. This was posted by Remsot in the "If you are planning to quit, read this section first" section:

"That doesnÂ’t mean you have to leave. Please feel free to post in the Cafe`. Ask questions, start making contacts. Learn. Post in the Introductions area. Many quitters will respond to you in both of these areas. We have a chat room. You can also go into there for some live chat. When you are ready, and want to post day 1, find your quit group and post up. It will be a day you never forget."

The below quote posted by Russter helps me to get an idea where all this animosity is coming from.

"What got my attention here versus other sites was they said to put the can down NOW! Every other site I had looked at said to plan your quit. Well I don't know about you...but I know plans can change, because I changed my quit plans plenty of times! NOW sounded pretty interesting. NOW sounded immediate, and I desperately NEEDED that!"

I've also been called a hypocrite. Why? Because I've fallen off the wagon just like 90% of the people here? Every single one of us is here because we aren't perfect, yet some of you dance around and discredit my previous quits because I failed...JUST LIKE YOU HAVE. I'd even be willing to bet that some of you, prior to making it to the HOF (strong work, by the way) have actually failed more times than I have. Someone said that I think I am above all of this, but that's about the most hypocritical thing I've read, coming from a guy who was once in my shoes yet refuses to offer any kind of wisdom or support based on his own real experience. It's a discredit to himself and a total waste.

I honestly appreciate the help of supportive individuals as I continue to struggle with this addiction. I know that many disagree with my having a plan to approach this quit, but that's how I am going to do this for myself. I guess that makes it sound as if am ignoring the advice of people who have made an effort to be supportive and suggest that I quit now. I am sorry for giving that impression. Let's just remember that quitting, above all else, is a personal struggle that should be addressed in a personal way. If there was a cookie-cutter approach to quitting that worked for everyone, there would be no need for this site. These exact thoughts are echoed in the mission statement posted by iuchewie:

"We realize that there are a variety of ways to be successful quitting chew. We will NOT tell you that one way is better than another, but we will tell you our experience and what has worked for us. We will also tell you when you are doing something counterproductive to your quit. This quit is for you and about you. We are simply here to aid you along your journey. If you need "tough love" we will give that. If you need encouragement we will give that. If you need to be scared into quitting we will do that."

I am going to re-post my intro under the correct alias which I am using now and delete the bsim account which I started yesterday. If some of you want to go on and continue with unproductive rants, that is fine. Just know that you are making the choice to waste your own time, and don't accuse me of wasting it for you. And finally, I wouldn't have taken the time to write this if I weren't serious about quitting and sincere in the fact that I really do need support from all of you throughout the process. Thanks in advance.
I am an addict. You are an addict.

You are a chewer making the choice to continue to chew. I have zero respect for you and your future tense quit rhetoric.
I am not surprised that your addiction to nicotine includes previous attempts to stop using nicotine. I'm not surprised that your addiction to nicotine includes the thought you can have just one more. I'm not surprised that your addiction to nicotine includes the thought of quitting tomorrow or on your terms. This is addict talk. I should know. I am a drug addict.

Welcome to a group of drug addicts. We understand. We are not asking that you quit forever...just for today. Not tomorrow, today. Trust me when I say this, you can not bullshit a room full of drug addicts. Maybe a room full of "normal people" but not drug addicts. Smokey above has been sniffing out addict bullshit talk for some time now. He is right on.

Saddle up and quit. Just worry about today.
"borderline psychotic" = person who continues daily use of a product that they fully know will kill them

You're in this club with the rest of us.

You'll realize it one day, when (if) you can clearly see that it is the addict within you that is speaking of "tomorrow."
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65

You are a chewer making the choice to continue to chew. I have zero respect for you and your future tense quit rhetoric.
I am not surprised that your addiction to nicotine includes previous attempts to stop using nicotine. I'm not surprised that your addiction to nicotine includes the thought you can have just one more. I'm not surprised that your addiction to nicotine includes the thought of quitting tomorrow or on your terms. This is addict talk. I should know. I am a drug addict.

Welcome to a group of drug addicts. We understand. We are not asking that you quit forever...just for today. Not tomorrow, today. Trust me when I say this, you can not bullshit a room full of drug addicts. Maybe a room full of "normal people" but not drug addicts. Smokey above has been sniffing out addict bullshit talk for some time now. He is right on.

Wanna quit fine. Wanna tell me how the site works and how I should use the site to help you, GO FUCK YER SELF!
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline J2b

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
    • May 11
  • Quit Date: 01/23/2011
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »

Just to be clear, you tell us that you understand why we preach "quit now," then call us psychotic? I read your "other" intro, and saw nothing but support. I also loved how well you past plans have worked for you, so we MUST be wrong. 'Crazy'

"We realize that there are a variety of ways to be successful quitting chew. We will NOT tell you that one way is better than another, but we will tell you our experience and what has worked for us.  We will also tell you when you are doing something counterproductive to your quit. This quit is for you and about you. We are simply here to aid you along your journey. If you need "tough love" we will give that. If you need encouragement we will give that. If you need to be scared into quitting we will do that."
Note that these quitters here have found a method that works - quit, post roll, keep your word. Repeat. They told you why it worked for them and in their experience why your approach has a low success rate, and is counterproductive to your quit.

I hope you quit. I also hope that when you put in your first fakie and post roll, you realize the only thing you did was prolong the inevitable. Same as if you had "weaned" yourself off nic using NRT. There is no magic pill that makes quitting easier. Fake (or seeds or candy), in my opinion, helps most after the physical addiction is broken - during the initial 3 days its all about testicular fortitude. No amount of oral fixation replacements are going to alleviate the fog, the suck, and the pain of physical nicotine withdrawal.

So with that, I hope to see you on roll soon. I will be there tomorrow. Take it or leave it, but the best advice I could give you is just suck it up and quit. Quit now. Waiting is not worth it.
The problem is not the problem.  The problem is your attitude about the problem.  Do you understand?

Draw Fire

If its too much trouble to post roll call, you could always fuck off.

Quit Group: May 11 3 Balled Quitters

• Quit: 01/23/11

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

Offline MedStudent

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 351
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Quote from: NoMoreLies
you BETTER post role EVERY day else ol' LOOT might have a word or two with ya...
yeah, I'll be posting roll....I'm going out of town today for a backpacking trip with my buddies. Being out in the mountains is probably one of the biggest triggers I have for wanting a dip. All I need to do is get out there without making a stop at the store and I'll be fine (as far as not dipping, not fine as in how i'll be feeling). it will be three days where there is absolutely no possibility of me having a dip. My brain is playing tricks on me now, telling me, "You can chew on the backpacking trip, and then stop again as soon as you get back." This sucks.
i'd suggest you head over to novemeber 07, post roll, explain the situation and give your WORD that you won't dip on your trip...

accountability means everything my friend...
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24 / 65th - 5.9.24 / 66th - 8.17.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com

Offline MedStudent

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Quote from: NoMoreLies
you BETTER post role EVERY day else ol' LOOT might have a word or two with ya...
yeah, I'll be posting roll....I'm going out of town today for a backpacking trip with my buddies. Being out in the mountains is probably one of the biggest triggers I have for wanting a dip. All I need to do is get out there without making a stop at the store and I'll be fine (as far as not dipping, not fine as in how i'll be feeling). it will be three days where there is absolutely no possibility of me having a dip. My brain is playing tricks on me now, telling me, "You can chew on the backpacking trip, and then stop again as soon as you get back." This sucks.

Offline NoMoreLies

• Quitter
  • Interests: Computer Programming, Electronics, BaseBall, fishing, running, lifting weights
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
...but I've dealt with worse. I expect to be back to this site many times over the next few months for support from all of you.
Welcome glad to see you taking the first step in the right direction.

When you say you have dealt with worse... I don't know you or your specific situation but I know that I have been through some SHIT in my life and I mean some REAL shit... and this is the HARDEST thing I have EVER done... Honestly. I don't mean to discourage you, but don't go into it thinking "it will be tough but nothing I can't handle..." anyway, I don't know how to word it, you will know what I mean after a couple of days...

Also in regards to you coming back to the site many times ove the next few months... I hope you mean SEVERAL TIMES A DAY.... because you BETTER post role EVERY day else ol' LOOT might have a word or two with ya...

Bottom Line