Author Topic: Today I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again. (A journey through one man's recovery)  (Read 56781 times)

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
Beliefs

Beliefs are simply thoughts that we keep repeating to ourselves.  Keep thinking that you are done with nicotine and you are done with nicotine.  It's that simple.  Next time you get a crave, think "I'm done with nicotine."  Buy some sunflower seeds or sour Jolly Ranchers and suck the hell out of them!!!

You're done with nicotine!!!
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
They say that, after 5 years, relapse is rare.  It was almost 5 years ago that I read that.  Now I'm here, 5 years quit, 5 years free.

I've learned a lot.  Learned a lot about addiction.  Learned a lot about myself.

Quitting nicotine opened a door for me to expand into my future.  I was turning 56.  Now I'm turning 61.  I weigh close to the same as when I graduated high school.  I'm in the best physical shape of my life.  I've started a business.  My world is expanding.

I've left nicotine behind.  I no longer think about it.  I'm focused on where I want to be next.

My lesson to you:  Focus on where you want to be, where you are going.  If you are still alive, you're going somewhere.  Where?
Congrats, bud!
Congrats brother!
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Aggies94

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 278
They say that, after 5 years, relapse is rare.  It was almost 5 years ago that I read that.  Now I'm here, 5 years quit, 5 years free.

I've learned a lot.  Learned a lot about addiction.  Learned a lot about myself.

Quitting nicotine opened a door for me to expand into my future.  I was turning 56.  Now I'm turning 61.  I weigh close to the same as when I graduated high school.  I'm in the best physical shape of my life.  I've started a business.  My world is expanding.

I've left nicotine behind.  I no longer think about it.  I'm focused on where I want to be next.

My lesson to you:  Focus on where you want to be, where you are going.  If you are still alive, you're going somewhere.  Where?
Congrats, bud!
It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living!

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1619

Congrats brother
Jan19

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • LTBE- Quittin since 12/30/20
  • Interests: traveling,Hunting,backpacking, Fully Sending it, working out, reading, God, Motivation
  • Likes Given: 1868

'Have a beer' Raising a Glass to 5 years and a Badass quitter! Congratulations friend!
I may not be a smart man, but I know what quit is! -Quitest Gump-
     -Don't plan for the future, Quit for today!-
"The way to get started is to (quit) talking and begin doing." Walt Disney
~you cant plan your quit you just have to do it, both feet free fall.~
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the Valiant never taste of death but once"
Daily Devotional

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo

“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
Re: Today, I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again
« Reply #277 on: February 04, 2021, 09:12:21 PM »
Getting to - "Not thinking about it anymore" - day 134ish

I've read several posts, on several quit groups, where people say they've stopped posting roll because they only think about nic when they post roll. They don't want to think about nicotine anymore.

I think about nicotine every time I visit this site. In fact, I visit this site because I want to think about nicotine. I am an obsessive personality, and I'm currently obsessed with nicotine. That's why I've researched it so much, and shared most of this research in my intro thread. They say that PAWs lasts for two years. They say that, after five years, relapse is rare. After 38 years of tobacco use, 5 years is a small period of time.

There you go. I want to keep that bitch in front of me, where I can see it until my chance of relapse is rare. I've had too many times in the past 100 days that, if I didn't start the day by finding that bitch and keeping her in front of me, she would've snuck up behind me and crawled up my ass.

Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted.

I'm closing in on five years of freedom from nicotine.  I want to revisit this post because it's stuck with me this long.  This post was 1673 days ago.  Seems like last week.

I don't think about nicotine much anymore.  I still post roll every day.  I had a dip dream a couple of weeks ago.  It didn't affect me at all.  No emotional reaction.  I had stuffed my lip with dip, and some young girl was trying to kiss me, and I was trying to figure out how to hide the dip from her.  No shame, no remorse, just a strange dream of me doing something (two things actually) that I will never do: have a "twenty something" on my lap kissing me, and having dip in my mouth.

I didn't even wake up.  I went on to another dream.

After almost five years, I don't crave nicotine.  I don't think about it much.  Posting roll doesn't make me think about nicotine.

I'm not cured.  I'm an addict.  I post roll every day because I'm an addict.  I'm addicted to posting roll.  I'm addicted to texting a few quit brothers every morning.  I'm addicted to being free from nicotine.

Choose your addictions, just don't choose nicotine.  That's why you're here.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
Day 1510 - My latest dip dream.

Last night I had a dream.  Unlike previous dip dreams, this was not about the act of putting nicotine in my body.  This was about the betrayal.

At the start of the dream, I had already been using for a few days, while putting forth the image that I was still quit.  I was at a crossroads.  How much longer should I go on with this charade?

Holy fock!  The dream faded, as all dreams do, but the feeling of betrayal, mainly to those with whom I share daily texts, lingered.  We are not safe, never will be.
That boy in October '18 (fitz?) did that. Was popping lippers for months and posting roll before his conscience ate a hole through his soul. I remember thinking then that it read like a bad dream. If they're good for anything, they're like to ghost of Christmas yet to come showing us things that may be. I don't ever want to be there.
Me neither, brother.  The dream was a nightmare!  They say that, after 5 years, relapse is rare.  I'm on track to get there, but I know I can quit for a day.  That day is today.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651

Last night I had a dream.  Unlike previous dip dreams, this was not about the act of putting nicotine in my body.  This was about the betrayal.

At the start of the dream, I had already been using for a few days, while putting forth the image that I was still quit.  I was at a crossroads.  How much longer should I go on with this charade?

Holy fock!  The dream faded, as all dreams do, but the feeling of betrayal, mainly to those with whom I share daily texts, lingered.  We are not safe, never will be.
That boy in October '18 (fitz?) did that. Was popping lippers for months and posting roll before his conscience ate a hole through his soul. I remember thinking then that it read like a bad dream. If they're good for anything, they're like to ghost of Christmas yet to come showing us things that may be. I don't ever want to be there.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
Spend the next 10 minutes of your life watching this video:

https://youtu.be/GMiuA0tYshw
Very cool!  I didn't know you were bald too!  I love you even more!!!!

Ha!  That's Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert.  I have hair, albeit it's a silver shade of blonde.

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555

Definitely something to chew on. 
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651

"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 570
I sincerely hope that he recovers from his addiction and gets back to advising people of the overburdening BS in the world, where the whaambulance left cannot put forth a coherent argument.

The world needs this guy, maybe now more than ever.
To remain quit requires focus