Author Topic: Today I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again. (A journey through one man's recovery)  (Read 8158 times)

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 8
Spend the next 10 minutes of your life watching this video:

https://youtu.be/GMiuA0tYshw
Very cool!  I didn't know you were bald too!  I love you even more!!!!

Ha!  That's Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert.  I have hair, albeit it's a silver shade of blonde.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 825

Definitely something to chew on. 
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA: 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20   

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 926

"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba….

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo

“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 212
I sincerely hope that he recovers from his addiction and gets back to advising people of the overburdening BS in the world, where the whaambulance left cannot put forth a coherent argument.

The world needs this guy, maybe now more than ever.
To remain quit requires focus
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
Something worth watching, addict or not....

https://youtu.be/aMcjxSThD54
I have devoured everything I could find on/from Jordan Peterson over the past year.  He is so brilliant...and thoughtful people everywhere should watch his videos and read his books!

Lobsters rule!
You are one of my favorite quitters.  A lobster for sure!  Nothing gets you down!  If KTC is looking for a definition of support, they just need to look at your post history. 

Thank you Patty!

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 825

I have devoured everything I could find on/from Jordan Peterson over the past year.  He is so brilliant...and thoughtful people everywhere should watch his videos and read his books!

Lobsters rule!
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA: 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20   

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Addict
Wildirish is free
No more a slave don’t you see
My friend walks with me
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba….

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
Another shameless bump.  If you are new here, start here.  That's a link.  Click it.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
I'm going to bump my own thread, out of pure selfishness.  I think there's a lot of experience here to draw upon, and I still come here to recall the suffering of the early days and my reaction to it.  I want to keep it near the top of the introductions.

I will say that conquering my addiction has taught me that I am capable of more than I ever imagined.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Addict
I share stuff that I find on the internet on my Twitter and Facebook feeds from time to time.  This one is worth sharing everywhere.

Something to ponder.  Don't try to consume this in one sitting.  Oh, and it's not really about getting rich.  More about enriching your life.

https://nav.al/
It is a lot, like you said, not all at one sitting.  Rather enjoyed it so far as I've found a few gems in it already. If knowledge truly is power - that's really powerful stuff. The argument re: makers and takers struck a chord as did his lesson on status and those deceitfully maneuvering for it. We see a lot of it in today's political games - he just defines it well here. Thanks for rolling that out.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
I share stuff that I find on the internet on my Twitter and Facebook feeds from time to time.  This one is worth sharing everywhere.

Something to ponder.  Don't try to consume this in one sitting.  Oh, and it's not really about getting rich.  More about enriching your life.

https://nav.al/

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
THE PAST DOESN’T EXIST

Facts are less important than you think

What’s important is what happens next.  It is far less important what has already happened.

The past doesn’t exist.  It’s only in our minds.

So, what does exist?  Our imagination, let’s work with that.  Will it help if we imagine a better future for ourselves?

For those of you on day one, you are not a nicotine user.  You declared “I am quit”, and that is your present.  You imagine yourself waking up tomorrow and declaring “I am quit today!”  That is your future.  It doesn’t exist either, but unlike the past, it will.

When you get that craving for nicotine, your imagination kicks in.  Do you imagine your stress level rising to the point that you go crazy if you don’t use nicotine, or do you imagine yourself on the other side of the craving saying “I am still quit!”?  That’s the battle that’s waged in the present to shape your future.

You can’t shape the past because it doesn’t exist.  Focus your life on shaping your future because it will exist, and you can change the shape of the future by what you do in the present.

This works for everything in life.  Fortunately, you are in an intense battle for freedom that will teach you life lessons - if you pay attention. 

For more on this:  Positive Thinking

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
LESSONS FROM QUITTING

Quitting nicotine is difficult.  Some addiction experts state that nicotine is the most difficult addiction to arrest.  I'm not here to debate which addiction has the strongest grip on its addicts, I'm want to shine some light on the bonus benefits of breaking the nicotine addiction.

Bonus #1:  The System
It takes a system to break an addiction.  What is a system?  It's something you do EVERY DAY that ensures you are moving in the direction you want to go. 

The system to quit, to break the nicotine addiction, is to log onto an internet website every day, and make a promise to a bunch of people you've never met that you will not use nicotine today.

Systems work with other areas of your life as well.  Ever read "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"?  The habits are systems:  Be proactive.  Begin with the end in mind.  etc.  Start each day with "what is the most important issue I need to resolve today?"  That's proactive.  That's a system.

Bonus #2:  Affirmations
Affirmations are short phrases that you repeat often throughout the day.  Repeat them often enough, and they come true.  Our affirmation is "I am quit today."  We make this affirmation in the face of cravings.  This happens often during the first three days of our quit, and more frequently than we'd like during the next 97 days.  Cravings taper off after that, but it helps to maintain the affirmations at least a couple of times a day for the next year or two - until you get past PAWS.

Affirmations work for other areas of life too.  If you want to be more patient with other people, make the affirmation "I am calm and patient with people who need my help" ten or twelve times a day.  Write this down if it helps.  You will be amazed at how much more patient you are with people after a couple of weeks.  To be effective, affirmations must state the situation that you want as if you're already there.  "I am quit".

I'm done for today.  Check back later for more, or feel free to add to this list.