Author Topic: toddrn2006-New Quitter  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: toddrn2006-New Quitter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Quote from: toddrn2006
How long do you think the withdraw from nicotine lasts? They may have to lock me up in a room somewhere. How long before things feel remotely normal?
Nic is out of your system within 4.5-5 days; the withdrawals last quite some time, the urges or the mental needs for Nic may never go away.

There is no need to be locked up in a rubber room; just redirect any anger to where it is deserved, the family is certainly not that. Call me and yell at me daily if you want, be pissed at big tobacco.

Get angry about all of it and take it out on the root cause or use it to fuel your quit.

It is not easy at all but take you hand, check to make sure then use those balls to own this quit.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline rickddd

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/6/2013
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Its a scary step to take, Todd, but only because the addiction is making you scared. The patch keeps you addicted to nicotine, you just dont have a dip in your mouth. Might as well smoke a cigarette. (well not exactly the same, but you get my point).

Get rid of the patch when you're ready to quit. It sounds like you've got some motivation to quit right now (or why else would you be here?) - if so, take off the patch and free yourself, and post up a Day 1 here on KTC.

Use any non-nicotine tools to help you quit - fake chew, gum, hard candy, and sunflower seeds will keep your mouth occupied. There is no way to get around the nicotine withdrawal symptoms, tho - you just have to go thru them. The good news is that it can absolutely be done! look around here at all the quitters to find some inspiration, and lets do this!
---------------------------
Quit Date: 1/6/2013
Hall of Fame: 4/15/2013
COMMA! 10/2/2015
42nd floor: 7/6/2024

Offline toddrn2006

• Interests: Sports-Football, Wrestling, Baseball Coaching Rec. LeagueHunting-Deer, Squirrel, Rabbit, Groundhog, CoyoteFishing-Trout, FlyDual Sports and Dirt Bikes Team YamahaChurch-BaptistCamping-Pop-up CampingCall of Duty Badass
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
How long do you think the withdraw from nicotine lasts? They may have to lock me up in a room somewhere. How long before things feel remotely normal?

Offline jayd41

• Quitter
  • Interests: Golf, basketball, anything related to Purdue! Boiler up! Friends and family
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
with the patch...i really think you won't be successful...you are administrating nicotine still. I'm was never really one to dump on guys for using replacements until someone asked if you would use a little bit of cocaine to quit cocaine.
Boy I sure could use a beer right about now!

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Quote from: toddrn2006
Thanks, I am considering doing just that-Taking it off and taking it like a man-but I want to be successful at this-Is this the smartes thing to do?
We all believe so, KTC has a proven track record.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline toddrn2006

• Interests: Sports-Football, Wrestling, Baseball Coaching Rec. LeagueHunting-Deer, Squirrel, Rabbit, Groundhog, CoyoteFishing-Trout, FlyDual Sports and Dirt Bikes Team YamahaChurch-BaptistCamping-Pop-up CampingCall of Duty Badass
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks, I am considering doing just that-Taking it off and taking it like a man-but I want to be successful at this-Is this the smartes thing to do?

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Todd,
Here at KTC we quit cold turkey; no nic gum, no patches, nothing but a bad ass and some replacement stuff (fake dip, gum, WTFE). It is not easy but then again neither is raising three kids which you know as well.

I will send you a PM, for you to review. Remember that you cannot post roll until you are off Nic completely. Believe it or not it helps.

My PM will describe thigns much more and hopefully will help you. It is great and yet unfortunate that cancer affected/afflicted someone so close to you. You have to want to quit and own it every day. The Nic bitch is tricky and right now she has you believing that you are weak.

In the PM is my phone number feel free to call or text anytime I would be happy to help you brother.

Pinched

Offline jayd41

• Quitter
  • Interests: Golf, basketball, anything related to Purdue! Boiler up! Friends and family
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
you're not gonna get a pass on the patch...rip it off and hold on tight...you'll go through the withdrawals whether you taper down or go cold turkey. If you rip off the patch you'll look back at yourself in a few weeks and laugh at yourself...ask Erussell about that. Anyhow, read all you can. It will help
Boy I sure could use a beer right about now!

Offline toddrn2006

toddrn2006-New Quitter
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Hello Killthecan.org community,
My name is Todd, I am 37 years old and live in the rural Appalachian Mtns. of Virginia. I started experimenting with snuff at the age of 12 and by the age of 13 I was dipping a can a day up until 8-18-13. My brand was skoal fine cut wintergreen, but I had moved to Long-cut the last few years. I had been planning to quit this summer. My parents got me the nicotine patch and the nicotine gum for Father's Day back in June. I wanted to wait until Dog Days were over this summer before I tried to quit. I am married, we have three kids a 19 yo son, a 12 yo daughter, and a 9 yo boy. I am an RN. I went directly to Nursing school after high school and have been a nurse for 16 years now. I have worked ER, Critical care, Adolescent psych, Adult psych, and I am now a pediatric case manager for special needs (cerebral palsy and other brain injury) patients. Last week I found out that a guy that grew up three houses up the street from me died. He found out in Jan. of 2013 that he had mouth cancer and died 2 weeks ago, mid-Aug. 2013. I didn't know him that well but I remember him. He was 5 years older than me growing up. A good guy, he had 2 kids just living a normal life; coaching baseball and working-typical dad/family guy it seems. But now that life is gone. It hit me hard. I want to beat this beast. I don't know how you guys view nicotine replacement, but I am on the patch and plan to taper down. It seems to be helping. I am using the Smokey Mtn. Wintergreen Herbal snuff, which has helped a great deal with the mental aspect of having the oral fix/hobby. I have tried in the past: Nicotine gum-failed (too much chewing), Wellbutrin-failed (insomnia side effect-very bad stuff), Zyban-failed (terrible stuff-could not even think right at all). Dont be too hard on me for using the patch-I am giving it my best shot to quit I am really tired to dipping. I am worried about triggers though, I have a very active outdoor life and dipped at all times in the past hunting, coaching, fishing, camping, riding dirt bikes-you name it I was dipping. :(