Author Topic: 9-11 marks 5 Years of Freedom for me  (Read 5099 times)

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Bean
Just re-read my post and you're right...I sound cocky. Please excuse the tone...this is hard and I'll take all the help I can get. I hope to write a HOF post in 89 days. I have a 2 year old boy and a newborn little girl and a wonferful wife...too much to throw away on stupid snuff!!!

You're also right about how the many dips in a day. This sounds crazy, but I had convinced myself that I was a "light dipper" just because cans lasted me a long time...small dips. I wish I were kidding.

If you would, can you tell me how to get to the section you recommended? I'm new a bulletin boards...sorry.
Looks like you found your group, nice job!

One more thing, don't hope to right a speech. You WILL write a speech.

Oh and another, read everything you can here. All the articles, check out the wildcard threads, find an old quit group and read it front to back. There is a ton of good information here and some pretty good comedy too.

Shout if you need anything, people will trip over each other to help out.

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Hey Now Bean!! Welcome aboard!
I'm happy to see your reply to redtrain.... Those dips add up pretty quick throughout the day dont they!!
Browse this site and read as much as possible. You will learn fast that everyone in here knows what your going through.
I have 2 little boys, 4 and 2, and a great wife. I've dipped for 27 years and it's sad I've been so sellfish and put my family in jeopardy.
But all I can do now is MAN UP and take a stand. The past is behind us, all we can do is take control of the future.

Brian

Offline GreMonster

• Interests: Fly Fishing, golfing, camping, basketball, college football, my kid's sporting activities and my kid's in general.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Bean. When I look at my craving (addiction) from the stand point of being clean for 12 days I think, "man, I justified a lot for dip". I need it to fly fish, i need it to work in my garage, i need it to stay awake while i drive, i need it to get by playing xbox, i need it to watch sports, i need it when i camp, - amazing how the tin can quickly consume and rule ones life. Thanks for your post and words of encouragement. You are with like minded people in KTC.
GreMonster USMC Vet

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Just re-read my post and you're right...I sound cocky. Please excuse the tone...this is hard and I'll take all the help I can get. I hope to write a HOF post in 89 days. I have a 2 year old boy and a newborn little girl and a wonferful wife...too much to throw away on stupid snuff!!!

You're also right about how the many dips in a day. This sounds crazy, but I had convinced myself that I was a "light dipper" just because cans lasted me a long time...small dips. I wish I were kidding.

If you would, can you tell me how to get to the section you recommended? I'm new a bulletin boards...sorry.

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Congrats on your decision. I'm not quite sure how to take your post yet, but....I want to make sure you aren't taking this to lightly. We all thought we were doing pretty well 9 days in.

For 20 years, nicotine was every part of the issue. Don't fool yourself into thinking it wasn't. That's addict speak.

You liked dipping snuff? We all thought that. That's just another way of telling ourselves that it was all okay when in reality, it just gave you the fix, or as you say relaxation you were craving.

Having mild withdrawl issues? Might I ask what you were doing at 2:30am googling "quit dip"?

Just a mowing lawn thing? After breakfast, to work, after lunch, on the way home, after dinner, doing something outside after work, hunting, fishing...... Starts to add up, no?

Do me a favor, when you have been quit for 50 days, revisit your post here. I would be interested to know if you feel the same way.

Now head over to your quit group, introduce yourself, post up and get involved.

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Quit Sept 11, 2010...after 20 years. Cold Turkey...no prep. (Didn't find this site until about 2:30 in the morning last night).

For me, it was more of a driving/mowing the lawn habit than an addiction to nicotine (at least I tell myself that). Withdrawl symptoms are not too bad at all...except driving to/from work, after meals, out door activities like fishing/hunting.

Family was my motivation - wife and kids. They don't know My main problem is that I liked to dip snuff. I just liked it. Since I have such mild withdrawal symtoms, I tell myself that the nicotine wasn't the issue. It was just part of the relaxing routine.

But I'm not caving. I'm done.

Offline lwildma2

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 9-9-15
Re: 9-11 marks 5 Years of Freedom for me
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
9-11 was a national tragedy. But it may have saved my life. I've told this story before, but I can't find my original intro. (I think it maybe too old?!!) Anyway, 5 years ago today...about right now in fact...I was watching a "9-11 Survivor's" show. They featured a little boy who lost his father when the Towers came down. He was about 12 or 13 at during the interview...which would have made him my son's age (2 or 3) at the time of the attack. That young man described how difficult life had been growing up without a father. How other father's chipped in best they could to teach him to throw a baseball, go trick or treating, talk about girls, etc. But nothing could replace having a real dad. Then he got quiet, paused and said that he "missed his daddy." He collapsed into tears. I lost it too...full on crying in front of the TV...with my son in my lap and dip in my lip.

Then it hit me. I was going to quit. I was overcome with determination. I spit it out right then and there. I finally had clarity and focus on ONE THING...being quit. My son would not suffer what this young man had been though. His tragic loss was due to no fault of his father's. Whereas, I was stuffing my stupid face with poison for 20 years!!!

I didn't know how I was going to do it. But I did. I struggled along nic-free for nine days until I found this site at about 3 in the morning (wasn't sleeping much at that time). I posted a weak intro. And to my surprise, someone answered right away with a link about posting roll. So I did. I met you folks. I learned how to quit ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Since then, I've coached my son's T-ball, little league, soccer. I've been to my daughter's dance recitals. I read thousands of bedtime books. And, I'm the one my wife hugs. I don't know if I would have found my determination if not for the tragic events of 9-11. I still hate that day. And I hate that so many suffered so much. But, for me personally, there is a silver lining...that I'm here with you living free ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Never Forget and Quit On,
- Bean
What a positive message and congratulations on 5 years.

Quit on man Quit on.

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Hey Mods, can you combine this with my original intro...because I'm to stooopid to figure it out!!!

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
9-11 was a national tragedy. But it may have saved my life. I've told this story before, but I can't find my original intro. (I think it maybe too old?!!) Anyway, 5 years ago today...about right now in fact...I was watching a "9-11 Survivor's" show. They featured a little boy who lost his father when the Towers came down. He was about 12 or 13 at during the interview...which would have made him my son's age (2 or 3) at the time of the attack. That young man described how difficult life had been growing up without a father. How other father's chipped in best they could to teach him to throw a baseball, go trick or treating, talk about girls, etc. But nothing could replace having a real dad. Then he got quiet, paused and said that he "missed his daddy." He collapsed into tears. I lost it too...full on crying in front of the TV...with my son in my lap and dip in my lip.

Then it hit me. I was going to quit. I was overcome with determination. I spit it out right then and there. I finally had clarity and focus on ONE THING...being quit. My son would not suffer what this young man had been though. His tragic loss was due to no fault of his father's. Whereas, I was stuffing my stupid face with poison for 20 years!!!

I didn't know how I was going to do it. But I did. I struggled along nic-free for nine days until I found this site at about 3 in the morning (wasn't sleeping much at that time). I posted a weak intro. And to my surprise, someone answered right away with a link about posting roll. So I did. I met you folks. I learned how to quit ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Since then, I've coached my son's T-ball, little league, soccer. I've been to my daughter's dance recitals. I read thousands of bedtime books. And, I'm the one my wife hugs. I don't know if I would have found my determination if not for the tragic events of 9-11. I still hate that day. And I hate that so many suffered so much. But, for me personally, there is a silver lining...that I'm here with you living free ONE DAY AT A TIME.

- Bean
Great share Bean. I bumped your intro forward yesterday to say thanks for all the support you pitch to the new guys in these intros, as well as a congrats on 5 years. Your original intro is near the bottom of this first page of intros if you want to check it out.

Thanks for the share and together we will never forget.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline Bean

• Quitter
9-11 marks 5 Years of Freedom for me
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »

- Bean