Author Topic: Stressed out Mom and Quitting  (Read 24257 times)

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stressed out Mom and Quitting
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Quote from: noonelikesaquitter
Quote from: Souliman
I'm having a hard time with the complacency towards putting on weight. We have all shown some tremendous will and determination to stop using. We have made a decision that our lives and our bodies are important. Making the decision to adopt a healthy life style with a balanced diet and regular exercise is diametrically opposed to the decision to ingest poison everyday. If you want to do everything you can to quit and protect your quit, I would urge you to go "above and beyond" what you think you are capable of. Will you fail at exercise? Sure. I fail all the time. I set my goal just out of my reach everyday because that's how you make change.

You are now empowered by your mental strength of quit. Act on it. Use its power to make you who you want to be. I don't mean to preach but this is something I am very passionate about and is a corner stone of the foundation of my quit. Be the person you want to be.
I'm not showing complacency, all I'm saying is, at Day 19 or Day 25...don't freak out about it.

For me personally, I needed to got solid in my quit before I could tackle other things like exercise, diet, etc.

If you get too stressed about the 'side effects' of quitting, you may start to challenge yourself on the necessity of quitting. In an early quit, doubt can lead to weakness...and then failure.

Quit today.

Worry about tomorrow.....well....tomorrow.
WERD! 'archer'

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Quote from: Souliman
I'm having a hard time with the complacency towards putting on weight. We have all shown some tremendous will and determination to stop using. We have made a decision that our lives and our bodies are important. Making the decision to adopt a healthy life style with a balanced diet and regular exercise is diametrically opposed to the decision to ingest poison everyday. If you want to do everything you can to quit and protect your quit, I would urge you to go "above and beyond" what you think you are capable of. Will you fail at exercise? Sure. I fail all the time. I set my goal just out of my reach everyday because that's how you make change.

You are now empowered by your mental strength of quit. Act on it. Use its power to make you who you want to be. I don't mean to preach but this is something I am very passionate about and is a corner stone of the foundation of my quit. Be the person you want to be.
I'm not showing complacency, all I'm saying is, at Day 19 or Day 25...don't freak out about it.

For me personally, I needed to got solid in my quit before I could tackle other things like exercise, diet, etc.

If you get too stressed about the 'side effects' of quitting, you may start to challenge yourself on the necessity of quitting. In an early quit, doubt can lead to weakness...and then failure.

Quit today.

Worry about tomorrow.....well....tomorrow.
What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Quote from: chewife
You are now empowered by your mental strength of quit. Act on it. Use its power to make you who you want to be. I don't mean to preach but this is something I am very passionate about and is a corner stone of the foundation of my quit. Be the person you want to be
Oh , Souliman lack of passion and drive is definately not a problem for you but is for me! :(
Chewiefe I need to get you into the Souliman Professional Training School. There, you will learn the art of bending steel with your mind, foes will drop to your feet as you pass by just by the sight of awesomeness and your chosen attire of mini-skirts and stilettos will feel as good as warm apple pie as you walk the path.

Offline chewife

• Quitter
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
You are now empowered by your mental strength of quit. Act on it. Use its power to make you who you want to be. I don't mean to preach but this is something I am very passionate about and is a corner stone of the foundation of my quit. Be the person you want to be
Oh , Souliman lack of passion and drive is definately not a problem for you but is for me! :(

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »

Offline nicofiend

• Quitter
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Quote from: wo1miles
OK What is happening to me? Is this what I get for quitting cause if so its really discouraging. TEN, yes TEN pounds gained in 19 days.
I've gained 15 lbs. in 24 days. What this means is that all along I was SUPPOSED to be around this weight, I think. I figure my body is going back to it's chemical free normal weight.
Yeah if you can stay at that weight without gaining more it would be fine. I couldnt Hell Ive been quit close to five months and Ive packed on 30 lbs and I stay damned active!! But its better than shoving poison in my face!! nico

Offline wo1miles

• Quitter
  • Interests: Baseball, Football, Basketball, Bowling, Reading, Writing, Spending time with the kiddos, watching movies with the love of my life (wife).
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
OK What is happening to me? Is this what I get for quitting cause if so its really discouraging. TEN, yes TEN pounds gained in 19 days.
I've gained 15 lbs. in 24 days. What this means is that all along I was SUPPOSED to be around this weight, I think. I figure my body is going back to it's chemical free normal weight.
Your mind is a lying, cheating, stealing whore. Your body is a saint. Now, who are YOU going to listen to?

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Quote from: Capt
Hi Chewife,
What you need is a positive replacement for that poison you were putting in your mouth....any kind of exercise will help your mind and your cravings....focusing on your quit should be priority, but a tired body will equal a quiet mind...
Capt's got it nailed. I second that.

Offline Capt Kylos

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-11-28
  • Interests: 2nd Dan Black Belt ITF Taekwondo, Judo, Krav Maga,Jujitsu, fishing, single malt scotch and craft beer.
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Hi Chewife,
What you need is a positive replacement for that poison you were putting in your mouth....any kind of exercise will help your mind and your cravings....focusing on your quit should be priority, but a tired body will equal a quiet mind...
Chew is for the weak, the ignorant, the stupid.....don't be stupid. Not stupid as of 11/28/10
Before you cave read this http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?showtopic=4938
Acting with almost as much speed as cyanide, nicotine is well
established as one of the most toxic drugs known. In humans,
60mg (a drop) is a lethal dose, and death follows intake within a few minutes. Dr. Charles Ksir

Mouth cancer kills
one American every hour.

Stay Quit...it's life or death.....
Don't Cave

Offline ODAAT

• Quitter
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Chewife, start running a little during the walks. NOLAQ is right that you can't focus on exercise right now. Theo is dead on with carrots and other veggies to munch on. But if you start to run a little, you will burn a ton of calories. Trust me it will help...
My quit told me if I ever leave, it will kill me.

Nicotine owned me for 24 years. I resumed control on Feb. 1, 2011.
HOF Date: 05/11/2011

"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." -- Mark Twain

Offline Timeless117

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Interests: You and only you.
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Part of my funk right now is from gaining weight. I'm sick of it. I gained a ton of weight when I stopped swimming and then start to lose a bunch and got lazy again. I know I need to worry about quitting. But if I can't be happy with me and the way I look then I can't quit successfully, imo.
I need to start working out, but my body can't get into a rhythm yet. Hopefully soon. Staying on the beach for the time being and would love to start running on it and swimming a few miles down the coast line.
Day 1: 09/12/2011
HOF: 12/20/2011
1 year: 09/11/2012

HOF Speech: Day 100, Just another day in the life of Timeless

Now, like all great plans, my strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it.

Proud member of the Brotherhood of Men on Planet Earth

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Start exercising now! Exercise is a great distraction and even greater stress reducer. Get off yer ass and move. Another suggestion is hard sugar free candy. Great for the oral fixation and very few calories.
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline DennyX

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: BD: 1978my family, fishing, outdoors
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Yep, +1 NOLAQ. I did 11 lbs in 10 days or something very close to that and now I sit at 105 days clean and 15 lbs up. I've done exactly what NOLAQ said: I've gorged myself because being quit in #1 priority. I've just started exercising to work it off, stay tuned. I'll get back to crack whore skinny in a couple months of easy workouts, just sill take time. For now: focus on your quit. Exercise later and enjoy the nachos and pizza for now.

Offline theo3wood

• Quitter
  • Interests: Growing delicious food and pretty flowers, and sharing them with people I love.
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
OK What is happening to me? Is this what I get for quitting cause if so its really discouraging. TEN, yes TEN pounds gained in 19 days. I know I know I need to "watch what I eat and exercise" Well easier said than done when your constantly cravind SOMETHING and trying to fill that oral fixation. My gosh I never realized how little I ate when I chewed. Like a natural appetite supressant. Now the floodgates have opened. If I dont have something in my mouth at all times I get fidgety and nervous and ornery. I crave stuff like I never used to. Taco Bell, Arbys, giant loaded pizzas!!!?? What used to be a treat is now like a necessity. TEN pounds. Oh and Ive been walking almost every night and am in the best shape Ive been in in awhile. Yet the pounds just keep on comin'!!! My digestive tract has grinded to a halt and I am as bloated as hell. This is just depressing. Is this what I get?? I wont get cancer and die Ill just get obese. Nice tradeoff.
Now where is my frosting and nachos.Stat.
Listen, right now, quitting is the only thing you need to worry about. You can loose weight later.

I know it's different for men than women, but when I quit, I put on a good 20 pounds. I knew I was getting overweight, but put that on a back burner until I had a solid quit.

One year later (I did it one day at a time), I started working out, and loosing weight. But only cuz I could FOCUS on it.

Right now, you can't focus on shit except keeping worm shit outta your face. Fill that void with whatever you want, as long as it's not nicotine.

The weight will come.
NOLAQ's dead on right on this.

But, I'll add a little tip that might help...satisfy your munchie craving with raw vegetables...baby carrots  broccoli worked for me.

I'm over three years quit now, and I still go through a bag of carrots most days that I'm in the office.

I put on about twenty pounds too, but have since burned it all off. You will too.
"the cycle is over. we are clean. we are shining beacons to the masses that think it can't be done." ...LooT

"We have the right to watch our children grow and have earned the right to participate in their lives. We will not be denied. Success can be our only option now. We can never tire, give up, fail, or falter. We are worth more than this addiction and will stop at nothing to beat it." ...Sweenz

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 351
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
OK What is happening to me? Is this what I get for quitting cause if so its really discouraging. TEN, yes TEN pounds gained in 19 days. I know I know I need to "watch what I eat and exercise" Well easier said than done when your constantly cravind SOMETHING and trying to fill that oral fixation. My gosh I never realized how little I ate when I chewed. Like a natural appetite supressant. Now the floodgates have opened. If I dont have something in my mouth at all times I get fidgety and nervous and ornery. I crave stuff like I never used to. Taco Bell, Arbys, giant loaded pizzas!!!?? What used to be a treat is now like a necessity. TEN pounds. Oh and Ive been walking almost every night and am in the best shape Ive been in in awhile. Yet the pounds just keep on comin'!!! My digestive tract has grinded to a halt and I am as bloated as hell. This is just depressing. Is this what I get?? I wont get cancer and die Ill just get obese. Nice tradeoff.
Now where is my frosting and nachos.Stat.
Listen, right now, quitting is the only thing you need to worry about. You can loose weight later.

I know it's different for men than women, but when I quit, I put on a good 20 pounds. I knew I was getting overweight, but put that on a back burner until I had a solid quit.

One year later (I did it one day at a time), I started working out, and loosing weight. But only cuz I could FOCUS on it.

Right now, you can't focus on shit except keeping worm shit outta your face. Fill that void with whatever you want, as long as it's not nicotine.

The weight will come.
http://www.killthecan.org/robs/weight.asp

The health implication of a minor weight gain is negligible in comparison to the health risks posed by chewing. The average chewer would have to gain over 75 to 100 pounds to put the additional workload on the heart that is experienced by chewing, and this is not saying anything about the cancer risk associated with dipping.

I gained about 40 lbs... still haven't taken it off (5+ years later). Am I happy being fat? Hell no. But I'd much rather be a rolly-poly-Chewie than a dead one.

Just saying.
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24 / 65th - 5.9.24 / 66th - 8.17.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com